I have recently purchased an S4 running 4.2.2 having come from using an iPhone 4. Lock screen widgets are important to me but having read around, it is apparent that Samsung have disabled multiple lock screen widgets if Pattern or PIN are used as security.

The questions I am facing now are:

- Do I wait to see if the Dashclock developer can work on a workaround?

- Or can I use something like Widget Locker to install Dashclock widget on lock screen with pattern or pin?

Thanks for feedback

Litfoo
    04-30-2013 03:31 PM
    I ran into the same problem with many apps and widgets that have to deal with lockscreen when pin or pattern are being used.

1. There doesn't seem to be a single app that can toggle lockscreen on/off if you use pattern or pin, only non-secure screenlocks (swipe). I had such apps on my old Android phone and they worked fine. I wish there was a simple and easy, one click app or widget to toggle lock when at home or any safe environment.

2. Dashboard and other similar widgets won't work either. Any app that has to have access to lockscreen that had been locked with pin or pattern, won't work.

And finally, I read on one of the forums that, supposedly, the reason for this is that the latest 4.2.2 OS had been redesigned so that some of the security features had been moved to an area of OS that is out of limits for apps to access and/or modify. Even Samsung customer support is clueless about this. Google is your best friend sometimes Therefore, I don't have high hopes that there will be any solution any time soon. I'm not sure if this is an issue with Samsung's stock Android or it will be an issue with other new phones such as HTC One. I might be getting HTC One soon, and will report back if this situation is any different.

BTW, nice phone, fast as hell, I got it, too
    bob7770699 likes this.
    04-30-2013 08:14 PM
    The odd thing is it works just fine on a Nexus 4 w/ 4.2.2. PIN enabled and all ...
    05-02-2013 06:59 PM
    The odd thing is it works just fine on a Nexus 4 w/ 4.2.2. PIN enabled and all ...
    +1 it works fine on my Nexus 4 with PIN. A bummer if it does not on the S4...
    05-02-2013 07:10 PM
    Has this changed at all or has someone figured out a workaround?

I still want to be able to use dashclock widgets to my lock screen (pattern enabled)

Very frustrating to hear my phone whistle and/or vibrate and I don't know what's happening.
    bstinson23 likes this.
    06-06-2013 09:31 AM
    This is by no means an Android thing, it's a Samsung decision. And one I agree with, too... Most iUsers rant about this but IMHO, if you choose a secure lockscreen, you need to provide the right credential to be able to use your phone AT ALL. No widgets, no previews, no camera, nothing... THAT is what secure means.

BTW, the only way to get rid of this is by rooting and applying a hack. Sorry. Or wait for the "Nexus" Galaxy S4 to come out, the image taken out and ROMs start rolling to convert your current S4 into a 'Vanilla Android' S4; then you can use widgets on 'secure' lockscreens (but if you ask me, that's not secure...but to each their own).
    06-06-2013 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Sigh...
    06-06-2013 10:21 AM
    Well This is odd since Whatsapp has manager to skip the lock screen and enable users to respond incoming messages from the lock screen on my Galaxy S4. That really gives me hope.
    06-18-2013 10:05 AM
    There's already like 5 of these threads...you can't do it.
    06-18-2013 10:15 AM
    Well This is odd since Whatsapp has manager to skip the lock screen and enable users to respond incoming messages from the lock screen on my Galaxy S4. That really gives me hope.

Yes. I noticed this too. Whassap manages to get messages through the lock screen security. You can even reply.

For all those people that have been stating it is simply not possible to receive lock screen notifications, how do you explain this Whassap behaviour?
    06-18-2013 11:46 AM
    The OP was for lockscreen widgets, not user interaction. Apps CAN bypass the lockscreen if you configure them that way (and the dev implements it), and that's how Whatsapp's pop-up screen can do it. There are other apps that can do this, too. BUT that's not a system lockscreen widget, it's an app pop-up, just like a notification in the notification bar.
    06-18-2013 12:14 PM
    The OP was for lockscreen widgets, not user interaction. Apps CAN bypass the lockscreen if you configure them that way (and the dev implements it), and that's how Whatsapp's pop-up screen can do it. There are other apps that can do this, too. BUT that's not a system lockscreen widget, it's an app pop-up, just like a notification in the notification bar.
    That makes perfect sense. I should have been more precise in my original thread. I am not looking for lock screen widgets actually.

I want to see lock screen notifications.

----------------

I have since purchased Popup Notifier Plus and it seems to be doing the trick
    06-18-2013 12:49 PM
    Oooooh OK hehe Well, then yeah, that is allowed haha But it has to be integrated into the app, so that's up to the devs. Like you did, you could always use 3rd party apps that 'intercept' other apps' notifications and display it on a pop-up... I know, most ex-iOS love this, but IMHO, having my messages pop-up for everyone to see it's a no-no. I tried it once or twice with Whatsapp and FriendCaster and ended up hating it hehe (That's actually what I don't like about my iPod :P)
    06-19-2013 09:27 AM
    Yeah, I have to admit - I am an ex-iOS user myself
    06-19-2013 09:41 AM
    It seems that pretty much every iPhone to S4 convert misses the iOS lockscreen notifications. It would have been nice if Samsung had given us options.
    One potential solution is an alternative lock screen called LockerPro, available in the play store. There is a free Lite version. Its not perfect, but seems to be a step in the right direction for those who want more lockscren capabilities, especially with a PIN code.
    06-19-2013 10:26 AM
    It seems that pretty much every iPhone to S4 convert misses the iOS lockscreen notifications. It would have been nice if Samsung had given us options.
    One potential solution is an alternative lock screen called LockerPro, available in the play store. There is a free Lite version. Its not perfect, but seems to be a step in the right direction for those who want more lockscren capabilities, especially with a PIN code.
    HI Kirk - is this with a PIN code on stock Android or also on JellyBean 4.2 Samsung Touchwiz
    06-19-2013 10:38 AM
    I think its possible, I think the DashClock Dev needs to work on this
    06-19-2013 11:29 AM
    I tried LockerPro but think I I will stay with Popup Notifier Plus
    06-19-2013 02:37 PM
    Could I get a little description of how to do this on the Nexus 4 with 4.3? I can't seem to get it to work with the PIN enabled. Thanks.
    09-18-2013 02:07 PM