Samsung Galaxy S 4, Anyone else see lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I didn't bring the One up, you did. Looks like people are still reporting lag in stock apps IN THIS VERY THREAD. But I guess since you aren't experiencing them they don't exist, right? Pretty sure that I said (and you ignored) the fact that I said your fix has helped some but not all, because the transitions are different than the lag. Also never said anything about anybody not appreciating you answering questions. That's what the forums are here for. But your solution isn't the solution for all of the perceived (and reported) performance issues.

Oh, and please, post a transcript of your conversation with Brian Klug. You keep throwing around his name like we're going to be impressed.

I don't have to own the phone to know that people are reporting issues. I own the One. There are bugs. I have none. I don't go around acting like there aren't just because I don't experience them.

Who is Brian Klug

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I see all these problems with lag and only one person saying it's not their and fighting for his life telling ppl it's not their and Samsung will release and update to fix it. Does he work for Samsung? This phone had my interest and was going to pick it up tomorrow until I saw this thread and now I'm going to pick up the One instead. That would really **** me off to get a laggy phone because ppl don't tell the truth and have a bias going on. I'm glad you guys actually came out and said the phone has lag, because not many reviews said such a thing and said the phone was smooth. Thank you all for the honesty.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I see all these problems with lag and only one person saying it's not their and fighting for his life telling ppl it's not their and Samsung will release and update to fix it. Does he work for Samsung? This phone had my interest and was going to pick it up tomorrow until I saw this thread and now I'm going to pick up the One instead. That would really **** me off to get a laggy phone because ppl don't tell the truth and have a bias going on. I'm glad you guys actually came out and said the phone has lag, because not many reviews said such a thing and said the phone was smooth. Thank you all for the honesty.

I had the One since the 18th, liked most everything about it. It was smooth, no stutter or lag, gorgeous phone and awesome screen. I've always been a fan of Samsung (S2, Skyrocket, S3, Note 2). So I've been fighting a little devil in my head to try the S4, devil won and I exchanged the One for the S4 on Saturday. BIG MISTAKE! The S4 is laggy, Wifi signal repeatedly drops, TouchWiz use to be tolerable but now it's just a bloated septic tank of a OS. You could strip the 5% of whats left of Android out of the phone and it would stand on it's own. You expect to see android somewhere and but it's buried. I read another describe it as a 2003 HP computer with all the crap on here, that's pretty accurate. The S4 screen is gorgeous and the camera software is awesome, but the rest of the OS just wreaks. On paper it looks like a phenomenal device, in practice it's anything but. No premium device should lag this bad. I would equate the S4 to having a really hot chick sitting on your face and then ripping ***, totally kills the experience. I've loved their devices in the past and I thought I owed it to myself to try it, but now I'm stuck graveling back to the ATT store manager hoping he lets me do another exchange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk 2

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

As usual play with the S4 and the One then judge for yourself, reviews and opinions are nice for guidance but only you will know what's right for you.

My phone is a good One!

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
As usual play with the S4 and the One then judge for yourself, reviews and opinions are nice for guidance but only you will know what's right for you.

My phone is a good One!

I don't have time to play with the displays at the stores since the stores are always busy when I visit them. I also like to get in and out as soon as possible. That's why I always wait for forum posters to post their experiences since I really don't trust tech sites when it comes to reviews.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have time to play with the displays at the stores since the stores are always busy when I visit them. I also like to get in and out as soon as possible. That's why I always wait for forum posters to post their experiences since I really don't trust tech sites when it comes to reviews.

Ok. I like going hands on because too many people just exaggerate how great or bad of an experience they had with that phone. Just going by the negative posts here I would be led to believe the S4 is a cheap, flimsy, thrown together device with laggy software and a second rate screen because it's pentile.

My phone is a good One!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The guy that reviews most of the phones for Anandtech

Tracked down the convo. Brian believes it may be janky animations, but he doesn't address at all the lag within the actual apps. Whatever the reason, somethings not right that Samsung will have to address. The poster in question also manages to insult everyone that dares bring up the issue, and strongly implies the lag is imagined.

Last edited:

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Goddam it samsung!!!! You and your bloated software!!!! Is this phone even gonna last any longer than 2 years before exploding??? Stop releasing half-baked products!!!!

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this lag is similar to what some of us Nexus 7 owners seen when 4.2.2 came out. Guaranteed it's a software issue nothing more.

Sent from my HTC One

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to call it "stuttering" more than "lag". On my EVO 4G LTE, I could type out full text messages that wouldn't even display on the screen, wait about 2 seconds, and then watch the letters type themselves out. That's what I call lag! :)

In terms of the stuttering/lag, I definitely think it's a Samsung software problem. Messaging, Internet, Gallery seem to be the biggest culprits. Some apps like Facebook, Instagram and Google+ seem to scroll buttery smooth for long periods while even loading photos while scrolling.

With that sad, the stuttering/lag isn't a deal breaker...I think I can live with it...and hopefully an OTA will fix it a little bit.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
You're going to be using this device for quite a while... and probably every day at that. I would play with it a little.

From all the videos I've seen, this "lag" seems minimal if barely there.
It is odd for Samsung to release a phone with animations that are somewhat laggy, but this thread is blowing it up really badly.

Anyway, Samsung will probably issue an update if this is apparent to them.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
You're going to be using this device for quite a while... and probably every day at that. I would play with it a little.

From all the videos I've seen, this "lag" seems minimal if barely there.
It is odd for Samsung to release a phone with animations that are somewhat laggy, but this thread is blowing it up really badly.

Anyway, Samsung will probably issue an update if this is apparent to them.

Far as the animations, I've seen it on my Note, Note 2, and Infuse but turning it to 0.5 solved that problem. Far as other kind of lag, I probably never noticed it.

My phone is a good One!

jpullins

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I think I have solve this problem...... I noticed a stutter here and the also especially when swiping thru home screens. I found if you turn off the animator duration scale and keep the other two at 0.5 all that stutter goes away. My s4 is now smooth as butter with no stutter. Also is the only phone on the market right now other than the nexus devices with 4.2.2 so I think some optimizations still needed to be done but no worries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
My BB10 with dual core is smooth as can be.

Sorry had to do it lol

I am with you on this. I want to give up my BB z10 (company's phone) and only use the S4 due to the z10 is currently lacking some apps that I am using daily, but I couldn't give it up because the z10 is super smooth.

I am now using both phones.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I didn't bring the One up, you did. Looks like people are still reporting lag in stock apps IN THIS VERY THREAD. But I guess since you aren't experiencing them they don't exist, right? Pretty sure that I said (and you ignored) the fact that I said your fix has helped some but not all, because the transitions are different than the lag. Also never said anything about anybody not appreciating you answering questions. That's what the forums are here for. But your solution isn't the solution for all of the perceived (and reported) performance issues.

Oh, and please, post a transcript of your conversation with Brian Klug. You keep throwing around his name like we're going to be impressed.

I don't have to own the phone to know that people are reporting issues. I own the One. There are bugs. I have none. I don't go around acting like there aren't just because I don't experience them.

I've acknowledged that the UI isn't as fast as it should be. I've said its something they need to address. What's going on here, and people like you are exacerbating it, is people are blowing this out of proportion when most of the problem is the animations. So I mentioned the developer options fix because some still aren't aware of it.

So now a small issue that's not a big deal has turned into the S4 supposedly being laggy. If you owned the phone you're arguing about, you'd know that its not the case and most people complaining about lag still haven't turned off those scales.

I talk to Klug on Twitter. We're not friends, but easily is my first choice to ask about situations like this. Ask him yourself. Love your "pics or it didn't happen" attitude, though. Inconceivable that I would be able to talk to someone who loves mobile about mobile.

I'll admit when there's an issue, but I actually own the phone so I'm going to trust in what I know about the device. You don't own it. Maybe that's a good reason to stay out of these conversations.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Jerry 0308

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that the lag should be the result of too much heat being generated and causing a downgrading to the working squence of CPU. checking out from the ifixit, the tear down of S4 showed that the most of space of S4 has been occupied by battery and so the layout of components has to be squeezed into a very limit area on mainboard, in doing so, the only choice for this design is to use the panel as the sole thermal solution which is believed very unefffective and definitively will greatly harm the panel in a long rum. The HTC One, on the other hand, employs much smarter way to deal with the thermal issue, in which they used a copper foil to cover the heating components and thanks to the metal chassis, the heat can be evenly, and effectively transferred and evaporated. I hope my analysis is not true, or otherwise it will be a catastrophe for GS4, as I don't really think any firmware can resolve it unless the users agree to suffer a permanent downgrade for a much lower working power of CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463