Dropped Galaxy s4

Status
Not open for further replies.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Technically not, if they allow you a window to decide if you want to purchase insurance or not. In this case, I think he does.

Actually technically it is fraud. Even tho you can buy insurance a week later... it's under the premise that the phone is still in working order. So if you get insurance knowing that your phone wasn't working before you bought the insurance... you are being fraudulent.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't volunteer any information. This is what the phone looks like is that covered. If they decide it is your fault, so be it but don't tell them it was the result of... Who knows it could be a weakness in the phone was tested by the drop. I mean I have dropped many phones an never lost one but put the burden on them to tell you why it isn't working correctly.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't you return it it's within it's 14 days and they should replace it since its your first screen crack apple will replace one cracked screen device only once then after that the owner has to pay for repair.

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Can't you return it it's within it's 14 days and they should replace it since its your first screen crack apple will replace one cracked screen device only once then after that the owner has to pay for repair.

I took to to best buy and he said that since it appeared to be drop damage then it was unlikely that Samsung would replace it and that since I didn't have geek squad protection they couldn't replace it. I've already paid for insurance as stated above.
Is there a better solution for this? I'm not trying to get a freebie I just want a phone that works.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, I hope it turns out well for the OP.

This thread has learned me something. When I get my S4 I am going to double case. Slim fit case, and then a case over that. It seems like it was shock that produce the crack, not a puncture.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I took to to best buy and he said that since it appeared to be drop damage then it was unlikely that Samsung would replace it and that since I didn't have geek squad protection they couldn't replace it. I've already paid for insurance as stated above.
Is there a better solution for this? I'm not trying to get a freebie I just want a phone that works.

Another reason why apple is a hit Samsung has no support

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

You could try going back to BB. A different employee might not think it was dropped. You could try phone repair service. Then again, you could also buy a new phone. Since you got insurance, it sounds like you're thinking of committing insurance fraud. Don't. Tell them it was broken when you bought your insurance. You never know.

As someone else already pointed out, Apple would have fixed it for free. :)

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I knew someone who didn't have any insurance and dropped their iPhone 5, it cracked, took it to the Apple store and they replaced it because, after talking to him and he described it was a very short drop (2 to 3 feet or so), they said it should have been able to withstand that sort of drop and therefore replaced it under warranty as a defective phone.

Not sure if you can find a store that generous, but it might be an interesting argument to make: it was a very short drop and the phone should have been able to withstand it, and it is a sign of structural defect that it couldn't. ::::Shrug:::: You may not get anywhere, but if no other options it can't hurt to try.

93Aero

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Not sure where you are located but check your towns craigslist cell phone section, there a tons of advertisements for places that fix cracked screens, digitizers and the like usually while you wait.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can get a replacement, but it takes some HARD dedication and convincing...I know many people that explained how their items broke randomly because of a simple action they did (even though they lied) and make it sound convincing....they will replace your phone.

My dad recently got a free otterbox from AT&T after arguing with the guy that it broke when he was just pulling it out...the guy didn't want trouble and they gave him a free case

The customer is always right....they have to follow that rule and have to satisfy the customer

Its a good skill to learn lol

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I knew someone who didn't have any insurance and dropped their iPhone 5, it cracked, took it to the Apple store and they replaced it because, after talking to him and he described it was a very short drop (2 to 3 feet or so), they said it should have been able to withstand that sort of drop and therefore replaced it under warranty as a defective phone.

Not sure if you can find a store that generous, but it might be an interesting argument to make: it was a very short drop and the phone should have been able to withstand it, and it is a sign of structural defect that it couldn't. ::::Shrug:::: You may not get anywhere, but if no other options it can't hurt to try.

Yeah I think I'll try that. I'll take it back tomorrow and see if they are willing to listen. It shouldn't have broken inside a nice case from a little less than 4 feet. My naked all glass nexus 4 didn't event break from a fall like that. I don't like the idea of filing insurance fraud so I won't but I do wanna keep the insurance for when I get this repaired in case it happens again. The local repair shop quoted me $400 because the part is so hard to come by at this point. So at this point it looks like a have 3 options
1. Lie to the insurance company which I don't want to do
2. Lie to best buy and say that "it just started doing this"
3. Tell them the truth and say it shouldn't have broken from a fall like that and if they won't replace it, at least give me an option to repair it

I'm thinking option 3. Thoughts?

