3G w/ Ocatacore or 4G w/ quadcore?

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Title says it all.
Where I am, I have the option to buy either, S4 3G with octacore that has just released or 4G with quadcore that will release in a couple of weeks.
I know that this choice depends on the person, but I would like to hear your opinions.

Which is better? Which would you rather buy? Why?

cmersman

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
My personally would get the Octacore with 3G -- LTE burns battery life to fast -- to the point where I leave it disabled most of the time. Also if you plan to hold out and use this phone for the foreseeable future having the higher core processor will likely keep your phone in the running for updates by Samsung (if that matters to you).

My example: US Galaxy S3 (Dual Core Version) users will not be upgraded to Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie. However, the international Galaxy S3 users have a Quad Core processor that WILL be supported by Samsung for 5.0.

Just my thoughts

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends, if the 3g service offered by the carriers around you suits your needs then go with them, but if lte sounds good to you get it.

There is no significant difference performance wise between the international and us s4s, not like the s3s from last year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
My personally would get the Octacore with 3G -- LTE burns battery life to fast -- to the point where I leave it disabled most of the time. Also if you plan to hold out and use this phone for the foreseeable future having the higher core processor will likely keep your phone in the running for updates by Samsung (if that matters to you).

My example: US Galaxy S3 (Dual Core Version) users will not be upgraded to Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie. However, the international Galaxy S3 users have a Quad Core processor that WILL be supported by Samsung for 5.0.

Just my thoughts

Yea you always have the option of rooting and installing aosp custom roms.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Theres also the SHV-300S, a Galaxy S4 with 4G LTE and Ea 1.8 Ghz CPU.
Sadly, only a Korean Exclusive. Could work in some countries if unlocked.

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Both phones are quad core. The only difference is that the International S4 has two quad cores. They are not used simultaneously, the beefier quad core (which is comparable to the S600) is used for heavy rasks, and the weaker quad core is used for simple tasks. The US S4 always uses the S600 for every task. As for 3G vs LTE its a no brainer in my mind. After using LTE for the past year I could never go back to 3G. Its dreadfully slow compared to LTE. With LTE everything loads nearly instantly, even lengthy videos never have to pause to catch up. Im getting 28 hours of battery with about 3.5 to 4 hours of screen on time with 50% brightness on my S600 S4 and I always use LTE. The only time I dont use LTE is when I have wifi available.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

In case anyone takes this guy seriously...

Nobody knows what the plan is yet. Samsung said they would likely upgrade all the SIII phones, but we won't really know until the leaks start coming out.

He is also suggesting the Galaxy Nexus is now end-of-life, which is almost certainly wrong. We'll know in a week-and-a-half.

Also, all S4 phones are quad core, if that helps the decision. The Exynos Octa processor appears pretty great, but the extra cores are just weaker processing units to save battery life. In other words, it isn't any faster because of the extra cores, but you can expect to go longer between charges if you aren't pushing the phone really hard.

Edit; Sorry, I kind of just repated what mpdofficer514 said above me, but they are mostly correct. (I believe big.LITTLE can dynamically switch per-core. It isn't one set of quad core or another set of quad core.)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you live in an LTE area? You will notice the LTE difference more than the processor difference. Also the LTE signal penetrates building better so you can keep a signal where 3G may not. This is for ATT at least. Not saying I would never get an HSPA+ phone but only if it was not available in LTE like my Nexus 4, but I would take LTE over processor any day.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
IF you have good 4G service then go with the quadcore/4G option. Once you get used to fast 4G speeds 3G is almost painful to endure. Battery usage is more but you find ways to cope. As of next week I'll have a 5600 mAh portable battery/charger with me so my battery worries will be over. The faster cpu model will NOT be fun waiting for pages to load with "slow" 3G speeds.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LTE vs 3g is a huge speed difference. Lte is faster than my wifi at home more often than not. ATT 3g is painfully slow and overloaded campared to Att LTE. Your area and provider may be different however. Also I read an article about Sammy having issues with software on octo. I believe it was a software issue??? Anyway, the processor won't be any faster just less of a battery hog. Which is the down side to LTE. It does take more juice. But it is worth it. Once you see lte speeds you cant go back to 3g. But comparing processor speeds, they will probably be same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

cmersman

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone takes this guy seriously...

Nobody knows what the plan is yet. Samsung said they would likely upgrade all the SIII phones, but we won't really know until the leaks start coming out.

He is also suggesting the Galaxy Nexus is now end-of-life, which is almost certainly wrong. We'll know in a week-and-a-half.

Also, all S4 phones are quad core, if that helps the decision. The Exynos Octa processor appears pretty great, but the extra cores are just weaker processing units to save battery life. In other words, it isn't any faster because of the extra cores, but you can expect to go longer between charges if you aren't pushing the phone really hard.

Edit; Sorry, I kind of just repated what mpdofficer514 said above me, but they are mostly correct. (I believe big.LITTLE can dynamically switch per-core. It isn't one set of quad core or another set of quad core.)

I'd be willing to take a bet on my information being accurate :)

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
LTE is FAST. Noticeably fast, it will change your user experience.
8 cores vs 4 cores will not change your user experience.

If you have LTE in your area I don't know why you would consider the slow option. Battery life is fine for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc