Galaxy S4 Performance Issues (Release software)

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it comes down to the fact that the main appeal of the One is that its -different-. The design is different, Sense 5 is different, the camera is different. Most of it's good, but when the newness wears off, the flaws aren't as forgiving. Definitely happened to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Ok you have mentioned "flaws" on the HTC One a couple of times.... I am curious as to what flaws you are talking about? Are you talking about flaws that are actually flaws with the phone, or just things that don't appeal to YOU? Just curious.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok you have mentioned "flaws" on the HTC One a couple of times.... I am curious as to what flaws you are talking about? Are you talking about flaws that are actually flaws with the phone, or just things that don't appeal to YOU? Just curious.

Things I consider flaws, such as the capacitive buttons, the too-flush power button, the button layout, etc. If we're talking actual flaws, at least in my case? A gap big enough to catch on a fingernail and a screen that jutted out under the top speaker grill.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Pandora streams just fine with my new S4 and Jelly Bean.

Good info. Thanks

One software "issue" I found is that I can no longer stream Pandora from my S4 like I could my SIII (streamed via the Kenwood car radio w/Pandora built in). Whenever I try to stream, the head unit just says "Check Device" meaning it isn't connecting Pandora to Pandora. I can however stream all my music and phone calls etc via the receivers "Bluetooth Audio" source. I asked Pandora and Kenwood about it and Pandora thinks it's the newer version of Jelly Bean that's causing it. Not 100% sure, but it's a bit frustrating.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a galaxy s4 with ATT and have the lag to. I'm still under the 14 day period. Would going and swapping out my s4 for a new s4 maybe help?
Thanks in advance.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a galaxy s4 with ATT and have the lag to. I'm still under the 14 day period. Would going and swapping out my s4 for a new s4 maybe help?
Thanks in advance.

Doubtful. If for whatever reason it's that bad for you even after doing the things I highlighted in my original post, and you're not willing to wait for an update/bug fix on a phone that's a week old, then I'd suggest choosing a different device.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful. If for whatever reason it's that bad for you even after doing the things I highlighted in my original post, and you're not willing to wait for an update/bug fix on a phone that's a week old, then I'd suggest choosing a different device.

I can wait I was just curious that's what the guy at the ATT tech support store said just to swap out devices. But if that won't work I'll just wait.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can wait I was just curious that's what the guy at the ATT tech support store said just to swap out devices. But if that won't work I'll just wait.

Did you do the things I had highlighted in the original post in this thread? I almost never have my phone stutter.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope a patch is coming soon for the Tmobile version also. I'm actually trying out the setting 1.5X in the animation scales for the three mentioned in the OP. It still stutters a little but I think I like it better this way. It reminds me of the "Relaxed" animation setting in Nova launcher.

Eric Kane 1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes I did what was mentioned end above. A lot better. Hopefully the ota comes soon.

You ask and you shall receive. Both TMobile and AT&T updated the software for their respective S4s this morning. Some highlights:

-Better RAM allocation. That seems to be the driving force behind the update.
-Lock screen no longer lags with light/ripple effects.
-Apps open quicker. Most notably the stock applications.
-Multi-tasking (swiping away apps) is faster.
-Gallery loads quicker, but I'd still say it could be better. Not sure this was specifically addressed in this update.
-Transition animations are no longer an issue. Even at 1x, the phone is fast.
-Physical home button doesn't lag anymore. I'd still recommend checking off the S Voice option to open via double tap on the home button, though. It's not terrible anymore, but it's much faster without it.

Hats off to Samsung for addressing this so quickly.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
You ask and you shall receive. Both TMobile and AT&T updated the software for their respective S4s this morning. Some highlights:

-Gallery loads quicker, but I'd still say it could be better. Not sure this was specifically addressed in this update.
-Physical home button doesn't lag anymore. I'd still recommend checking off the S Voice option to open via double tap on the home button, though. It's not terrible anymore, but it's much faster without it.

Sounds great! Here's to hoping the 32GBs that get released on Friday will have the same update available.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

UPS can't come soon enough with mine! I am also happy Samsung moved quickly with an update. Very likely they decided to release it with somewhat buggy software knowing this update would be ready. (Its also probably why Verizon's version isn't out yet)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
UPS can't come soon enough with mine! I am also happy Samsung moved quickly with an update. Very likely they decided to release it with somewhat buggy software knowing this update would be ready. (Its also probably why Verizon's version isn't out yet)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Been saying that for the last week to anyone who would listen. Ha.

Melissa Zapadinsky

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if anyone can help me with a question. When I am in messaging and trying to type a message, the keyboard will think i am touching it as a "long" touch and it will type the symbol rather than the letter, then when backspacing it will think i am "long" touching as well and delete most if not all of my message. It will do that with my back key and menu key as well. Is that what you call stuttering or lagging? If not, anyone know of a fix for that? I have tried the animation suggestions and turning off all the extra goodies and it still happens. I even took the phone back and got a new one and its doing it on the new phone as well. could it be from an app I've downloaded? The rest of it seems to be running fine, but this is getting pretty annoying...

kirua

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just upgraded from a S2 to a S4, and I'd give the phone a 10/10 if it weren't for two issues I'm facing.

1. There is a noticable lag when I was just just checking text messages (the reason why I'm here).
2. There doesn't seem to be a way to reply to messages from the lockscreen with stock apps (this is ironically easily done with the S2).

I've read though this thread and the previous, so I'll just like to make it clear that the lag is there despite disabling those 3 developer options and all sensor based stuff.
Hope the update fixes it.

mojo2nv

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung S4 and a Toyota FJ Cruiser late 2011 model. I can pair the phone using bluetooth fine. But when I make a call there is no dialtone no voice. With the S3 it worked fine but not with the S4. Can anyone out there help please?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I spent considerable time using the galaxy s4 as a daily driver. With the features I had enabled, and the apps I used, I noticed significant lag performing sometimes the most simple of tasks. Unresponsive screen while trying to answer a call, app transitions, etc... I was rather disappointed. However running the Google edition ROM on the device made it significantly more responsive mostly due to the absents of touchwiz. Basically the majority of the features of the s4 lag the device.

Jumping over to the HTC one, I noticed pretty much zero shutters and minimal lag. App transition was smooth, gaming, etc. I decided to adopt the HTC one as my daily driver. Its a top of the line smartphone that isn't over saturated with useless (in my opinion) features similar to those found on touchwiz. Its snappy out of the box, as it should be.

A month later I'm still using the htc one as my daily driver and couldn't be more happy. Add the custom sense ROM and mods, it makes it an even more enjoyable device to use and own.

In the end like I have said before it's all personal opinion. However its rather unfortunate a quad core phone would be unresponsive at times and just generally laggy. Now I've heard others whom say they have zero lag on the s4, and that all comes down to the variations in use.

I really wanted to love and keep the s4, I just couldn't see myself using it for one to Two years. Others love it.

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech