Cannot move apps to SD card with Samsung Galaxy S4

nkboy9

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I have been using Android phone for years. Previosly I owned a HTC Sensation XL.
I have no problem of moving the apps between internal phone memory & SD storage.
This week just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4. After installed some apps, i realised
there is no such option available to move the app from internal memory to SD card!
In my previousl HTC phone, go to settings > apps > select the app that i want to move >
move to SD card. Similarly doing the reverse will move the app from SD to internal storage.
But S4 seems not having such option. :(
pls help me.

thanks.

jpayne#AC

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason many of us are waiting for the 32G version of the S4...the not being able to move apps and the OS being so fricken huge on this puppy

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I have been using Android phone for years. Previosly I owned a HTC Sensation XL.
I have no problem of moving the apps between internal phone memory & SD storage.
This week just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4. After installed some apps, i realised
there is no such option available to move the app from internal memory to SD card!
In my previousl HTC phone, go to settings > apps > select the app that i want to move >
move to SD card. Similarly doing the reverse will move the app from SD to internal storage.
pls help me.

thanks.

This is not a Samsung thing, this is a Google thing, since Jelly Bean its not been possible without rooting.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all,
pls help me.

thanks.

This is not a Samsung thing, this is a Google thing, since Jelly Bean its not been possible without rooting.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It is not practical or stable even with rooting and even if you find an app it works with, you have to start from scratch to update the app in the market.

Stable apps2sd went away a few OS versions ago.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason many of us are waiting for the 32G version of the S4...the not being able to move apps and the OS being so fricken huge on this puppy

I agree the OS is big. But, I have all the original bloatware and about 40 downloaded programs on my S4 and I still have 8.24 GB left. I can't imagine downloading many more APPS and if I do I'll probably be replacing existing ones. I don't see the storage space with the 16 GB S4 as a problem. BTW, I put my photos and music on my 64 GB SD card. Having said all that, if the 32 GB phone had been available I would have gotten it. Just have to have the latest and greatest.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
pls help me.

thanks.

You're right.

Jaistah

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree the OS is big. But, I have all the original bloatware and about 40 downloaded programs on my S4 and I still have 8.24 GB left. I can't imagine downloading many more APPS and if I do I'll probably be replacing existing ones. I don't see the storage space with the 16 GB S4 as a problem. BTW, I put my photos and music on my 64 GB SD card. Having said all that, if the 32 GB phone had been available I would have gotten it. Just have to have the latest and greatest.

Well obviously you don't use high accelerated graphic games in your S4 (apps having 1gb+ or more), some of us would like to utilize galaxy s4's beast of a specs. So Having a 64GB SD Card just won't do if you can't store data apps from games inside it. :mad:

troutspinner

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I am in the same boat as you and within my 14 day return and see no reason to do it.

I am in the same boat as you and within my 14 day return but I see no reason to do it. I use the typical apps and store photos and music on the SD side. While I can appreciate the gamers point of view, the battery also has limitations and I do not view a phone as a high graphic gaming device. Of course, to each, their own and I'm happy with a 16.

Posted via Android Central App

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well obviously you don't use high accelerated graphic games in your S4 (apps having 1gb+ or more), some of us would like to utilize galaxy s4's beast of a specs. So Having a 64GB SD Card just won't do if you can't store data apps from games inside it. :mad:

Well "some of you" are lucky that the Galaxy S4 comes in 32 GB and 64 GB models AND an SD card up to 64GB.

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
this method is old and dated and it also clearly states that it will not work on the s3, so it will not work on any device after, the problem is that it is not samsung's fault here, it is a google issue, they removed the feature from all phones post ICS i think, there is ways around it apparently but i am not sure how to do it yet.

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
most places the s4 32gb version is not available, in the uk for instance it is not and probably will never be, wish they would just release at least 32gb as standard, dumping 16gb options from flagships.

Anish Rao B

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey... its the OS that has been developed in such a way that move to sd has been removed in samsung after ICS update... this option still works in previous versions of samsung... i dont know whose fault is it... but practically what i have seen is.. apart from SAMSUNG (After ICS update) you pick any phone from HTC, Sony, Micromax... in this even in its ICS or JB version.. move to sd is available... even that app "APP2SD" works...
I curiously bought a samsung galaxy S duos a month ago... i was seriously disappointed that the phone was useless for my type of usage without being able to move app to SD card... :'(

Sold it after confirming about it in All Samsung Stores... :'(
Am really Sad... First Smartphone of mine... I was dumped when i realised this fact... so anyone who want to buy a phone... jus confirm this part before u actually buy Galaxy series or Tablet... When i had been to Samsung SHowroom.. there were 2 other customers who were disappointed with this.. one one had galaxy Grand, other had galaxy S3... asking about same mater.. they gave us all the same answer.. others i think its ok because u have internal capacity... but mine was too low 1.7GB.. so beware!!!

Day 2 Day Experiences: Samsung Galaxy Grand | JellyBeans | Unable to move apps to SD CARD

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahh3d5IhYhqzdFJOVXJzQ0tRek5rUk5CX3BxLU1BMVE#gid=0 check this out

this method is old and dated and it also clearly states that it will not work on the s3, so it will not work on any device after, the problem is that it is not samsung's fault here, it is a google issue, they removed the feature from all phones post ICS i think, there is ways around it apparently but i am not sure how to do it yet.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been using "App Backup and Restore", I had jellybean on my s3 and was able to restore all my apps back on my s4 using this app and my sd card. Its great. What I really like is if I update an app and don't like it, I can always restore the older version using this app. Been a lifesaver. I am not rooted.

gamebird

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually it's been since ice cream sandwich...hoping for a change with key lime pie as OS's and apps get bigger and bigger

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping the prevent SD card usage entirely in favor if much larger internal storage. Looking forward to 256 or 512GB devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
....................... I blame these threads on carriers and Samsung for propagating this in the first place. Not good cricket.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Follow this link ! "http://www.jayceooi.com/2013/05/19/how-to-move-galaxy-s4-apps-games-data-to-external-sd-card/"

To me, this is not a viable solution. There should be no need to move apps to anything. There should be enough internal storage so that people don't have to ask how to move apps to an external card. THAT is the only solution to this problem... although it's only a problem due to the blatant lie about storage space on the 16GB model and ignorant, lazy employees at the carrier stores. If they are not lazy, ignorant and incompetent, then they are lying to customers, which is even worse. The question of why would anyone need more than 16GB has been answered by many unhappy consumers who are not technologically savvy, nor should they have to be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463