At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution

obrobb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
:) Update!!!!!

Problem was MY old Imessage account and the fact that my wife still has an iphone that uses the same apple id that we used to share. I had wiped my old iphone but apparently that wasn't enough. When I got the s4, group imessages were still going to my imessage account wherever that was. I was getting individual texts alright but not group responses from imessage users.

So all I had to do was change the password on the appleid account from itunes and that seemed to do the trick. I think the password change disabled imessage on my old iphone (that I had already sold) account. At the same time it still allowed my wife to keep the apple id that we shared and all of the purchases that we had made with it. Now all group messages are working in the s4 stock app and not disappearing into imessages or icloud or whatever. Thank you all who helped.

I never thought that this was even a concern when I switched from iphone to s4. :(

Here is my issue...
  • Can send group messages
  • When receiving replies from group messages, they come back from individuals.
  • I am not part of the group conversation.

What I have tried...
stock Messaging app, AT&T Messages app, Handcent SMS, Go SMS Pro, GroupMe

What I would like to do...
  • Basically, send and receive group messages like my old iphone.
  • The group should be able to include people using any device and any carrier.
  • In a messaging app, select several people (without creating a group somewhere), and send one group message to all of them. Then when one of them replies, I would receive the message as part of the group (not an individual email). I could then reply and the message would be sent out to the entire group once again. In this way it will work more like a conversation amongst the people in the group.

If anyone out there has made this happen, please take the time to share the solution. Also, please use simple steps because either I am a complete moron or this is a very difficult process or perhaps both of these. I have heard of people making this work with some of the apps I mentioned above. If it is possible with one of those apps, please list the step by step process to set it up. Thank you.

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Do u have this setting on? It's in the stock messaging settings

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367791508752.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367791508752.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 107

Timback

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't have it set up correctly, mine works perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

obrobb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I do have that setting on. It allows me to send a group message. The problem is that I do not receive any replies at all when Group Messaging is checked.

obrobb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You don't have it set up correctly, mine works perfectly.

That is wonderful. Can you support that claim with a screenshot showing a group messaging thread that you sent/received/sent? If so, would you mind sharing how yours is set up correctly?

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have go sms and it it works with all my iPhone friends. Here is the setting you need to select

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367792205668.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367792205668.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 84

obrobb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have go sms and it it works with all my iPhone friends. Here is the setting you need to select

Texas, thank you. I just tried that and am having the same issue. My wife received the group text on her iphone and responded to the group. I did not get the response. Is there another setting that I'm missing?

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
On stock I have group messaging, auto retrieve and push messages boxes selected and nothing else. No notifications or anything. In go sms I have message grouping selected. Also make sure gosms set as your default messaging app
I am attaching some pics of go sms settings and a pic of a group message to show you it works

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367794133616.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367794133616.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 73
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367794145252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367794145252.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 82
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367794153902.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367794153902.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 857

Jesse111579

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem! I think it has to do with iMessage. If the group I am having trouble with (2 iPhone users and my GS4) turn their iMessages off, I can group text with them. If its on, they get my text but I don't get their replies. Both stock and GoSMS have this issue.

I love this phone and have been able to troubleshoot every problem but this one! It's kind of like a final frontier for me...if I can get this to work, I will have found the perfect phone! Oh, and I now despise iMessage because of this!

obrobb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again texas. I tried all that. No luck. Any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

uploadfromtaptalk1367803551637.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367803578433.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367803611458.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367803630968.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367803651522.jpg

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Let me good at all my settings. I'll get back in just a bit I promise it will work but the settings have to be just right

obrobb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Jesse, you nailed it. The problem was not my phone but rather imessage on tge other phones. They turned off imessage and everything is cool now.

So I guess now I have to add
Please turn off imessage before responding to group
Before every group message I send.

Imessage is all bad.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Jesse, you nailed it. The problem was not my phone but rather imessage on tge other phones. They turned off imessage and everything is cool now.

So I guess now I have to add
Please turn off imessage before responding to group
Before every group message I send.

Imessage is all bad.

Are you using Stock texing for group messaging?

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok my friends all have I message and it works for me. The apps I have to make it most like iPhone are
Go sms and glow fly

First go to your phome settings and into application manager. Select your stock messaging app and make sure notifications are set to off and it shouldn't be set to default for anything once all settings are finished. Attached pic to show

Stock messenger settings
Make sure to check group messaging
Check auto retrieve
Check push messages

Go sms settings
Under basic tab
Click default option and make sure go sms is default for both view and send

Under advanced tab
Check message grouping
Under emoji encoding select iPhone/softbank
Check use default picture viewer

Send settings
Check mms group chat
Check enable animation while sending

Receive settings
Check disable other messaging notifications
Check push messages

Install glowfly
Go into settings and
Check pop up enabled
Select a ring tone or notification you want check notify on call
Select vibrate
Check blink led

Do not use the pop up or notifications on go sms. I only have checked what I wrote and that's it. You will see in the pics no notifications or defaults set on stock messaging but on go sms. You can also search play store and download the emoji add on fro go sms and have iPhone emoji. Hope it works. I had it working on my s3 and now my galaxy s4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367809247671.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367809247671.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 51
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367809265891.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367809265891.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 55

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I think he's talking about the att messages app. It puts your visual voice mail and messages all together. It interferes with your messenger app so if you want visual voice mail go for the actual visual voice mail app and not the att messages app

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem! I think it has to do with iMessage. If the group I am having trouble with (2 iPhone users and my GS4) turn their iMessages off, I can group text with them. If its on, they get my text but I don't get their replies. Both stock and GoSMS have this issue.

I love this phone and have been able to troubleshoot every problem but this one! It's kind of like a final frontier for me...if I can get this to work, I will have found the perfect phone! Oh, and I now despise iMessage because of this!
Don't think it's an iMessage problem because dimes save just sends and recieved text via wifi not sms over other iPhone iOS 6 users

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really understand your response? For those of you having issues do you still have your iPhones? If so make sure to shut your imessage feature off or else you will still receive messages on your iPhone via imessage.