Hi,
    I am experiencing screen banding on my brand new S4.
    When I open a white background, it displays slightly darker at the "samsung logo" side, than it does on the other side.
    (the best way to see is to turn the phone horizontally and compare the left and right side of the screen.
    Is this a normal thing?
    Can you guys see it on your S4s as well, or is it a problem with my device only?
    PS - I did this with auto brightness on, with the phone indoors. With maximum brightness, it seems to even out.
    05-05-2013 09:50 AM
    Not having any banding but I have noticed that on a solid white background with the brightness turned way down the very bottom of the screen is slightly brighter than the rest. This is because the light source for the display is at the bottom. When turned up real bright it isnt noticible because its strong enough to be uniform throughout the display. Shouldnt have actual bands on your screen though. Its very hard to see the difference and I didnt notice it until I tested the display in an attempt to answer your question. Hope this helps

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App
    05-05-2013 11:08 AM
    Thanks for the response.
    Perhaps "banding" was not the right word. It is only a brightness non-uniformity issue.
    It's interesting that you have the same result from your s4. I'd be interested to see if a your else has this issue because I'd hate to go through all the have of exchanging the device if a new one will have the same "issue"?
    05-05-2013 11:21 AM
    Its not an issue, its standard in most if not all mobile displays. My One X did it as well. The light source is at the bottom of the display so it only makes sense that the bottom of the display will be slightly brighter. As stated before, its negligible above 50% brightness. It should be slight, if you have a major difference in uniformity you may have an actual issue.

05-05-2013 11:56 AM
    It doesn;t do it on my Motorola Razr I (which also has an Amoled screen). Maybe it is only the bigger screens that exhibit this issue.

Please see the following pics and tell me if your appears like this too:
    Imageshack - 22489420.jpg
    Imageshack - 55105928.jpg

(The left of each picture is where is gets darker from the right hand side)
    05-05-2013 01:10 PM
    I can see the darkness on the left side. It appears a little darker than mine. However, this isnt a very accurate way to check bc im not seeing your display the way you see it. Im seeing it the way my display is displaying it... if that makes sense. The best thing to do is go to your local AT&T store and compare it to the demo. If yours is worse, exchange it.

05-05-2013 01:47 PM
    Not having any banding but I have noticed that on a solid white background with the brightness turned way down the very bottom of the screen is slightly brighter than the rest. This is because the light source for the display is at the bottom. When turned up real bright it isnt noticible because its strong enough to be uniform throughout the display. Shouldnt have actual bands on your screen though. Its very hard to see the difference and I didnt notice it until I tested the display in an attempt to answer your question. Hope this helps

Amoled displays don't have a backlight like LCD panels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2013 02:08 PM
    Hi,
    I am experiencing screen banding on my brand new S4.
    When I open a white background, it displays slightly darker at the "samsung logo" side, than it does on the other side.
    (the best way to see is to turn the phone horizontally and compare the left and right side of the screen.
    Is this a normal thing?
    Can you guys see it on your S4s as well, or is it a problem with my device only?
    PS - I did this with auto brightness on, with the phone indoors. With maximum brightness, it seems to even out.
    Yes. I had the same problem. I went and returned it. The new device has awesome display. I compared them side by side Nd the difference was quite startling. It appears there is a big variety in display quality. I would recommend to change it.

Osho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2013 03:56 PM
    My screen has a pink hue on the bottom above the buttons, it is very annoying... hopefully I can get it exchanged soon
    05-05-2013 05:09 PM