Galaxy S4 easier to break than iPhone 5

gorwani12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
PARIS, May 1 ? A battery of tests show that while the latest Samsung flagship device has better internal specifications than the iPhone 5, it?s less likely to survive a fall.

Insurance company Square Trade tested the latest Samsung flagship to destruction alongside its predecessor the Galaxy S3 and its biggest rival, the iPhone 5, to see how it copes in the real world full of accidental slips, spills and drops, and the results show that with the exception of water resistance, the S4 plays second fiddle to both its predecessor and to the iPhone.

Each device was put through eight real-world tests and given a breakability score where a lower mark is better. The iPhone 5 scored 5, the Galaxy S3 6.5 and the S4 came last with 7. The tests included how easy the handset was to grip, how it coped when placed below weights and the all-important drop test.

?Our Breakability Score creates a new Richter Scale for accidental damage to help consumers assess when, where, and how their phones are in danger,? said Ty Shay, CMO at SquareTrade. ?It?s been two years since we created the first Drop Test video for the industry, and we thought it was time to expand the concept.?

The drop test is the most impresS4e and most expenS4e of the battery of tests. And while it makes for great viral viewing, the tests do have relevance. It?s very simple, and very inexpensive to compare smartphones via their specifications lists and, if that is the only criteria, then the latest Samsung Galaxy handset, which finally started rolling off the production line and into the hands of consumers this week, has very few, if any, competitors.

However, unlike Square Trade, most consumers do not have deep enough pockets or good enough insurance coverage to be able to see which handset will best fit their lifestyle and its inherent risks.

Source: The Malaysian Insider

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Drop tests have little to no credibility. It's impossible to tell where a phone will land when it falls, I could drop an S4 and it could possibly survive without a scratch. They should be taken with a big pile of salt.

Also, from what I've seen the iPhone isn't exactly hard to break either. I've personally seen more broken iPhone's than Samsung phones among my peers.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

rootgirl

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Drop tests have little to no credibility. It's impossible to tell where a phone will land when it falls, I could drop an S4 and it could possibly survive without a scratch. They should be taken with a big pile of salt.

Also, from what I've seen the iPhone isn't exactly hard to break either. I've personally seen more broken iPhone's than Samsung phones among my peers.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
That's why they do multiple drops and rig the phones so they are at the same angle. They can't achieve foolproof results with these methods, but they can generally say one is sturdier than another with extensive testing like this. I've seen several videos, and they all seem to have similar results.

As far as your experiences, do you think it is possible that it's because iPhones tends to be a little bit more popular? For example, at my workplace at least thirty people have iPhones, but only one has a Samsung Galaxy S3. No one has an S4 yet. Since these particular drop tests were between and S4 and an iPhone 5, it would be more fair to claim that the results are invalid if you know, say, 25 people with iPhone 5's and 25 with Samsung Galaxy S4's and had seen the opposite results in the real world. Otherwise, what you're saying just sounds like a hasty generalization.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Really who cares. Don't drop your phone. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
That's why they do multiple drops and rig the phones so they are at the same angle. They can't achieve foolproof results with these methods, but they can generally say one is sturdier than another with extensive testing like this. I've seen several videos, and they all seem to have similar results.

As far as your experiences, do you think it is possible that it's because iPhones tends to be a little bit more popular? For example, at my workplace at least thirty people have iPhones, but only one has a Samsung Galaxy S3. No one has an S4 yet. Since these particular drop tests were between and S4 and an iPhone 5, it would be more fair to claim that the results are invalid if you know, say, 25 people with iPhone 5's and 25 with Samsung Galaxy S4's and had seen the opposite results in the real world. Otherwise, what you're saying just sounds like a hasty generalization.

No this is real world observation. Sounds like you're putting too much faith in a drop test which no matter how many times you do will not guarantee one phone can survive a fall better than the other cause there is no way to predict how a phone will land when dropped. If I were to drop an iPhone 5 and an S4 at the same time there's a good chance the opposite to this test will happen.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084