Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Who needs more than 10gb storage only for apps?

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Apps (especially games) can add up pretty quickly. When you factor in updates over time, it's not much space at all. The eventual keylime pie update for example should be pretty sizable.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Also I believe when apps start actually using dual and quad cores, their size will shoot up.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just six EA and Gameloft games will eat that storage up, not counting other apps on the device. If not a gamer, I agree. BTW, there is no eve 10Gb. It is 9GB. If you fill all the space up apps can not update, so at least 500mb needs to be free always.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Lawsuit?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

If Samsung were more savvy, they would have responded, "For customers wanting more app storage, we are offering to larger sizes to our retail partners". That way, they throw the whole thing into the carriers laps and would pressure them to offer bigger sizes. Instead, Samsung went weird and also mislead customers assuming now (per Samsung) that an sd card will fix all the storage issues. Pure stupid.

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Also I believe when apps start actually using dual and quad cores, their size will shoot up.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The app size is really more determined by the resolution it supports than the threads it uses. Unfortunately the higher the res the more space we need.

I don't know why people are so surprised, you want all these cool features but don't want them to take up space? I am sure there will be some nice clean roms soon that are much smaller.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, seems the same quest for space the G1 had now is passed on to the S4. People that normally do not root will probably try on the S4. Still will only be a fraction of the users and the rest will be stuck. Hoping the bad PR helps the pressure to release 32gb version by carriers- Verizon as example.

The G1/S4 comparison fits, in correlation to average app sizes now for games and social media apps. The average size now for those apps (installed with data) is larger than the actual G1 storage size.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It's clearly a rip-off and I'm fairly certain there'll be a law-suit. They could at least have given all the customers an 8gb card. That would have upped the total storage to the 16gb they're advertising.

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep, seems the same quest for space the G1 had now is passed on to the S4. People that normally do not root will probably try on the S4. Still will only be a fraction of the users and the rest will be stuck. Hoping the bad PR helps the pressure to release 32gb version by carriers- Verizon as example.

The G1/S4 comparison fits, in correlation to average app sizes now for games and social media apps. The average size now for those apps (installed with data) is larger than the actual G1 storage size.

The worst part is they locked the boot loader :/ Makes it even harder for mid-level android users to want to flash new roms.

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is fooling their customers, the statement hides several facts... The company is dodging the claim instead of addressing it. In HTC we trust!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's clearly a rip-off and I'm fairly certain there'll be a law-suit. They could at least have given all the customers an 8gb card. That would have upped the total storage to the 16gb they're advertising.

Yeah, there won't be a lawsuit. Especially because the box states plain as day 'actual formatted capacity is less'.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jmacphee03

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Where is the sd card. Not getting it through sprint. If you could save apps to the card it would not be a bigdeal, but you cannot. That needs to be fixed. That would solve the problem.

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Nothing like buying a phone and knowing before what storage you would get and then whining about it.
Me thinks peoole just like to b++ch and moan about anything.
Why keep buying these storage deficient phones if they don't serve your needs? Oh cause you can't live without it. :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If we were talking about the iPhone and they were selling 16gb phones and had only 8-9gb available, everyone here would be saying how lame it is and laughing them and say it's really an 8gb system. Well... it is lame that Samsung did it and quietly trying to get away with it. If it were only 5-6 gb of free space then I don't think there would be any argument that people are being shortchanged memory and I don't think Samsung is that stupid... I mean all their fancy new photo and video features have to take a ton of space and over time it's going to fill up and you're not going to have space to film Timmys baseball game. BUT, they pushed it and seemed to believe that 8-9 was acceptable to the bean counter and push it through.

What's really lame will be that Samsung will come out with a 32gb variant... maybe a 64gb variant... and they will charge a premium over the 16gb version when 32 should have been standard and not an extra charge.

I'm still rocking my 16gb N4 and only had it a short time and still having fun with it but have been eyeing the S4 and One. I have a fair amount of apps, a few songs and pics, a few videos like recording my daughters piano concertos and those are big files... and I still have 9gb free on my N4... and thats with nova 3 installed and just checked that sucker is 1.88gb! If I got a 16gb S4 and installed my Moga Controller and installed Nova 3... just that one app alone I'd be down to 6-7gb lol.

If Samsung were more savvy, they would have responded, "For customers wanting more app storage, we are offering to larger sizes to our retail partners". That way, they throw the whole thing into the carriers laps and would pressure them to offer bigger sizes. Instead, Samsung went weird and also mislead customers assuming now (per Samsung) that an sd card will fix all the storage issues. Pure stupid.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The people that this affects (people who play a lot of games on their phones) probably wouldn't have bought the 16 GB version anyways. If you've bought a smartphone before, you'd know that you never get the full amount of space as they do tell you that the amount of formatted space is less on the box. It is a few more GBs than normal, but hardly anything to create this much vitriol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just came back from Best Buy and played checked out the S4s on display... they all had 7.65 storage available... and they only had a few demo apps like angry birds and at most a few pics in the gallery. come on... 7.65 gb is a joke. Otherwise I really liked the S4... the screen to me was bright and vivid... the plastic didnt turn me off as much as i thought and the fake metal trim felt good. crazy slim and light. And the camera looked to be great.

That hover over feature is pretty cool lol... wonder if it took a gb of space to implement lol.

I really don't know what I will do when my contract runs out on the 7th.... but I certainly know, for me, I will not buy a 16gb variant of the S4 with around 8 gb of free space.

The people that this affects (people who play a lot of games on their phones) probably wouldn't have bought the 16 GB version anyways. If you've bought a smartphone before, you'd know that you never get the full amount of space as they do tell you that the amount of formatted space is less on the box. It is a few more GBs than normal, but hardly anything to create this much vitriol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That is the rub, since a card will not fix the app storage space issue.