Severe Lag with Messaging on the S4

kliqzero

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, first off I'm new to the boards and new to Android. I saw others were having this problem in various threads but they kept getting highjacked by HTC ONE VS S4 debates. I don't really care for that, I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing huge lag when it comes to using the stock messaging app on the S4? I will admit that I did import roughly 10,000 text messages from my iPhone, but that's still no excuse for a phone that boasts this much power to be lagging constantly when trying to text. And if often ends up freezing or becoming unresponsive. I've already factory reset it twice, disabled all extra stuff I'm not using and killed all other apps but still am experiencing this problem.

Anyone else having this issue and have they found a fix? Also, is it possible my S4 is just faulty?

Thanks

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No issues here when I was using it.

But I prefer using Chomp and it's features, so I have switched from stock to Chomp for all messaging.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Try deleting some of those messages sir

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
p.s.

Why would anyone need to keep 10,000 text messages??? My message box is pretty much cleared out weekly.

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife's s4 is doing the same thing since day one. Message app force closes and its getting ridiculous. We took it to sprint and he did some magical code thing but it didn't work. Other apps are force closing also. This after a factory reset. I'm going back today for a new phone.

kliqzero

May 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife's s4 is doing the same thing since day one. Message app force closes and its getting ridiculous. We took it to sprint and he did some magical code thing but it didn't work. Other apps are force closing also. This after a factory reset. I'm going back today for a new phone.

Exactly the problem I'm having. I don't want to quit this phone just yet, but my friend who owns an HTC One swears his phone is handling everything smooth. Either way, it wouldn't be out of the question that the S4 I have is just faulty, which is a bummer but if they can replace it and give me a better one I wouldn't be too opposed.

Megamontona

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
yes i was was having the same problem i had to do a backup and do a factory reset but i did import my old text messages that seemed to fix the problem

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you just use a different SMS app? Messaging was a little jerky for me as well (I keep all of my text messages also). I use GoSMS, and there's no lag whatsoever.

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
That's pretty sad that in 2013 I would have to use a different app. As powerful as this phone is, there should be absolutely no lag anywhere on this phone and I should be able to use any stock app on the phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Try deleting some of those messages sir

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

p.s.

Why would anyone need to keep 10,000 text messages??? My message box is pretty much cleared out weekly.

That doesn't really help the OP. Obviously they want to keep the messages or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of transferring them over.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
You need to save/export some of your 10,000 text messages to your sd card or back them up to your computer. I dont get why you want 10,000 text messages on your phone... but whatever.

I found many google links about iPhone users having the same issue. Pack ratting anything will slow down any phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
10k texts? Does it need to be saved for business or just the heck of it? :eek:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
OP:
To be honest, Samsung probably never tested out their messaging app with 10k texts. My messaging app is working fine, but then again I have like 30 threads max. Software probably not optimized to hold that many.

I would expect things to work out of the box as well. However, 10k texts is a little extreme, and I would understand (if I had that many) that another app would have to be used.
Like others said, try GoSMS, ChompSMS, or HandcentSMS. Remember to turn off notifications for the original messaging app and you'll be golden!
Try it out and let us know if it works. At least we can narrow down the problem to the Touchwiz messaging app.

Does your friend also have 10k messages on his One? o_o

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an s4 but my at&t note 2 has immense issues with texting. I have tried every third party app and they all Suck. It blows my mind that phones of such capabilities have so much trouble with texting.

The only thing that will make your messaging better is to keep a few texts stored on the device as possible. It sucks, but that is the reality of it.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Surprised at the amount of S4 apologists in here. If the device is failing, just so you know guys...it could be the phones fault: Samsung software, Android software or very slight possibility hardware. If the iPhone can do it with no problems, Samsung has no excuse...I mean, the S4 is better, right?

OP, the first step in actually figuring out your problem is trying an alternate messaging app, like Chomp or Handcent. If that doesn't fix it, finding someone on the Nexus 4 or Galaxy Nexus forums that have that many texts should be your next step. That will narrow down whether this is a Samsung issue or an Android issue.

Stop attacking OP's and saying their issue is how they choose to use the phone. In this case, the phone is obviously under-performing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol