Dropped Galaxy s4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallstreet123456

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you bought it with an Amex card give them a call they might have some coverage since you are a member, I know if you buy a product with Amex they double the warranty on it.

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Well you guys aren't gonna believe this. Took it to another BB and the employee said that since I just bought it we can put Geek Squad protection on it and just file a claim tomorrow and I would have a new phone in a couple of weeks. I asked if it was illegal since the phone is already broken? He said "we do this all the time. Don't worry about it".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well you guys aren't gonna believe this. Took it to another BB and the employee said that since I just bought it we can put Geek Squad protection on it and just file a claim tomorrow and I would have a new phone in a couple of weeks. I asked if it was illegal since the phone is already broken? He said "we do this all the time. Don't worry about it".

Would you please be so kind as to forward that information to Best Buy's asset protection department and your local police? :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

At least you attempted to do the honest thing. I am truly happy for you! Keep a tight grip on that new S4!

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
At least you attempted to do the honest thing. I am truly happy for you! Keep a tight grip on that new S4!

Thanks! This has been a fun process haha. I guess I'll be buying an otterbox soon
Im not gonna report this to anyone. No need for a person to lose their career over something silly.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

In a couple of weeks?! Well I guess u should be happy they giving it to you

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I knew someone who didn't have any insurance and dropped their iPhone 5, it cracked, took it to the Apple store and they replaced it because, after talking to him and he described it was a very short drop (2 to 3 feet or so), they said it should have been able to withstand that sort of drop and therefore replaced it under warranty as a defective phone.

Not sure if you can find a store that generous, but it might be an interesting argument to make: it was a very short drop and the phone should have been able to withstand it, and it is a sign of structural defect that it couldn't. ::::Shrug:::: You may not get anywhere, but if no other options it can't hurt to try.

4 ft isn't really a short drop, that's from roughly mid torso. I would expect any phone with glass to break if falling from 4ft onto hard tile. And if it didn't, id feel darn lucky.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Also, to people saying that insurance is pointless or the cost doesn't add up, look at it this way. A new s4 is roughly $600 (or more?) $7 a month for 24 months, plus the two allotted claims a year at $99 a claim equals $564 for two years. It is cheaper if not equal to the price of buying ONE new s4, and that's if you have to file two claims a year.

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Also, to people saying that insurance is pointless or the cost doesn't add up, look at it this way. A new s4 is roughly $600 (or more?) $7 a month for 24 months, plus the two allotted claims a year at $99 a claim equals $564 for two years. It is cheaper if not equal to the price of buying ONE new s4, and that's if you have to file two claims a year.

A new s4 is $750

coryh131

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I shattered my Note 2 screen and called Samsung directly. Samsung will install a new screen (glass & digitizer) on my Note 2 for $191 (includes tax). AT&T charges $10 a month for insurance plus has a $200 deductible so I don't see where the insurance benefit is.

On a related note - I decided not to fix it and buy a 4S instead :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I shattered my Note 2 screen and called Samsung directly. Samsung will install a new screen (glass & digitizer) on my Note 2 for $191 (includes tax). AT&T charges $10 a month for insurance plus has a $200 deductible so I don't see where the insurance benefit is.

On a related note - I decided not to fix it and buy a 4S instead :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
On Verizon its $7 a month with a $99 deductible. So if my husband were to break his note 2, and it cost $191, there is still profit to be made from insurance due to the fact if he were to break it 4 times in two years the total would be almost $800 compared to the $500 something I mentioned earlier.

apalm8

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well as the title suggests, i dropped my brand new galaxy s4. the screen didn't crack and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the outside of the phone but now there are a few hairline cracks below the glass and the phone displays a green hue over everything and it gets much worse when the keyboard is up. Is there any way to repair this? Any help would be appreciated. I'm so sick about the whole thing that I could scream. This is the first phone ive ever broken :'(

Many people **** and moan about the build quality but sometimes when you drop a phone onto a hard surface there is nothing to be done. Try bringing it back...what's the worst they tell you?

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Luckily for those who got bored of this threat advocating insurance fraud, there is another just like it! Also in the S4 threads... it makes one wonder if there is a correlation between immoral thieves and S4 fanatics! Just kidding, 2 points is not a trend... just a coincidence.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/274276-first-drop-off-4-foot-bar-table-concrete.html

I don't really understand how buying insurance within the window that they allow you to is fraud. If they wanted to prevent people from buying insurance within 30 days but after they broke the device they would probably require a device inspection to purchase the insurance or just not let you buy it once you leave the store. I don't consider this situation fraud. I doubt they even ask if the device is already broke so therefor you aren't even lying to anyone and in this case the OP told the employee that it was broke and was his own fault.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't really understand how buying insurance within the window that they allow you to is fraud. If they wanted to prevent people from buying insurance within 30 days but after they broke the device they would probably require a device inspection to purchase the insurance or just not let you buy it once you leave the store. I don't consider this situation fraud. I doubt they even ask if the device is already broke so therefor you aren't even lying to anyone and in this case the OP told the employee that it was broke and was his own fault.

Not sure about other types of plans but with square trade I had to certify the phone was in good working order when signing up. I got it for my Note 2 since I paid almost $700 for it. I had a 100 gift card for Amazon, so I bought it from there. I did not for my Nexus 4 because it is a bit less at 400. Some people think it is not worth it but I felt better about having it.

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about other types of plans but with square trade I had to certify the phone was in good working order when signing up. I got it for my Note 2 since I paid almost $700 for it. I did not for my Nexus 4 because it is a bit less at 400.

If that is the case then I can understand that lying about the condition is not the right thing to do. That could be considered fraud since you are certifying something that isn't true.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The legality would be specific to the agreement and terms of conditions upon the inception of the purchase, however the immorality stems from the concept of insurance, which is to receive value on an item equal to the loss. At present his device is worth resale of a used device minus the cost of parts and repairs. My estimate would put that around $150. The insurance will replace it with something closer to $550 in value, leaving other consumers to eat up the difference of $400, multiplied by the number of people who defraud in the exact same way, in future rate hikes. The participation of the Best Buy employee in the scam, despite his effort to enhance customer experience, should have him fired, if not charged with theft and insurance fraud. Someone else doing something wrong doesn't excuse your wrong action, nor in any way provide justification or mitigation of culpability.

stephanb

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry my friend but where I come from your logic is called situational ethics and I can't reason with it and that's only on Verizon everywhere else they still block it so basically what I'm trying to say is that either you have it or you don't and at the end of the day if the op wants to give his carrier the oke doke that's his prerogative not yours to judge.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We're way off subject here and that is in no small way my fault. My apologies to everyone for that. I'm glad the OP's situation got worked out and that he can enjoy the device. As for the rest of it, in some cases we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.