05-06-2013 02:42 PM
166 12345 ...
tools
    To be a little technical, you can say it does have 16gb of "secondary memory" and 2gb of primary memory and that be correct.
    Well I disagree. 2 gb is memory. 16 gb is storage

Sent From My SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    The Hustleman and kiroid like this.
    05-03-2013 08:29 PM
    Or just say RAM and ROM. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    ROM is also incorrect. ROM cannot be altered.

The Hustleman likes this.
    05-03-2013 08:33 PM
    I'm holding out for a minimum 32Gb S4. I'd just at a 64Gb.

Why do I have to justify WHY I want a 32Gb or 64Gb? When buying a car do I have to come up with reasons why I choose the V8 over the V6 or 4 cylinder? I want it 'cause I want it. If Verizon & Samsung want my money then they'd be offer me what I want or they don't get it. For cryin' out load they are a retail company NOT supplying what their customers want. I'm not giving in....

They advertise having 16Gb, 32Gb or 64Gb. IF they don't offer them then its false advertising.
    Scourge1024 likes this.
    05-03-2013 08:38 PM
    Me personally, I have no problems with internal storage until it comes to games and Google music. Most apps allow cache to the sd card, I root so I have the virtual folder to my external sd card. Problem comes when have downloads are 1GB and I can only have 2. I stream my music and cache from Google music and that only does on the internal storage. I have too much music even for a 32gb sd card.

All they have to do is allow apps to install on onsd card again and that'll solve these issues. Why did they take that away anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L710
    05-03-2013 08:46 PM
    Actually you did: "The phone has 16gb of memory on board."
    No. Unless I specified RAM I was referencing storage.
    05-03-2013 10:00 PM
    It's called a conversation. If you don't like it then don't participate. Agree to disagree.
    Or you can try and not be a condescending jerk.
    05-03-2013 10:03 PM
    I'm holding out for a minimum 32Gb S4. I'd just at a 64Gb.

Why do I have to justify WHY I want a 32Gb or 64Gb? When buying a car do I have to come up with reasons why I choose the V8 over the V6 or 4 cylinder? I want it 'cause I want it. If Verizon & Samsung want my money then they'd be offer me what I want or they don't get it. For cryin' out load they are a retail company NOT supplying what their customers want. I'm not giving in....

They advertise having 16Gb, 32Gb or 64Gb. IF they don't offer them then its false advertising.
    That's not what false advertising means.
    05-03-2013 10:04 PM
    Oh no! It is going to get ugly now...
    Naw...

05-03-2013 10:35 PM
    Or you can try and not be a condescending jerk.
    Now we are name calling. Real mature of you.

05-03-2013 10:48 PM
    Now we are name calling. Real mature of you.

When you behave like one, you're going to get called on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-2013 10:54 PM
    ROM is also incorrect. ROM cannot be altered.

Wrong

Look at Samsungs description. 16gb internal memory (ROM)

05-03-2013 10:56 PM
    When you behave like one, you're going to get called on it.

It's my opinion, deal with it.

05-03-2013 10:57 PM
    It's my opinion, deal with it.

You attempting to correct others is not your opinion, especially considering you were wrong.

05-03-2013 11:04 PM
    Wrong

Look at Samsungs description. 16gb internal memory (ROM)

Actually, you're wrong. Flash memory is EEPROM. When you say ROM, without specifying the type, you are not referring to the correct type of ROM. ROM, as a standalone term, refers to read only memory which is not meant for writing user data.

Oh and its also funny because what you posted contradicts you attempting to correct me earlier. Funny how that works.

05-03-2013 11:08 PM
    They say its only 1GB more than the S3, but if I recall, my S3 has 12GB free...not 9 or 10...thats some bull to me but whatever, I keep most of my stuff on the SD Card anyways
    Correct the s3 does ship with 12gb free.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-2013 11:11 PM
    Me personally, I have no problems with internal storage until it comes to games and Google music. Most apps allow cache to the sd card, I root so I have the virtual folder to my external sd card. Problem comes when have downloads are 1GB and I can only have 2. I stream my music and cache from Google music and that only does on the internal storage. I have too much music even for a 32gb sd card.

All they have to do is allow apps to install on onsd card again and that'll solve these issues. Why did they take that away anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L710
    They do not cache to the external sd card. They cache to the sdcard0, which is the internal storage.

Not sure how people respectfully are not getting that NO data goes to the external card. Exception being media, or files you download with an app or browser that can be set download to the external card. No games and no market app content goes to the external sd card. Samsung is just as ignorant as all the carriers sales staff misleading people. The ONLY real fix is MORE internal storage.
    05-03-2013 11:14 PM
    They do not cache to the external sd card. They cache to the sdcard0, which is the internal storage.
    I thought it allowed apps to store data on the SD? Its been a while since I owned a phone with one, so I could be wrong.

05-03-2013 11:16 PM
    Actually, you're wrong. Flash memory is EEPROM. When you say ROM, without specifying the type, you are not referring to the correct type of ROM. ROM, as a standalone term, refers to read only memory which is not meant for writing user data.

Oh and its also funny because what you posted contradicts you attempting to correct me earlier. Funny how that works.

I'm just quoting Samsung. I guess you're smarter than Samsung.

05-03-2013 11:16 PM

Sent from my SPH-L710
    Google got rid of it because of all the problems it was causing for the users that were using it.

What problems?

-Apps not reloading from sdcard when the phone was rebooted.

-Apps becoming corrupt from being read from external storage not internal storage.

-Data becoming corrupt from being stored on sdcard.

-Apps to sd frying low end sdcards.

-Having to uninstall then reinstall the app and not be able to use it still.

Really I can go on and on, but those are pretty much the main reasons why. Think of it this way.

In computer terms, would you want your data read from an external drive using slow usb ports (usb 3.0/lightning does not count as they aren't fully implemented at an affordable cost yet), or would you want your data being read from an internal drive using sata ports?

Topgonzo likes this.
    05-03-2013 11:20 PM
    It does, but sdcard0, which is the internal storage. The second update of ice cream sandwich got rid of system allocations and the ability to install and move apps to the sd card. The internal space now has this function and is part of the security of the OS for Jellybean. Also, customer service calls went way up because some did not get that when they removed the sd card, apps stopped working and vanished. Google got rid of the feature ASAP when ICS was more mature.
    05-03-2013 11:20 PM

Not sure how people respectfully are not getting that NO data goes to the external card. Exception being media, or files you download with an app or browser that can be set download to the external card. No games and no market app content goes to the external sd card. Samsung is just as ignorant as all the carriers sales staff misleading people. The ONLY real fix is MORE internal storage.
    Honeycomb and back does allow moving data to your sdcard, Google did away with it in ics.

05-03-2013 11:21 PM
    Honeycomb and back does allow moving data to your sdcard, Google did away with it in ics.

You are correct. I am confusing this due to the Toshiba tablets had HC and some never got ICS. Point is you can NOT install or move any app data to the external card on the S4 and Samsung is now just as bad as the carriers misleading customers in a bad way. Pure stupid for them since it is their product.
    05-03-2013 11:25 PM
    You are correct. I am confusing this due to the Toshiba tablets had HC and some never got ICS. Point is you can NOT install or move any app data to the external card on the S4 and Samsung is now just as bad as the carriers misleading customers in a bad way. Pure stupid for them since it is their product.
    There's a difference between moving apps and moving app data. Unless something changed with 4.2.2 if the app is set up for it you should be able to move data to the sd card.

Sent from my Note 2
    05-03-2013 11:30 PM
    Wow people are arguing semantics now. Ridiculous. No matter how you spin it, it still sucks. Yes, Samsung says 16gb storage. No, they did not specify how that is used. We get it. The thing is if they knew their os with all that crap on it would take that much space, they should have not even offered a 16gb model. 8gb is not enough for a top of the line phone that based on most buyers is supposed to last two years due to a contract. I can tell you right now I've had my one x for a year now 16gb model and I've recently had to start deleting pictures. It's annoying. And I have maybe about 50 apps on it. Yes you have an sd card on the s4 but it does not hold apps. I think it's complete garbage and I'm sorry for people that buy that model and didn't wait for the 32gb model.
    05-03-2013 11:30 PM
    Samsung is pretty much saying stop ******** and deal with it lol.
    jrb363 likes this.
    05-03-2013 11:45 PM
166 12345 ...