Samsung Galaxy S 4, Anyone else see lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rim85

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a little, a split second or two, but coming from the Atrix4g and Iphone4G, this is like a monster leap in mobile tech...

woska89

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You should go to settings→application→all and then disable all the crap your carrier and samsung added to the phone that uour not using. That should help u with the lag problem and maybe increase battery life (?) Not sure about battery though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Let me preempt the people using HTC Ones that will reply to this post: "You shouldn't have to change a setting. It should be fixed out of the box."

With that said, there's a simple solution to the stuttering you may be getting. Because it's not visible on 4.2.2, you need to go into "About Device" in settings and find "Build Number". Tap on that 7 times to unlock Developer Options under the More tab in settings. From there, scroll down until you see these 3 settings: Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale. These are all set to 1x and are the culprit to your lag. Turning them off will get rid of the animations that are making your phone stutter occasionally. There's visibly no drawbacks to doing this.

Also, if you're not using S Voice and probably won't, you can go into settings for S Voice and turn off the ability to double tap the home button to launch S Voice. Because the home button is capable of doing several things, removing one of those things seems to make it function a lot quicker.

I'm sure Samsung is aware of these animations causing these issues, but if you're not patient and want it fixed right away, thankfully you can do it yourself in 30 seconds.

You seem to be in denial about something. People are reporting lag with stock Touchwiz apps while in the app. This is different than the animation trick. Scrolling through the Gallery or Messaging app should be butter smooth, but people are reporting that it's not. So basically, there's the problem that your posted solution solves, and then there's REAL lag, which will require a software update to cure most likely.

It isn't always ONE vs S4, sometimes it's just "I have a problem with my device" and those folks just want to know if others have the problem.

To everybody else. If you have an S4 and have this issue, then please post your response. If you don't have an S4, then do you really need to come in here and troll? Nope, didn't think so. If you have an S4 and AREN'T experiencing the lag in TouchWiz apps, then maybe you can offer assistance or more information so the root of the problem can be discovered (assuming it's not an inherent software flaw).

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You seem to be in denial about something. People are reporting lag with stock Touchwiz apps while in the app. This is different than the animation trick. Scrolling through the Gallery or Messaging app should be butter smooth, but people are reporting that it's not. So basically, there's the problem that your posted solution solves, and then there's REAL lag, which will require a software update to cure most likely.

It isn't always ONE vs S4, sometimes it's just "I have a problem with my device" and those folks just want to know if others have the problem.

To everybody else. If you have an S4 and have this issue, then please post your response. If you don't have an S4, then do you really need to come in here and troll? Nope, didn't think so. If you have an S4 and AREN'T experiencing the lag in TouchWiz apps, then maybe you can offer assistance or more information so the root of the problem can be discovered (assuming it's not an inherent software flaw).

Do you have an S4, Kevin? Because I do. I also can say that of the people that I know that have the phone and are experienced with a plethora of other devices, there's been no lag. Stutters via the animations in Touchwiz? Sure. What do you think screen transitions in the gallery are? For those that have turned the animations off, they've reported it being fixed.

So am I in denial? Not at all. I do, however, own the phone and have not experienced these issues myself. I've talked to Brian Klug about it and he confirmed there's some janky animations that would be perceived lag, but that's it.

I have to admit that I find it amusing that you're getting involved on a topic you have no first hand experience on. Then again, you've been pretty adamant about defending the One so I guess it should come as no surprise.

If it makes you feel better, let's pretend the S4 is slow and laggy outside the animations. Perhaps then you'll be happy with the phone choice you made.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an S4, Kevin? Because I do. I also can say that of the people that I know that have the phone and are experienced with a plethora of other devices, there's been no lag. Stutters via the animations in Touchwiz? Sure. What do you think screen transitions in the gallery are? For those that have turned the animations off, they've reported it being fixed.

So am I in denial? Not at all. I do, however, own the phone and have not experienced these issues myself. I've talked to Brian Klug about it and he confirmed there's some janky animations that would be perceived lag, but that's it.

I have to admit that I find it amusing that you're getting involved on a topic you have no first hand experience on. Then again, you've been pretty adamant about defending the One so I guess it should come as no surprise.

If it makes you feel better, let's pretend the S4 is slow and laggy outside the animations. Perhaps then you'll be happy with the phone choice you made.

I have all animations off and I still experience lag. Most notably in messaging when scrolling through a long SMS thread. Also when adding a picture into an SMS. I also see redraw of the weather widget when hitting the home button. Not every time, but enough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Also if I'm texting someone and another text or notification comes in it seems to freeze my phone for a second.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have all animations off and I still experience lag. Most notably in messaging when scrolling through a long SMS thread. Also when adding a picture into an SMS. I also see redraw of the weather widget when hitting the home button. Not every time, but enough.

Anyone else having this issue? I've been sending MMS/SMS constantly with screen shots and haven't had any issues, especially with scrolling back through messages. The weather widget has been that way since the S2; they do need to fix that, but that's just the widget.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What is the animator thing do in developer options? I set it to. 5

Turn all 3 off. It's the speed in which the animation performs. If you turn it to 10x you'll see exactly how the animations work, but your phone will feel like mud. Turning them off helps. Samsung should go back and fix the animations so that it isn't necessary, but this should help for now.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Turn all 3 off. It's the speed in which the animation performs. If you turn it to 10x you'll see exactly how the animations work, but your phone will feel like mud. Turning them off helps. Samsung should go back and fix the animations so that it isn't necessary, but this should help for now.

Ok. Turning all three off.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I read a review that said that they only noticed lag when they had the eye tracking and air gestures on and that it was noticeably better when those features were disabled.

I'm curious about this too. How much worse (if at all) does the phone lag when these things are on?

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

One more thing regarding this. I didn't downplay the situation at all. In fact, I offered my advice and it seems to have helped at least one person so far. So because I offered up a way to fix this issue, or at the very least greatly help it, I'm in denial? As a moderator, you should appreciate that I've been active in trying to help on these issues so that people can enjoy their phones.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Far too much bloatware on this device really. It doesn't lag tremendously, but for a 1.9ghz quad core device there is definitely some noticeable lag when there shouldn't be. Hate all you want, but my iPhone 4 NEVER had any lag. I'm debating on returning this phone, and holding off for something better, but WOW the display is so AWESOME! That and the 9gb of available storage has me thinking twice about this device. I guess it is what it is, when you upgrade as often as I do.

scottadus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It all comes down to the fact that with all these new sensors and features samsung should have designed the phone and software for it run smoothly with everything turned on.

If we have to turn everything off for it to be smooth whats the point of having the features.

Hopefully its a software thing

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used a Note 2? I would guess that after an update this thing will run as smoothly as that. They know how to fix it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used a Note 2? I would guess that after an update this thing will run as smoothly as that. They know how to fix it.

Most people don't understand that like most OS, they ate more like beta when phones first come out. It's not like the HTC One isn't riddled with bugs.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Status
Not open for further replies.