I was pretty dead set on the Galaxy S4 on AT&T, well the carrier part is a definite as I am breaking my contracts with Verizon to get away from their iron grip (I know AT&T is no better, and no worse). So today the Optimus G Pro gets announced and I had looked at it briefly in the past when the rumors came along but dismissed it since I don't have much experience with LG on the Android side and what little I did hear was updates were not the best, but now I hear that has changed for the better.

So what got my attention was the fact that it had everything my GN2 had but more. 5.5" screen with 1080p, 32GB, microSD slot, 13MP camera, but no stylus but no biggie to me. Snap Dragon 600 processor at 1.7Ghz, but 4.1.2 so some on par with the GN2 and some on par with the S4.

I like the GN2 for reading web, email, games (the little I could) and of course the monster battery. So its logical to think a similar and in some cases better spec'd phone would be, well better. Given that the S4 32GB has been MIA, rumored to be launching this Friday (again rumored) I am at the crossroads of trying to decide between the Optimus G Pro and the S4. I was looking more from a software and features pro and cons between the two since I really can't consider any phone that doesn't allow for swappable batteries and microSD or a screen under 5". I like having a big phone to read on and maybe I don't need a tablet if I have a Phablet

So your thoughts are much appreciated and recommendations would be welcome.
    05-01-2013 09:07 PM
    A nicely spec'ed out phone for sure! When I first saw it I though it was a exact copy of the Note 2 and I still think that. I have a bit more respect for LG than before since they made my Nexus 4. I realize Google guided that process but they are the OEM. I for one love my s pen so no dice for me. I still think that OEM's need to have a sustained record of support and I do not think LG has that to my comfort level, at least not yet.

I know the Nitro got trashed on reviews and support and the Optimus G seems to have been better. I would hold out a bit longer for the 32GB S4 but that is easy for me to say, I am happy with my devices right now.
    05-01-2013 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the insight. I am holding out to see what the reviews are like and when the phone hits I will check it out at the store and look more closely at it. Given its lower price point I could buy it retail and ride it out to see what comes down the line. Of course if their track record of updates IS just improving I don't want to get caught with something that isn't something I can resell. Time will tell, I just need to get something for my trip next week. I guess a new tablet for the trip.
    05-02-2013 07:43 AM
    Thanks for the insight. I am holding out to see what the reviews are like and when the phone hits I will check it out at the store and look more closely at it. Given its lower price point I could buy it retail and ride it out to see what comes down the line. Of course if their track record of updates IS just improving I don't want to get caught with something that isn't something I can resell. Time will tell, I just need to get something for my trip next week. I guess a new tablet for the trip.
    Given it lower price point, I do not think it would be difficult to resell. I think it may do well for those who do not want to need the s pen features. I guess I have not been paying attention...when is it due to hit the market?
    05-02-2013 08:31 AM
    The Optimus G Pro looks like a solid device. I definitely like the size and the full HD screen. It is supposed to be really fast too. Would love to play with this device.
    05-02-2013 10:23 AM
    I have had LG Android phones in the past the thing I liked about them were solid Radio's

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk
    05-02-2013 11:02 AM
    Looking at this comparison, I think I would stick with the S4

Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 vs. LG Optimus G Pro - GSMArena.com
    05-02-2013 11:05 AM
    Looking at this comparison, I think I would stick with the S4

Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 vs. LG Optimus G Pro - GSMArena.com
    It looks pretty similar to me I guess if it does not sell 30 million phones and say Samsung on it it is junk

05-02-2013 11:19 AM
    Given it lower price point, I do not think it would be difficult to resell. I think it may do well for those who do not want to need the s pen features. I guess I have not been paying attention...when is it due to hit the market?
    Pre-Orders start on May 3rd (tomorrow) launches on May 10th and I get back from vacation that day. So I can hit up my local ATT store that weekend. Honestly I could pay retail for it, use it for a while and then get something else with my eligible upgrade since I am porting over to ATT anyways. For me getting the "best" device means all around usability not gee whiz stuff I won't turn on because it slows the phone down. I had the GS3 on Verizon and I noticed lag at times on it and chalked it up to imagination, but now I am seeing it could be TW that causes it and that makes me say maybe its time to consider options. I really like the GN2 size it was awesome and saved me from needing a tablet all the time, but it was a bit bulky as a phone at times when holding it.

So enter the OG Pro which reviewers have commented the slightly narrower design is easier to hold, S-Pen isn't a critical need and I could buy a stylus anyways. I hate buying a new phone and regretting it now that we only have 14 days to swap its risky.
    05-02-2013 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the link. I am a Sammy fan, but I really flow with lots of new toys I see GSM Arena has errors in their information, not surprising.
    05-02-2013 11:24 AM
    Pre-Orders start on May 3rd (tomorrow) launches on May 10th and I get back from vacation that day. So I can hit up my local ATT store that weekend. Honestly I could pay retail for it, use it for a while and then get something else with my eligible upgrade since I am porting over to ATT anyways. For me getting the "best" device means all around usability not gee whiz stuff I won't turn on because it slows the phone down. I had the GS3 on Verizon and I noticed lag at times on it and chalked it up to imagination, but now I am seeing it could be TW that causes it and that makes me say maybe its time to consider options. I really like the GN2 size it was awesome and saved me from needing a tablet all the time, but it was a bit bulky as a phone at times when holding it.

So enter the OG Pro which reviewers have commented the slightly narrower design is easier to hold, S-Pen isn't a critical need and I could buy a stylus anyways. I hate buying a new phone and regretting it now that we only have 14 days to swap its risky.
    If you decide for some reason not to get the g pro, you may want to pick up a Nexus 4 on a prepaid or t mobile without contract. You could pick one up pretty cheap to hold you over. I use one on the weekends mainly but am carrying it this week. It has really grown on me!

I can't remember what the LG skin is called but is or was a carbon copy of touch wiz a while back. I looked at the nitro when it came out and it was touch wiz to the fullest. Not sure if that is still the case.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    05-02-2013 11:27 AM
    Unless you have basketball palming hands, the LG phablet seems too big as a standard phone function device. I would rather keep my 32GB S3 than get that, even if the S4 32GB never releases. Of course, us VZW people do not have it as an option anyway. Perhaps neither.
    05-02-2013 11:36 AM
    It looks pretty similar to me I guess if it does not sell 30 million phones and say Samsung on it it is junk

Well I look at the little things
    - More features (Especially Camera)
    - Wider HSDPA Range
    - Gorilla glass
    - Better bluetooth

I am pretty picky lol thats just me
    05-02-2013 01:16 PM
    Well I look at the little things
    - More features (Especially Camera)
    - Wider HSDPA Range
    - Gorilla glass
    - Better bluetooth

I am pretty picky lol thats just me
    Their list is incomplete for the G pro, either out of ignorance or (more likely) the fact that they sit firmly in the Samsung supporter camp.

Everything you list, save perhaps a few of the camera features, the G pro has as well.
    05-02-2013 04:26 PM
    I was going to say, it is on par with the S4 (no 4.2.2, but is that a big deal) and above the GN2 in terms of specs. I need storage and I am not jumping in without weigh the options, but I can't rely on AT&T and/or Samsung to deliver on a 32GB S4 in 1,2,3 months down the road. I actually need a phone today WITH storage that won't run out if I add 1-2 high end games and the reaming apps I carry.

That said I have time to wait and will compare everything at one. I know the development community won't be nearly as big, but so long as I can get root then I would be fine.
    05-02-2013 08:43 PM
    Their list is incomplete for the G pro, either out of ignorance or (more likely) the fact that they sit firmly in the Samsung supporter camp.

Everything you list, save perhaps a few of the camera features, the G pro has as well.
    That could also be true
    Does the Optimus Pro have an IR Blaster?
    05-02-2013 08:45 PM
    I never use my phone for talking...well maybe 2% is for talking. Mostly I text, watch videos, game and surf.
    I'm kind of sick of carrying two devices around so for me the Gpro is everything I need.

My wife has the LG Nitro HD and she dropped it shattered the screen and the damn thing still works like a dream (after I put a screen protector on it)..
    05-02-2013 09:14 PM
    That could also be true
    Does the Optimus Pro have an IR Blaster?
    Yes.
    05-02-2013 09:34 PM
    Anyone else switching to the LG from the S4? I think I may prefer the larger screen.
    05-05-2013 03:47 PM
    watchon i think is the best IR TV app out of all. HTC didnt let me switch videos or control 2 separate things like sammy. and LG doesnt have a tv guide i heard.
    05-05-2013 04:01 PM
    watchon i think is the best IR TV app out of all. HTC didnt let me switch videos or control 2 separate things like sammy. and LG doesnt have a tv guide i heard.
    All of that is false. The HTC app is identical to Samsung's since its powered by Peel. You can control multiple devices, and it has an integrated guide.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2013 04:03 PM