Car Adapter Help

bleyld

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I need a little bit of help with this and for some reason I haven't been able to find any solutions with my research...

Background is, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with AT&T, and drive a 2007 Honda Civic EX. The EX has a Lighter, and AUX port, but no direct USB port. So I'm looking to be able to plug in my S4 (hopefully with one cord) and be able to play my music AND charge the phone.

Of course, I could use the two court option. A Male AUX to Male AUX, with a Lighter to USB, then a USB to MicroUSB, and this solves the solution. Well, it's bulky, and gives an awkward resistance when trying to use the phone to switch songs/etc which is more then likely due to the ports being on either side of the device.

I would use bluetooth, but the Civic isn't built in with BT, and I've heard it's not too reliable anyways.

Now, what I have come up with (and if there's more ideas let me know too, I'm also open to other ways) but is two different options.
1)A MicroUSB to USB and AUX (One Cable, single on one end, and dual on the other) (Is it even possible to play music through the MicroUSB port?)
or
2)An AUX to MicroUSB (which even then I don't believe will charge it will it?)

I've not able to find either one of these. So that's where I'm looking for your help. Either different ideas on how to accomplish my goal, or where I may be able to find one of the two cords.

Thanks in advance!

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You can't get an audio signal from the micro USB port. There are some third-party Bluetooth solutions, but they all involve sticking some gadget in the AUX in. You're only option is the two-cord one. It's not that bad if you get a decent car mount.

bleyld

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Heh it is. You ever see the shape of the dash/windshield on a Civic? Most awkward contraption I've ever seen. Point of the story, no where to put the mount that makes it accessable.

I read somewhere on an archived forum that Jellybean 4.2 they updated to be able to play music through the MicroUSB, is this a device orientened feature? Or just someone blowing smoke? Sorry I can't manage to find it again.

Again, more apologies, but this is my first android device, came over from IOS last friday, so still getting the ropes and what not.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I need a little bit of help with this and for some reason I haven't been able to find any solutions with my research...

Background is, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with AT&T, and drive a 2007 Honda Civic EX. The EX has a Lighter, and AUX port, but no direct USB port. So I'm looking to be able to plug in my S4 (hopefully with one cord) and be able to play my music AND charge the phone.

Of course, I could use the two court option. A Male AUX to Male AUX, with a Lighter to USB, then a USB to MicroUSB, and this solves the solution. Well, it's bulky, and gives an awkward resistance when trying to use the phone to switch songs/etc which is more then likely due to the ports being on either side of the device.

I would use bluetooth, but the Civic isn't built in with BT, and I've heard it's not too reliable anyways.

Now, what I have come up with (and if there's more ideas let me know too, I'm also open to other ways) but is two different options.
1)A MicroUSB to USB and AUX (One Cable, single on one end, and dual on the other) (Is it even possible to play music through the MicroUSB port?)
or
2)An AUX to MicroUSB (which even then I don't believe will charge it will it?)

I've not able to find either one of these. So that's where I'm looking for your help. Either different ideas on how to accomplish my goal, or where I may be able to find one of the two cords.

Thanks in advance!

This is of little help I realize, but since you brought it up, I think the BT reliability has a lot to do with car/stereo it is connecting to -- obviously older cars/systems seem to have more issues than newer ones. I have an S3 and it works GREAT with my 2012 Toyota Tacoma using BT. No problems with connection or playback. Again, I know that doesn't help much, but if you were to think about replacing your head unit, I think BT would be a very usable option, as long as it's newer hardware.

Past that, I think I have to agree with JasW, as the single cord option you're trying to accomplish simply won't work. Even if you could get music to play over the USB connection (I don't *think* you can, but then again I've never tried to), I highly doubt it would work as a charging port at the same time.

If I were in your situation and the 2 cord option was all I had, I'd probably try to rig a single cable using tape or zip ties or something that split into the 2 (USB and AUX audio) on the ends so that at least it looked a bit cleaner and wasn't as prone to getting tangled...or maybe find a way to run both connections into the glove box or center console so the cords are out of sight up to the point where you plug them into the phone.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Heh it is. You ever see the shape of the dash/windshield on a Civic? Most awkward contraption I've ever seen. Point of the story, no where to put the mount that makes it accessable.

I read somewhere on an archived forum that Jellybean 4.2 they updated to be able to play music through the MicroUSB, is this a device orientened feature? Or just someone blowing smoke? Sorry I can't manage to find it again.

Again, more apologies, but this is my first android device, came over from IOS last friday, so still getting the ropes and what not.

Jellybean does support USB audio through the micro USB port, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax -- it's not an audio signal that you can just plug into the AUX in port via some kind of cable adapter. You need an USB audio device to plug into, and of course an Android app with a USB audio driver on your phone (there are a few available in the Play Store).

Those clever Swedes at ProClip have a mounting solution for EVERY car, no matter how twisted the person who designed the car's interior was. It's a two part solution with a universal mount and a device specific holder. If you go to the ProClip website, you can see pictures of where the mount part would fit on your car. Generally, they have three places -- center/right of the steering wheel, left of the steering wheel, and gearbox area. They manage to ferret out places for the mount to clip on permanently -- no adhesives, no drilling, etc. They have pics of every car, I'm sure including yours. It's a little pricey, but worth ever penny. I've had five (two mounts, three device holders) over the years, and I swear by it.

(Edit: they probably haven't come out with the S4 holder yet, but they undoubtedly will very shortly.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12