Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember an Android phone that offered 16 GB total and I had 16 GB free. It's always 11-12 GB for the most part. You know, because Android itself isn't devoid of using storage. Samsung has a lot of things packed into this phone, so it's 2-3 GB less. Not a big deal, but because Samsung is the new Apple, it'll be blown out of proportion.

2-3 GB less???????? Try 6.85 GB less.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have posted this several times, but nobody has responded.

This site, claims to have the 32gb and 64gb unlocked. $825 for the 32, and $925 for the 64

SAMSUNG I9500 GALAXY S4 32GB QUADBAND UNLOCKED GSM PHONE (BLACK M

They have the check marked in stock.

I am waiting for T mobile. They have the 16gb for outright price of $639. I figure the 32 out right price will be $740.., or since I am hot in the pants, I might just swing for the $825.. ;)

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Its only a big deal because apps are getting bigger and our devices have to last multiple years. If apps could be installed on the external sd card by default still, then this wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Alternatively, if all apps gave the option to choose where you want them to store extra content, such as what Pocket Casts does, this also wouldn't be a big deal. But anyone wanting to do things like pin google music for offline play or even pin movies for a car or plane trip are going to find this lack of storage/downlaod option a problem. And the S4 is not the only device affected.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
From what I recall, you had 28-29 GB free out of the box. Were you this irate then?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Let's be fair. If it was the same, he'd have 24-25 if Samsung used the same amount of storage.

I get the argument, and anger, but at the same time, this information is easy to find. If you don't like how much storage is left do what some others are doing and wait for the larger capacities.

Also, if you didn't know this information before you purchased the phone, it's easy enough to locate when you actually have the phone. If it truly is a deal breaker then return it and get something different, or wait for the larger capacity to come out. Either way, the problem is solved.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a 64GB Ultra SanDisk microSD but that's not the point. We are being charged for 16GB when in reality there's only less than 9GB. I have 8.44GB since Bell also decided to ADD their bloatware.

Samsung needs to correct this if Apple (love them too) had done this the Internet would've crashed with all the backlash. I am waiting for my S-Cover Samsung.

I agree it's 2013 and 32GB should be the standard anyways.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Let's be fair. If it was the same, he'd have 24-25 if Samsung used the same amount of storage.

I get the argument, and anger, but at the same time, this information is easy to find. If you don't like how much storage is left do what some others are doing and wait for the larger capacities.

Also, if you didn't know this information before you purchased the phone, it's easy enough to locate when you actually have the phone. If it truly is a deal breaker then return it and get something different, or wait for the larger capacity to come out. Either way, the problem is solved.

I'm referring to him thinking they jipped him 6+ GB instead of 2-3 GB. Guess I don't understand the outrage over a few lost GBs.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
This site, claims to have the 32gb and 64gb unlocked. $825 for the 32, and $925 for the 64

Thats ph_q__n insane! Short of the wealthy anyone who would pay $825 or $925 for a phone no matter how smart it is has some serious gotta have it issues... In my broke azz opinion anyway.

I'm going to have to wait for my upgrade and the S5 in 2014. :mad:

I'll be hate'n on ya'll till then... If I don't stroke out first! :eek:

Submitted VIA Subspace

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The real question I think everyone has is when will the 32G or 64G versions be available on the US carriers. I would pay the premium over the cost of an SD card to have the additional 16G on board memory on an S4 and then have an SD card to store email files that get downloaded and other items like pictures and videos. I have not seen any carrier in the US marketing the larger storage devices.

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I recall, you had 28-29 GB free out of the box. Were you this irate then?

I wasn't taken for 6.85 GB, plus I stepped up to the plate on a 32gb so I would have move then 9.15 GB of space. Thinking I'm irate made me chuckle. Thanks! Enjoy your 9.15 GB phone.

brianphrack

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have posted this several times, but nobody has responded.

SAMSUNG I9500 GALAXY S4 32GB QUADBAND UNLOCKED GSM PHONE (BLACK M

They have the check marked in stock.

I am waiting for T mobile. They have the 16gb for outright price of $639. I figure the 32 out right price will be $740.., or since I am hot in the pants, I might just swing for the $825.. ;)

I'll respond. They will only stock (in 2 weeks) the international model in 32/64GB, which is not 4G LTE.

Concerning "Wait for a larger storage model":
With Samsung's latest press release, Samsung defends 16GB S4's mere 8GB of usable storage | CNET UK, in addition to no one at Samsung USA having any information at all on 32 or 64GB models on any US carrier, I get the strong feeling that Samsung has no plans to release a 32 or 64GB model of the S4. Edit: AT&T claims it will offer 32GB on May 10th... what a relief.

Last edited:

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thats ph_q__n insane! Short of the wealthy anyone who would pay $825 or $925 for a phone no matter how smart it is has some serious gotta have it issues... In my broke azz opinion anyway.

I'm going to have to wait for my upgrade and the S5 in 2014. :mad:

I'll be hate'n on ya'll till then... If I don't stroke out first! :eek:

Submitted VIA Subspace

Well, first off, you are not the only "broke azz" out there!!:)

This is the way I was looking at it. I had made my mind up and set aside money to buy the S4 from T Mobile outright. That would be $639 for the 16gb version. However, after reading this threads, the smart play is to get the 32gb version. With that said, most likely T Mobile will sell the 32gb
verison for about $739.. So, now I have gone from $640 to $740. However, they don't have it in stock. If this vendor has it in stock, that ponying up the extra $90 to make the $835, get the phone. Still thinking...My wife, son, all told me I was crazy.. Well, we only passing this way one time..:D

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't taken for 6.85 GB, plus I stepped up to the plate on a 32gb so I would have move then 9.15 GB of space. Thinking I'm irate made me chuckle. Thanks! Enjoy your 9.15 GB phone.

You're right. You were only "taken" for 3-4 GBs. Enjoy not understanding what "formatted space may be less" means.

The S3 only came with 11 GB and I don't remember hearing any controversy over that. Probably because anyone who uses devices with flash storage knows to expect that you're not getting that full amount. So there's a 2 GB difference from the S3 to the S4 in their 16 GB versions and its the end of the world apparently.

Now I know what iPhone users feel like.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If you could access 80% or even 70% of the advertised memory that's one thing. But you end up with 44% less space than they lead you to believed you have. With the increase in size of OS images and preinstalled apps they need to stop making it sound as if you have 16 gigs of usable space is all I'm saying. I'm not talking about some random feature of the phone we're talking about how they sell the device to consumers.

How would you feel if their marketing said it has a 1.9 MHz quad core but you find you only have the ability to reach 56% of that rated speed. Would it be okay if the said in super fine print on the box "processor speed will be less"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Except it doesn't advertise anywhere that the 16gb is able to be used. As a matter of fact, it advertises exactly the opposite.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You're right. You were only "taken" for 3-4 GBs. Enjoy not understanding what "formatted space may be less" means.

The S3 only came with 11 GB and I don't remember hearing any controversy over that. Probably because anyone who uses devices with flash storage knows to expect that you're not getting that full amount. So there's a 2 GB difference from the S3 to the S4 in their 16 GB versions and its the end of the world apparently.

Now I know what iPhone users feel like.

There was talk about it then too but you were too busy playing with your iPhone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No it doesn't, it only has 2gb of memory, and supposedly 16gb of storage, but apparently that isn't really

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't say 16gb of ram, so...

It had 16gb. That is not debateable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2