NFC Contactless Payment UK

Kieren Perry

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Afternoon guys,

So the courier guy came along yesterday with my nice shiny new S4 and I have to say, I'm loving it mostly give or take a couple of things.

One thing I don't understand though is that Samsung supposedly made a deal with Visa to offer contactless payments, now this was supposedly global so can anyone tell me why there's no PayWave app available to me and not a hint of NFC payment functionality anywhere but the settings menu? It's something I was quite looking forward to since it would mean less wallet clutter and a faster payment process. Also whilst we're in the subject of NFC is it correct that the S4 won't read the 1k mifare tags? I tried it yesterday with one and it did say not supported which I find amazing as the majority of NFC tags out there are mifare 1k's. No bother anyway as I've ordered some ntag203's which should work just fine apparently!

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

J McDowall

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering about this too! I'm in NZ and we use Visa PayWave quite a lot now. Have you learned anything more since your original post?

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey I created a topic on this also at

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=273458

It is pretty disappointing but as far as I can tell so far is that the UK just doesn't have a wallet app available to us for some reason. We seem to be lagging behind with nfc

I think the deal enabled the phone to have inbuilt pay wave function but an actual wallet is needed Eg Google wallet for US

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Stephen Robinson

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had a play about on my girlfriend's phone. (the s4) and found some options under the nfc settings there was something about setting up a payment wallet. I didn't have a good luck at it but thought this may be of some use.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
It might be a case of that your bank hasn't set up the infrastructure yet. My bank [Halifax] told me just this, which is why I can't use my WP for payments.

Kieren Perry

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about the month late reply, I figured I'd get emails if someone posted! But no, sadly not, despite Samsungs promises the only NFC payment app currently available in the UK is the Orange Tap 'n' go app which is only available for certain phones. I've been trying out several workarounds but none have been successful yet.

Kieren Perry

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I did see this myself, having checked it out I think it's basically the option whether to use the SIM card as the NFC secure element or the phone? Correct me if I'm wrong...