07-18-2017 06:14 PM
192 ... 45678
tools
    in my case it was a the usb hub had went loose, so open / fix / close works
    however chances are oxidation is also possible
    hope this helps someone before they throw it out the window...
    07-24-2013 06:21 AM
    I work at Fry's Electronics and I know we sell them there. I already bought a spare. We ship too if you're not close.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Does Fry's sell an oem samsung or a third part 2ma? I've been kind of weary or frys due to a bad past experience. Either way, could you post a link to the cable? Thanks
    07-24-2013 08:42 AM
    I'm having the same problem. Any ideas? (Love my phone except for this). I have both a USB Connector and a Plug in charger, neither works.
    07-24-2013 05:46 PM
    Does Fry's sell an oem samsung or a third part 2ma? I've been kind of weary or frys due to a bad past experience. Either way, could you post a link to the cable? Thanks
    The exact same as comes with the phone. Let me get back into town in a few days and I'll find it and post back with a PLU#.

Edit. Found it.

http://www.frys.com/product/7651857?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

PLU 7651857

Sacha7905 likes this.
    07-24-2013 10:06 PM
    Same prblm here...if u find a solution then tell me plzz...
    07-27-2013 12:47 AM
    Hi Joora
    I have exactly the same problem and i don't know where to go...
    I purchased the phone at amazon factory unlocked, WHERE to go??
    I live in Chicago
    Thank you
    07-27-2013 01:47 PM
    So I think I've found a solution to my problem. My phone has stayed charging for the past 30 min now and I will keep monitoring and update you guys. But here's the fix I used.

After doing some research people were saying that the micro-usb port on the phone can easily become bent or slanted from its intended position. I looked at the micro-usb connector port on my phone and noticed that the connector part was a little to close to the bottom and should be more centered. I used the tip of a pen to bend the connector back to the middle of the port and then plugged my charger back in. Now it is working just fine. So everyone check your ports and see if the connector is close to the bottom. It should be centered.
    I had exactly the same problems as many people described here before (all of a sudden phone didn't recharge anymore, when plugged in when all charge was gone, phone reacted by vibrating, but didn't seem to charge) but i'd had some "warning signs" up front: file transfer after being connected to a pc went sometimes very very slow, connection was not recognized, ...
    I tried Cakewalker85's solution (bending micro-usb connector back to the center) and it worked! My phone is charging again (currently at 22%). I don't know whether this is a permanent/safe solution though... I guess the safe thing would be to bring the phone back to the shop for repairs and let them figure it out, though that wasn't really an option for me (won my galaxy s4 at an IT-event and now I'm not really sure about the warrany).
    07-29-2013 02:21 AM
    I had exactly the same problems as many people described here before (all of a sudden phone didn't recharge anymore, when plugged in when all charge was gone, phone reacted by vibrating, but didn't seem to charge) but i'd had some "warning signs" up front: file transfer after being connected to a pc went sometimes very very slow, connection was not recognized, ...
    I tried Cakewalker85's solution (bending micro-usb connector back to the center) and it worked! My phone is charging again (currently at 22%). I don't know whether this is a permanent/safe solution though... I guess the safe thing would be to bring the phone back to the shop for repairs and let them figure it out, though that wasn't really an option for me (won my galaxy s4 at an IT-event and now I'm not really sure about the warrany).
    Congrats on winning an S4! It should have a Samsung 1 year warranty no matter how you got it.

07-29-2013 08:43 AM
    Similar issue with my daughter's S4. Won't charge from a PC or from the mains using the supplied Samsung adapter. However, it WILL charge from my iMac! Bought a replacement Samsung mains charger/cable but still the same problem.
    07-29-2013 05:20 PM
    Having the same problem. Started about a week after purchase. Won't charge well in the car or using the computer, and I have multiple USB cords + a car charger so it's not just the cord that's missing the pin (to the gentleman that keeps posting that). I did however get it to charge using the usb cord and charger it came with by making sure the usb was plugged all the way into the charger. Thing is, it's charging right now but I know it won't charge using my comp or car charger, and god only knows if it'll charge again a week from now.

Def something wrong with the phone itself. Gonna bring it into Sprint the first chance I get.
    08-04-2013 11:15 AM
    Having the same problem. Started about a week after purchase. Won't charge well in the car or using the computer, and I have multiple USB cords + a car charger so it's not just the cord that's missing the pin (to the gentleman that keeps posting that). I did however get it to charge using the usb cord and charger it came with by making sure the usb was plugged all the way into the charger. Thing is, it's charging right now but I know it won't charge using my comp or car charger, and god only knows if it'll charge again a week from now.

Def something wrong with the phone itself. Gonna bring it into Sprint the first chance I get.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by "Won't charge well" when using the car charger or computer, but if it charges but just at a slower rate on those two power sources that is as expected because you can only draw a max of 500mA vs. the 2000mA that can be supplied by the supplied charger cord.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    08-04-2013 01:28 PM

Charging via a computer or any random usb cable won't allow you to charge at the full 2 amps

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    08-04-2013 03:54 PM
    Sadly its a well known issue, the problem is not the battery, its the charger, in many units they sent out cheap chargers that are good typically for most cell phones but for the s4 the power it uses is larger than the charger can handle by default, and this is an unintentional mistake that I will tell you how to fix very shortly.

1. the easiest fix is to get a charger self sufficient enough to maintain the charge. The ones that can do this is the 5 pin data and charging, usb chargers, just connect the usb chargers into the wall to usb charger that came with the phone. The 5 pin chargers are more capable then the 4 pin that came with your phone. To get these either look for a charger that is advertised for data transfer as well as charging at usb 2.0 to 3.0 speeds, or go with these 3 charging companies I have found that work, either the most expensive and most durable for 25 dollars at radioshack for ifrogz, or i-sound about 8 dollars at tj-maxx (oddly not at marshals). These 2 are the best I have found.

2. fix the freaking reason why the heck the phone is using so much power. These chargers are great because even if you find them actually less necessary after you fix step 2, you will find that they can totally charge the phone up 100% in about 1:20 hours. The phone was tested before it was sent to the reseller, but some of the resellers have bad firmwares and is causing google maps to run 100% of the time. Do a factory reset, sadly this means you will loose your apps and the problem usually is fixed. This should be done if you are seeing in your battery menu google maps always running at 10% or more of your battery and never closing. Even with the chargers I recommended that will be able to charge it with this bug. The phone will drain withing 10 hours on idle doing nothing to 0 and in 5 hours in hard usages. Refreshing to factory stock will fix this glitch. The phone should by 69 hours idle, and about 10 hours of hard gaming use. Its not the most efficient piece of hardware but its more efficient then what a large chunk of what people are getting out of it right now. I am sorry for your pain, I delt with it too just a couple days ago as well.
    The five-pin charger did the trick. I haven't had a problem since. I also disable Google Cards, which was really draining the battery.

THANKS!
    08-06-2013 02:47 AM
    I've tried replacing the battery, changing chargers, soft reset, factory reset and running in safe mode (all as advised by the Samsung help desk) it's a known fault but apparently its either a hardware or software issue hahaha, who would've guessed! Personally I think it's an issue with applying software to hardware if that makes sense. Whatever the reason for this, it has become progressively worse as I've followed the instructions I was given by the tech support call handler. I expect to have to send my new phone off to be investigated but when its only 3 months old (I bought a handset, full price not contract) why should I have to? I should have bought the xperia which I had planned to buy in the first place.
    oh and Samsung have not responded to any tweets on the matter either.
    08-07-2013 05:43 AM
    Guys after 5 hours pulling my hair out I noticed the micro usb port had some fuzzies from my pocket which disabled it from charging properly. I cleaned out with air can and a tooth pick and walahh. Goodluck
    yessss! Excactly Same thing for me. Guys, It is not the phone, it is not the battery, it is not the charger. It's a stupid micro dust (or a bug... ) hiden somewhere into the phone usb port. I removed the battery, psssshhhhh some pressured air into this phone usb port and voil!. It charges now. I will buy some extra cans for futur issues.... : I'm so happy. No need to "hard reset" and lose my data or go to my phone shop... Thanks EMZONE AIR DUSTER 500! (I will buy this company).
    08-09-2013 05:35 PM
    I noticed after the att update that there is a screenstate regulator on the phone. When the phone screen is off, it draws 1900mA. When the screen is on it goes down to 1200mA. Verified this with 3 different genuine 2Amp Samsung chargers and cables.

I suppose Samsung did this to keep the temperatures down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    08-10-2013 10:05 AM
    Thank you Ritsuka, I thought it was just me. My phone charged so slow when connected to my laptop but very fast when connected to the wall. Thank you!
    08-10-2013 11:30 AM
    same boat here. batt charges fine in cradle.

phone is recognized by USB while in bootloader screen.
    same issue with new spare batt so it's not a batt issue.

interestingly batt seems to be charging if we put the phone in bootloader mode.
    wife s3 had the same issue. had to wipe it a couple of times to get it to work.

in both cases this seems to have happened when using a generic car USB adapter. neither had any issues with charging from these adapters before, just decided to stop one day.

I'm going to try a hard reset on my s4 but as far as I can tell it's some failboot firmware issue... shame on Samsung for not being on top of this!
    08-13-2013 06:59 PM
    update on this... factory reset the device - relocked bootloader and unrooted the phone (again Odin works fine as the USB connection did work while in bootloader mode). The phone still doesn't get recognized by Windows via USB and does not charge after the factory reset.
    What a waste of time and hassle... I love the phone but it's 2 months old and already busted.... I've had 2 iphones before that and kept them for years w/o one single issue. Love Android but this really makes me rethink the switch
    08-14-2013 08:17 AM
    Hey guys, Ive been having the same problem,
    3 weeks ago my company moved from iPhone 5 to TMobile Samsung Galay S4's
    We purchased 8 retail boxed handsets from a local cellular distributor.
    The 8 handsets were distributed among the company as business handsets.
    The handsets were paid for in full (over $4000 of handsets)

2 of these handsets are having the exact same issues that this entire thread is reporting. As of last week, I got home late, 5% charge left on the handset and plug it into the Genuine Samsung AC adapter that came with the unit. After hearing the low battery noise, I realized the phone was not charging. In a frenzy, i grabbed one of the other Genuine chargers and noticed that no connection was being made. I tried an apple AC adapter, tried swapping cables, tried other AC blocks and tried other cables to no avail. Thinking this was an issue with the charger or the cable I decided to start and test combinations. No combination with the AC adapter provided a charge to the phone. During the trials, the handset ran out of battery and died. Attempting to plug a cable into the phone put the phone into a vibration loop.. The same vibrating loop identified by the last 100 posts.

The handset will power on to the Samsung splash screen for 1/2 a second, show a white line horizontally on the bottom edge of the screen and will then power off and loop into a continuous cycle of 1 vibrate, 6 second wait, 1/2 second Galaxy S4 splash screen followed by a horizontal white line, device shows black screen and then continues its vibrate loop. Frustrated that I couldnt charge my brand new handset I panic'd and began my research.

As a last hope, I took the cable and plugged it into the side of my 2012 MacbookPro. The device instantly showed a charging symbol with a green line on the battery, followed by the device turning on and charging. The device charged slowly due to the limited current provided by the MacbookPro usb2.0 ports. Although leaving it plugged in for the remainder of the night brought me to an operable 74%, I was infuriated at the charging issue and couldn't understand why the device would charge on the laptop but not with an AC adapter.

For the past week Ive been charging with my macbook. As of yesterday another colleague began to experience the exact same issue. Now 2 of the 8 phones we purchased were defective and unable to properly charge. After 6 hours being transferred through the Samsung support tiers i got frustrated. I needed to reach an executive but the Tier 1 and 2 supports personnel were not as technically savvy. Furthermore a Tier 1 rep cannot forward the call to a Executive Rep, only a Tier 2 rep can ask Executive rep for assistance. The Samsung executive reps are the ones that train the rest of these tiers with troubleshooting and issues. When a Samsung Executive rep identifies an issue, they can help push the issue ticket into the right hands.

After many disconnected calls and persistence I was able to get in communication with an associate of the Samsung Executive Care team. Although he was aware of charging issues and faulty AC adapters he was not aware of the circumstances and details of the problems we are having. A 45 minute conversation with him and pointing him to this forum showed that this is a real issue that affects real consumers (business phones in my case.)

Samsung Executive Care was nice enough to fedex me a second battery and a battery charger that operates separate to the phone. The external charger works well and includes a 2nd battery, I just swap batteries when I get home instead of charging through the phone. [If you choose this route make sure to shut down the phone properly before pulling the battery to avoid software issues] . This requires me to power down the phone and swap batteries daily (something I am willing to deal with). He offered to exchange the phone, but I prefer to hold on to it for a little while longer for testing.

The CurrentWidget is invaluable at identifying which chargers work and which ones don't. Furthermore a charger that appears to be connected may in fact not be charging your phone and/or discharging your phone these GS4's require around 550 ma of current to gain a decent trickle charge, the car charger in my vehicle showed a connected power source, but at the 340 ma it was charging the discharge was faster than the rate of charge. Therefore eventually powering down the phone from 5% to 0% while still plugged in. Is that where the glitch is?

This seems to be the place with the largest saturation of people that have like issues and are active in the community. I found other people in other forums with the same issue. I strongly recommend you call and report the issue.

-ki0s

EDIT: Plugging in the phone back to the macbook still charges it! Tested all 3 of the genuine Samsung AC adapters and cables i have... Still using the battery swap with external battery charger. Strongly reocmmend having one of these, makes life easy!
    08-15-2013 02:24 AM
    right on... another thing to try that seems to be working apparently is to 1) plug the phone into the charger then force the reboot via recovery (press power and vol up then select reboot). Phone will actually get out of the boot loop and load normally then charges though it still doesn't appear to show charging but the batt % will go up.

I've called AT&T yesterday (and Samsung), looks like it need to be replaced with a refurbished unit. I just hope that I'll be able to remove my $35 screen protector w/o damage.... what a shame, thing is 2months old!
    08-15-2013 07:10 AM
    A few days ago I got a software update from Samsung, I installed it and didn't notice any difference. the next day I had a message in the notification area saying that there's a firmware update I installed that also. At night I put my phone on charger but when I woke up my phone wasn't charged, I just thought that I forgot to switch the plug on or something, until I tried again, the phone wouldn't charge.

I tried turning it off and on and taking the battery out, after doing that loads it started working. Now when I next connected it to the charger, it doesn't charge. The charging 'lighting' bolt displays where the battery indicator is (to represent the charger is plugged in) but it doesn't increment (up, in green when charging) and the red notification light comes on, on the phone.

I've tried 3 different chargers that are able to charge other phones. I also am trying the Official Samsung charger that I got with the phone. I've tried it from the mains and from the usb connected to the computer. Right now I have it plugged into by pc via the usb cable and my PC is not picking up that my phone is plugged in.

below is posted from the day after the above account.

I called Samsung who said that I could take it to a shop that does repairs for them to look at. I took the phone there today and the guy was saying that the charger port has got green on it and that it is probably water damage, before even opening it up. I said I have never have had any water on the phone. I've had a screen protector and a case on since it was new, this is my second s4 the first was replaced as faulty by the store I bought it from. I've had this s4 from about the 12 June, so just over 2 months. The guy looking at the phone went on about you can get water damage from taking it to the gym, etc, can't remember all that he said, then he said he had 6 Samsung's in today and 5 of them had water damage. He told me to come back in an hour and a half so he could open it up and check it. I came back and anther person was collecting there water damaged phone from them. Anyway they told me that the charger port was corroded, I asked to see and the guy went to the back to open it up and bought it back out and showed me the connector area and it had a little bit of white on it, he said that they would change the charger connector block ribbon and charge me 25 if it works if not then they would put my old one back on.

I'm getting put off Samsung now after this experience and the poor quality of there customer service/repair service as well as there phone. I've never tried Apple but I might give them a shot. btw I also had an S2 that ended up having a charger problem and only works with one of my chargers otherwise it won't charge, I remembered this when I tried to use it as my backup phone. Two Samsung phones that wouldn't charge, Samsung need to get there quality control in order or sort out these problems without hassle. I'm getting charged to maybe fix a common problem with the S4. The guy showed me what would be replaced, I just looked on ebay and they can be had for between 6 - 10 quid could there be problems with using these? just wondering if it ever happens again or if I should take my phone back and change that part myself? would it affect any of the remaining barely exsistant warranty. Does the warranty cover anything? as I'm sure it sounds like every phone is water damaged just by using it in normal every day to day life.

I just looked at my note they writ on there that it's liquid - corrosion on block
    08-27-2013 02:25 PM
    Confirming that I have another case of the same issues everyone else is describing. This isn't looking good. Might be a recall item.
    08-31-2013 01:34 PM
    This is the second time in 1 week my phone has gone dead without warning (well, I was asleep). Anyway, it seemed fully charged, but now I've moved it to 3 locations to charge it, and it's just slow as heck. I have a business, I can't have a dead phone for 40 minutes. Also, when I leave it plugged into the charger, I get a mesasage "Phone is fully charged, disconnect charger". Why? Is there a problem in overcharging it? This is more than a nuisance, it may be a reason to take the phone back. What's going on with this problem? It seems like lots of people have the same issue. Is there something else I should do? Thank you.
    JA
    09-09-2013 10:49 AM
    This is the second time in 1 week my phone has gone dead without warning (well, I was asleep). Anyway, it seemed fully charged, but now I've moved it to 3 locations to charge it, and it's just slow as heck. I have a business, I can't have a dead phone for 40 minutes. Also, when I leave it plugged into the charger, I get a mesasage "Phone is fully charged, disconnect charger". Why? Is there a problem in overcharging it? This is more than a nuisance, it may be a reason to take the phone back. What's going on with this problem? It seems like lots of people have the same issue. Is there something else I should do? Thank you.
    JA
    It's telling you to stop wasting electricity, lol. How long after you unplug it is your phone dying? Have you tested your battery for swelling to see if it's gone bad? Is any one particular app eating a larger than normal chunk of battery life?
    09-09-2013 10:59 AM
192 ... 45678