AKA GS4 vs HTC One

I'm posting this thread on HTC One and SG4 forums.

My current phone is an Blackberry Bold. This is provided by my employer. I am looking for a smartphone for my personal needs.
    Since the last 2 weeks I have spent at least 20 hours reading user and expert reviews. I am writing this post in order to have more users feedbacks ...

So, there is the key feature that is important to me...

First, i'm in Canada, and here the contract for mobile phone is 3 years. So i need a phone that won't be completely outdated in 3 years. I mean, I know it will be old, but I hope the phone will still perform well and not be too much scratched and damaged. It is metal vs plastic I guess.
    Being father of 2 beautiful girls, the camera is very important to me. I will take tons of pictures and share them on Facebook, Picasa...
    Facebook, Browsing the web... must be fast.
    Light and slim. My phone will be in my jeans pocket most of the time.
    Performance. Paying a smartphone over 600$ I expect to be as lag and bug free as much as possible.
    Features. I don't need all the features such as air-gesture and smart pause stuff, but definitly like to have many features that I could enable or disable at my conveniance.
    I would like to have something like Siri with voice command (I think Google now do it?).
    Storage: I don't NEED to have portable memory card. I will send pictures on Facebook or save it on my computer by USB.
    Battery : I don't plan to buy backup battery, so unable to remove the back is not a big deal, except if the battery of The One would be bad as hell in 2 years. I need at least 12 hrs autonomy.

Well.. that's pretty much what i have in mind.

Durable, professional looking, mature usage, great camera, great performance for browsing and facebook.

Thanks for giving your opinions based on my needs. Please let's be mature and polite.
    04-30-2013 07:22 PM
    Really for the things that are important to you I don't think you could go wrong with either phone. they are both great in their own ways. They will both accomplish the things you listed exceptionally well. I say you go and actually spend a little bit with each of them in store and determine which one fits your style best. That way you can best judge things like button placement and build materials to see which you prefer.
    majorpayne and brianphrack like this.
    04-30-2013 07:33 PM
    I agree with Drov. I've played around with both of these phone and they really are both great phones. I would suggest that you go and play with both in person.

I can tell you that I am going to be getting the GS4 when my contract is up and I'll give you my reasoning:

- In a case you can't tell whether the phone is plastic or aluminum. You can get covers for the S4 that have aluminum on them and lots of covers for the One that have plastic all over them.
    - Both cameras look excellent. Most of the photography I do is not in low-light situations. The pictures I've seen with the night mode from the S4 all look sufficient for my low-light need. Both cameras look to be very good in most use cases.
    - I currently have a Photon 4G running Android 2.4.5. I am tired of getting phones that get left behind on updates. Updates are slow for both HTC and Samsung, but Samsung has updated the GSII (from two years ago) to 4.1. If Samsung updates devices for that long, that is something I can get on board with.
    - I want good developer support. There are plenty of apps that support only specific devices. I don't know how many units the HTC One is going to ship. I do know that Samsung is going to sell dozens of millions of units across the globe. This gives me a fair amount of confidence that developers will support the GS4 for years to come.
    - I am a heavy user of my phone. I often have to refuel during the day because my phone will not make it until I get home at night. While both the HTC One and the GS4 will have better battery life than my current phone, every battery deteriorates over the long term. I plan on using this phone for two years and I've never had a battery last me two years without battery life decreasing by 10-20%. If that were to happen I couldn't replace the battery easily in the HTC One. I can do it pretty easily in the GS4.
    - The GS4 just felt better in my hands. Go into a local store and play around with both of them. Hold it like you would normally hold your phone. Can you use the phone easily? Are the buttons in places that are convenient to you? Does it feel like it fits into your hand well?

Those are the things that have been running through my mind and that is why I am getting the GS4. I really do think you need to play with both to figure it out for yourself. Both phones are fantastic and for some people the HTC One is the right phone for them. I just decided the GS4 was the better phone for me.
    04-30-2013 07:58 PM
    AKA GS4 vs HTC One
    Battery : I don't plan to buy backup battery, so unable to remove the back is not a big deal, except if the battery of The One would be bad as hell in 2 years. I need at least 12 hrs autonomy.
    My opinion: just based on this criteria, I would recommend Galaxy S4. No need to think twice.

Osho
    04-30-2013 10:55 PM
    I think you've spent enough time reading reviews of the phones, 20 hours you said. I'd still keep an eye on bugs/issues/etc. But at this point, get into a store and try them out, feel them for yourself. If you have specific questions after that, ask. Then try the phones out again.

They are both wonderful devices.. Honestly, I think that this is the main problem, and personally, I'm very happy about this, having two incredible devices to choose from... the best problem I've ever had.

