05-06-2013 02:42 PM
166 ... 4567
tools
    The people that this affects (people who play a lot of games on their phones) probably wouldn't have bought the 16 GB version anyways. If you've bought a smartphone before, you'd know that you never get the full amount of space as they do tell you that the amount of formatted space is less on the box. It is a few more GBs than normal, but hardly anything to create this much vitriol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    That's a big assumption to make. That people that play a lot of games will automatically spring for more storage. I wonder how many people bought the Arcade version of the Xbox 360 vs the higher capacity simply due to cost. I wonder if the 16gb version of the S5 (or whatever they call it next year) will have even less storage available, and if you'll say the exact same thing that you're saying now when/if it does.

Being upset that they haven't (or may never) release a higher capacity storage makes a lot more sense than getting irate over the loss of a few more GBs than normal on a 16GB phone that probably wouldn't have fit your needs anyways. Holy run-on sentence, Batman.

I agree, that being this upset about it is kinda absurd, but at the same time, we haven't really seen any evidence of the larger capacities making it to the US carriers. Remember the 64gb S3 that was being released in Europe last year? Neither does anybody else, because it was never released.

Of course, the box does absolve them of any responsibility, since it does have that disclaimer....
    05-04-2013 04:38 PM
    I agree with the general view that had the carriers also offered 32gb, or at least announce when they would be available, the complaints would mainly be isolated to the fact the large versions will be later. Samsung's dumba$$ response exacerbated the perception of the issue.

Carriers need to speak up.
    05-04-2013 04:51 PM
    That's a big assumption to make. That people that play a lot of games will automatically spring for more storage. I wonder how many people bought the Arcade version of the Xbox 360 vs the higher capacity simply due to cost. I wonder if the 16gb version of the S5 (or whatever they call it next year) will have even less storage available, and if you'll say the exact same thing that you're saying now when/if it does.

I agree, that being this upset about it is kinda absurd, but at the same time, we haven't really seen any evidence of the larger capacities making it to the US carriers. Remember the 64gb S3 that was being released in Europe last year? Neither does anybody else, because it was never released.

Of course, the box does absolve them of any responsibility, since it does have that disclaimer....
    I will say it again next year. I don't even come close to using 2 GB of app storage on my phone with a little over 100 apps. So I've got 64 GB SD storage and 50 GB Box storage for the cloud for everything else. I think I'm good no matter what they do.

Just like the XBox, additional storage can be added externally. I didn't assume anything, either. This does affect the people that play games as amassing 8-9 GB of just applications and not games would be a usage case in the minority.

That being said, I'm surprised they haven't released a higher storage capacity version in the US yet. Maybe it's their way of supporting Google and their choice to push people towards the cloud. Who knows.

The disclaimer on the box does cover them, too. Just like it does every other phone and the phones that preceded them. Maybe this development will hinder Samsung to only selling double or triple the amount of any other Android device instead of 10x or higher. Always have to find that silver lining.

05-04-2013 05:06 PM
    They are very handy though for users that value local content for media, rather than relying on cloud data, which eats more battery, kills data caps and depends on always being connected. This does not fit all people.
    The solution below solves this for the vast majority of people
    Simple answer was for Samsung to offer the 32gb at launch as well, so consumers can get the version that suits them. They did this with the S3 and it had 2gb more storage and the average app size for games and media centric social apps were smaller. Samsung went the wrong direction this time and are handling it terribly. Their response to the problem was ignorant to a bewildering level.
    Higher internal storage costs more than SD cards. But you get what you pay for. Internal storage is faster and more efficient. That's why I commented that SD cards are a 2011 solution.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)
    05-04-2013 05:30 PM
    Call Samsung and let them know.

Memory
    Internal Memory 2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM
    External Memory/microSD Capacity
    External Memory: Up to 64GB
    Oh ok. Please respond with their number.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-04-2013 05:59 PM
    Who needs more than 10gb storage only for apps?

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!" -- Bill Gates, 1981
    brianphrack likes this.
    05-04-2013 06:25 PM
    Some people do. They're a minority though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    brianphrack likes this.
    05-04-2013 06:33 PM
    Not a relevant response. We're talking about the present situation and current app code which isn't going to noticeably change for the next few years.

05-04-2013 07:07 PM
    You can disagree, but in a respectful and courteous way, you are wrong. Storage is "memory".. Always have been, and always will.. lol.. ;the 2gb is pirmary, and the 16gb is secondary.. Look it up!! LOL
    Well obviously your not old enough to know what your talking about. It may be referred to that now but before cell phones (in the days of 120 meg hard drives) there were 3 distinct things... Storage, NEVER referred to as memory. Ram, always referred to as memory and ROM, like "CD roms".
    Now it can be argued it's a matter of semantics but it has NOT (to put it your way), "always have been".
    Learn something new or just remain ignorant of historical fact (respectfully).

Sent From spectfuMy SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    05-04-2013 08:05 PM
    Call Samsung and let them know.

Memory
    Internal Memory 2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM
    External Memory/microSD Capacity
    External Memory: Up to 64GB
    Sheesh, why is this concept so difficult to understand?
    The internal 16gb IS NOT, I repeat not ROM! Data stored there CAN and is constantly being modified. It is not "read only memory"

Sent From My SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    Eric Kane likes this.
    05-04-2013 08:16 PM
    Tidbits:

The manufacturers of phones and tablets miss ID flash as ROM on a regular basis in their specs. Heck, even Samsung does not know sd cards can not be used anymore with apps. Kind of bad considering their core competencies.

Bill Gates in 1993 also said the internet was for hackers and would not catch on to mass consumers. He changed his tune when Netscape became huge and the internet exploded overnight. Microsoft was afraid Netscape could be used like a Windows. Thus was born Internet Explorer as part of the package of, Windows 95- for obvious reasons.
    05-04-2013 09:10 PM
    I seriously doubt that Samsung doesn't know that SD cards can't be used for apps. The Samsung engineers and programmers would have very detailed knowledge of Android.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-04-2013 09:24 PM
    Probably, but their spokesperson defending the low storage did not know and was speaking on behalf of Samsung.
    05-04-2013 09:37 PM
    Not a relevant response. We're talking about the present situation and current app code which isn't going to noticeably change for the next few years.

I think it a very relevant response. And, ironically, your second sentence sounds like more of the same. We are seeing larger and larger apps and that will inevitably accelerate as the hardware improves.

It's sad that mfgs/carriers are crippling these magnificent pocket computers with low storage.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-04-2013 09:40 PM
    The S4 was advertised as having three available storage sizes; 16Gb, 32Gb and 64Gb. Why is everybody ONLY getting the 16Gb models? WHO is getting the other two more desirable model configurations? And if nobody ... then WHY was the S4 advertised has having them? Is it a money issue? Why not sell the 32Gb and 64Gb models as special order non-stock items? This line of bull that the S3 32Gb and 64Gb models didn't sell well is OLD news. IF thats the case then why offer them in the first place???
    05-04-2013 10:04 PM
    Probably, but their spokesperson defending the low storage did not know and was speaking on behalf of Samsung.
    Exactly. One Samsung employee who has it wrong doesn't equate to all Samsung employees having it wrong.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-04-2013 10:09 PM
    It would be too hard to tell the truth though.
    05-04-2013 10:12 PM
    Sheesh, why is this concept so difficult to understand?
    The internal 16gb IS NOT, I repeat not ROM! Data stored there CAN and is constantly being modified. It is not "read only memory"

Sent From My SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    Not quite true. It is actually classified as ROM, but a specific type called EEPROM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2013 10:34 PM
    All these semantic debates are wasting energy in the wrong place. Channel the energy directly to Samsung and the equally wrong information pushing carriers. Simply put, sd cards are NOT going to increase app storage space and the carriers need to be pressured to offer at least the 32gb models. Give their CUSTOMERS that PAY them the CHOICE, rather than have the "let them eat cake" self anointed attitude toward their "peasant" customers. Dramatic? A tad perhaps.

The simple fact is Samsung and the carriers are spreading false information and need to be called out on it. Complacency will get us nowhere but 8/16gb S4 models. Who is to say the same level of ignorance is not also at the level of people making the carrier decisions of what size models to carry? Assume not? There is an acronym for assume.
    rexxman likes this.
    05-05-2013 08:38 AM
    Well put rushmore. And folks, vote with your wallet.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-05-2013 08:50 AM

I beg to differ. I am newbie on this phone bit, but I can comment on the progress of technology. Every year the pace of technology increases and gets faster. In the pc world, it use to be a couple years for software and hardware. Now, both of them are updated almost monthly. With the fierce competition out there, a new tech can rendor something obsolete in a few months. Remember tape drives?

I am glad this debate is on, and it is thorough too. I am not a gamer, in fact a newbie, so the 16gb version would be way, way over my head, and overkill for me. However, reading this debate, I am waiting for the 32 gb version, although I might not ever install or play a game. My reasoning for the 32gb, is that will be the most desirable version down the line. I am going buy mine outright. And reading how even if you buy it outright from a carrier (T Mobile), that is still some flak on getting it unlocked.

Thanks to all the juicy feedback I have been reading, the best deal for me would be getting a 32gb factory unlocked version. I will be ready for any big updates, and my resale value would be good too.
    05-05-2013 11:06 AM
    Well obviously your not old enough to know what your talking about. It may be referred to that now but before cell phones (in the days of 120 meg hard drives) there were 3 distinct things... Storage, NEVER referred to as memory. Ram, always referred to as memory and ROM, like "CD roms".
    Now it can be argued it's a matter of semantics but it has NOT (to put it your way), "always have been".
    Learn something new or just remain ignorant of historical fact (respectfully).
    Sent From spectfuMy SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    I again, respectfully and courteously disagree.
    First, I am 72 year old.
    I was pushing pcs back when a xt and 30mb hard drive was considered a power user.
    Technology is an exacting field. Terms can get thrown around, and some people can take them for fact, like you are doing here,doesn't make them correct. Even Samsung made an error with then stated the S4 has 2gb RAM, and 16gb ROM. Just like you,they are wrong. The 16gb is not ROM. It is MEMORY. Memory and Storage are the same, in case you didn't know. I say that with all the respect in the world.

Again to be technically and thoroughly correct, The S4 has 2gb primary memory RAM, and 16 gb of internal memory or secondary memory or you can call it storage..
    Just because you something is never referred to as something doesn't change what it is. That is fact, not hearsay.

BTW, remembered when I upgraded my pc from 512k, to 640k. I spent $125 for the extra 128k of memory and I ran like I stole it. I recall when 4mb simms were $699 and PC books were stating that nobody in the world would ever have 16 mbs or RAM..

I said all this respectfully and courteously.

ceh
    05-05-2013 11:26 AM
    All these semantic debates are wasting energy in the wrong place. Channel the energy directly to Samsung and the equally wrong information pushing carriers. Simply put, sd cards are NOT going to increase app storage space and the carriers need to be pressured to offer at least the 32gb models. Give their CUSTOMERS that PAY them the CHOICE, rather than have the "let them eat cake" self anointed attitude toward their "peasant" customers. Dramatic? A tad perhaps.

The simple fact is Samsung and the carriers are spreading false information and need to be called out on it. Complacency will get us nowhere but 8/16gb S4 models. Who is to say the same level of ignorance is not also at the level of people making the carrier decisions of what size models to carry? Assume not? There is an acronym for assume.
    Good point!

Also, I think this is a marketing strategy on the part of Samsung. They are selling as many 16gb version as they can, and when the demand decreases, they will break out with the 32gb/64gb versions.

However, it seems like the strategy might backfire if they don't hurry up and make some announcements. I can see a lot of potential S4 buyers jumping ship to HTC and other phone brands simply on the marketing strategy of Samsung.
    05-05-2013 11:44 AM
    I think it a very relevant response. And, ironically, your second sentence sounds like more of the same. We are seeing larger and larger apps and that will inevitably accelerate as the hardware improves.

It's sad that mfgs/carriers are crippling these magnificent pocket computers with low storage.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    Nothing's going to change noticeably in size of apps in 2 years. If anything needs to change by then it's internal storage size not more cheap slow outdated SD cards. Samsung took a step backwards.

So no. It was not a relevant response .

05-05-2013 05:39 PM
    maybe not a noticeable change in app size but i imagine certainly in photo and video sizes with these 13mp cameras... i mean at full size how big are these photos and how big for a 2-5 minute video? how about a 60 minute video (I was recording my daughters one hour piano lesson with my N4 so for me a length like that wouldnt be uncommon)?

Nothing's going to change noticeably in size of apps in 2 years. If anything needs to change by then it's internal storage size not more cheap slow outdated SD cards. Samsung took a step backwards.

So no. It was not a relevant response .

05-05-2013 06:00 PM
166 ... 4567