So, why didn't you chose the HTC ONE but instead...

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I got to test drive the one and it does have its good qualities but it came down to: only to capacitive buttons, the HTC logo doesn't do anything. The unresponsive of the two buttons. My beats headphones didn't work properly with the one. Sound quality through my headphones are a lot better in my s4. Blink feed is not removal and flip board is just as good. And finally the one is too big and bulky with a smaller screen.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
- Removable Battery
- I NEED a MicroSD Card slot
- Camera features (I take a lot of pics)
- Exynos Processor
- Coming from a GS3 which I liked, I didn't want to switch to something else

I also tried the One and it felt too small in my hand

guitardoc64

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
- Removable Battery
- I NEED a MicroSD Card slot
- Camera features (I take a lot of pics)
- Exynos Processor
- Coming from a GS3 which I liked, I didn't want to switch to something else

I also tried the One and it felt too small in my hand

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Well, It has the Qualcomm processor but I agree. The One also has sharp edges. It just didn't feel comfy. I also personally don't like the UI. I find the sense version on there looks like a blend of Sense, windows phone and iPhone. I came drom an EVO 3D and I like that it's also lightweight. I don't feel like I'm carrying a brick around.

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
All in all both phones are very similar feature wise. For me the main attraction of the HTC one was the Zoe camera feature. It's pretty cool and almost makes it so you can always catch the perfect shot. After looking at the phone I realized while its a cool feature I just don't take enough pics to really make choose a HTC phone over a proven vendor like Samsung. That and its on 4.1.2...who knows if it will get 4.2.2 anytime soon. While the SG4 does not have a similar zoe feature it just takes better overall pictures and it's already on 4.2.2. After getting my SG4 I would say I am very happy with my choice.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Well, It has the Qualcomm processor but I agree. The One also has sharp edges. It just didn't feel comfy. I also personally don't like the UI. I find the sense version on there looks like a blend of Sense, windows phone and iPhone. I came drom an EVO 3D and I like that it's also lightweight. I don't feel like I'm carrying a brick around.

I have the Unlocked version with the Exynos Processor :p

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
SD Card
Removable battery
I dislike that the One has that odd shaped back that makes the phone rock back and forth when sitting flat on a desk.
We have 2 Samsung tablets in our house.
I also really dislike the One's button layout. Horrible layout in my opinion.
Overall I find the S4 to be a much better put together phone.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the HOX and that was a great phone (minus a few BT and WIFI issues). I went with the S4 even though I dislike TW because of the following reasons:

HTC doesn't upgrade their software in a reasonable time frame. Last year the S3 got JB months before the HOX. One users better be willing to ride out the software version they have for at least a year.

HTC screwed up the captive buttons on the One. Sorry that is not how Android works with only 2 buttons and you can tell because using them is awkward as hell and not intuitive at all. The time I spent on the One was awful, can't tell you how many times I hit the HTC logo trying to go home. Launching Google Now or recent apps just did not flow and sucked.

The app drawer in Sense sucks as well, stupid arrangement going back to the GB days.

Sense 5 is a step back with blink feed etc. Sense 4 was better IMOP.

The camera is OK if you are 21 and like to take pictures at the club in dark settings. Should have been 8 instead of 4 with the ultra pixels, that would have been a great camera.

The buttons are way to flush for no reason other then for HTC to show they could. The power button on the left is bad design choice. The feel of the phone is okay in your hand, but feels awkward for one handed operation. The S4 is lighter and much more comfortable to use. Even though the S4 is a 5 inch screen feels like a much smaller device and is easy to use with one hand.

The premium feel or materials didn't overly impress me enough to over look all the faults with the One. It's no iPhone no matter what the tech sites want you to believe.

Samsung is at least trying to add features and expand on Android in a way that adds value to the phone. Regardless if you use them or not it's nice knowing that they are there. Plus if Samsung releases the SDK for air view etc, then we could see developers come up with some great new ideas. To me that is what I love about Android verses iOS.

Screen wise it's a toss up. Samsung did a great job on this screen and has shored up most of the weaknesses of a S AMOLED the biggest being whites not really looking white. The S4 has truer whites then the One. Now if Samsung could make the S AMOLED as bright as an LCD then it would be no contest with deep blacks.

S Health for me is a great feature and one I use everyday. Just waiting on the S band or whatever it's called. Accessories for the S4 are way better then for the One.

If I can think of anything else I will post later.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
SD Card and Removable battery. Plus, I'm switching to Verizon and we still don't even know if they will ever get it or not.

This will by my first non-HTC phone. I had the HTC G1 and now have the HTC Sensation. I would have loved to have stuck with HTC, but the battery killed it for me.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

txtoast

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Removal battery and expandable storage are the main reasons.