For me, as I've been back and forth between the two, my issues:
    Internal memory on the S4, I've estimated I need at least the 32gb model for apps, so I must wait.
    The One offers this already, but falls short in expandable memory for storage beyond apps.
    Currently I am at a lose lose on this. I need at least 16gb usable memory for apps, and 64gb for photos and audio.

Further:
    The screen on the One is better, the camera on the S4 is better. Both not by much over the other.

Camera: I need the higher resolution camera, printing, etc, for what I do. Most, however, don't. Specifically for you, concerning social media sharing, which you stated, I'm sure the One would suffice.

Screen: I can't remember the last time I watched a film on my phone. I check art house times on my phone, then watch on the silver screen.

Battery and Exapandable Storage: I want the option to replace the battery, and I need, as I stated above, to store large amounts of stills and audio on my phone, well beyond the ~25gb free on the One which does not have SD. Dropbox helps, but isn't feasible in all situations for me.

For me the S4 is the right device, I wish it had an lcd screen, as that is what I prefer, but the other benefits weigh heavier than lcd.

If AT&T doesn't release the 32gb S4 model soon, I guess I'll be back to app juggling, which may or may not be deal breaker, either way I certainly won't be happy.
    tarball likes this.
    04-30-2013 11:47 PM
    Thanks for your reponds
    05-01-2013 01:44 PM
    With similarly powerful phones like these it's so important to go have some personal time with an actual working phone: hold each, swipe through a few screens. You may find one of them clearly pleases you more than the other, and you have your choice!

If neither one still seems clearly more appealing, then I suggest using something similar to what are called "use cases" in project management: think of the most common tasks you'll be doing with your phone, and work through how you'd do it with each one and see which one has a more appealing work flow.

For example:

Use Case 1: I want to start the camera, switch to macro mode, and take a close-up photo

Use Case 2: I want to check my gmail account, search for an old e-mail with some person's name in it, and look through them

Use Case 3: I want to go into contacts, find someone's entry, and replace their picture with one I took from the camera

Come up with these kind of tasks you might think of yourself doing frequently, and try doing each one with each phone. You'll soon see TouchWiz has a certain way of doing things, and HTC Sense another. Check out the camera menus: Does one feel more friendly than the other? More complicated?

Be practical and actually try doing some "real life" tasks on each. It'll help you see which phone fits your way of doing things better, and that should really help make up your mind.

Either way I think you'll be thrilled: have fun and good luck! :-D
    05-01-2013 02:12 PM
    AKA GS4 vs HTC One

I'm posting this thread on HTC One and SG4 forums.

My current phone is an Blackberry Bold. This is provided by my employer. I am looking for a smartphone for my personal needs.
    Since the last 2 weeks I have spent at least 20 hours reading user and expert reviews. I am writing this post in order to have more users feedbacks ...

So, there is the key feature that is important to me...

First, i'm in Canada, and here the contract for mobile phone is 3 years. So i need a phone that won't be completely outdated in 3 years. I mean, I know it will be old, but I hope the phone will still perform well and not be too much scratched and damaged. It is metal vs plastic I guess.
    Being father of 2 beautiful girls, the camera is very important to me. I will take tons of pictures and share them on Facebook, Picasa...
    Facebook, Browsing the web... must be fast.
    Light and slim. My phone will be in my jeans pocket most of the time.
    Performance. Paying a smartphone over 600$ I expect to be as lag and bug free as much as possible.
    Features. I don't need all the features such as air-gesture and smart pause stuff, but definitly like to have many features that I could enable or disable at my conveniance.
    I would like to have something like Siri with voice command (I think Google now do it?).
    Storage: I don't NEED to have portable memory card. I will send pictures on Facebook or save it on my computer by USB.

Well.. that's pretty much what i have in mind.

Durable, professional looking, mature usage, great camera, great performance for browsing and facebook.

Thanks for giving your opinions based on my needs. Please let's be mature and polite.
    I always love this question because no answer anyone gives here is going to be worth anything once you've spent 5 minutes with each device. I think it's safe to say that I'm in the same boat as the reviewers who test these phones for a living as though I don't typically write about them, I do switch phones often and I've had a wide variety of them for the past 3 years. Almost in unanimous fashion, the tech world has crowned the HTC One the better phone. Almost every "smackdown" or "battle" has given the edge to the One and almost every review compares the two with the One eventually getting the nod. I've owned the One and it's a fantastic device, but for me, the S4 was a better choice. It wasn't anything anyone said to me that got me to exchange my One for the S4, but I had the ability to use them both and against everything everyone else was saying, I got the S4.

So even though I have the S4, I'm not saying that's the phone for you. I'm saying that a quick overview of each to make sure that hardware-wise they match up with what you need and a few minutes playing with each will give you everything you need to know to make a decision.

Either way you go, you're going to have a great phone.
    brianphrack and tarball like this.
    05-01-2013 02:16 PM