07-18-2017 07:14 PM
192 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I think I've found the issue on this one, for me at least.

I had this problem today. Noticed last night that it was indicating charging (RED LED was on) but it was at 42% for hours. I rebooted it before bed and figured that would probably do the trick. Woke up to 42% again. Then I googled and came here.

This morning I tried another USB cable. No Joy. Then I tried another Samsung charger that I hadn't used much. That didn't work either BUT I was using my original cable. I tried a new charger and a new cable and *poof* it started to charge and increase the battery percentage.

I also downloaded the battery widget. I notice on my S4, it only indicates 1mA or 0mA when the good or bad charger is connected. But I've seen the % go up 10 points and it's only reporting 1mA, so I'm pretty sure the current display is not accurate, but it does seem to be a yay/nay indicator of if the battery is getting some juice.

I recommend changing to an aftermarket charger and get a good USB cable. Seems to have worked for me. Sitting at 52% now and still looking good. Hopefully in the next 30 mins or so I get to the 90s.
    07-02-2013 10:57 AM
    I think I've found the issue on this one, for me at least.

I had this problem today. Noticed last night that it was indicating charging (RED LED was on) but it was at 42% for hours. I rebooted it before bed and figured that would probably do the trick. Woke up to 42% again. Then I googled and came here.

This morning I tried another USB cable. No Joy. Then I tried another Samsung charger that I hadn't used much. That didn't work either BUT I was using my original cable. I tried a new charger and a new cable and *poof* it started to charge and increase the battery percentage.

I also downloaded the battery widget. I notice on my S4, it only indicates 1mA or 0mA when the good or bad charger is connected. But I've seen the % go up 10 points and it's only reporting 1mA, so I'm pretty sure the current display is not accurate, but it does seem to be a yay/nay indicator of if the battery is getting some juice.

I recommend changing to an aftermarket charger and get a good USB cable. Seems to have worked for me. Sitting at 52% now and still looking good. Hopefully in the next 30 mins or so I get to the 90s.
    The battery widget does the same thing for me, either 0mah or 1mah.... I don't understand. I'm using the Samsung cable...

Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk
    Formerly "Evo_girl"
    07-03-2013 07:30 AM
    Ok had the same issue
    it may sound gross but i pulled the battery out
    licked the metal part twice and put it back in

it was charging after it
    07-03-2013 03:07 PM
    My wife's Galaxy S4 is having the same issue. If she lets it decharge to the point the warning shows, the phone won't charge. It isn't the battery because I just swap her batteries and my phone will charge it. Which is just awesome since she usually doesn't charge it in time so my phone always ends up with a dead battery to charge 1/2 way through the day. I'm going to be taking the phone into US Cellular in the next couple days to see if they'll replace it.
    07-04-2013 06:14 AM
    any updates on what the issue can be?

for those having the issue, are you using the included charger and cable? I find that any other charger or cable doesn't work well with it
    07-06-2013 10:20 AM
    I found it charges VERY SLOWLY when connected to a computer. Try an actual outlet.
    I've noticed that as well, but mine also charges slowly in a wall outlet as well.
    07-06-2013 10:28 AM
    I think I found my problem thanks to a post about the USB cord being different from others. I proceeded to inspect mine and realized a pin is missing from the end that plugs into the phone. It appears the stock Samsung cord is inferior. I replaced it with one I had from a previous device plugged into the charger that came with the phone and it is working just fine.
    My Samsung Galaxy Nexus' charger USB cable has all the pins, but the S4's is missing one. Wonder if this is why it takes such a long time to charge.

I also wonder if I can use my Nexus' cable on my S4?
    07-06-2013 10:37 AM
    In tongue trash it goes.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Got to love autocorrect sometimes!
    vasekvi likes this.
    07-06-2013 10:46 AM
    THIS SUCKS!!!
    Same issue as you all with the phone not charging and the vibrations every 10 seconds and not letting you use the phone event while it's plugged which wasn't happening before.
    Only had phone for 3 weeks.
    I notice that when I take it off the charger, it will then turn on.
    The battery dies fast though.
    If you're not too phone savvy and you have insurance on it, take it to your service provider and have them fix the problem.
    SUPER INCONVENIENT! BOOOOO
    07-08-2013 12:37 PM
    it is oxidation inside the usb port, use isopropyl and a toothbrush, then use a small flathead screwdriver or a knife to gently scrape the connectors, make sure to take out the battery first
    07-08-2013 06:46 PM
    what my brother means is what i showed him. This is an observation i made and after doing some research this is what i figured out. I BELIEVE IF YOU ALL READ THIS YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED BECAUSE IT SOLVED MY PROBLEM WHICH WAS EXACTLY IDENTICAL TO ALL OF YOURS.

if you look at the small micro b usb side of the charger you will see in the one that you got with the phone the 2nd metal pin from the right is missing. its technically the 4th pin the unlabled one in this image. http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2...SB1.png?3995d3 . This is because by specification its not needed look here. http://image.pinout.net/pinout_USB_f...usb_pinout.jpg. this is a mistake some wall chargers cross there wires to be backwards to prevent the phone from detecting it as a computer. actually most chargers do this. but this means the negative data wire is lost and in a charging mode where its not a computer for the full amperage to come over the wire the amps are split over the data wires now allowing nearly double the original usb spec of amps. this is how they get 2 amps of power over the wire by sending it over the data pins instead of the one dedicated 5volt pin. but when the charger makes its self backwards to do it but they leave out the 4th pin in the end they leave out 1 of the 2 charging pins causing you to get half or less then that of an amp. making it impossible to charge your phone. The s4 needs 2 amps to charge while running. so some of you saying you got a whole new charger and saying it does not work i am going to assume even if i has 5 pins it probably does not put out more then 1 amp by specs anyways. you need a wall charger that puts out 2 amps and then a 5 pin wire samsung gave you a good charger you just need to get the wire. getting another charger is probably confusing the issue. Samsung should have noticed this and should change out the wires.This should be fixed by samsung unfortunately they are probably buying the charger and wires from some oem company or maybe even the two objects from two seperate oem companies in china who is not following protocol and not paying attention to each others spec and when one tries to be cheap and cut corners it causes this to happen. not sure how samsung has not recognized this about the chargers that come with there phone but if you go out and buy another wire like a higher end data wire from the companies my brother listed(ifrog, isound who make very durable wires or any other company that you actually see has all five pins in it you will see the difference and be happy again.
    07-08-2013 07:54 PM
    what my brother means is what i showed him. This is an observation i made and after doing some research this is what i figured out. I BELIEVE IF YOU ALL READ THIS YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED BECAUSE IT SOLVED MY PROBLEM WHICH WAS EXACTLY IDENTICAL TO ALL OF YOURS.

if you look at the small micro b usb side of the charger you will see in the one that you got with the phone the 2nd metal pin from the right is missing. its technically the 4th pin the unlabled one in this image. http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2...SB1.png?3995d3 . This is because by specification its not needed look here. http://image.pinout.net/pinout_USB_f...usb_pinout.jpg. this is a mistake some wall chargers cross there wires to be backwards to prevent the phone from detecting it as a computer. actually most chargers do this. but this means the negative data wire is lost and in a charging mode where its not a computer for the full amperage to come over the wire the amps are split over the data wires now allowing nearly double the original usb spec of amps. this is how they get 2 amps of power over the wire by sending it over the data pins instead of the one dedicated 5volt pin. but when the charger makes its self backwards to do it but they leave out the 4th pin in the end they leave out 1 of the 2 charging pins causing you to get half or less then that of an amp. making it impossible to charge your phone. The s4 needs 2 amps to charge while running. so some of you saying you got a whole new charger and saying it does not work i am going to assume even if i has 5 pins it probably does not put out more then 1 amp by specs anyways. you need a wall charger that puts out 2 amps and then a 5 pin wire samsung gave you a good charger you just need to get the wire. getting another charger is probably confusing the issue. Samsung should have noticed this and should change out the wires.This should be fixed by samsung unfortunately they are probably buying the charger and wires from some oem company or maybe even the two objects from two seperate oem companies in china who is not following protocol and not paying attention to each others spec and when one tries to be cheap and cut corners it causes this to happen. not sure how samsung has not recognized this about the chargers that come with there phone but if you go out and buy another wire like a higher end data wire from the companies my brother listed(ifrog, isound who make very durable wires or any other company that you actually see has all five pins in it you will see the difference and be happy again.
    So you're saying that the problem with the battery screen and continuous rebooting and not turn on of the phone, is solve changing the usb cable?
    07-09-2013 05:08 PM
    So i've read the forum, i have researched online and i have read countless amounts of articles on this issue. I am going to try the 5 pin usb cable with the original 2.0A samsung charger tonight. If i have any problems with it, the last resort for me before i return it to the store (without telling them i am going to open up the phone) is to buy a replacment charging port for the phone. I will change the port and see how the phone handles it. If it eliminates the problems, i will be happy. if it doesn't then im going to be pissed.

Will update you all in the coming days/weeks
    07-12-2013 04:17 AM
    well i just had that problem. but ty a million cakewalker what u suggested worked. to push the port on the phone up a lil to center it
    07-13-2013 05:35 PM
    Mines wont charge but it will charge my tablet....I change USB cords and it charges but but original back on won't charge s4

Posted via Android Central App
    07-13-2013 08:46 PM
    I've had this problem twice with my phone. Once at 2 days old and again this weekend. (three months later) The first time it seemed to resolve itself after I plugged into my laptop instead of the charging block. Seems to occur when you let the phone completely discharge, but I think it may really be running out of battery because it actually is not charging correctly when on the charger in the day or two before it runs low. I think the guys talking about the plug into the phone may have it right. However, I think the issue may actually be in the phone's input not the cable. Using different cords (like my wifes S3 cord) doesn't work either. I just got mine to work correctly by shaking the cord at the phone gently from side to side. I think there may be a sticky terminal inside the phone that makes poor contact possibly when the phone gets jostled? Not sure but that just worked for me. Good luck all! Really frustrating on such a cool phone.
    07-15-2013 10:52 AM
    I really hope this is a problem with the wires rather than the actual phone terminal...that'd be a real bummer
    07-15-2013 11:02 AM
    This girl had your same problem...see how she fixed it

http://www.squidoo.com/universal-cell-phone-battery-charger
    nancybout likes this.
    07-16-2013 09:56 PM
    how can i select modem
    07-17-2013 08:06 AM
    hey please help me , i can not select usb and uart . please
    07-17-2013 08:08 AM
    I think the phone is clearly a lemon, it has a wire short or something.
    I wanted to grab one but I'm glad I didn't yet. My daughter has the s3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    07-17-2013 08:15 AM
    Wow that many people looks like Samsung rushed this one OUT! I hope they fix it because battery issues ate dangerous as hell...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    07-17-2013 08:22 AM
    Guys after 5 hours pulling my hair out I noticed the micro usb port had some fuzzies from my pocket which disabled it from charging properly. I cleaned out with air can and a tooth pick and walahh. Goodluck
    Rejean Blais likes this.
    07-22-2013 06:24 PM
    I plugged my s4 in this morning and it was charging just fine. I came out of the shower and it had just stopped charging. Turns out my dog chewed up my charging cabe ugh!. Now where can I find an oem s4 charging cable or a true 2mah cable?
    07-23-2013 09:21 AM
    I plugged my s4 in this morning and it was charging just fine. I came out of the shower and it had just stopped charging. Turns out my dog chewed up my charging cabe ugh!. Now where can I find an oem s4 charging cable or a true 2mah cable?
    I work at Fry's Electronics and I know we sell them there. I already bought a spare. We ship too if you're not close.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    07-24-2013 12:02 AM
192 ... 34567 ...