Galaxy S4 Performance Issues (Release software)

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Can you name me just one phone that was wide spread, BUG FREE, on all 4 carriers at launch?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

That doesn't exist. But you know what does exist? A phone that has launched on all carriers without lag and stuttering problems. Again, I love the phone. It is a great device. But it does have lag and stuttering issues, which I have not seen on HTC One or the iPhone 5 (at all whatsoever, actually), and I did not see on Galaxy S 3. This is software. Samsung was able to deliver a solid software with the GS3, why not this?

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it's not always better to jump on new high end devices, lol! I was going to get the S4 but after playing around on a new out of the box one in store I decided not to. The S4 lagged and stuttered alot. I currently own the LG Lucid and it lags once in a blue moon. I thought a high end model would be better, guess not.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't exist. But you know what does exist? A phone that has launched on all carriers without lag and stuttering problems. Again, I love the phone. It is a great device. But it does have lag and stuttering issues, which I have not seen on HTC One or the iPhone 5 (at all whatsoever, actually), and I did not see on Galaxy S 3. This is software. Samsung was able to deliver a solid software with the GS3, why not this?

I'm not giving Samsung a pass here, because I agree with you, but you have to understand the difference here between the S4 and those other devices you named. They made the push to put Android 4.2.2 on this device and I don't think they had the time to optimize the experience. If I had to put money on what I think is currently wrong with the S4, that would be it.

Now I guess the question you have to ask yourself is this; is it easier to push firmware/software updates that have performance enhancements after the fact and fix the stuttering in the UI or upgrade completely from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2? For us early adopters, there's some bugs, but that happens on every phone. I guess I just figure that Samsung will fix the performance on the S4 long before anyone else upgrades their phone to 4.2.2.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not giving Samsung a pass here, because I agree with you, but you have to understand the difference here between the S4 and those other devices you named. They made the push to put Android 4.2.2 on this device and I don't think they had the time to optimize the experience. If I had to put money on what I think is currently wrong with the S4, that would be it.

Now I guess the question you have to ask yourself is this; is it easier to push firmware/software updates that have performance enhancements after the fact and fix the stuttering in the UI or upgrade completely from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2? For us early adopters, there's some bugs, but that happens on every phone. I guess I just figure that Samsung will fix the performance on the S4 long before anyone else upgrades their phone to 4.2.2.

You make good points and I hope your right. I'm noticing the stutter a lot now and it is irritatting me a little. I would actually prefer it had 4.1.2 if it ran smoother. I have a friend who is a longtime HTC user and before that, the Iphone. He is ready to upgrade his phones for him and his wife and I recommended the HTC One.

It's funny because I thought once I got this phone in my hand I would like it more than the HTC One, but that's not the case.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You make good points and I hope your right. I'm noticing the stutter a lot now and it is irritatting me a little. I would actually prefer it had 4.1.2 if it ran smoother. I have a friend who is a longtime HTC user and before that, the Iphone. He is ready to upgrade his phones for him and his wife and I recommended the HTC One.

It's funny because I thought once I got this phone in my hand I would like it more than the HTC One, but that's not the case.

I would gladly live with a little lag(which fortunately I dont have) then deal with all the issues and short comings of the One, some of which are more difficult or impossible to fix. Just having buttons that are in the right places and work and a menu key makes it worth it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I would gladly live with a little lag(which fortunately I dont have) then deal with all the issues and short comings of the One, some of which are more difficult or impossible to fix. Just having buttons that are in the right places and work and a menu key makes it worth it.

I like the button placement of the S4 better also. I'm left-handed and the S4 is much easier to hold in my hand and operate compared to the HTC One. I also like the custimization options. Having said that, I still like the HTC One better overall. You created a whole thread on the HTC One forum talking about why it failed before you even had the phone, so I won't bother telling you why I like it more.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I like the button placement of the S4 better also. I'm left-handed and the S4 is much easier to hold in my hand and operate compared to the HTC One. I also like the custimization options. Having said that, I still like the HTC One better overall. You created a whole thread on the HTC One forum talking about why it failed before you even had the phone, so I won't bother telling you why I like it more.

