Galaxy S4 Performance Issues (Release software)

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Undoubtedly there's several of you who have come to notice that during screen transitions, messaging, and most notably using the gallery, there's quite a bit of stuttering on the Galaxy S4. Before I go any further, i want to make sure people keep in perspective that this is from the release software on the US versions.

During screen transitions on the home screen, there's an animation that's shown when you scroll from left to right or when you go into the app drawer. Occasionally, the animation will catch and you'll notice a stutter between the transitions. Fortunately for this particular issue, a quick remedy (but not a cure-all) can be applied. In some cases, people have reported that it's fixed the issue for them, but I can't guarantee that.

-Under "About Device", tap on the Build Number 7 times until it text pops up on your screen that you've enabled Developer Options. It's under the "More" section. From there, there's 3 options I would suggest to turn off: Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale. This should stop any animation issues you're having.

It's important to note that while this particular issue can be perceived as lag, it is not. Doesn't make it anymore acceptable, but it's not an issue with your phone not being fast enough to handle the software. It is.

Once we get past that, there's still some other areas that making those changes may not fix. Some of you have reported that keeping the sensors for Air View/Gesture and Smart Scroll/Stay on can negatively impact the performance of your phone. I haven't been able to replicate that, but it is entirely possible that those sensors are CPU hogs and are slowing your phone down. I'd be curious to hear the exact conditions people are experiencing this with (Power Saving mode on, etc).

The home button issue has been well-documented on other Galaxy phones. If you don't use S Voice, or don't need the ability to pull it up via the physical home button, you can go into the S Voice settings and remove the option that opens S Voice after double tapping the home button. This generally makes using the home button quicker as it no longer has to process whether you're going to hit the button one more time to open S Voice.

Stock applications have also been referenced in some of the issues, including messaging, calendar, browser, and gallery. I've recently gotten the gallery to stutter, especially upon opening the application. I'm not entirely sure how much of (if any) these issues are fixed by turning off the scales. One thing I've tried is forcing GPU rendering through Developer Options. It has made a difference in the loading of the stock applications, but gallery seems to be immune to it.

So having to force GPU rendering and turn off animations may seem like we're doing their job for them. I would agree. If I had to pinpoint these issues, it would be with two things: Touchwiz is buggy on every new itertation of a device from Samsung and they rushed 4.2.2 out without optimizing it for their software. I can understand their reasoning behind it, but I would have expected a little more, even at launch.

So what does this mean for the end user and prospective buyers? Not too much, but you won't get the consistent UI experience that you'd get from an iPhone 5 or HTC One (for now). Even with some of the stuttering, this phone is an amazing device that has some buggy software at launch. I fully expect Samsung to rectify this sooner rather than later as I don't see these things being massive fixes. Performance enhancement/bug fix updates are very common soon after a launch and from what I gather, there's already been an update to the unlocked versions.

Some good news? Battery life is pretty damn impressive. Keep an eye on the Battery Screenshot thread as people are getting some really good numbers.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this well thought out post. Very level headed and left open for reasonable discussion ;)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Good info. Thanks

One software "issue" I found is that I can no longer stream Pandora from my S4 like I could my SIII (streamed via the Kenwood car radio w/Pandora built in). Whenever I try to stream, the head unit just says "Check Device" meaning it isn't connecting Pandora to Pandora. I can however stream all my music and phone calls etc via the receivers "Bluetooth Audio" source. I asked Pandora and Kenwood about it and Pandora thinks it's the newer version of Jelly Bean that's causing it. Not 100% sure, but it's a bit frustrating.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The number one issue I have with this is that the typical consumer doesn't need to worry about this. Instead, they are here trying to figure out why their brand spanking new phone, the Android Flagship (if you want to call it that), with a more powerful processor and internals than an iPhone, is stuttering.

Consumers don't need to know about window animation scale, or transition animation scale.... which is why Google hid the developer options.

What Samsung should have done is have this device running like butter at launch. To tell you the truth, I was always wondering why Samsung decided to go with a faster cloked 1.9Ghz processor, and before launch, I was thinking to myself "maybe the software is buggy and laggy?"

It's not a very big deal, and still a great phone.... but.... there are other phones out there, mainly the iPhone, that don't have that issue. I would think that Samsung is trying to go after that market.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd say for the sake of starting a huge debate we can all come to the conclusion since this is one of the first branded devices to release with 4.2.2 out of the box and have a custom skin or UI thrown over the top it will need some tweaking and updates. Thats a given, I don't care if it was Sammy or HTC, LG, its still being tweaked on the Nexus devices to some extent..

Kudo's to Sammy for bringing the latest OS to the game but they also set themselves up for various bug issues by doing so.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd say for the sake of starting a huge debate we can all come to the conclusion since this is one of the first branded devices to release with 4.2.2 out of the box and have a custom skin or UI thrown over the top it will need some tweaking and updates. Thats a given, I don't care if it was Sammy or HTC, LG, its still being tweaked on the Nexus devices to some extent..

Kudo's to Sammy for bringing the latest OS to the game but they also set themselves up for various bug issues by doing so.

You're assuming the problem is widespread and not limited to a few people that post on AC or other sites. Honestly I have no idea if it's widespread but people tend to complain more than they praise.

I would, however, stick my neck and say that the vast majority of people wouldn't know what lag or stuttering was if it hit them in the face and by and large the S4 will faster than what they are trading in.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You're assuming the problem is widespread and not limited to a few people that post on AC or other sites. Honestly I have no idea if it's widespread but people tend to complain more than they praise.

I would, however, stick my neck and say that the vast majority of people wouldn't know what lag or stuttering was if it hit them in the face and by and large the S4 will faster than what they are trading in.

Agreed. Most people will love it because it's faster than what they came from.

@OP Great thread. Awesome information. :)

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. 4.2.2 on its own isn't bug-free, but Samsung made the decision to incorporate it at launch and fine tune it afterwards. Can't say I wouldnt have done the same.

The majority of users won't notice these things before the update comes, but obviously those of us here can see it pretty clearly. That said, I'm still very happy with this device. The battery has been excellent, the camera has taken some very nice shots for me over the weekend, and the inside my right pinky finger is grateful for a phone without chamfered edges.

As far the issue with Pandora, I think they're correct in saying its 4.2.2. There's been issues with that staying connected. Have you deleted the saved profile on your car/device and restarted? I'm assuming you've tried the normal stuff, but figured I'd check.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The number one issue I have with this is that the typical consumer doesn't need to worry about this. Instead, they are here trying to figure out why their brand spanking new phone, the Android Flagship (if you want to call it that), with a more powerful processor and internals than an iPhone, is stuttering.

Consumers don't need to know about window animation scale, or transition animation scale.... which is why Google hid the developer options.

What Samsung should have done is have this device running like butter at launch. To tell you the truth, I was always wondering why Samsung decided to go with a faster cloked 1.9Ghz processor, and before launch, I was thinking to myself "maybe the software is buggy and laggy?"

It's not a very big deal, and still a great phone.... but.... there are other phones out there, mainly the iPhone, that don't have that issue. I would think that Samsung is trying to go after that market.

Can you name me just one phone that was wide spread, BUG FREE, on all 4 carriers at launch?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Easily understandable to have that thought, but my guess is that Samsung opted to be able to launch with 4.2.2 (latest version of Android) and work the kinks out during the initial launch period. The average user isn't going to think much of these issues because they'll either barely notice them or won't at all.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

As much as I love it my Infuse is clearly showing its age even with 4.2.2 on it. Takes like four seconds just to pull up Google Now. My best friend will lose his mind when he upgrades from that Droid with the slider. I forgot the name of that phone.

My phone is a good One!

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
-Under "About Device", tap on the Build Number 7 times until it text pops up on your screen that you've enabled Developer Options. It's under the "More" section. From there, there's 3 options I would suggest to turn off: Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale. This should stop any animation issues you're having.

it fixes it somewhat...there is still lag though even with it turned off

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Can you name me just one phone that was wide spread, BUG FREE, on all 4 carriers at launch?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

iPhone 5. I don't include the maps app as being a bug, because the app itself was fine, it was the data that it used that was flawed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I can't speak from personal experience on the S4 but given that this is the first showing of 4.2.2 running a skin like TW I wouldn't be surprised to see some tweaking done by Samsung to adjust things. Then couple the OEM skin with some carrier provided bloat on top of that and many different scenarios can be produced.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak from personal experience on the S4 but given that this is the first showing of 4.2.2 running a skin like TW I wouldn't be surprised to see some tweaking done by Samsung to adjust things. Then couple the OEM skin with some carrier provided bloat on top of that and many different scenarios can be produced.

That's something that needs to be remembered in this situation. 4.2.2, as much as I love it on the Nexus 4, isn't perfect by any means. App drawer lag exists from time to time, there's bluetooth issues, etc. Maybe Samsung is set on trying to release 4.3/5.0 as quickly as possible and has decided to turn their efforts there?

Now that we've established that I'm also funny, I haven't been able to see any stutter (or anything extra) and I've had the Air View/Air Gesture/Smart Scroll options enabled since yesterday. I will say, though, that Air View doesn't seem to want to work in the stock messaging application. It picks and chooses which text messages to preview. Calendar works just fine, video player works just fine, and so does Flipboard.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This is a good thread. I just got my S4 and I've experienced some of the same stuttering mentioned. It sursprised me becuase I didn't have a lot of stuttering when I had the S3. I appreciate the information from the OP. Good points made about 4.2.2

Besides all that, this is a great phone and I knew I would like it. I really like the feel of it and it is different from the S3 IMO. I will be swithcing back and forth between this and my HTC One.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I am not assuming. I sell phones for a living. Every single one of the S4's that I have touched and used for more than 5 minutes shows signs of lag and stutter. That is without any extra apps, processes, storage, or anything else done to it. Brand spanking new. I see that as an issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers