11-11-2013 09:46 AM
90 1234
tools
    This may be off the subject, but consumers also want higher horsepower in automobiles when in fact they should be concerned instead with torque if they want a 'fast car'. But, give the consumer what he/she wants, right?
    05-21-2013 01:51 PM
    I agree the OS is big. But, I have all the original bloatware and about 40 downloaded programs on my S4 and I still have 8.24 GB left. I can't imagine downloading many more APPS and if I do I'll probably be replacing existing ones. I don't see the storage space with the 16 GB S4 as a problem. BTW, I put my photos and music on my 64 GB SD card. Having said all that, if the 32 GB phone had been available I would have gotten it. Just have to have the latest and greatest.
    Knowing how computing tends to work, I really wanted the 32gb model, but it wasn't clear if my carrier would ever have it, so I bit on the 16. Was a bit nervous about that.

First, there was about 9.6 gigs free---not the 8 I've seen reported-- and useable.

Then, I dl'd all my old apps, plus some things I couldn't deal with given my tiny HTC phone in the past, and reinstalled all of them.

At the end of the day, I have over 7 gigs free. Keep in mind, I'm not a new Android user. That's the result of my computing life for 2 1/2 years, installing everything I wanted and had. There seems to be plenty of head room. I do have a 64gb card, but that's largely media storage for me.

I'm still kinda shocked that I can't move apps to the card as I used to, but there doesn't seem to be any big issue so far. I doubt I'll have this more than 2 years, maybe 3 at most. Technology is changing so fast in this field! I think it'll be ok. NOT that I didn't want more space and I would've loved to have had it. Condolences to gamers, but I think most typical users will be fine.

I would note--on my old HTC, there were some apps--suspecting Facebook, G+, among others--that just seemed to eat up everything they were given.

I also note that there is no way to universally clear caches now! You apparently have to do it one at a time on JellyBean?
    05-26-2013 08:10 AM
    Sent from my SAMSUNG S4 using Android Central Forums
    05-26-2013 08:21 AM
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can clear your cash by holding the home button (not sure if Android users call it this, but I just switched from my iPhone 4 that was glitching up). Two things:

1. Close all I think closes all the apps you have open.

2. Go to "Task Manager", then RAM, and click on "clear memory". That I think is what you're talking about when you say clearing the cash, right?

My only gripe so far is that I don't see an option without paying Verizon for visual voicemail, like the iPhone has. That is stupid that Verizon is trying to eat every penny they can get. Also, I haven't run into the space problem with apps yet, but I don't game much on here since I leave that for consoles or my PC usually. However, I would like to move my music to the SD Card, and I've yet to figure out how to do that. I don't want to root my phone. :-/
    05-26-2013 11:05 AM
    Update: I figured out how to do the music, so don't worry about that. Also, I have downloaded pretty much all the apps I need, including games and I seem to have around 7gb free on the S4. As for those 1gb games, which would those be? I've never heard of such a game on a mobile device...
    05-26-2013 12:09 PM
    Update: I figured out how to do the music, so don't worry about that. Also, I have downloaded pretty much all the apps I need, including games and I seem to have around 7gb free on the S4. As for those 1gb games, which would those be? I've never heard of such a game on a mobile device...
    Any of the new high res games especially by Gameloft.

This one is 1.9gb.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bG9mdE4zSE0iXQ..
    05-26-2013 12:29 PM
    I saw this post by user 'cityw5' on the Sprint community forum (Sprint Community: Sprint says u can move apps to SD?)

These are supposed to be instructions from Sprint on how to move apps to the sdcard.
    __
    Over on the sprint facebook page, a sprint rep posted instructions to move apps to SD on the S4:

Here are the instructions: First select APPS>MY FILES> ALL FILES> SD CARD0> ANDROID> DATA> SELECT apps you want to move to SD card> tap the icon in the upper right hand corner next to the trash can (Icon is three horizontal lines)> select MOVE> EXT SD CARD> ANDROID> DATA> MOVE HERE and these are the steps on how you can move your applications to the external SD card. Let me know if this helps - Aron B.

Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work? Or does it at least move data to the SD card, because that could at least help with memory issues with the 8gb S4 (that's what I call it )
    __

Please let us know if this is allows the apps to be run from the sdcard or is just moving the apk's to the sdcard by making the app unrunnable.

Thanks.
    05-26-2013 12:40 PM
    I was under the impression that Google did away with the ability to natively move apps to sd in ics and they never brought it back.

With 16gb (or 32 when released) of storage why would you need to? Apps that have a large amount of game data ~300mb+ store their data on the sdcard anyway.

There's always the chance of your apps becoming corrupted as well if they are on the sdcard. I've had it happen on my opti s where installing them to the sdcard corrupted downloading them from the Play store. It also slows your sdcard down when your phone is preparing it for use.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-26-2013 12:50 PM
    Apps like Spotify take up a lot of space if you download songs for local storage. An apps are only increasing in size, especially games.

Posted via my HTC One
    05-26-2013 12:55 PM

2. Go to "Task Manager", then RAM, and click on "clear memory". That I think is what you're talking about when you say clearing the cash, right?

:-/
    No, that's clearing active memory. The cache represents stored files that programs acquire to help them run faster. Sometimes the accumulated cache is old, overly large and unnecessary. In particular, make sure in things like Google Play you turn caching off. It can eat up your entire card in an eyeblink.

--Re visual voicemail, T-Mobile offers this app for free.

I imagine you can do it with Google Voice for free and Verizon?

Apps like Spotify take up a lot of space if you download songs for local storage. An apps are only increasing in size, especially games.
    As alluded to above, Google Play does this, too---but you don't HAVE to store locally. If you do, the solution is an SD card. Store downloaded music on the card, play them locally. Most of my SD card is taken up by rips of my cd collection.
    05-27-2013 09:22 AM
    No, that's clearing active memory. The cache represents stored files that programs acquire to help them run faster. Sometimes the accumulated cache is old, overly large and unnecessary. In particular, make sure in things like Google Play you turn caching off. It can eat up your entire card in an eyeblink.
    Where do you turn off cashing for Play store? I don't see anything in Settings.
    05-27-2013 09:51 AM
    Not for Play Store, Play Music.

In Play Music, use your settings button, scroll down to DOWNLOADING and uncheck "cache during playback."
    05-29-2013 06:07 AM
    Hi everybody just sign up to post something I saw on another forum : "don't cry, samsung did this on purpose and it is a very good thing. You all are very very wrong and take the wrong conclusions. Did one of you actually put the main memory 16GB to the max and saw what happened after that??? Noooooooooo, just bashing on Samsung without knowing that if the main memory is full, it will automaitically store your data to the external SD card. The option to choose to put pictures, video and music right away on the external card is because you can take it out and use it in another device. Apps are mostly device specific. The main memory will also be the fastest to run data from it, so Samsung made the right decision to put everything on the main memory first

So crying babies, wipe your tears. Apps2SD is not a neccessity anymore, Samsung renovates stuff, so' don't cry if you have only 1 kb of your main memory left... run to buy a Sandisk micro Sd at your local store and you will be fine. You don't have to root your Sammy
    That mean after the internal memory is full all apps you download after that will go directly to sd card that mean good news .
    05-31-2013 06:41 PM
    how to put the main memory to the max?
    is that an option? or you mean to download what ever i want till the main memory become full then th phone will automaitically install apps and games on the SD card?
    new android user
    06-01-2013 05:26 AM
    In reply to justriaz,

Firstly, thank you for offering a solution to our internal storage concerns.
    I would ask that in the future you be more polite with your responses as android central and mobile nations in general have a strong community of both well informed and less informed members simply looking to get the most out of the devices we like or love and use each day. I myself just switch to android from ios and I love the articles, podcasts, and forum of this site so please help us keep the community respectful.

secondly, I tried your suggestion and did not find it to work. I filled my internal storage and then tried to download more apps but received a memory full message. The apps did not overflow to the sd card. are you certain this works? and if so is there perhaps a setting we need to change so the apps will overflow to the sd card
    monsieurms likes this.
    06-03-2013 08:54 AM
    Hi everybody just sign up to post something I saw on another forum : "don't cry, samsung did this on purpose and it is a very good thing. You all are very very wrong and take the wrong conclusions. Did one of you actually put the main memory 16GB to the max and saw what happened after that??? Noooooooooo, just bashing on Samsung without knowing that if the main memory is full, it will automaitically store your data to the external SD card. The option to choose to put pictures, video and music right away on the external card is because you can take it out and use it in another device. Apps are mostly device specific. The main memory will also be the fastest to run data from it, so Samsung made the right decision to put everything on the main memory first

So crying babies, wipe your tears. Apps2SD is not a neccessity anymore, Samsung renovates stuff, so' don't cry if you have only 1 kb of your main memory left... run to buy a Sandisk micro Sd at your local store and you will be fine. You don't have to root your Sammy
    That mean after the internal memory is full all apps you download after that will go directly to sd card that mean good news .
    Is this meant to be a sarcastic post sans the ?

There is only 8 to 9gb free for apps. Even if you put all media on the card that still means 8 to 9gb for apps. For a lot of people that is not enough since there are a lot of games and some social apps that take over 1.5gb each in the app storage.

BTW, the storage is lower for the user, since Android needs 500mb to 1gb free in order to update apps and avoid data crashes for larger cache driven apps- not 1kb.

Please respectfully stop with the high horse misdirection. The compliants about storage are legit. Especially for people that have no option to get larger storage models.
    mlacunza likes this.
    06-03-2013 09:36 AM
    I have to agree with you. My HTC Sensation is post ICS instal and the option to move apps to SD still exits and works lika it should. So whilst Google may have altered the defaults in the OS it seems manufacturers can override this if they choose to. Samsung clearly chooses not to.
    mlacunza likes this.
    06-03-2013 08:08 PM
    "I was under the impression that Google did away with the ability to natively move apps to sd in ics" The key word there is 'natively'. This just means it is up to manufacturers to include it in their phone firmware. My old HTC Sensation with ICS still has this feature.
    06-03-2013 08:12 PM
    This may be off the subject, but consumers also want higher horsepower in automobiles when in fact they should be concerned instead with torque if they want a 'fast car'. But, give the consumer what he/she wants, right?
    It is off topic. It's also incorrect. Torque relates to force. A automobile with high HP but relatively low torque will go fast but not have the "grunt" to tow a trailer. e.g. Subaru WRX. Very quick but couldn't pull the skin off a custard. To tow you need high torque which is why truck long ago moved to diesel.
    06-03-2013 08:18 PM
    "I was under the impression that Google did away with the ability to natively move apps to sd in ics" The key word there is 'natively'. This just means it is up to manufacturers to include it in their phone firmware. My old HTC Sensation with ICS still has this feature.
    That phone shipped with GB though. I think that makes a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-03-2013 08:19 PM
    Well obviously you don't use high accelerated graphic games in your S4 (apps having 1gb+ or more), some of us would like to utilize galaxy s4's beast of a specs. So Having a 64GB SD Card just won't do if you can't store data apps from games inside it.
    And you're playing games like that on a piddly 5" screen!!
    06-03-2013 08:21 PM
    I'd swear my unrooted GS3 launched from external SD card in ICS. It seems to me that the phone lost that feature in Jellybean.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.
    06-03-2013 08:54 PM
    And you're playing games like that on a piddly 5" screen!!
    Millions of DS and PSP models have smaller displays played happily by people and the Shield has the same size. I use a small game pad and works fine with the S3.

Why put the chipset in the device if no need to play such games? Much cheaper options if no fancy 3d is needed
    06-03-2013 09:35 PM
    I'd swear my unrooted GS3 launched from external SD card in ICS. It seems to me that the phone lost that feature in Jellybean.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.
    Nope. The last device I had that did was the Razr a year ago.
    06-03-2013 09:36 PM
    It is off topic. It's also incorrect. Torque relates to force. A automobile with high HP but relatively low torque will go fast but not have the "grunt" to tow a trailer. e.g. Subaru WRX. Very quick but couldn't pull the skin off a custard. To tow you need high torque which is why truck long ago moved to diesel.
    Wrong. My 4 cyl Outback will tow up to 2700lb. It has slightly more torque than hp and is pretty quick. My Civic Si has lower torque and thus is slower on takeoff than any awd Subaru with high torque. An automobile with 174hp/174tq will kill the same car with 174hp/132tq all day any day. Sorry, but you're simply incorrect. Once again, it's not your fault, it's a persistent misconception in consumer society just like the storage capacity issue in this thread. My point was ignorance of technical issues sometimes drives demand on certain products.
    06-04-2013 08:26 AM
90 1234