I think the GS4 is a slick looking device and I prefer it's plastic to the One's aluminum.

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The two main reasons for me not going with the One is the fact that I would have to leave Verizon and the two button soft key layout that they went with.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Follow-up EDIT:
Eight "Editors" here ALL CHOSE the HTC ONE!
Samsung Galaxy S 4 or HTC One? Which Is the Best? | Pocketnow

Biased?

EDIT:

Here is another VS. review of both smartphones:
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com

Samsung Galaxy S4 over HTC One
?Bigger screen; works with gloves and air gestures
?Higher resolution camera - 13MP vs. 4MP
?Newer Android version - 4.2.2 vs. 4.1.2
?Multi-window multitasking
?Higher clock speed chipset
?Expandable storage
?User-replaceable battery of higher capacity
?Additional sensors (barometer, thermometer, hygroscope)
?Exclusive software features
?Smaller, thinner, lighter

HTC One over Samsung Galaxy S4
?Brilliant-looking aluminum unibody
?Optical Image Stabilization, image sensor with 2?m pixel size
?HTC Zoe, BlinkFeed
?Front mounted stereo speakers, Beats Audio
?FM Radio

Looking at the two lists above, you'd thing the Samsung Galaxy S4 has the upper hand. It's not that simple - not all bullet points have the same weight. For example, we'll take the sleek aluminum unibody over a hygroscope any day of the week. And the megapixel debate for the two cameras will probably take a huge chunk of this article to resolve.

But let's look at the schools of thought behind the two phones. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is the power user's heaven with settings, tweaks and toggles scattered all over the place - with all the proper hardware support too. TouchWiz is familiar and intuitive enough so regular users will not be lost, but they might miss out on some of the more exotic features of the Galaxy S4.

The HTC One is quite the opposite - it aims to make things simple. Zoe looks impressive, but require nothing of the user, it's all done automagically. The Optical Image Stabilization and Beats Audio similarly work behind the scenes to enhance the experience.

Anyway, let's take this one step at a time. Just one important note before we let the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 off the leash. The Samsung flagship in this shootout is the I9505 version, the one powered by a Snapdragon 600.

Conclusion

By now you should have formed an opinion of which phone you like better - each had moments where it shined and got overshadowed elsewhere. The truth is that this will be one of the most exciting fights in the premium segment this season. Yes, the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One are targeting the same market but will end up in the hands of completely different people. And it will be decided by the subtlest of differences. The blessing and the curse of being a flagship.

The HTC One is perhaps easier to define - not least because a premium device has a matching premium feel. That along with features like Beats Audio and BlinkFeed will probably make the HTC One a favorite among the young crowd. Facebook and Twitter don't care much for multi-megapixel images anyway, so OIS and Zoe can really make all the difference there. Plus, the aluminum unibody is a fashion accessory for any occasion.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 on the other hand seems like it couldn't care less about looks. This is in a way a stronger statement than the exquisite build and finish of its rival. Samsung want to show that it's the essence that matters and overall the Korean flagship certainly has more going for it than its rival.

You see the Samsung Galaxy S4 won more of the key battles today - screen (bigger, slightly better quality), software (newer, more options, better performance) and still camera. It may have lost elsewhere, but it was never a distant second.

The HTC One on the other hand emerged on top in the video recording, music and social networking categories, but those were all narrow victories. And its still camera was really nowhere near the level of the Samsung Galaxy S4 13MP shooter. Ultrapixels or not, 4MP can barely rival 2010 flagships on most occasions.

In the end, it's best if you don't just count number of victories to know which smartphone is better than this other. Instead, you should use this article as a reference - focus on the features you care about and ignore the rest. While each category has a winner and a loser, the "loser" in this shootout will be envied by most other premium phones on the market for quite some time to come. The winner? How about the one with your name on it.

Distrack

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
But instead you bought the Samsung Galaxy S4?

This thread in the HTC ONE Forum asks the reverse question:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/274605-so-why-didnt-you-chose-s4.html

So, users are explaining why they bought the ONE in the above thread....
Lets hears why you bought the GS4 over the ONE!

Important reasons:
SD card (I need my 20 gig of music)
Removable Battery
Power button (prefer on the side)
Home button (prefer a real button)

Less important reasons:
Pitch Black of the amoled screen
HTC One iFixit score (yes, I repair cellphones)
I dropped my S3 twice in the last 10 months, I dont think I would like this to happen with the HTC One.
Gorillas Glass 3 (SGS4) vs Gorillas Glass 2 (HTC One)

What I like from the One:
Wolfson Audio chip
Cheaper: $650 for a 32Gb (or even $550 if you have an old phone to trade)

Last opinion:
HTC One is a *beep* boring phone.