Light Flow on the Galaxy S4 - working properly for you?

andrewpmoore

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've just release version 3.7.0 of the app which adds an option to not use the accessibility service (with a more limited notification list). The list won't include quite a few popular apps but should offer more than another led controlling app without root ;-)

I'm glad to see samsung have confirmed this issue today (after a rather lengthy phone call to them today)

Here's what their developers forum shows from today:

Dear Developers,

Sorry for your incovenience.

We are aware of this issue and we will release a software update to address this issue soon.
But we hope you understand that the release date could be different for each carrier/country.

Samsung Developers.​

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
this accessibility bug is very annoying....it breaks the Gallery too. I even uninstalled TalkBack but it still reading things out loud

KnappyRootz

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've just release version 3.7.0 of the app which adds an option to not use the accessibility service (with a more limited notification list). The list won't include quite a few popular apps but should offer more than another led controlling app without root ;-)

This is excellent as I really like the app, however, just really need notifications for the basics (Gmail, SMS, MMS, missed call, low battery), thank you for the fix!

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Andrew I am running the latest version 3.7.1 on my SGS4-Att and the notification alerts that i set dont seem to function.
I have no idea what setting is off, either device or app driven setting.
Any guidance would be appreciated but I checked thoroughly and ensured that lightflow is enabled.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Newest ver. of LF is working just as good on my non-rooted S4 as it did with my rooted S3. The only thing I can't figue out is the LED blink rate. No matter what I pick the light blinks at the same, steady rate. Otherwise all is good.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrew I am running the latest version 3.7.1 on my SGS4-Att and the notification alerts that i set dont seem to function.
I have no idea what setting is off, either device or app driven setting.
Any guidance would be appreciated but I checked thoroughly and ensured that lightflow is enabled.

Not sure if this will help you as I don't know if you're rooted or not, but first make sure Settings/My Device/Accessibility/Services/Light Flow is enabled.

Next, these are my Light Flow settings that I've checked:
Enable Light Flow - Checked
Root Mode - Checked
Samsung Root Mode - Checked
Enable "Clear All" - Checked
Accessibility check - Checked
Version upgrade reminder - Checked

Nothing else in the general preferences is checked for me and everything is working well. If you are unrooted then I'm not sure what the best settings are.

Newest ver. of LF is working just as good on my non-rooted S4 as it did with my rooted S3. The only thing I can't figue out is the LED blink rate. No matter what I pick the light blinks at the same, steady rate. Otherwise all is good.

As your notification color did you pick a normal color or one of the flash/pulse ones? It seems if you pick, for example, "Blue slow flash", you're going to get a slow flash no matter what setting you choose in "LED flash rate". If you choose just "blue" though, you can then change the flash rate in the "LED flash rate" setting.

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will help you as I don't know if you're rooted or not, but first make sure Settings/My Device/Accessibility/Services/Light Flow is enabled.

Next, these are my Light Flow settings that I've checked:
Enable Light Flow - Checked
Root Mode - Checked
Samsung Root Mode - Checked
Enable "Clear All" - Checked
Accessibility check - Checked
Version upgrade reminder - Checked

Nothing else in the general preferences is checked for me and everything is working well. If you are unrooted then I'm not sure what the best settings are.

Hi Jeff
I am not rooted and have the settings you mentioned with the exception of rooted. I did a factory reset earlier today and will see if it works. Will post an update and thanks for providing input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean. Under NOTIFICATION COLOR in the LIGHT tab I have chosen blue, for example. In the same tab, for LED FLASH RATE, i have VERY FAST chosen. These are the exact same settings I used on my S3 and all worked. With the S4 changing the flash rate doesn't seem to affect the actual rate of flash. Not a deal breaker and I'm happy that it works, but I would like to see if I can correct that.

Thanks again.

As your notification color did you pick a normal color or one of the flash/pulse ones? It seems if you pick, for example, "Blue slow flash", you're going to get a slow flash no matter what setting you choose in "LED flash rate". If you choose just "blue" though, you can then change the flash rate in the "LED flash rate" setting.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean. Under NOTIFICATION COLOR in the LIGHT tab I have chosen blue, for example. In the same tab, for LED FLASH RATE, i have VERY FAST chosen. These are the exact same settings I used on my S3 and all worked. With the S4 changing the flash rate doesn't seem to affect the actual rate of flash. Not a deal breaker and I'm happy that it works, but I would like to see if I can correct that.

Thanks again.

If you scroll down through the LED colors available, there are some like "Blue slow flash" at the bottom. I'm not really sure why those are there - maybe Andrew can explain.

Last night I was changing a flash rate and trying to figure out which one was best and it was definitely working - using the test mode icon in the top right. I'm not sure why yours isn't working properly but I cycled through all available flash rate options and each one was different as expected. As I said above, I could not get them to work correctly when I had chosen "Blue slow flash" as my COLOR...I then changed it to just "Blue" and it worked...but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
2013-05-19 18.51.48.jpg2013-05-19 18.51.56.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm a bit more confused. I just double and triple checked through the LED colors available and there are no options other than just standard color names. I took a picture of my screen, both top and bottom of the color list.

If you scroll down through the LED colors available, there are some like "Blue slow flash" at the bottom. I'm not really sure why those are there - maybe Andrew can explain.

Last night I was changing a flash rate and trying to figure out which one was best and it was definitely working - using the test mode icon in the top right. I'm not sure why yours isn't working properly but I cycled through all available flash rate options and each one was different as expected. As I said above, I could not get them to work correctly when I had chosen "Blue slow flash" as my COLOR...I then changed it to just "Blue" and it worked...but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Light Flow is working perfectly for me since the update. Thanks Andrew!

Jeff
Can you advise on what carrier you have? After the reset that I did earlier my Light Flow doesn't work properly . I will confirm that it functions during the test sequences but after that it just runs on the background and doesn't function when my notifications go off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
m sorry but I'm a bit more confused. I just double and triple checked through the LED colors available and there are no options other than just standard color names. I took a picture of my screen, both top and bottom of the color list.

Not sure why I have these and you don't - hoping Andrew pops in and clears some things up. Are you on the latest 3.7.1? See attached.

Jeff
Can you advise on what carrier you have? After the reset that I did earlier my Light Flow doesn't work properly . I will confirm that it functions during the test sequences but after that it just runs on the background and doesn't function when my notifications go off

AT&T. I am not sure whether or not Light Flow is working properly for non rooted S4 users...

Attachments

• 2013-05-19 19.05.45.jpg
    2013-05-19 19.05.45.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 50

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I just checked and I am on 3.7.1. That is very interesting. I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if Andrew can shed some light. Thanks for the screen shot... never saw that before.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the latest info on Light Flow from the dev is here:

Galaxy S4

Galaxy S4
I can't get the app to work. Can you help?

Go into your phone settings->accessibility and switch off and back on lightflow in the list.
Go into your phone settings->led indicators and make sure ONLY "notifications" is checked.

Switch off your phone with the power button. Then switch it on again.
Go into lightflow -> general settings and make sure direct mode is off.
Then go into notifications -> missed calls.
Set the color to "red"
Set the flash speed to "fast"
Press "test"
Switch off your screen and wait 10 seconds.
Does the LED light up?

If not, try to power the phone off and back on again and try getting a real missed call as sometimes the test option is less reliable than the real notifications.

If it still doesn't work, try to disable and then re-enable the notification and repeat the test.

If that doesn't work, can you go into your phone settings, apps, choose lightflow and select "clear data" and see if that helps.

When I try to switch on the accessibility service the phone warns me that it's going to switch off features such as Air View, Air gesture and a few others. Why do these need to be switched off?
They don't, and most can be switched straight back on once light flow is installed. It's a bug in Samsung's accessibility service which causes this.

Help my browser and gallery apps have started speaking to me!
This is a samsung bug in their accessibility service and affects any app that uses it. It has been raised with them here: Forum | SAMSUNG Developers
Version 3.7.0 and above of Light Flow have an option to not use the accessibility service and run with a more restricted list of notifications that don't require this service.
I'm also working on a version of the app for Root users that should totally bypass using this service.

Now light flow is installed my gallery app and video app don't go full screen.
This is also due to the bug in the accessibility service. The app from 3.7.0 can be used without this service, but will run with a more limited list of notification types.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Bump. Andrew, I'm hoping you're working on more stability fixes and keep us updated here (and not just at XDA). I'm a big supporter (paid) for this app. It was a lifesaver on my GNex.

I had to disable expanded notifications (e.g., for Maildroid) because of the gallery/browser play-by-play voiceovers. I also have inconsistency in getting my LED to work for Voicemail. Missed call, GMail, Calendar alerts and MMS/SMS are working fine. As I won't root, I'm hoping for a workaround either through Samung fixing their accessibility bug or another workaround.

Update: Andrew, just read your post on the Samsung Developers forum dated May 21. Shame that we're on 6 months with no resolution.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
AquaLite - No LED with Screen On

On my non-rooted Verizon S4, I am only getting AquaMail LED notifications with the screen off.

I get sound notifications either way. If a notification comes in with the screen off, the LED starts blinking with the right speed and pretty much the right color. Turn the screen on, LED stops. Turn it off again, LED starts up.

Enabling Light Flow in the accessibility settings doesn't help.

I've tried different settings for Light Flow. Any suggestions?

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: AquaLite - No LED with Screen On

On my non-rooted Verizon S4, I am only getting AquaMail LED notifications with the screen off.

I get sound notifications either way. If a notification comes in with the screen off, the LED starts blinking with the right speed and pretty much the right color. Turn the screen on, LED stops. Turn it off again, LED starts up.

Enabling Light Flow in the accessibility settings doesn't help.

I've tried different settings for Light Flow. Any suggestions?

For those experiencing problems, go into app management and wipe all app settings (cache and data with force stop). Set up the app notifications clean from scratch. This has worked for me previously. You can also test the notifications from inside the app under Tools, but make sure your screen is off to see the colors cycle.

Posted via Android Central App

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: AquaLite - No LED with Screen On

Thanks for your reply.

You can also test the notifications from inside the app under Tools, but make sure your screen is off to see the colors cycle.
Does this mean that I should not expect the LED to flash when the screen is on? If so, it is working properly now.

For those experiencing problems, go into app management and wipe all app settings (cache and data with force stop). Set up the app notifications clean from scratch. This has worked for me previously.
Apologies for the newbie question, but where are the menu items to do this? Inside Light Flow / Settings or Tools?