Does the galaxy S4 overheat?

Rohan Yadav

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung after sales service in INDIA is pathetic..
Go to service center all they do is just update the software and nothing else
BTW I have a screen shot for the temp showing 60*C

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to getting my first android phone after playing with my friend's note2. I got over the issue of getting a inferior version of the phone compared to the one Korean got for similar price.

Recently, i read the news and it said the phone overheats. I asked my friend who traveled back to Asia to bring back an exynos version of the s4 because i dont use data so i prefer a octa-core over LTE.

It seems like most of the overheating issue occurs on the octa-core version due to poor optimization, use of material and poor design.

How is everyone's s4? Does it overheat? Which version of the phone do you have?

I'm abit worried cuz if i did get a s4 from oversea, i cannot refund/exchange if anything goes wrong.

Please share your experiences ty.

Why would you buy a phone that you've read is prone to overheating without a warranty? My advice? Get the American version. It might not have the octa-core processor but what it does have is a warranty! I'm sorry but deep down inside there's a part of me that hopes you do buy it then it overheats and you get on here so I can say "I told you so!"..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

udassani

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:Samsung S4 overheat while talking

I bought S4 yesterday and once the phone was ready to use after inserting my sim card, i just dialed my friend to ensure that the phone is working fine. I could not talk to him for even a minute as the phone got little warmer near the ear, i showed it to the store incharge and he agreed and after talking to some samsung officer he took the phone back and gave me another new phone. The second phone also had the same problem and the store keeper accepted the problem and took back the phone on getting confirmation from samsung staff. I have already paid and now the store incharge is saying that he will get the phone from different lot as this complete lot may have some problem.

Just want to confirm does anybody else faced such problem and shall i go for the S4 or ask the store incharge to refund or replace with some other phone.

Thanks
Udesh

mcbklyn

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung S4 overheat while talking

I bought S4 AT&T US last week.
When using Camera or GPS and Navigation system phone heats up to the point that it's uncomfortable to hold it.
I called AT&T Support and they told me that this might be a problem with battery (not the phone/CPU itself).

Anybody was successful with fixing heating problem by replacing battery?

Sharan621

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ummm, my partner just got the S4 (I9505 Snapdragon for anyone technical) a few days ago from the S3 which we both had and he gave me the S4 yesterday. It's a gorgeous phone and I love the features and design but it's been overheating today so I decided to look up if anyone else is having this issue. :-\

From what I have read, on a couple of different forums, there are a lot of S4s overheating and it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the battery. As with mine, the overheating is around the camera area. I think it's a fault on the phone and the overheating is causing my battery to drain too. My partner was using it for the past few days and had no issues with it so I'm going to keep a check on it over the next 2-3 days and, if it's still playing up with me, I'm taking it straight back to the shop next week.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You are wrong! At least several people have stated the S4 never gets hot..... It has found a way in spite of the same fabrication process of the S3, to be faster and push over twice the pixels and runs cooler than the S3. The two hotter running S4 units I tested were my imagination and ditto for yours.

On a more serious side, the S3, DNA, iPhone 4, 5, Razr HD, etc and yes, even the coveted S4 gets hot. The Qualcomm 800 and similar lower fab chips should usher in less heat, but they will STILL run hot. The reason is the new chips run even faster, so nulls the better fabrication process. LTE though should see a slight improvement.... Unless using the new super fast LTE.

Alan Sims

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to android after having BlackBerry for years. Loving my S4 i9505. It is the best phone I've used so far. Phone does overheat while playing games for long periods. Phone is beautiful and I'm very happy with it.

Posted via Android Central App

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My phone does get warm but every phones get warm. But if you are referring force shutting down by overheating, then no. Mine doesn't. AT&T 1337 model made in korea.

Posted via Android Central App

RG13

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My phone gets hot as well near the camera in the back and also the screen gets hot.
so my question is are your phones also getting hot in the front (screen)?

Binkmeister

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I got a Galaxy S4 about two weeks ago, and it never overheated until yesterday, when I launched Skype. I let Skype remain in the background, and I noticed the battery was draining quickly, so I recharged it but it became very hot - not just around the camera area, but all over the device. I unplugged it, and it stayed hot and the battery went down extremely quickly. So I turned the device off for a few hours, let it cool off, and restarted it... no heat. I recharged and it did not become hot again. It's now fully charged and cool to the touch, without Skype running. I'm uninstalling Skype, as that seems to be the only thing that made my phone hot.

chloeshotmom

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

I bought S4 AT&T US last week.
When using Camera or GPS and Navigation system phone heats up to the point that it's uncomfortable to hold it.
I called AT&T Support and they told me that this might be a problem with battery (not the phone/CPU itself).

Anybody was successful with fixing heating problem by replacing battery?

I called ATT this morning and they will send me a new battery. They dont replace phone. Lets see if it works. Mine is extremely hot when on call. In 3 minutes you cant even put the phone in your ear.

Binkmeister

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Just an update on overheating... I removed Skype from my phone and it's been working fine with no overheating for the last 2 months.

Jason Hutchinson

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
SAME HERE WITH THE EAR THING!!! And this is in 2014!!! I just received a free S4 update from switching from Alltell to AT&T.. The phone gets up to 60C just in calls and litterally burns my cheek..... WHY TF HASNT THIS PROBLEM BEEN FIXED YET!!!!! AND WHY DO 85% OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM OFFER NO GOD DAMN SOLUTION!? HALF OF EM SAY "OH YEA THATS NOT NORMAL" NO SH*T ITS NOT NORMAL!!!!!!! ANY SOLUTIONS!?!?!?!?!??!!

toober

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
SAME HERE WITH THE EAR THING!!! And this is in 2014!!! I just received a free S4 update from switching from Alltell to AT&T.. The phone gets up to 60C just in calls and litterally burns my cheek..... WHY TF HASNT THIS PROBLEM BEEN FIXED YET!!!!! AND WHY DO 85% OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM OFFER NO GOD DAMN SOLUTION!? HALF OF EM SAY "OH YEA THATS NOT NORMAL" NO SH*T ITS NOT NORMAL!!!!!!! ANY SOLUTIONS!?!?!?!?!??!!
What do you expect forum members to do exactly? Saying it isn't normal for your phone to get that hot is pretty much saying you need to either find out if there is an app taxing the processor causing it to overheat or take it in to your carrier and tell them to give you one that does not overheat like that. If you want a solution to the phone burning your face, I have one for you. BUY A HANDS FREE DEVICE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15