04-30-2013 03:52 PM
164 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Go with Go SMS..Samsung has the most horrible SMS app on any smartphone. Its hideous to use.
    04-29-2013 09:39 PM
    I'll be honest, all these post complaining about lag are worrying me. I was just about to grab this phone tomorrow morning on release (Bell Canada). Now I don't know what to do!? A phone this powerful should have absolutely zero lag.
    04-29-2013 09:45 PM
    I'll be honest, all these post complaining about lag are worrying me. I was just about to grab this phone tomorrow morning on release (Bell Canada). Now I don't know what to do!? A phone this powerful should have absolutely zero lag.
    If you can just spend some time playing around with the phone do that and base your decision on your personal experience.

My phone is a good One!
    rawnzii likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:48 PM
    Do you have an S4, Kevin? Because I do. I also can say that of the people that I know that have the phone and are experienced with a plethora of other devices, there's been no lag. Stutters via the animations in Touchwiz? Sure. What do you think screen transitions in the gallery are? For those that have turned the animations off, they've reported it being fixed.

So am I in denial? Not at all. I do, however, own the phone and have not experienced these issues myself. I've talked to Brian Klug about it and he confirmed there's some janky animations that would be perceived lag, but that's it.

I have to admit that I find it amusing that you're getting involved on a topic you have no first hand experience on. Then again, you've been pretty adamant about defending the One so I guess it should come as no surprise.

If it makes you feel better, let's pretend the S4 is slow and laggy outside the animations. Perhaps then you'll be happy with the phone choice you made.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Cool. I didn't bring the One up, you did. Looks like people are still reporting lag in stock apps IN THIS VERY THREAD. But I guess since you aren't experiencing them they don't exist, right? Pretty sure that I said (and you ignored) the fact that I said your fix has helped some but not all, because the transitions are different than the lag. Also never said anything about anybody not appreciating you answering questions. That's what the forums are here for. But your solution isn't the solution for all of the perceived (and reported) performance issues.

Oh, and please, post a transcript of your conversation with Brian Klug. You keep throwing around his name like we're going to be impressed.

I don't have to own the phone to know that people are reporting issues. I own the One. There are bugs. I have none. I don't go around acting like there aren't just because I don't experience them.
    04-29-2013 09:57 PM
    Lol at the lag fight! You want to see REAL lag? Take away the transition animations from the iphone. There we go, that would lag the most. Lag argument solved:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 10:24 PM
    Cool. I didn't bring the One up, you did. Looks like people are still reporting lag in stock apps IN THIS VERY THREAD. But I guess since you aren't experiencing them they don't exist, right? Pretty sure that I said (and you ignored) the fact that I said your fix has helped some but not all, because the transitions are different than the lag. Also never said anything about anybody not appreciating you answering questions. That's what the forums are here for. But your solution isn't the solution for all of the perceived (and reported) performance issues.

Oh, and please, post a transcript of your conversation with Brian Klug. You keep throwing around his name like we're going to be impressed.

I don't have to own the phone to know that people are reporting issues. I own the One. There are bugs. I have none. I don't go around acting like there aren't just because I don't experience them.
    Who is Brian Klug

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    04-29-2013 10:30 PM
    I see all these problems with lag and only one person saying it's not their and fighting for his life telling ppl it's not their and Samsung will release and update to fix it. Does he work for Samsung? This phone had my interest and was going to pick it up tomorrow until I saw this thread and now I'm going to pick up the One instead. That would really **** me off to get a laggy phone because ppl don't tell the truth and have a bias going on. I'm glad you guys actually came out and said the phone has lag, because not many reviews said such a thing and said the phone was smooth. Thank you all for the honesty.
    04-29-2013 10:42 PM
    Who is Brian Klug

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    The guy that reviews most of the phones for Anandtech
    DroidXcon and craZDude like this.
    04-29-2013 10:45 PM
    I see all these problems with lag and only one person saying it's not their and fighting for his life telling ppl it's not their and Samsung will release and update to fix it. Does he work for Samsung? This phone had my interest and was going to pick it up tomorrow until I saw this thread and now I'm going to pick up the One instead. That would really **** me off to get a laggy phone because ppl don't tell the truth and have a bias going on. I'm glad you guys actually came out and said the phone has lag, because not many reviews said such a thing and said the phone was smooth. Thank you all for the honesty.
    I had the One since the 18th, liked most everything about it. It was smooth, no stutter or lag, gorgeous phone and awesome screen. I've always been a fan of Samsung (S2, Skyrocket, S3, Note 2). So I've been fighting a little devil in my head to try the S4, devil won and I exchanged the One for the S4 on Saturday. BIG MISTAKE! The S4 is laggy, Wifi signal repeatedly drops, TouchWiz use to be tolerable but now it's just a bloated septic tank of a OS. You could strip the 5% of whats left of Android out of the phone and it would stand on it's own. You expect to see android somewhere and but it's buried. I read another describe it as a 2003 HP computer with all the crap on here, that's pretty accurate. The S4 screen is gorgeous and the camera software is awesome, but the rest of the OS just wreaks. On paper it looks like a phenomenal device, in practice it's anything but. No premium device should lag this bad. I would equate the S4 to having a really hot chick sitting on your face and then ripping ***, totally kills the experience. I've loved their devices in the past and I thought I owed it to myself to try it, but now I'm stuck graveling back to the ATT store manager hoping he lets me do another exchange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 10:50 PM
    As usual play with the S4 and the One then judge for yourself, reviews and opinions are nice for guidance but only you will know what's right for you.

My phone is a good One!
    04-29-2013 10:52 PM
    As usual play with the S4 and the One then judge for yourself, reviews and opinions are nice for guidance but only you will know what's right for you.

My phone is a good One!
    I don't have time to play with the displays at the stores since the stores are always busy when I visit them. I also like to get in and out as soon as possible. That's why I always wait for forum posters to post their experiences since I really don't trust tech sites when it comes to reviews.
    04-29-2013 11:00 PM
    I don't have time to play with the displays at the stores since the stores are always busy when I visit them. I also like to get in and out as soon as possible. That's why I always wait for forum posters to post their experiences since I really don't trust tech sites when it comes to reviews.
    Ok. I like going hands on because too many people just exaggerate how great or bad of an experience they had with that phone. Just going by the negative posts here I would be led to believe the S4 is a cheap, flimsy, thrown together device with laggy software and a second rate screen because it's pentile.

My phone is a good One!
    04-29-2013 11:09 PM
    The guy that reviews most of the phones for Anandtech
    Tracked down the convo. Brian believes it may be janky animations, but he doesn't address at all the lag within the actual apps. Whatever the reason, somethings not right that Samsung will have to address. The poster in question also manages to insult everyone that dares bring up the issue, and strongly implies the lag is imagined.
    04-29-2013 11:59 PM
    So much lag on this device... When can we expect to get the Key Lime update? Never?
    04-30-2013 12:49 AM
    Goddam it samsung!!!! You and your bloated software!!!! Is this phone even gonna last any longer than 2 years before exploding??? Stop releasing half-baked products!!!!
    04-30-2013 12:53 AM
    =.= Apple needs to release something soon so all the belly aching will stop.

My phone is a good One!
    04-30-2013 01:10 AM
    I wonder if this lag is similar to what some of us Nexus 7 owners seen when 4.2.2 came out. Guaranteed it's a software issue nothing more.

Sent from my HTC One
    04-30-2013 01:25 AM
    I'd like to call it "stuttering" more than "lag". On my EVO 4G LTE, I could type out full text messages that wouldn't even display on the screen, wait about 2 seconds, and then watch the letters type themselves out. That's what I call lag!

In terms of the stuttering/lag, I definitely think it's a Samsung software problem. Messaging, Internet, Gallery seem to be the biggest culprits. Some apps like Facebook, Instagram and Google+ seem to scroll buttery smooth for long periods while even loading photos while scrolling.

With that sad, the stuttering/lag isn't a deal breaker...I think I can live with it...and hopefully an OTA will fix it a little bit.
    04-30-2013 01:42 AM
    You're going to be using this device for quite a while... and probably every day at that. I would play with it a little.

From all the videos I've seen, this "lag" seems minimal if barely there.
    It is odd for Samsung to release a phone with animations that are somewhat laggy, but this thread is blowing it up really badly.

Anyway, Samsung will probably issue an update if this is apparent to them.
    04-30-2013 01:53 AM
    You're going to be using this device for quite a while... and probably every day at that. I would play with it a little.

From all the videos I've seen, this "lag" seems minimal if barely there.
    It is odd for Samsung to release a phone with animations that are somewhat laggy, but this thread is blowing it up really badly.

Anyway, Samsung will probably issue an update if this is apparent to them.
    Far as the animations, I've seen it on my Note, Note 2, and Infuse but turning it to 0.5 solved that problem. Far as other kind of lag, I probably never noticed it.

My phone is a good One!
    04-30-2013 02:10 AM
    I think I have solve this problem...... I noticed a stutter here and the also especially when swiping thru home screens. I found if you turn off the animator duration scale and keep the other two at 0.5 all that stutter goes away. My s4 is now smooth as butter with no stutter. Also is the only phone on the market right now other than the nexus devices with 4.2.2 so I think some optimizations still needed to be done but no worries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    04-30-2013 02:26 AM
    My BB10 with dual core is smooth as can be.

Sorry had to do it lol
    I am with you on this. I want to give up my BB z10 (company's phone) and only use the S4 due to the z10 is currently lacking some apps that I am using daily, but I couldn't give it up because the z10 is super smooth.

I am now using both phones.
    04-30-2013 03:08 AM
    (talking about lag....)
    You may not notice it right away, but trust me it will be there.
    Lol, so you mean the sort of lag that is undetectable? I don't think people mind that sort of lag, it's a bit like that smooth stutter that you can't detect...
    04-30-2013 03:22 AM

I've acknowledged that the UI isn't as fast as it should be. I've said its something they need to address. What's going on here, and people like you are exacerbating it, is people are blowing this out of proportion when most of the problem is the animations. So I mentioned the developer options fix because some still aren't aware of it.

So now a small issue that's not a big deal has turned into the S4 supposedly being laggy. If you owned the phone you're arguing about, you'd know that its not the case and most people complaining about lag still haven't turned off those scales.

I talk to Klug on Twitter. We're not friends, but easily is my first choice to ask about situations like this. Ask him yourself. Love your "pics or it didn't happen" attitude, though. Inconceivable that I would be able to talk to someone who loves mobile about mobile.

I'll admit when there's an issue, but I actually own the phone so I'm going to trust in what I know about the device. You don't own it. Maybe that's a good reason to stay out of these conversations.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    04-30-2013 04:20 AM
    My guess is that the lag should be the result of too much heat being generated and causing a downgrading to the working squence of CPU. checking out from the ifixit, the tear down of S4 showed that the most of space of S4 has been occupied by battery and so the layout of components has to be squeezed into a very limit area on mainboard, in doing so, the only choice for this design is to use the panel as the sole thermal solution which is believed very unefffective and definitively will greatly harm the panel in a long rum. The HTC One, on the other hand, employs much smarter way to deal with the thermal issue, in which they used a copper foil to cover the heating components and thanks to the metal chassis, the heat can be evenly, and effectively transferred and evaporated. I hope my analysis is not true, or otherwise it will be a catastrophe for GS4, as I don't really think any firmware can resolve it unless the users agree to suffer a permanent downgrade for a much lower working power of CPU.
    04-30-2013 04:27 AM
164 ... 23456 ...