Severe Lag with Messaging on the S4

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Surprised at the amount of S4 apologists in here. If the device is failing, just so you know guys...it could be the phones fault: Samsung software, Android software or very slight possibility hardware. If the iPhone can do it with no problems, Samsung has no excuse...I mean, the S4 is better, right?

OP, the first step in actually figuring out your problem is trying an alternate messaging app, like Chomp or Handcent. If that doesn't fix it, finding someone on the Nexus 4 or Galaxy Nexus forums that have that many texts should be your next step. That will narrow down whether this is a Samsung issue or an Android issue.

Stop attacking OP's and saying their issue is how they choose to use the phone. In this case, the phone is obviously under-performing.

My phone has 100,000 pictures on the sd card.... why does it take so long for the gallery app to load? Something MUST be wrong with the phone right?

Posted via Android Central App

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone has 100,000 pictures on the sd card.... why does it take so long for the gallery app to load? Something MUST be wrong with the phone right?
Depends, how long does it take on a Nexus device? How long does it take on an iPhone?

If you install QuickPic, I bet you anything it loads faster than the default Samsung gallery....so yeah...Samsung software sucks. Next.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, first off I'm new to the boards and new to Android. I saw others were having this problem in various threads but they kept getting highjacked by HTC ONE VS S4 debates. I don't really care for that, I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing huge lag when it comes to using the stock messaging app on the S4? I will admit that I did import roughly 10,000 text messages from my iPhone, but that's still no excuse for a phone that boasts this much power to be lagging constantly when trying to text. And if often ends up freezing or becoming unresponsive. I've already factory reset it twice, disabled all extra stuff I'm not using and killed all other apps but still am experiencing this problem.

Anyone else having this issue and have they found a fix? Also, is it possible my S4 is just faulty?

Thanks

Would you please tell us how you transferred over 10,000 text messages to your S4 from an iPhone?

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Surprised at the amount of S4 apologists in here. If the device is failing, just so you know guys...it could be the phones fault: Samsung software, Android software or very slight possibility hardware. If the iPhone can do it with no problems, Samsung has no excuse...I mean, the S4 is better, right?

OP, the first step in actually figuring out your problem is trying an alternate messaging app, like Chomp or Handcent. If that doesn't fix it, finding someone on the Nexus 4 or Galaxy Nexus forums that have that many texts should be your next step. That will narrow down whether this is a Samsung issue or an Android issue.

Stop attacking OP's and saying their issue is how they choose to use the phone. In this case, the phone is obviously under-performing.

Well yeah, Samsung software sucks.

But the Gallery app is plenty fast.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I think you missed the sarcasm.
I didn't. The problem is all the owner-apologists out there. Every device has shortcomings, not discussing & pretending they don't exist isn't helpful. Even if what someone is doing is outside of someone else's view of 'normal,' it doesn't matter. If device A can do it better than device B, the problem is not the user.

EckonoJ

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone to the galaxy s4, and that's one area where the galaxy can't compete in my opinion is entering texts. I make so many mistakes due to the lag when typing. I've had a few other Android phones and this has been the case with all of them. I Def hope this problem gets better.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone to the galaxy s4, and that's one area where the galaxy can't compete in my opinion is entering texts. I make so many mistakes due to the lag when typing. I've had a few other Android phones and this has been the case with all of them. I Def hope this problem gets better.
Try this or this.

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
For those experiencing lag while typing, are you keeping the vibrate and sound on while typing? The keyboard absolutely flies after you turn that off. And I dont think saying that keeping 10000 text messages on your phone is a bit too many makes you an apologist for the s4. The messaging apps for the iphone and s4 are just different. One is built to handle that volume and one isnt.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't. The problem is all the owner-apologists out there. Every device has shortcomings, not discussing & pretending they don't exist isn't helpful. Even if what someone is doing is outside of someone else's view of 'normal,' it doesn't matter. If device A can do it better than device B, the problem is not the user.

It seems to me your initial response has more to do with your dislike for Samsung phones/owners rather than providing useful information. Say someone goes to a Chevrolet forum and complains that his Impala is a piece of junk because it rides so harshly and he goes on to say he keeps 60 lbs of air in each tire. The Chevy forum members would hardly be Chevrolet apologists if they pointed out that the excessive tire pressure could be the cause of his problem. It is the obvious place to start. Occam's razor is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness used in logic and problem-solving. It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected. The OP storing 10,000 text messages on his phone would be the the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions. The people you call Samsung apologists are just logical thinkers.

Bojamijams

May 14, 2013
Visit site
That is exactly what he's talking about it and you're one of those apologists. There is no reason a 2013 phone with almost 2ghz speeds and 2gb of ram can't handle 10k of text messages smoothly when a most likely 2012 phone with closer to 1ghz speeds and 1gb ram (or less) can handle it just fine.

Its either an Android OS fail or a samsung fail. Either way, pretending that its not an issue is not helpful.

For those experiencing lag while typing, are you keeping the vibrate and sound on while typing? The keyboard absolutely flies after you turn that off. And I dont think saying that keeping 10000 text messages on your phone is a bit too many makes you an apologist for the s4. The messaging apps for the iphone and s4 are just different. One is built to handle that volume and one isnt.

scienceyay

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know this as well, but for transferring from an android smartphone. How do you transfer the messages from your old phone to your new one?

I used easyphone sync Home it works really well but expect it to be a little slow if you transfer a lot. It asks you if you want to transfer all of your music (you can say no to this section if you have already managed this another way), then asks you if you want to use an iphone backup to transfer texts, calendar, notes etc.

I also have a lag in my messaging system and had to download GoSMS which seems to have solved the issue. I can't even delete the texts off my phone in bulk as it crashes the whole thing everytime I try. I've posted in another thread here asking where the directory for the text messages is, as i can't find it and think that deleting it from here might help.

If you want to store that many text messages (I have 25,000!!!! because i've had an iphone since 2006 and never bothered deleting at each upgrade) you can use SMS Backup:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ckupRestore&feature=nav_result&token=oyJJyUzj..

and backup the text messages to your SD card. From there you can restore or read them using the app. Hope this helps!

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I transferred my iphone texts over when I got my s4, it had over 80k texts in it because I never deleted em on my iphone because well.. I didn't have to, it still ran smoothly 100%. Now that I have them on my s4 it's taking forever to even delete em, everything on the phone lags whenever I even open a text. Definitely an android software issue, it's a shame but hopefully it gets fixed eventually

Sky Manatee

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I use the gs4 too. I had just under 18000 mugs and I had terrible lag with messaging. I also had a picture background and everything. Downloaded chomp and it works great. Then downloaded the SMS backup from the link and it works great as well. Deleted all the messages and no more lag. Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36