05-09-2014 11:42 AM
75 123
tools
    It's really irritating when someone points out a problem with X app and people say the solution is to ignore X and just use Y. This is not a solution. The solution to the Samsung Keyboard not autocorrecting on AT&T is not to install SwiftKey (no disrespect to them; it's a great keyboard and they deserve your money/business) or other keyboards. The solution is for Samsung to provide that very basic functionality out of the box. I just bought a new S4 only after poking around the demos and determining that auto correct actually worked on the Samsung keyboard. I was thrilled - then I got it home and the setting to make that happen wasn't available on mine. So I went back and held them up side by side - the demo unit (which turned out to be a Sprint S4) had the auto replacement option, while my brand new AT&T did not. This is very frustrating to me - I really like this phone, but Samsung really makes me mad with their software.
    Who is to say who is really to blame for this? Obviously Samsung is capable of putting it on their phones. Just like the missing optical reader in Verizon gs4s. Whose decision was that?

We come to expect all these features standard on every smartphone and then it becomes inexcusable when we get nothing more than what is actually a decent keyboard that just happens to not have autocorrect. SwiftKey may or may not be a solution. It's a workaround. Samsung right on their website claims to have developed the keyboard with SwiftKey. There are many workarounds we get to use on our phones. At least they have the capability to use them.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    06-04-2013 07:08 AM
    I installed A.I.type keyboard on my s4 because it has much more intense hypatic feedback and is easier for me to use (verizon s4).

And it has auto correct plus predictive text. See it at android market place.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums
    06-04-2013 03:40 PM
    It really is gone from the US version. Curious as to why. I'd recommend using the stock Jelly Bean keyboard, anyways.

[APP ]Android 4.2.2 keyboard - xda-developers

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    It's because Apple is suing samsung ocer it as a patent issue. Its only included in the international version of the S4.
    06-05-2013 02:14 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utmethod.latin

Finally, stock keyboard on google play direct from google.

Of course 2 days AFTER I pay $4 for Swiftkey for my wife's S4... doh!!!
    pcunite and LoveMyPhone like this.
    06-05-2013 05:18 PM
    Does it have autocorrect?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    06-05-2013 07:32 PM
    It seems in ome cases the autocorrect feature depends on the keyboard / input language combination.

I have got a Note 2 from Korea and it had some Asian language and Samsung Chinese IME keyboard loaded.
    That keyboard accepts Asian languages as well as English input, but no French (I am french)
    If I keep this IME keyboard with English, auto correct does work.
    Idon't manage to load Frenc with this keyboard.

After I chose French as a language, I enabled Samsung keyboard.
    Then I dont find any choice to enable auto correct, or oit does not work the same way (it suggest words but does not auto correct).
    I belive there should be a way to add some linguistic pack, but I can't find.

I could use an alternative keyyboard like Swifkey or else,n ut I could not find any that does both:
    - offer auto correct
    - has a key to switch to manual input
    - provides a keyboard with both letters and figures on the same layout.

Does anyone have an idea?
    Thanks, Agnes
    08-23-2013 04:23 PM
    As someone said earlier, also missing from the Verizon version and from my U.S. wifi-only Galaxy Note 8.0.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 8.0 via Android Central App
    08-23-2013 05:35 PM
    I can't seem to find this option on my sprint S4 either

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    08-24-2013 01:29 PM
    I'm guessing since the s4 doesn't have autocorrect, 3rd party keyboards such as swiftkey bootsed in downloads. Maybe this was on purpose for this reason. I'm to cheap to pay for a keyboard so the Google keyboard is just perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-24-2013 01:49 PM
    There is no Auto Replacement to check off when I am in the Samsung Keyboard settings. Anyone else have this problem?
    08-29-2013 06:32 PM
    Samsung does not have auto correct on the stock keyboard that's one thing that is definitely frustrating.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    08-29-2013 06:51 PM
    One of the advantages of the stock keyboard over SwiftKeys is the added row for numerals. Otherwise, SwiftKeys is great.
    08-30-2013 05:16 PM
    Hello

Do you mean auto correct/auto replace by tapping the space bar (similar to iOS)? If so, it is available (I'm using this function) but it is turned off by default.

Turn it on by doing the following:
    1. Settings>My device>language and input
    2. Click the gear icon next to "Samsung keyboard"
    3. Scroll down to and long tap the words "Predictive Text". This will take you into the options.
    4. Check "Auto replacement".

That should do the trick. Hope that helps.

One thing I haven't worked out is how (if poss) to reject a suggested correction. With iOS there's a small cross next to the suggested word which you can tap to reject it.

Can't seem to do that with the s4 auto replacement space bar and predictive words bar at the top. Tapping the space bar immediately and automatically changes it to the blue predictive word, with no option to reject the blue predictive word.
    Thanks a ton! I was hating my S4 , just for keyboard. And tried swype, swiftkey, all useless. This info was really helpful.
    09-15-2013 04:53 AM
    Thanks a ton! I was hating my S4 , just for keyboard. And tried swype, swiftkey, all useless. This info was really helpful.
    Did you get that to work? Cause it's not on the ATT GS4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails No auto correct for the keyboard?-uploadfromtaptalk1379334647838.jpg  
    09-16-2013 07:30 AM
    Did you get that to work? Cause it's not on the ATT GS4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
    It's not available on any of the US variants. Only outside of the US.

09-16-2013 02:18 PM
    Swiftkey's number layout is insanely stupid. Thank god I didn't end up buying it. Uninstalled in less than a few hours.
    LoveMyPhone likes this.
    10-06-2013 12:23 AM
    I had the same problem, but this has been solved with the Android 4.3. Just update it by clicking on "settings > more > about device > software update"
    Cheers.
    11-01-2013 07:41 PM
    Hello

Do you mean auto correct/auto replace by tapping the space bar (similar to iOS)? If so, it is available (I'm using this function) but it is turned off by default.

Turn it on by doing the following:
    1. Settings>My device>language and input
    2. Click the gear icon next to "Samsung keyboard"
    3. Scroll down to and long tap the words "Predictive Text". This will take you into the options.
    4. Check "Auto replacement".

That should do the trick. Hope that helps.

One thing I haven't worked out is how (if poss) to reject a suggested correction. With iOS there's a small cross next to the suggested word which you can tap to reject it.

Can't seem to do that with the s4 auto replacement space bar and predictive words bar at the top. Tapping the space bar immediately and automatically changes it to the blue predictive word, with no option to reject the blue predictive word.
    Cannot thank you enough. I don't know if I didn't see this the first time or what, but this makes my phone perfect. By far was my #1 complaint and cannot believe this would not be the default version. Samsung is going to lose business because they didn't make this the default version, I can promise them that.

THANK YOU AGIAN!!! (would have been auto-corrected if I typed this with the S4)
    11-06-2013 09:35 AM
    Thank you, this works great. To keep a word it thinks is misspelled just tap the word before pressing space.
    11-30-2013 11:12 AM

Of course 2 days AFTER I pay $4 for Swiftkey for my wife's S4... doh!!!
    Think I'm going to have to give this one a try! Thanks!
    11-30-2013 11:53 PM
    It's not available on any of the US variants. Only outside of the US.

It is available on my US version-Sprint!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0
    01-05-2014 09:47 AM
    Think I'm going to have to give this one a try! Thanks!
    Tried it, hated it! I like have the numebers available at the top!

01-05-2014 09:50 AM
    It is available on my US version-Sprint!

Yea, after the update... At the time I posted it was not.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    01-05-2014 03:37 PM
    I started a new thread on what may be similar or same question, is there a way to enable the below?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...sted-word.html

That may sound like a simple request, but for the life of me on an old Galaxy s4 and now my s4 mini I do not see the option or have the experiance where auto correct is fixing my misspelled words. In attachment I typed "Sorry phone qas" and was hoping it would auto correct qas to was (which is an option but I have to select it in blue) How do I make it auto auto correct to the letter in blue?

Thank you,

Shane
    Attached Thumbnails No auto correct for the keyboard?-2014-02-02-14.51.40.png  
    02-02-2014 03:05 PM
    Related problem with a Note 3: If I plug in hardwired USB keyboard, Auto Correct disappears. If I use this keyboard, it works fine, though I lose the auto-correct. When I unplug it and go back to using the virtual touch screen keyboard, I expect to get Auto Correct back, but it is gone.
    1) It still shows up as configured, but it isn't available
    2) If I reboot the Note, it reappears
    05-09-2014 11:42 AM
75 123