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think I'll try that. I'll take it back tomorrow and see if they are willing to listen. It shouldn't have broken inside a nice case from a little less than 4 feet. My naked all glass nexus 4 didn't event break from a fall like that. I don't like the idea of filing insurance fraud so I won't but I do wanna keep the insurance for when I get this repaired in case it happens again. The local repair shop quoted me $400 because the part is so hard to come by at this point. So at this point it looks like a have 3 options
1. Lie to the insurance company which I don't want to do
2. Lie to best buy and say that "it just started doing this"
3. Tell them the truth and say it shouldn't have broken from a fall like that and if they won't replace it, at least give me an option to repair it

I'm thinking option 3. Thoughts?

Best Buy won't be able to fix it. I wouldn't want the Geek Squad working on my GS4 either. They will either replace it or say that they can't replace it because of abuse/neglect/dropping/etc.

It also doesn't matter that it was in a case or that it only fell a couple of feet. A phone can fall a couple of feet and shatter the screen if it hits in the worst spot possible. Unfortunately it happened to you in this case.

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy won't be able to fix it. I wouldn't want the Geek Squad working on my GS4 either. They will either replace it or say that they can't replace it because of abuse/neglect/dropping/etc.

There is now a Samsung only section similar to the apple only section but there is a counter where they can work on the products (I think).
In the event that they can't, what should I do?

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There is now a Samsung only section similar to the apple only section but there is a counter where they can work on the products (I think).
In the event that they can't, what should I do?

Depends how ethical you want to be in this situation:

1) Use your Nexus 4 until it becomes cheaper to replace the screen on the phone.
2) Buy a new GS4 outright and sell yours to a local repair shop (not Best Buy - you won't get much for the phone through them).
3) File a claim through Squaretrade.
4) Call AT&T and add insurance over the phone (might need to use a different phone and have the GS4's IMEI handy).
5) Use another line on the account to upgrade and pay another $200.

There are probably another 5+ options but these are what came to mind right off the bat.

Brownhornet34

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
You can get a replacement, but it takes some HARD dedication and convincing...I know many people that explained how their items broke randomly because of a simple action they did (even though they lied) and make it sound convincing....they will replace your phone.

My dad recently got a free otterbox from AT&T after arguing with the guy that it broke when he was just pulling it out...the guy didn't want trouble and they gave him a free case

The customer is always right....they have to follow that rule and have to satisfy the customer

In the future tell your pop to deal directly with Otterbox, their customer service is top notch. I've had multiple products replaced with in the first year of ownership.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ess_78201

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Sign up for Protect My Bubble. You'll have to wait thirty days though to file a claim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

What's a good skill to learn? Being dishonest or a pain in a** to get what you want? Otter box would have replaced the case I know. I had one replaced that broke from being dropped no charge.

Posted via Android Central App

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i didnt get any insurance because ive never dropped a phone before. Do you think bestbuy would take it back?

I hope you haven't called your carrier yet. In the first 30 days of purchase you can call AT&T and add insurance. Do Not Tell them its broken. After you add insurance, wait a couple day and call back and tell them you dropped it.
It may cost $169 to replace but thats better than a broken 5 day old phone.

** since they changed the return policy to 14 days(used to be 30), not sure if they changed insurance to the same 14 day period so act fast.

PS sorry if someone else already posted this, Soon as I got to no insurance just wanted to reply. Hoping that you hadn't already told the carrier that it was broken.

You do not have to get carrier insurance at the time of purchase. Best buy most likely said that because they want you to buy a best buy warranty. Call your carrier and say, I just got a new phone and want to add insurance. ask them to email you info about the insurance and look and see how many days you must have the insurance before you can make a claim.

Apple lets you add AppleCare+ any time in the first 30 days I am sure the carrier gives you at least 14

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Ask your carrier for a warranty replacement they will send out one to you immediately but tell them u have boot up issues .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar