Cannot move apps to SD card with Samsung Galaxy S4

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the storage space with the 16 GB S4 as a problem. BTW, I put my photos and music on my 64 GB SD card.

Me too but then I'm not a gamer. Rather than blame Google and Samsung for not allowing Apps to be installed on an ext SD card perhaps the gamers should be complaining to the game developers. I would bet that 2/3rds of those games GB+ size is graphic overlays and other stuff that they could give you the option of installing to an ext card while putting the main core program on int memory. I?ve got a bird ID app--the app itself is in int mem but the multi-GB database installs to the ext card just fine. Even executable code could be stored in a subroutine library on the external card. Certainly no reason to build it as one giant app.

Solariis

May 8, 2013
Visit site
djrbliss hacked the AT&T S4 bootloader a few weeks ago and as of yesterday has now done the same for the new Verizon S4 bootloader. This means we will very likely have the ability to flash custom roms on the S4 within the next few days or by the end of this month. Once that happens, the possibilities are endless and issues like this one will be no longer!

See the huge thread here regarding the bootloader being unlocked here if you'd like:
Bootloader hacking details - xda-developers

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That will work for roots, but the majority will be stuck unless carriers release other options. Seems at this point it ain't happening though.

Most people do not root and really should not have to. They are paying for the device and service, so a fair perspective for people to have.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
This may be off the subject, but consumers also want higher horsepower in automobiles when in fact they should be concerned instead with torque if they want a 'fast car'. But, give the consumer what he/she wants, right? :)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree the OS is big. But, I have all the original bloatware and about 40 downloaded programs on my S4 and I still have 8.24 GB left. I can't imagine downloading many more APPS and if I do I'll probably be replacing existing ones. I don't see the storage space with the 16 GB S4 as a problem. BTW, I put my photos and music on my 64 GB SD card. Having said all that, if the 32 GB phone had been available I would have gotten it. Just have to have the latest and greatest.

Knowing how computing tends to work, I really wanted the 32gb model, but it wasn't clear if my carrier would ever have it, so I bit on the 16. Was a bit nervous about that.

First, there was about 9.6 gigs free---not the 8 I've seen reported-- and useable.

Then, I dl'd all my old apps, plus some things I couldn't deal with given my tiny HTC phone in the past, and reinstalled all of them.

At the end of the day, I have over 7 gigs free. Keep in mind, I'm not a new Android user. That's the result of my computing life for 2 1/2 years, installing everything I wanted and had. There seems to be plenty of head room. I do have a 64gb card, but that's largely media storage for me.

I'm still kinda shocked that I can't move apps to the card as I used to, but there doesn't seem to be any big issue so far. I doubt I'll have this more than 2 years, maybe 3 at most. Technology is changing so fast in this field! I think it'll be ok. NOT that I didn't want more space and I would've loved to have had it. Condolences to gamers, but I think most typical users will be fine.

I would note--on my old HTC, there were some apps--suspecting Facebook, G+, among others--that just seemed to eat up everything they were given.

I also note that there is no way to universally clear caches now! You apparently have to do it one at a time on JellyBean?

Vincent Thompson

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken, you can clear your cash by holding the home button (not sure if Android users call it this, but I just switched from my iPhone 4 that was glitching up). Two things:

1. Close all I think closes all the apps you have open.

2. Go to "Task Manager", then RAM, and click on "clear memory". That I think is what you're talking about when you say clearing the cash, right?

My only gripe so far is that I don't see an option without paying Verizon for visual voicemail, like the iPhone has. That is stupid that Verizon is trying to eat every penny they can get. Also, I haven't run into the space problem with apps yet, but I don't game much on here since I leave that for consoles or my PC usually. However, I would like to move my music to the SD Card, and I've yet to figure out how to do that. I don't want to root my phone. :-/

Vincent Thompson

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Update: I figured out how to do the music, so don't worry about that. Also, I have downloaded pretty much all the apps I need, including games and I seem to have around 7gb free on the S4. As for those 1gb games, which would those be? I've never heard of such a game on a mobile device...

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

dd_terry

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I saw this post by user 'cityw5' on the Sprint community forum (Sprint Community: Sprint says u can move apps to SD?)

These are supposed to be instructions from Sprint on how to move apps to the sdcard.
__
Over on the sprint facebook page, a sprint rep posted instructions to move apps to SD on the S4:

Here are the instructions: First select APPS>MY FILES> ALL FILES> SD CARD0> ANDROID> DATA> SELECT apps you want to move to SD card> tap the icon in the upper right hand corner next to the trash can (Icon is three horizontal lines)> select MOVE> EXT SD CARD> ANDROID> DATA> MOVE HERE and these are the steps on how you can move your applications to the external SD card. Let me know if this helps - Aron B.

Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work? Or does it at least move data to the SD card, because that could at least help with memory issues with the 8gb S4 (that's what I call it )
__

Please let us know if this is allows the apps to be run from the sdcard or is just moving the apk's to the sdcard by making the app unrunnable.

Thanks.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that Google did away with the ability to natively move apps to sd in ics and they never brought it back.

With 16gb (or 32 when released) of storage why would you need to? Apps that have a large amount of game data ~300mb+ store their data on the sdcard anyway.

There's always the chance of your apps becoming corrupted as well if they are on the sdcard. I've had it happen on my opti s where installing them to the sdcard corrupted downloading them from the Play store. It also slows your sdcard down when your phone is preparing it for use.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Apps like Spotify take up a lot of space if you download songs for local storage. An apps are only increasing in size, especially games.

Posted via my HTC One

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
2. Go to "Task Manager", then RAM, and click on "clear memory". That I think is what you're talking about when you say clearing the cash, right?

:-/

No, that's clearing active memory. The cache represents stored files that programs acquire to help them run faster. Sometimes the accumulated cache is old, overly large and unnecessary. In particular, make sure in things like Google Play you turn caching off. It can eat up your entire card in an eyeblink.

--Re visual voicemail, T-Mobile offers this app for free.

I imagine you can do it with Google Voice for free and Verizon?

Apps like Spotify take up a lot of space if you download songs for local storage. An apps are only increasing in size, especially games.

As alluded to above, Google Play does this, too---but you don't HAVE to store locally. If you do, the solution is an SD card. Store downloaded music on the card, play them locally. Most of my SD card is taken up by rips of my cd collection.

Bojamijams

May 14, 2013
Visit site
No, that's clearing active memory. The cache represents stored files that programs acquire to help them run faster. Sometimes the accumulated cache is old, overly large and unnecessary. In particular, make sure in things like Google Play you turn caching off. It can eat up your entire card in an eyeblink.

Where do you turn off cashing for Play store? I don't see anything in Settings.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Not for Play Store, Play Music.

In Play Music, use your settings button, scroll down to DOWNLOADING and uncheck "cache during playback."

justriaz

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody just sign up to post something I saw on another forum : "don't cry, samsung did this on purpose and it is a very good thing. You all are very very wrong and take the wrong conclusions. Did one of you actually put the main memory 16GB to the max and saw what happened after that??? Noooooooooo, just bashing on Samsung without knowing that if the main memory is full, it will automaitically store your data to the external SD card. The option to choose to put pictures, video and music right away on the external card is because you can take it out and use it in another device. Apps are mostly device specific. The main memory will also be the fastest to run data from it, so Samsung made the right decision to put everything on the main memory first

So crying babies, wipe your tears. Apps2SD is not a neccessity anymore, Samsung renovates stuff, so' don't cry if you have only 1 kb of your main memory left... run to buy a Sandisk micro Sd at your local store and you will be fine. You don't have to root your Sammy
That mean after the internal memory is full all apps you download after that will go directly to sd card that mean good news .

Mrkod

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
how to put the main memory to the max?
is that an option? or you mean to download what ever i want till the main memory become full then th phone will automaitically install apps and games on the SD card?
new android user:)

svitore

May 17, 2013
Visit site
In reply to justriaz,

Firstly, thank you for offering a solution to our internal storage concerns.
I would ask that in the future you be more polite with your responses as android central and mobile nations in general have a strong community of both well informed and less informed members simply looking to get the most out of the devices we like or love and use each day. I myself just switch to android from ios and I love the articles, podcasts, and forum of this site so please help us keep the community respectful.

secondly, I tried your suggestion and did not find it to work. I filled my internal storage and then tried to download more apps but received a memory full message. The apps did not overflow to the sd card. are you certain this works? and if so is there perhaps a setting we need to change so the apps will overflow to the sd card

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma