Galaxy S4 won't charge

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I think the phone is clearly a lemon, it has a wire short or something.
I wanted to grab one but I'm glad I didn't yet. My daughter has the s3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow that many people looks like Samsung rushed this one OUT! I hope they fix it because battery issues ate dangerous as hell...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Chris Krimitsos

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 won't charge. I figured it out!!!

Guys after 5 hours pulling my hair out I noticed the micro usb port had some fuzzies from my pocket which disabled it from charging properly. I cleaned out with air can and a tooth pick and walahh. Goodluck

Sacha7905

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

I plugged my s4 in this morning and it was charging just fine. I came out of the shower and it had just stopped charging. Turns out my dog chewed up my charging cabe ugh!. Now where can I find an oem s4 charging cable or a true 2mah cable?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I plugged my s4 in this morning and it was charging just fine. I came out of the shower and it had just stopped charging. Turns out my dog chewed up my charging cabe ugh!. Now where can I find an oem s4 charging cable or a true 2mah cable?

I work at Fry's Electronics and I know we sell them there. I already bought a spare. We ship too if you're not close.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Yordan Argirov

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
in my case it was a the usb hub had went loose, so open / fix / close works
however chances are oxidation is also possible
hope this helps someone before they throw it out the window...

Sacha7905

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

I work at Fry's Electronics and I know we sell them there. I already bought a spare. We ship too if you're not close.

Does Fry's sell an oem samsung or a third part 2ma? I've been kind of weary or frys due to a bad past experience. Either way, could you post a link to the cable? Thanks

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Does Fry's sell an oem samsung or a third part 2ma? I've been kind of weary or frys due to a bad past experience. Either way, could you post a link to the cable? Thanks

The exact same as comes with the phone. Let me get back into town in a few days and I'll find it and post back with a PLU#.

Edit. Found it.

http://www.frys.com/product/7651857?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

PLU 7651857

1371822017510_zps8fac359a.jpg

1371821975765_zpsa5147600.jpg

Last edited:

Israelitoo

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joora
I have exactly the same problem and i don't know where to go...
I purchased the phone at amazon factory unlocked, WHERE to go??
I live in Chicago
Thank you

MrPleasant

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So I think I've found a solution to my problem. My phone has stayed charging for the past 30 min now and I will keep monitoring and update you guys. But here's the fix I used.

After doing some research people were saying that the micro-usb port on the phone can easily become bent or slanted from its intended position. I looked at the micro-usb connector port on my phone and noticed that the connector part was a little to close to the bottom and should be more centered. I used the tip of a pen to bend the connector back to the middle of the port and then plugged my charger back in. Now it is working just fine. So everyone check your ports and see if the connector is close to the bottom. It should be centered.

I had exactly the same problems as many people described here before (all of a sudden phone didn't recharge anymore, when plugged in when all charge was gone, phone reacted by vibrating, but didn't seem to charge) but i'd had some "warning signs" up front: file transfer after being connected to a pc went sometimes very very slow, connection was not recognized, ...
I tried Cakewalker85's solution (bending micro-usb connector back to the center) and it worked! My phone is charging again (currently at 22%). I don't know whether this is a permanent/safe solution though... I guess the safe thing would be to bring the phone back to the shop for repairs and let them figure it out, though that wasn't really an option for me (won my galaxy s4 at an IT-event and now I'm not really sure about the warrany).

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same problems as many people described here before (all of a sudden phone didn't recharge anymore, when plugged in when all charge was gone, phone reacted by vibrating, but didn't seem to charge) but i'd had some "warning signs" up front: file transfer after being connected to a pc went sometimes very very slow, connection was not recognized, ...
I tried Cakewalker85's solution (bending micro-usb connector back to the center) and it worked! My phone is charging again (currently at 22%). I don't know whether this is a permanent/safe solution though... I guess the safe thing would be to bring the phone back to the shop for repairs and let them figure it out, though that wasn't really an option for me (won my galaxy s4 at an IT-event and now I'm not really sure about the warrany).

Congrats on winning an S4! It should have a Samsung 1 year warranty no matter how you got it.

Geoff Butcher

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Similar issue with my daughter's S4. Won't charge from a PC or from the mains using the supplied Samsung adapter. However, it WILL charge from my iMac! Bought a replacement Samsung mains charger/cable but still the same problem.