Fair enough but the One is a good phone, just not for me. I kept it in my family however.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Apparently a firmware update hit this morning for the 9500/9505 versions. Some people over at XDA are reporting that the phone is much smoother with zero lag as a result of it. Take that for what it's worth, but it's very possible Samsung is already addressing the issues with the S4.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So I went and played with one again, this time at the T-mobile store. The biggest instances of lag I found were when I went from the settings menus back to the home screen. Like I said in one of the other threads, it wasn't horrible but it was a little annoying. It was also inconsistent, which makes me think it just needs some more optimization.

Regardless, I'm leaning very much towards exchanging my One for the S4. Either way, I'll still have a great phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So I went and played with one again, this time at the T-mobile store. The biggest instances of lag I found were when I went from the settings menus back to the home screen. Like I said in one of the other threads, it wasn't horrible but it was a little annoying. It was also inconsistent, which makes me think it just needs some more optimization.

Regardless, I'm leaning very much towards exchanging my One for the S4. Either way, I'll still have a great phone.

Very true. All the power is under the hood to make this thing fly, but they just need to tweak it a little.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Very true. All the power is under the hood to make this thing fly, but they just need to tweak it a little.

Exactly. Plus, since it didn't always happen and didn't always happen in the same place, it reinforced for me that it was due to the software. Now I just need to decide what the heck I'm going to do. (Oh who am I kidding, tmobile is getting a call from me to initiate the exchange)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Plus, since it didn't always happen and didn't always happen in the same place, it reinforced for me that it was due to the software. Now I just need to decide what the heck I'm going to do. (Oh who am I kidding, tmobile is getting a call from me to initiate the exchange)

Why all of a sudden are you getting rid of the HTC One? It's not like its a bad phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why all of a sudden are you getting rid of the HTC One? It's not like its a bad phone.

Oh nothing bad with the one at all. I like it a great deal. (Camera, design, and software are all very nice) Can't really put my finger on why I want to trade it for the S4, its just a feeling. Can't say I'm as attached to the One as I was with the DNA I had, which is pretty telling for me personally.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have issues with multi-window not behaving correctly? This morning, I noticed that the access tab was not on my homescreen. I went to Settings and unchecked/rechecked it to renewable the feature.

Sent Via My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have issues with multi-window not behaving correctly? This morning, I noticed that the access tab was not on my homescreen. I went to Settings and unchecked/rechecked it to renewable the feature.

Sent Via My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Long press the back button to turn on or off.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh nothing bad with the one at all. I like it a great deal. (Camera, design, and software are all very nice) Can't really put my finger on why I want to trade it for the S4, its just a feeling. Can't say I'm as attached to the One as I was with the DNA I had, which is pretty telling for me personally.

Wow, so you left Verizon to get the One and it didn't capture you like the DNA. I feel for you brother.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I think it comes down to the fact that the main appeal of the One is that its -different-. The design is different, Sense 5 is different, the camera is different. Most of it's good, but when the newness wears off, the flaws aren't as forgiving. Definitely happened to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow, so you left Verizon to get the One and it didn't capture you like the DNA. I feel for you brother.

Oh I was going to leave Verizon anyways. My contract was up, and I was tired of their bs. It was always going to be the One, S4 or Nexus 4.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it comes down to the fact that the main appeal of the One is that its -different-. The design is different, Sense 5 is different, the camera is different. Most of it's good, but when the newness wears off, the flaws aren't as forgiving. Definitely happened to me.

I'm not even sure if it's that. I can't really explain it at the moment. I had the same feeling when I used my upgrade on Verizon to go back to the iPhone 5, only to return it a week or so later.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not even sure if it's that. I can't really explain it at the moment. I had the same feeling when I used my upgrade on Verizon to go back to the iPhone 5, only to return it a week or so later.

Well if it makes you feel better, I'm in a similar boat. I'm pretty certain I want the GT-I9500 so I can have that Exynos 5 Octa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol