Samsung Galaxy S 4, Anyone else see lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
See the bold? I never said that, or acted like that. Glossing over issues people are having is what I'm referring to. I've outright said a few about the One in this thread. People have had to get devices exchanged because of issues. How is that trumpeting the perfection or superiority of the One over the S4?

See the italics? That was a reference to fanboys. Maybe you're not one, maybe you are. You seemingly took offense to the term, so I'm not sure. Is being a fanboy bad? Nah. They just have an undying passion for their device. Nothing wrong with that at all.

No device is perfect. They all have issues. I haven't denied that about the One, or claimed that they're being overstated or exacerbated. All I've said is that I'm not experiencing them myself.

I'm thinking at this point that you've never really read any of my posts in their entirety. I'm not glossing over their issues; I've admitted the S4 has UI issues that need to be addressed countless times. I've also stated that it's very possible, and more likely, that people are confusing perceived lag (animation stutters, janky transitions) with real lag (lack of resources/CPU issues). Myself and others have provided a temporary fix to the majority of those issues in the form of making changes in developer options. The people who've made those changes have generally reported back that their issues are gone. Doesn't mean that everyone is issue free, but also doesn't mean that everyone has tried that fix, either.

When I used the term "exacerbating" earlier, it really doesn't do this justice. I'm not taking offense to the fanboy comment at all, but others might. You can call me whatever you'd like, but of the 2 of us, I've been offering solutions and explanations and you've been causing issues and calling people "fanboys". Which one of us is the moderator, again?

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The reason Kevin keeps bringing up that some people are experiencing lag is that there are people in this thread who are trying to discount it. Kevin is not bashing the S4. He is just trying to find help for people who are having problems. He also hasn't said a thing about the S4 being plastic in this thread, I don't know why you brought that up.

Kevin said himself that he has no fundamental problems with the S4. Why would AC hire him as a moderator if he had hateful biases towards certain phones or manufacturers? They wouldn't. Even if he were "bashing" it, what would he have to gain by doing so?

I think the part of your statement I bolded is very telling. These people who are trying to say that there is no real lag in the S4 are just trying to defend the device they bought. I am happy when people don't have problems with the purchases they make, because I don't like have problems either, and I like when people are happy. However, these people do not need to "[defend] their device" when they aren't having problems but other people are. If anything, the people defending their devices are the ones who aren't adding anything to the conversation, the goal of which is to solve the lag on the S4.

Honestly, I don't want to argue. I just come to this forum to read about devices and like reading about people's experiences. I accept that there probably is an issue with the S4 stuttering. I really hope they fix it soon too because I am considering getting one when it is released on Verizon.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I love my phone and I'll be the first to admit that there is stuttering from time to time and it sucks. Especially when texting and the keyboard can't keep up. I'm still keeping it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I love my phone and I'll be the first to admit that there is stuttering from time to time and it sucks. Especially when texting and the keyboard can't keep up. I'm still keeping it.

Which keyboard? I'm using the pre-installed Swype and it's butter.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Apparently there was an update sent out a day or two ago to the unlocked Snapdragon 600 versions. I'm hoping that its a fix for the UI stuttering. I've tried forcing gpu rendering and that's made a pretty drastic difference. While I don't mind turning the animations off for now, forcing the GPU rendering makes me feel like I'm now doing their job for them.

Still optimistic it'll be fixed shortly, though.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Which keyboard? I'm using the pre-installed Swype and it's butter.

Maybe I'll try that one. I was using the swype I bought from the play store. I only bought it and used it over the preinstalled because I could change the theme and color of the keyboard as I don't like the standard one as much.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'll try that one. I was using the swype I bought from the play store. I only bought it and used it over the preinstalled because I could change the theme and color of the keyboard as I don't like the standard one as much.

The pre-installed Swype is best I've used. I really like the dedicated mic key that SwiftKey doesnt have. Swype makes one-handing it easy.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Any other area with stutter? Have you tried the developer trick that Eric and I have been posting?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Apparently there was an update sent out a day or two ago to the unlocked Snapdragon 600 versions. I'm hoping that its a fix for the UI stuttering. I've tried forcing gpu rendering and that's made a pretty drastic difference. While I don't mind turning the animations off for now, forcing the GPU rendering makes me feel like I'm now doing their job for them.

Still optimistic it'll be fixed shortly, though.

I don't have the phone yet, is the GPU setting in the normal settings?

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Kevin and I both discussed this outside of this thread and there's no issues here. We're all here to help try and figure out this situation.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Any other area with stutter? Have you tried the developer trick that Eric and I have been posting?

I took it down to .5 I might try zero. Nothing big outside the keyboard. Just a few small transition lags. Nothing I'm to concerned about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38