05-06-2013 02:42 PM
166 ... 23456 ...
tools
    There's a difference between moving apps and moving app data. Unless something changed with 4.2.2 if the app is set up for it you should be able to move data to the sd card.

Sent from my Note 2
    That's what I thought. I could have sworn the S3 I had a long time ago had it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2013 12:07 AM
    I didn't get a sd card with my s4... nor did my wife....
    05-04-2013 05:38 AM
    This type of Samsung BS is exactly the reason why I went with the HTC One over the S4. I was shocked in store about the lack of storage and having an external card for what I use (apps) is not helpful. Plus Touchwiz is nothing more than a resource hog and I couldn't stand it lagging in store vs the smoothness of Sense 5 on the HTC.
    Topgonzo likes this.
    05-04-2013 06:47 AM
    I think that Samsung is also trying to push the cloud services for media. Sd cards like it or not will not be around in the future.
    This is another important reason why to offer higher internal storage.
    05-04-2013 06:47 AM
    Samsung advertises the S4 as being 16GB. They do however state that not all of it is usable but never state how much the consumer actually has to use. Now, if Samsung included all the software in the rom leaving total usable space at 16GB (minus formatting) then advertising it as 16GB would be appropriate. But they don't. They slam the software on the 16GB leaving 8.xxGB for the end user. If this software could be removed (which it can't), touting it as a 16GB would be correct.

What I'm saying is that if the software could be removed, then advertising it as a 16GB would be right. But since the software can't be removed, changed, deleted, aborted, kicked, slammed or anything thereof because it's part of the system, it is a 9GB phone. Sorry. Samsung really pis*ed me off with this crap. I know all manufacturers do this to some extent but Sammy seems to be the leader in a round-a-bout deception practice.

Think of it this way. You look at a new crossover vehicle advertising that it seats 7 but the seats that hold the 3 extra people can't be used because of extra battery housings.
    05-04-2013 07:19 AM
    There's a difference between moving apps and moving app data. Unless something changed with 4.2.2 if the app is set up for it you should be able to move data to the sd card.

Sent from my Note 2
    You can not move data to the external sd card. Could a savvy person with a rooted device do it? Yep, but even they will be forced to start from scratch when the app needs updated in the market. The internal space is mapped as the first sd card space and this is by design. If you doubt this, please try it.

Moving apps or data to the sd card as a result will help virtually nobody. Only media can be optioned to the external card. Not market related content.
    05-04-2013 08:08 AM
    I think that Samsung is also trying to push the cloud services for media. Sd cards like it or not will not be around in the future.
    This is another important reason why to offer higher internal storage.
    If there was no sd slot I would agree, since Google and the Nexus IS doing that. The cloud does not help the app storage issue here. Only extra internal storage will via a 32 or 64gb S4.
    05-04-2013 08:11 AM
    Hope this helps for beyondpod: it's under General settings:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/ajapaty2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/pavava6e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Why can't it be like Pocket Casts (offer option) and move it on its own? SMDH
    05-04-2013 08:24 AM
    I agree, SD cards are 2011.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)
    05-04-2013 08:24 AM
    That's what I thought. I could have sworn the S3 I had a long time ago had it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Though I wish you were correct, you are mistaken. The S3 does not have an option to move app content to the external sd card.

Anyone again, please try for yourself with a jellybean device. Only media: podcasts, messages, pics, vids, audio files, comics, ebook, etc. No official app allows app content to the external card.

I mean this very respectfully, but like the sales people at the carriers and Samsung themselves are helping to spread false information. A lot of people will be fine with the 8 to 9 gb free, but gamers in particular will find out the had way this is wrong.
    05-04-2013 08:27 AM
    Why can't it be like Pocket Casts (offer option) and move it on its own? SMDH
    Podcasts are not secure app content, so can be moved. No different than setting a download directory for a browser or a storage directory for emulators or media apps via their software interface. Google pulled the app data option due to security and people complaining to carrier customer service when apps stopped working or vanished. This was due to people swapping cards and not realizing it nulls the apps and also actual sd card quality created issues as well. OEMs can control the internal storage quality, but not consumers buying any card they want.
    05-04-2013 08:31 AM
    Or just say RAM and ROM. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Not quite correct.. You are correct on the RAM, the 2gb, but the ROM don't apply to the 16gb.. You can write to the 16gb, that excludes it from being "read only memory(ROM) you still cool!!
    The Hustleman likes this.
    05-04-2013 08:53 AM
    Well I disagree. 2 gb is memory. 16 gb is storage

Sent From My SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    You can disagree, but in a respectful and courteous way, you are wrong. Storage is "memory".. Always have been, and always will.. lol.. ;the 2gb is pirmary, and the 16gb is secondary.. Look it up!! LOL
    Topgonzo likes this.
    05-04-2013 08:57 AM
    Podcasts are not secure app content, so can be moved. No different than setting a download directory for a browser or a storage directory for emulators or media apps via their software interface. Google pulled the app data option due to security and people complaining to carrier customer service when apps stopped working or vanished. This was due to people swapping cards and not realizing it nulls the apps and also actual sd card quality created issues as well. OEMs can control the internal storage quality, but not consumers buying any card they want.
    I cant roll with that. You make things EASIER for the consumer. The average consumer does not know how to find the root directory of a SD card. Removing an app does not make the data on the SD card go away.
    05-04-2013 09:04 AM
    I agree, SD cards are 2011.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)
    They are very handy though for users that value local content for media, rather than relying on cloud data, which eats more battery, kills data caps and depends on always being connected. This does not fit all people.
    05-04-2013 09:25 AM
    S4 comes with 50gb of cloud storage from drop box

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4... there is none better!
    05-04-2013 09:28 AM
    Or just say RAM and ROM. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    And that would be incorrect. ROM = Read Only Memory.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-04-2013 09:30 AM
    I cant roll with that. You make things EASIER for the consumer. The average consumer does not know how to find the root directory of a SD card. Removing an app does not make the data on the SD card go away.
    Simple answer was for Samsung to offer the 32gb at launch as well, so consumers can get the version that suits them. They did this with the S3 and it had 2gb more storage and the average app size for games and media centric social apps were smaller. Samsung went the wrong direction this time and are handling it terribly. Their response to the problem was ignorant to a bewildering level.
    05-04-2013 09:51 AM

That doesn't help with app storage at all. Pictures and videos, yes, and I use it all the time for that.
    05-04-2013 09:52 AM

Yep, that will fix the app storage issue real good! Good one!
    05-04-2013 09:53 AM
    They are very handy though for users that value local content for media, rather than relying on cloud data, which eats more battery, kills data caps and depends on always being connected. This does not fit all people.
    +1

Streaming, I don't care if you have Unlimited Data you're Battery isn't.

During NFL season I have trouble getting 8 hours with TuneIn (The Herd, Audio) and mobile TV (NFL Games) being streamed. Do I really need to use up my Battery & Data because I want to the "Cloud" to play my Music & Videos. No thanks.
    The Hustleman likes this.
    05-04-2013 10:23 AM
    Lawsuit?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    05-04-2013 10:39 AM
    That doesn't help with app storage at all. Pictures and videos, yes, and I use it all the time for that.
    Who needs more than 10gb storage only for apps?

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    roberts68 likes this.
    05-04-2013 11:03 AM

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    People that like playing games. And users that don't know how to clear their cache. They also don't have 10, they have between 8-9.

You have a One. Take Zoe's and see how much storage those take up. As it sits right now, I've used 2.81GB for apps and 1.34GB for pics and videos. That's without any of the larger games that I play on my tablet. For someone without a tablet, or that likes to game on their phone, this could end up being a HUGE issue.
    bigrey81 likes this.
    05-04-2013 11:22 AM
    I do.

I need more than 10GB of (the faster, more reliable) internal storage. I'm not going to debate what I do with my phone and why. If Samsung can't deliver, I sadly may have to go elsewhere.
    05-04-2013 11:28 AM
166 ... 23456 ...