Dropped Galaxy s4

Status
Not open for further replies.

afgzee

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Be definition they cannot change the price of a contract at least not here in the US.

I saw this thread yesterday and did not comment. I feel for the OP. We have all have times where we feel the victim, and sometimes by our own hand. The problem is this type of thinking just increases the cost for everyone. That this fine, I can most likely afford it but many cannot. Then they come here and complain about the cost. The carrier gets their money it the insurance company getting defrauded. Some people have no moral compass that that is fine. The way you live your life usually affects how your life is lived. Very seldom can you lie and cheat your way to prosperity.

If you can't go an buy another phone with ease, get insurance. If you cannot replace the screen with ease, get a screen protector. Just simple things can save us all headaches.

I agree with you there in a way that is correct, you say the price goes up for everyone, but why should it? what about all the people like me who've been paying for insurance for years every month and never claimed... lets just put it this way, I paid for his insurance!

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Verizon and their locked bootloaders they and at&t following suit I wanna move all this bloat and if u sign a contract u should get better customer service thsn the people who bought the phones outright.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you there in a way that is correct, you say the price goes up for everyone, but why should it? what about all the people like me who've been paying for insurance for years every month and never claimed... lets just put it this way, I paid for his insurance!

I do not get the carrier insurance because it use to be like $3 a month and I think it is now $7 or something like that. And the co insurance payment is like 195??? I do get square trade and I have thankfully never had a claim (knock wood). It is still reasonable to get square trade but soon it will not be. Fraud will drive their cost up to the point it is not worth it. It is this "I got mine and screw everyone else" mindset that must change.

I am not trying to come across as better than anyone because I am certainly not. I do know it would take a lot more than the cost of a new phone to test my integrity to the point that I am not square with myself when I put my head down to sleep.

Last edited:

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

It goes up because that's how business works. Its how insurance works. The charge you and everyone else a fee based on how much risk they are taking to insure your product.

In this example if they would insure the op for say $10 a month, he then files a claim right away and pays the $100 deductible. He has paid $110 for a $600 phone and they took a loss of $490. In 24 months they recoup another $240 from him assuming no other claims, so they would still be out $140. They make the difference up by taking payments from everyone else that has not filed a claim this month.

They also have to keep enough money around so that if all say 10 million people file a claim this month they can pay it out. Otherwise the government wouldn't like them too much nor would the people paying for insurance.

So anyway if they only people getting insurance are the ones that already broke their phones, they be out of business quick. You need people to pay for it and never file a claim. That is the only way a insurance company stays in business.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

voot

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well as the title suggests, i dropped my brand new galaxy s4. the screen didn't crack and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the outside of the phone but now there are a few hairline cracks below the glass and the phone displays a green hue over everything and it gets much worse when the keyboard is up. Is there any way to repair this? Any help would be appreciated. I'm so sick about the whole thing that I could scream. This is the first phone ive ever broken :'(

This may sound cynical, but can you post a picture? Interested to see the extent of the damage. Sorry about the misfortune!!

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I just looked up Swuaretrade and that looks like much cheaper insurance then what you can get from the carriers. Even cheaper for iPhones, my wife has to stay with freaking iPhone LOL. Has anybody used a claim on them? If so did it all work out smooth?

Tapatalk mofo

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It goes up because that's how business works. Its how insurance works. The charge you and everyone else a fee based on how much risk they are taking to insure your product.

In this example if they would insure the op for say $10 a month, he then files a claim right away and pays the $100 deductible. He has paid $110 for a $600 phone and they took a loss of $490. In 24 months they recoup another $240 from him assuming no other claims, so they would still be out $140. They make the difference up by taking payments from everyone else that has not filed a claim this month.

They also have to keep enough money around so that if all say 10 million people file a claim this month they can pay it out. Otherwise the government wouldn't like them too much nor would the people paying for insurance.

So anyway if they only people getting insurance are the ones that already broke their phones, they be out of business quick. You need people to pay for it and never file a claim. That is the only way a insurance company stays in business.

This is the purpose of Actuarial science. They also hopefully determine the percentage of policy holders that will file a legitimate claim versus a fraudulent claim and have a way to systematically deny claims such as this one; however some will always slip through the cracks and every one of them changes the percentage of claims filed versus active policies, which increases either the policy cost or deductible cost or both in the future. The formula ends with a static expected profit margin, and you can bet that they are always balancing to that number.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
This is the purpose of Actuarial science. They also hopefully determine the percentage of policy holders that will file a legitimate claim versus a fraudulent claim and have a way to systematically deny claims such as this one; however some will always slip through the cracks and every one of them changes the percentage of claims filed versus active policies, which increases either the policy cost or deductible cost or both in the future. The formula ends with a static expected profit margin, and you can bet that they are always balancing to that number.

Exactly. I work for a salvage auto auction so I deal with insurance companies pretty often. I don't know the math they do but I do know the lose their shirt when someone files a claim. We just sold a Ferrari f360 from hurricane sandy. They paid out 150k to the insured and we sold it for 66k. Take out a few hundred for our charges and that's a lot of money lost. Can't stay in business if everyone was costing you money like that.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I just looked up Swuaretrade and that looks like much cheaper insurance then what you can get from the carriers. Even cheaper for iPhones, my wife has to stay with freaking iPhone LOL. Has anybody used a claim on them? If so did it all work out smooth?

Tapatalk mofo

When I was looking at insurance for galaxy nexus that was who I was going to go with. I think they give new phones as well instead of refurbs if I remember right.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
This may sound cynical, but can you post a picture? Interested to see the extent of the damage. Sorry about the misfortune!!

As I stated earlier im not trying to get a freebie. I accept responsibility for breaking the phone and screwing an insurance company is not the way to resolve this. I dont really want to trade it because i really really love the phone. I would rather keep using my Nexus 4 than trade for something else. Here are pictures of it. These were taken last night and the purple spots have gotten much worse. I would assume because it is leaking or something. When you try to do something that requires the keyboard there is a green hue over the screen. When i first dropped it there were no spots and the green line wasnt there. If anyone wants to buy it just let me know. I might sell for the right price. (I know this isn't the place to ask that).

Attachments

• IMG_20130430_221224.jpg
    IMG_20130430_221224.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 109

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Does this seem legit? i found one yesterday that was selling the same part for approx $200 but i was unsure as to the reputation of the vendor. If this is real it doesnt seem all that bad to replace my screen. I cant find the LCD panel seperate from the panel/digitizer.

EDIT: i forgot to add the URL haha my bad Complete Screen Assembly for Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 -Blue - Parts4repair.Com

I don't know about that place actually. A quick google search brings up bad ratings and this thread xda, although short the guy didn't order there then. I just found it funny that touchwiz ui was one of the features listed lol.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1499431

And its nice to see that your not trying to pull a fast one. Its good to see someone take responsibility for what they did and didn't do.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Well as the title suggests, i dropped my brand new galaxy s4. the screen didn't crack and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the outside of the phone but now there are a few hairline cracks below the glass and the phone displays a green hue over everything and it gets much worse when the keyboard is up. Is there any way to repair this? Any help would be appreciated. I'm so sick about the whole thing that I could scream. This is the first phone ive ever broken :'(

That sucks man...hope you get it fixed

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
personally I think adding insurance and paying deductible is fair enough. they don't lose any money as they will fix the screen and refurb it out to the next guy.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Tapatalk mofo

Squaretrade isn't insurance, it's a protection plan.

Insurance covers loss and theft, protection plans don't.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay