Samsung Galaxy S 4, Anyone else see lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The One forums seem a little bit more friendlier right now. One thread that I thought for sure would be derailed and flamed has turned out not to be.

I'm not fanning any flames. Not at all. But people are reporting issues. So, there are people that are pushing that the One has issues (it does, and I have none, therefor, I have no solutions for most of those issues), while trying to downplay the issues the S4 is having.

Also, the One has been out longer, so for the time being it might be safe to assume more people have them, so more people are reporting issues. I'll be curious what the bugs thread in the S4 section looks like in a week or two when more people have them in their hands.

Why is it when people come to this section and say the phone has issues, or say "people are reporting these issues" that they get jumped on? So what if I don't own the phone. People ARE STILL REPORTING THE ISSUES. Me not owning the phone doesn't change the fact that the issues are occurring.

Every phone has issues when it launches. Don't downplay the issues YOUR device is having. If I had issues with my One I'd be over in the Bug thread that I created reporting them. Just like others are doing.

You are like the ring leader of the S4/Samsung haters and One Advocates. Fanning the flames is an understatement, you legitimize the derailing of these threads by assisting with your Mod tag.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The point is you seem to be far more concerned over the lag issue, created by the AC review and not really noted anywhere else, than with the far more serious issues concerning the One, such as the capacative buttons, camera quality etc. By your "logic", since you have no issues on the One you aren't posting over one the One threads. Therefore, since you DONT OWN AN S4 you should be moderating here, rather than actively generating debate.

The capacitive buttons have been explained have they not? If it's not the small target area then the device is defective, right? I'm still looking for where HTC said they were gonna fix that. Moderating is far more than enforcing the rules. :)

Until I was called out yet again by an S4 user I wasn't "trolling" at all in this thread. But your logic is sound, but for one thing. I'm not claiming that I have solutions to anything. I started off by trying to explain that the animation lag that's being fixed by the Developer Option setting isn't the same as the performance issues people are seeing in the stock TouchWiz apps. I don't have to own the device to understand how that works. Also by that logic, having access to a device and actually owning it aren't the same thing, right? So, you don't have the One anymore, you gave it to a family member. It's not yours, therefor you can no longer comment on it, right? See how silly that sounds? Some of the same people going around saying "these are forums, you can say and post what you want" are the same people complaining about trolls and what I'm saying in threads.

Is what I'm saying wrong? Are people applying the dev option fix and still experiencing issues? Yes they are. So me saying it isn't incorrect. It's also not trolling. It's pointing out that not all performance issues are the same. That fact is being glossed over by a majority of people simply because they aren't experiencing it. So since they aren't experiencing it, it must not be true, right?

You are like the ring leader of the S4/Samsung haters and One Advocates. Fanning the flames is an understatement, you legitimize the derailing of these threads by assisting with your Mod tag.

But that's the thing, I don't hate the S4. But people singing the gospel of the device like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread are also wrong. You don't see me touting the One all over the place, do you? Nope, I haven't brought the One up in the S4 section in quite a while, actually. Pretty sure that, except in this thread, I've tried to keep the "One vs S4" threads limited in scope.

FYI, I have other Mods following me around, and if they see me cross lines or break rules you'll see me stop posting. These S4 threads are getting more and more like threads I see on iMore about the iPhone.

Scratch that. You guys have fun in this thread. I'm done trying to reel in the fanboyism.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

You can't be serious when saying this. Have you even looked at what Kevin was saying? All he is saying is that SOME people with the S4 have issues. Just because not everyone has those issues doesn't mean that no one does.

He is not "hating" on the S4, he is simply trying to make sure that people with legitimate concerns have their voices heard, so that a solution can be found. He has never said anything needlessly bad about the S4. I don't know what everyone's problem with him is right now. Simply being a moderator does not mean that you are abusing your status. Kevin is not abusing his status, he is trying to help people with issues find solutions. Why is that so bad?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The capacitive buttons have been explained have they not? If it's not the small target area then the device is defective, right? I'm still looking for where HTC said they were gonna fix that. Moderating is far more than enforcing the rules. :)

Until I was called out yet again by an S4 user I wasn't "trolling" at all in this thread. But your logic is sound, but for one thing. I'm not claiming that I have solutions to anything. I started off by trying to explain that the animation lag that's being fixed by the Developer Option setting isn't the same as the performance issues people are seeing in the stock TouchWiz apps. I don't have to own the device to understand how that works. Also by that logic, having access to a device and actually owning it aren't the same thing, right? So, you don't have the One anymore, you gave it to a family member. It's not yours, therefor you can no longer comment on it, right? See how silly that sounds? Some of the same people going around saying "these are forums, you can say and post what you want" are the same people complaining about trolls and what I'm saying in threads.

Is what I'm saying wrong? Are people applying the dev option fix and still experiencing issues? Yes they are. So me saying it isn't incorrect. It's also not trolling. It's pointing out that not all performance issues are the same. That fact is being glossed over by a majority of people simply because they aren't experiencing it. So since they aren't experiencing it, it must not be true, right?

But that's the thing, I don't hate the S4. But people singing the gospel of the device like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread are also wrong. You don't see me touting the One all over the place, do you? Nope, I haven't brought the One up in the S4 section in quite a while, actually. Pretty sure that, except in this thread, I've tried to keep the "One vs S4" threads limited in scope.

FYI, I have other Mods following me around, and if they see me cross lines or break rules you'll see me stop posting. These S4 threads are getting more and more like threads I see on iMore about the iPhone.

Scratch that. You guys have fun in this thread. I'm done trying to reel in the fanboyism.

As I recall, you started out by jumping the gun by calling Samsung "shady" before getting all the facts on the 600 chip and you took off from there.

As you know, I frequent both the One and S4 forums. It is beyond a doubt that the One is having more issues than the S4 yet I can't find any instances of you concern trolling(said with friendship, not accusatory) over there.

As for the One that my minor child uses, I paid for it, pay for the service and will have to deal with any hardware and software issues that come up so I feel qualified to continue commenting on it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
As I recall, you started out by jumping the gun by calling Samsung "shady" before getting all the facts on the 600 chip and you took off from there.

As you know, I frequent both the One and S4 forums. It is beyond a doubt that the One is having more issues than the S4 yet I can't find any instances of you concern trolling(said with friendship, not accusatory) over there.

As for the One that my minor child uses, I paid for it, pay for the service and will have to deal with any hardware and software issues that come up so I feel qualified to continue commenting on it.

That was in a completely different thread. Pretty sure it ended well, actually. You should know that as new facts emerge opinions and ideas can change. But I guess I'm not allowed to do that, right?

On a side note, is anyone else getting the weirdness that when you quote one post the forums hang on to a previously quoted post and insert it where it doesn't belong?

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the finger pointing at the mods when it's pretty much the same couple of members that are spamming and derailing both boards up constantly.

My phone is a good One!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Your memory fails you. He said it might be shady if Samsung and qualcomm are using an inferior chip and still calling it a 600. He didn't say Samsung was shady at any point. As you have in past threads, you invented something that wasn't there because it fit within your little worldview. You also have a long, long history of trolling the One, which is well documented and speaks for itself.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I totally disagree with the statement that the one has more issues.. Mine is great.. No problems. I'm not sure why you chose to be such a jerk to others when they don't have the same opinion you do.. This is not a court of law and most discussions are just opinions. You seem to get people awfully upset about your defense of the s4..Ok we get it.. I'm just waiting for the day you get banned so that the forums will calm down..
I think the s4 is a great phone.. I mean that's what's great we have choices. This isn't Russia vs the United States during the cold War.. You're not ever going to force me to agree with you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You can't be serious when saying this. Have you even looked at what Kevin was saying? All he is saying is that SOME people with the S4 have issues. Just because not everyone has those issues doesn't mean that no one does.

He is not "hating" on the S4, he is simply trying to make sure that people with legitimate concerns have their voices heard, so that a solution can be found. He has never said anything needlessly bad about the S4. I don't know what everyone's problem with him is right now. Simply being a moderator does not mean that you are abusing your status. Kevin is not abusing his status, he is trying to help people with issues find solutions. Why is that so bad?

I have been reading everything he has been posting. He doesn't raise any new concerns or unknown issues he just keeps reiterating the negative points about the S4. Everyone has read a thousand times that some people are having issues with stuttering and everyone knows the phone is plastic. The people he is arguing with above have even admitted so themselves about the stuttering but yet he continues. He does so in a way that really rides the line before being considered bashing the device, I will give him that. There are a few other people that are much worse but the reason I call him out is because he is a Mod and every time I see his name on a thread and click on it he is adding nothing useful it is just more negativity about the S4 or Samsung. Yes Mods can have opinions but keep your opinion on topic with the thread and don't get to the point where you are arguing with users who are obviously just defending their device.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I totally disagree with the statement that the one has more issues.. Mine is great.. No problems. I'm not sure why you chose to be such a jerk to others when they don't have the same opinion you do.. This is not a court of law and most discussions are just opinions. You seem to get people awfully upset about your defense of the s4..Ok we get it.. I'm just waiting for the day you get banned so that the forums will calm down..
I think the s4 is a great phone.. I mean that's what's great we have choices. This isn't Russia vs the United States during the cold War.. You're not ever going to force me to agree with you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

It really isnt subject to reasonable dispute. The complaints for the One out number the S4(so far) by a country mile. Any casual observer can see this is true by scrolling the threads.

When I posted on the One, y'all wanted me to leave and post in the S4 forums. Now here I am in the S4 forums(which begs the question as to why you're here) and you want me banned, which I dont think is likely. I dont care or want you to agree with me, you are perfectly entitled to your opinions as am I.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

This has gotten completely out of hand for no real reason. I feel as if I'm not being clear in what I'm saying here, so let me try again:

-I am not disputing that there's an issue with the software on the Galaxy S4. The animations they've used -are- causing a stutter. There's a possibility that the sensors for Air View/Air Gesture/Smart Scroll, etc are CPU hogs. It's too early to tell on that one, but it's possible. Also, I'm trying to do some research on how they've changed GPU rendering, if at all, in 4.2.2 as forcing it makes a pretty big difference.

-My point on these issues not being a huge deal is two-fold. First, some of the people reporting these issues may or may not know the difference between perceived lag that's caused by janky animations and actual lag due to lack of resources/CPU issues. For some, changing the developer options has fixed their issue. For some, it seemingly has not. It's a little odd that there's not more consistency here. I've had the time to test this phone along with others that I trust to be objective and none of us have been able to replicate what's being reported, but it could easily be people misdiagnosing animation stutters as "lag". Secondly, this phone has been out for such a little amount of time that looking at this as the end of the world is foolish. Since there's no doubt there's some UI issues, I'm sure they're aware of it. In fact, there was an update on the unlocked Snapdragon 600 versions a day or two ago that very well could have fixed some (or all) of these issues. Didn't see a changelog, but one can only hope.

As it pertains to the ongoing S4 vs One debate that's spilled onto both forums, there's just no avoiding it. However, using the word "fanboyism" because people think you're inciting a lot of the issues only proves their point. There's no question that you prefer the HTC One, Kevin. There's also nothing wrong with that, but it's become increasingly obvious that you, and others, are digging for there to be something wrong with the S4. All it took was madlaw referencing an issue with the One as an example and instead of ignoring it, you defended it. I'm sure I could spend the afternoon getting you to retort to issues with the One if I wanted to.

So again, there's no one here that's ignoring the fact that there's some issues with the S4 right now. What apparently is expected, though, is for us to all condemn our phones and say they suck so you and others can feel better about your own device choices. Or to pretend like an issue that can mostly be fixed by the user in 30 seconds is so blasphemous that it hands the "crown" over to HTC. I'm sure you'll dispute this and so will others, but your comment of "But that's the thing, I don't hate the S4. But people singing the gospel of the device like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread are also wrong." tells me that the S4 bothers you. If I say the S4 is the best phone in the world, you get irritated. If you tell me the One is the best phone in the world, I chalk it up as your opinion. Only difference is that I have firsthand knowledge of both phones and you do not.

Before you alienate anyone else any further, I suggest locking this thread. The "fanboyism" comment is not likely to be well-received and since you're not going to do your job, I'll call for someone else to do it for you.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Your memory fails you. He said it might be shady if Samsung and qualcomm are using an inferior chip and still calling it a 600. He didn't say Samsung was shady at any point. As you have in past threads, you invented something that wasn't there because it fit within your little worldview. You also have a long, long history of trolling the One, which is well documented and speaks for itself.

Forum rules, accusing someone of trolling is a form of trolling.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading everything he has been posting. He doesn't raise any new concerns or unknown issues he just keeps reiterating the negative points about the S4. Everyone has read a thousand times that some people are having issues with stuttering and everyone knows the phone is plastic. The people he is arguing with above have even admitted so themselves about the stuttering but yet he continues. He does so in a way that really rides the line before being considered bashing the device, I will give him that. There are a few other people that are much worse but the reason I call him out is because he is a Mod and every time I see his name on a thread and click on it he is adding nothing useful it is just more negativity about the S4 or Samsung. Yes Mods can have opinions but keep your opinion on topic with the thread and don't get to the point where you are arguing with users who are obviously just defending their device.

So, out of those thousand times. You get a majority of people saying "just do the developer option fix" and the fact that it didn't fix the problem FOR THEM is overshadowed by the numerous other posts about something not related to the problem at all. This has been the way threads about issues with the S4 have been going. Then someone comes in and says "so does the S4 have lag" and people say "not with the fix" which isn't true at all. But nobody brings up the fact that the developer option fix doesn't solve the issue for everyone.

Just like taking the screen protector off doesn't fix the capacitive button issue for everyone having them on the One.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

The reason Kevin keeps bringing up that some people are experiencing lag is that there are people in this thread who are trying to discount it. Kevin is not bashing the S4. He is just trying to find help for people who are having problems. He also hasn't said a thing about the S4 being plastic in this thread, I don't know why you brought that up.

Kevin said himself that he has no fundamental problems with the S4. Why would AC hire him as a moderator if he had hateful biases towards certain phones or manufacturers? They wouldn't. Even if he were "bashing" it, what would he have to gain by doing so?

I think the part of your statement I bolded is very telling. These people who are trying to say that there is no real lag in the S4 are just trying to defend the device they bought. I am happy when people don't have problems with the purchases they make, because I don't like have problems either, and I like when people are happy. However, these people do not need to "[defend] their device" when they aren't having problems but other people are. If anything, the people defending their devices are the ones who aren't adding anything to the conversation, the goal of which is to solve the lag on the S4.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So again, there's no one here that's ignoring the fact that there's some issues with the S4 right now. What apparently is expected, though, is for us to all condemn our phones and say they suck so you and others can feel better about your own device choices. Or to pretend like an issue that can mostly be fixed by the user in 30 seconds is so blasphemous that it hands the "crown" over to HTC. I'm sure you'll dispute this and so will others, but your comment of "But that's the thing, I don't hate the S4. But people singing the gospel of the device like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread are also wrong." tells me that the S4 bothers you. If I say the S4 is the best phone in the world, you get irritated. If you tell me the One is the best phone in the world, I chalk it up as your opinion. Only difference is that I have firsthand knowledge of both phones and you do not.

See the bold? I never said that, or acted like that. Glossing over issues people are having is what I'm referring to. I've outright said a few about the One in this thread. People have had to get devices exchanged because of issues. How is that trumpeting the perfection or superiority of the One over the S4?

See the italics? That was a reference to fanboys. Maybe you're not one, maybe you are. You seemingly took offense to the term, so I'm not sure. Is being a fanboy bad? Nah. They just have an undying passion for their device. Nothing wrong with that at all.

No device is perfect. They all have issues. I haven't denied that about the One, or claimed that they're being overstated or exacerbated. All I've said is that I'm not experiencing them myself.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the part of your statement I bolded is very telling. These people who are trying to say that there is no real lag in the S4 are just trying to defend the device they bought. I am happy when people don't have problems with the purchases they make, because I don't like have problems either, and I like when people are happy. However, these people do not need to "[defend] their device" when they aren't having problems but other people are. If anything, the people defending their devices are the ones who aren't adding anything to the conversation, the goal of which is to solve the lag on the S4.
Agree...100%...People defend what they own, must be something from the cave man days...sad really. If everybody hides the issue or pretends it doesn't exist, how will the manufacturer know to correct it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21