Mavsynchroid

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Having the same problem. Started about a week after purchase. Won't charge well in the car or using the computer, and I have multiple USB cords + a car charger so it's not just the cord that's missing the pin (to the gentleman that keeps posting that). I did however get it to charge using the usb cord and charger it came with by making sure the usb was plugged all the way into the charger. Thing is, it's charging right now but I know it won't charge using my comp or car charger, and god only knows if it'll charge again a week from now.

Def something wrong with the phone itself. Gonna bring it into Sprint the first chance I get.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. Started about a week after purchase. Won't charge well in the car or using the computer, and I have multiple USB cords + a car charger so it's not just the cord that's missing the pin (to the gentleman that keeps posting that). I did however get it to charge using the usb cord and charger it came with by making sure the usb was plugged all the way into the charger. Thing is, it's charging right now but I know it won't charge using my comp or car charger, and god only knows if it'll charge again a week from now.

Def something wrong with the phone itself. Gonna bring it into Sprint the first chance I get.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Won't charge well" when using the car charger or computer, but if it charges but just at a slower rate on those two power sources that is as expected because you can only draw a max of 500mA vs. the 2000mA that can be supplied by the supplied charger cord.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Charging via a computer or any random usb cable won't allow you to charge at the full 2 amps

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

esprit15d

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Sadly its a well known issue, the problem is not the battery, its the charger, in many units they sent out cheap chargers that are good typically for most cell phones but for the s4 the power it uses is larger than the charger can handle by default, and this is an unintentional mistake that I will tell you how to fix very shortly.

1. the easiest fix is to get a charger self sufficient enough to maintain the charge. The ones that can do this is the 5 pin data and charging, usb chargers, just connect the usb chargers into the wall to usb charger that came with the phone. The 5 pin chargers are more capable then the 4 pin that came with your phone. To get these either look for a charger that is advertised for data transfer as well as charging at usb 2.0 to 3.0 speeds, or go with these 3 charging companies I have found that work, either the most expensive and most durable for 25 dollars at radioshack for ifrogz, or i-sound about 8 dollars at tj-maxx (oddly not at marshals). These 2 are the best I have found.

2. fix the freaking reason why the heck the phone is using so much power. These chargers are great because even if you find them actually less necessary after you fix step 2, you will find that they can totally charge the phone up 100% in about 1:20 hours. The phone was tested before it was sent to the reseller, but some of the resellers have bad firmwares and is causing google maps to run 100% of the time. Do a factory reset, sadly this means you will loose your apps and the problem usually is fixed. This should be done if you are seeing in your battery menu google maps always running at 10% or more of your battery and never closing. Even with the chargers I recommended that will be able to charge it with this bug. The phone will drain withing 10 hours on idle doing nothing to 0 and in 5 hours in hard usages. Refreshing to factory stock will fix this glitch. The phone should by 69 hours idle, and about 10 hours of hard gaming use. Its not the most efficient piece of hardware but its more efficient then what a large chunk of what people are getting out of it right now. I am sorry for your pain, I delt with it too just a couple days ago as well.

The five-pin charger did the trick. I haven't had a problem since. I also disable Google Cards, which was really draining the battery.

THANKS!

p_r

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I've tried replacing the battery, changing chargers, soft reset, factory reset and running in safe mode (all as advised by the Samsung help desk) it's a known fault but apparently its either a hardware or software issue hahaha, who would've guessed! Personally I think it's an issue with applying software to hardware if that makes sense. Whatever the reason for this, it has become progressively worse as I've followed the instructions I was given by the tech support call handler. I expect to have to send my new phone off to be investigated but when its only 3 months old (I bought a handset, full price not contract) why should I have to? I should have bought the xperia which I had planned to buy in the first place.
oh and Samsung have not responded to any tweets on the matter either.

Rejean Blais

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Guys after 5 hours pulling my hair out I noticed the micro usb port had some fuzzies from my pocket which disabled it from charging properly. I cleaned out with air can and a tooth pick and walahh. Goodluck

yessss! Excactly Same thing for me. Guys, It is not the phone, it is not the battery, it is not the charger. It's a stupid micro dust (or a bug... :) ) hiden somewhere into the phone usb port. I removed the battery, psssshhhhh some pressured air into this phone usb port and voil?!. It charges now. I will buy some extra cans for futur issues.... : I'm so happy. No need to "hard reset" and lose my data or go to my phone shop... Thanks EMZONE AIR DUSTER 500! (I will buy this company).

Last edited: