Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

stevenotsuki

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased the new Galaxy S4 and am able to connect to the wi-fi at my office, but cannot get on the internet or get any of my widgets to update. I have read through other forums that there might be a problem with the ip and that I may need to set it to static, but I am not sure how to do that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

sheng

May 6, 2013
Visit site
hi , i just have s4 too..
and my connection to wifi is bad when there is almost full signal ( strong signal ) showed on top..
it seems like something network is connected and disconnect too
i am having problem to signing, chatting with friends and surfing net..
wondering what's the problem..=(
someone please help me !:'(

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
and my connection to wifi is bad when there is almost full signal ( strong signal ) showed on top..

This is what Samsung Advanced Support told me to do:

In command prompt on the computer of your choice, type in ipconfig/all and make note of the #s for IPv4, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS Servers.
Press and hold the name your WiFi is under on your phone and click Forget.
Re-establish the connection on your phone and before connecting, click the box for Advanced Options and enter those #s into the corresponding boxes.

This seemed to fix it but instead of the connection dropping out every 2-3 minutes, it's more like 10-15, or whenever it wants to. On TOP of that, because my phone is now using the same IP address as my computer, my computer won't connect to WiFi unless the WiFi on my phone is turned off, and visa versa.

I'm REALLY hoping that if people have the same connectivity issue, they'll report it to Samsung, otherwise the issue won't be fixed.

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This is what Samsung Advanced Support told me to do:

In command prompt on the computer of your choice, type in ipconfig/all and make note of the #s for IPv4, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS Servers.
Press and hold the name your WiFi is under on your phone and click Forget.
Re-establish the connection on your phone and before connecting, click the box for Advanced Options and enter those #s into the corresponding boxes.

This seemed to fix it but instead of the connection dropping out every 2-3 minutes, it's more like 10-15, or whenever it wants to. On TOP of that, because my phone is now using the same IP address as my computer, my computer won't connect to WiFi unless the WiFi on my phone is turned off, and visa versa.

I'm REALLY hoping that if people have the same connectivity issue, they'll report it to Samsung, otherwise the issue won't be fixed.

Scratch that.

D-Link told me to change my router settings from TKIP & AES to TKIP only. WiFi signal going strong for 4 days now!

koche005

May 23, 2013
Visit site
We have the same problem at our office. Yes, we have an IT staff (a good one). We have been unable to get any Samsung device to connect to the internet, although they all get on the wi-fi network. Other androids and iOS work just fine. I have been seeing this issue reported by many ever since my first Samsung android product... so it's well known.

paulakkelly

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have similar problem with my galaxy s4, I can connect to Wi-Fi no problem but cant connect to internet.
but this is only intermittent some time it works some time it wont, this is the same when connected to Wi-Fi at home or at work.
I know that it is not a Wi-Fi problem because there is no issues with any other device connect to the same Wi-Fi.
it has to be a software issue ! not happy.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I may have misread some of the posts so forgive me. For those that can't seem to connect to the internet from their work:

1. Is the result the same indoors and outdoors?
2. Do you have a strong signal from your carrier?
3. Just asking...is mobile data enabled?

For those that can'lt connect via Wifi:

1. Definitely head the prior suggestion to try TKIP ...as well as AES seperately.
2. Try disabling mobile data so your device is trying to use WiFi exclusively.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

Nat O

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
This is not necessarily the case here, but sometimes, when we connect to a public/Free Wi-Fi, we are required to go to a Guest Login or Accept page in our phone browser to validate our access. It is a small step that is occasionally forgotten and at times, a user might think he cannot correctly connect to the Internet.

stevengarcia82

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

After struggling with this for 2 days i finally sorted the connection issue. I got my solution from this forum with a little tweak which hopefully will help others.
I first connected to my desired wifi network via dhcp (this is the default settings to anyone who doesn't know). I allowed the phone to connect then changed it to static IP by clicking on the saved wifi link and choosing advance settings. The fields should automatically fill with the IP, DNS and default gateway etc.

I left these settings as they were except for the DNS primary and secondary address. Here i changed both to 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.
If you Google these addresses you'll find they are Google's own DNS servers and can be used in place of the default DNS entries. Hit save and launch your browser, if you have any luck like i did you'll connect straight away.

This work around leaves me to believe that the problem isn't with the router or firmware but the DNS servers in my company.

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok if your at a public place and using there wifi there's usually a browser splash page that you have to click i agree to your terms before it gives you a cess

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Well it depends on your networks speed and your router for instance most public wifis are at 1 meg.... My isp (cox communications) is piping in 25 megs
Take a speed test and post your results

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1379578938442.jpg
    1379578938442.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19

smakurself

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I almost gave up...however, log into your router via ip 10.0.0.1 or whatever

once in, look for parental control features and DISABLE managed devices!!!

None of my other device automatically go on this list, but my S4 sure does...So simple!!!! DAMN!!!!

Arucardo

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the same issue with my galaxy s4 active, anything else connected to the wifi is working perfectly fine even my ipad.
It also seems to spit back "network not available" errors with AT&Ts wireless net even though I have 4g and am in a working area (tested on sisters iphone also from AT&T).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech