Cannot move apps to SD card with Samsung Galaxy S4

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Where do you see that info?

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S4 usando Tapatalk 2

I'm wondering the same thing. You know what they say about rumors...

Actually that's not possible, for that reason Samsung is releasing the patch

Yeah I hope I'm wrong but apparently the update is out in certain markets.

This is a video where I heard about the 50mb limit. Right around the 5min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmDqyYgBm7Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GL to SD video review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhj9pGbnUY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

By the way I tried GL to SD as in this video. It's not bad but Foldermount is much better. I have over 5gb free space on my phone where I would at this point have less than 500mb free with all the games I have installed. Every single thing I moved to sd worked flawlessly with a class 10 UHS1 microsd.

GL to SD would not find certain apps to move to SD. With Foldermount it let's you navigate to what directories you want to move to the external. This includes the maps directory that NDrive uses taking up 2.5gb for device based navigation for US maps. And it seems like apps are properly updating as well. I will report back to confirm for sure, but I already saw Real Racing 3D download it's game files into the mounted folder on SD. I couldn't be happier.

If you look at this screenshot I think what I have installed already surpasses the available storage on my device lol. But that is because the device obviously sees the mounted directories as internal.

uploadfromtaptalk1371205260292.jpg

I even moved the Google Maps directory over and it works perfectly fine.

uploadfromtaptalk1371205467933.jpg

There are a couple other directories I am considering moving to SD, such as the picture directories the phone refuses to use on SD by default, like pictures taken with the front camera. But i think with 5gb free space I'll hold off.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Last edited:

mlacunza

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes ,I know others options too, but the problem is all of these need to be used in a rooted phone, at least in my country I can't do that because I can lost the guaranty, so I need wait for the Samsung solution and my phone company to release the upgrade :banghead:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just found out that the Samsung update with only allow you to move apps up to 50mb in size. FAIL.

It could be the weighted average estimate of installed apk file size. Some are a few megs and some are almost 100 (though rarer now, since most apps above 50mb go the small apk, large data file route).

That said, 50 seems too high for an average. I have over 400 apps in my S3 and not many per ESExplorer are above 50 for the apk. Older apps appear to be the ones that are.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes ,I know others options too, but the problem is all of these need to be used in a rooted phone, at least in my country I can't do that because I can lost the guaranty, so I need wait for the Samsung solution and my phone company to release the upgrade :banghead:

It's the same on every carrier pretty much I'm sure. The phone can be unrooted if you need to take the phone in for repair and not worry about your warranty.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
this facility is now available with the new update. I've updated my S4 successfully yesterday.. I love my S4 now.. wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Please clarify if there are any limits on app size with this update. Does it allow app data on SD? Does it allow the apk (the app itself) on sd or both?

Ashwani_M

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Please clarify if there are any limits on app size with this update. Does it allow app data on SD? Does it allow the apk (the app itself) on sd or both?

I don't think there is any limit as I've transferred NFS of size 1.6 GB and it's working fine..And as soon as you transfer app to SD card, all app data automatically goes to SD and voila.. your device space is free.. :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with you. My HTC Sensation is post ICS instal and the option to move apps to SD still exits and works lika it should. So whilst Google may have altered the defaults in the OS it seems manufacturers can override this if they choose to. Samsung clearly chooses not to.

Android team took additional steps to make it more of a pain in JB (for unrooted resources). Depending how the install script was done for the app, I could move GTA with the old official apps 2 SD method as well as other big data games. The new Samsung fix is just the APK file, so instead of 1.3gb being moved, it is about 4mb. Same for most games with data files- small apk files and large data files. This fix only helps much for people that do not have many large data file apps.

mlacunza

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure?I read in others forums about the Samsung fix make the things like it was before, so you can move the most part of the app into the sd

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Only going by people that have already tried the update. Only the apk file moves and need root to move data.

Just watched a video where the presenter moved GTA III Ten Year Anniversary APPto the SD card in an S4 with the new update:
BEFORE (APP on internal memory) AFTER (APP on SD card)
Total 1.23 GB..............................................1.23 GB
Application 15.95 MB...................................708 KB
SD card app 1.21 GB.................................1.23 GB
Data 16 KB....................................................16 KB
SD card data 636 KB..................................636 KB

Looks like quite a bit of data was moved.

Move Apps to SD Card on Samsung Galaxy S4 after XXUBMEA Firmware Update - YouTube

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Just watched a video where the presenter moved GTA III Ten Year Anniversary APPto the SD card in an S4 with the new update:
BEFORE (APP on internal memory) After (APP on SD card)
Total 1.23 GB................................ 1.23 GB
Application 15.95 MB................................. 708 KB
SD card app 1.21 GB................................. 1.23 GB
Data 16 KB................................ 16 KB
SD card data 636 KB................................. 636 KB

Confused me there bud, so the huge data portion was moved to the sd card? :confused:

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Confused me there bud, so the huge data portion was moved to the sd card? :confused:

Sorry, I was editing that post to get the numbers to line up.

I'm not sure. The after column is actually what is on the SD card. It seems to me that the entire 1.23 MB app is now on the SD card and 708 KB of 15.95 MB of Application data(?) was moved. It also looks like all of the 16 KB of data was moved. We need an expert to explain it fully.(and that ain't me)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I was editing that post to get the numbers to line up.

I'm not sure. The after column is actually what is on the SD card. It seems to me that the entire 1.23 MB app is now on the SD card and 708 KB of 15.95 MB of Application data(?) was moved. It also looks like all of the 16 KB of data was moved. We need an expert to explain it fully.(and that ain't me)

Saw the video and looked like he did move the entire(most of it anyways) to the Sd card. This is friggin sweet because I'll be using my trusty dusty Class 10 32Gb Samsung sd card. Which'll be more than enough space for all my pictures; vids; music; and games. Wooh! :thumbup:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
BEFORE (APP on internal memory) AFTER (APP on SD card)
Total 1.23 GB..............................................1.23 GB
Application 15.95 MB...................................708 KB
SD card app 1.21 GB.................................1.23 GB
Data 16 KB....................................................16 KB
SD card data 636 KB..................................636 KB

Looks like quite a bit of data was moved.

Move Apps to SD Card on Samsung Galaxy S4 after XXUBMEA Firmware Update - YouTube

So the other posters stating that only the apk is incorrect? That would make sense if the previous official method, since GTA did move data with the previous method. Some apps did not, but do not recall which ones. Back then, Gameloft games were not in the market, but on their site, so I never bought one then.

Mihai Blaga

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Works like a charm with S4 16Gb, it was an OS limitation, the phone works fine on android 4.2.2, but my note 10.1 running 4.1.2 dosen work, I ahave to wait for an upgrade.
besides you can nerver move the entire program, only some files will be moved.

paulwall8742

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Question!?

If I upgrade to the S4 today from my Verizion Droid Charge, as far as I know my external SD card is good...I havent had anything pop up about it. admittedly I havent used my external SD card much. as the Droid Charge is the first smartphone ive owned I guess im not as App Savvy as other people.

when I last checked I had 26 apps on my Charge (Facebook, Youtube, Pandora, Netflix, Banking apps, misc.) they all fit comfortably on the 2GB internal phone memory of my Charge. (I saw the S 4 comes with 16 GB internal but its only about 8-10GBs free...and people are complaining about app space...when that is like 2-3Xs the space I have now.)

If I put the SD card with the apps stored on them into a Galaxy S 4 would the S4 let me access the apps? (in essence by passing the S4's inability to store apps on the SD card by preloading (so to speak) moving the apps I want to keep from my droid charve internal memory onto the. SDCard prior to loading it into the S4?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci