05-06-2013 06:36 PM
26 12
tools
    I've been reading a bunch of stuff about people having battery issues like going to bed with full battery and waking up with 20%?
    I took my phone off the charger at 9:30 last night it's 10:26 now and I've played a few games of castle tower Defense, ran pandora on the 20 minute drive and back to drop my brother off at school and I've lost about 45 percent now so I'd say that's pretty good I use juice defender and make sure all my programs are off but it can't make that much of a difference. I don't know how people are having problems maybe I'm just lucky?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    05-06-2013 10:31 AM
    No issues here. I just went over 24 hours without a charge and still had about 30% left.
    RawisTheGameHhH likes this.
    05-06-2013 10:50 AM
    @archer75...what carrier do you have?
    05-06-2013 11:06 AM
    I've been reading a bunch of stuff about people having battery issues like going to bed with full battery and waking up with 20%?
    I took my phone off the charger at 9:30 last night it's 10:26 now and I've played a few games of castle tower Defense, ran pandora on the 20 minute drive and back to drop my brother off at school and I've lost about 45 percent now so I'd say that's pretty good I use juice defender and make sure all my programs are off but it can't make that much of a difference. I don't know how people are having problems maybe I'm just lucky?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    I had 100% charge on my s4 on friday morning at 7am. By noon with light usage and majority of the features(gps wifi bluetoth air gestures) turned off, my battery was down to a dismal 42% by noon. By the time it was 5pm, it was down to 10%. I was hardly using the fone since I was at work. My battery usage details showed that the screen was taking up 81% of my battery . I went back to at&t on saturday and they gave me a new handset. I have been on this handset for 1.5 hrs now and the battery has gone down to 82%. This is so so disapointing seeing the sort of battery life other people on this forum are getting. I dont know whats wrong with 2 brand new handsets. Also last night my screen usage randomly went down to 48% which is the lowest I have seen it go so far. I have not even started using this phone to its full capacity and this is the state of my battery life

Update: After 8 hours of usage, my phone is pretty much about to die. 17%. Also, the applications that are shown in this picture are NOT running in the background. I closed them, but the battery usage refresh is not picking that up for some reason.

This is my second handset from the same store...I'm starting to think that store is sitting on a batch of crap handsets.
    05-06-2013 11:10 AM
    @archer75...what carrier do you have?
    AT&T
    05-06-2013 11:12 AM
    Me too...I dont know whats going on with 2 new handsets....this is crazy..could you post screenshots of your battery screen? My phone was charging last night and when i saw my battery usage when i woke up, the screen was 80% of usage. How is that possible when the screen was off for 8 hours.....

so frustrated....
    05-06-2013 11:22 AM
    How many LTE bars do you have and which state did you get your phone in?
    05-06-2013 11:28 AM
    How's your network coverage? Remember that LTE drains your battery more than 3G/HSPA+, especially if your LTE signal is low. If you wanna test this out, change your phone's setting to only connect to 3G network, not 4G and see if that makes a difference.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-06-2013 11:28 AM
    Here's my most recent screen shot. I use my phone to listen to podcasts to and from work. Which is only a 15 minute drive. For about 10 hours I had it in airplane mode as we are not allowed to have phones in my work that put out signals. But I turned on the pedometer and had that going for 10 hours with the phone in my pocket. Played some games off and on. Checked email and news. At night I didn't charge it just to see what would happen.

I'm in Oregon

SpookDroid and Ruchi td like this.
    05-06-2013 11:30 AM
    Thanks ! How do i do that? Sorry am an android noob
    05-06-2013 11:33 AM
    Thanks ! How do i do that? Sorry am an android noob
    Hold down home button and power button at the same time. You'll hear a click and it will save your screen shot. I then email it to myself and on my desktop I move the photo to photobucket to share.
    05-06-2013 11:38 AM
    I also am having great battery with mine. I cannot complain.

So much better than my iPhone 4S.

I browse a lot on social media _instagram,Twitter, fb etc) play games like candy crush, plants vs zombies lol. And browse web, take lots of pics, listen to music.

I'm quite happy with this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Have youbeen having battery issues?-uploadfromtaptalk1367858319187.jpg   Have youbeen having battery issues?-uploadfromtaptalk1367858329319.jpg  
    05-06-2013 11:40 AM
    I also am having great battery with mine. I cannot complain.

So much better than my iPhone 4S.

I browse a lot on social media _instagram,Twitter, fb etc) play games like candy crush, plants vs zombies lol. And browse web, take lots of pics, listen to music.

I'm quite happy with this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    What carrier, what state and hows the LTE coverage? Im big on social media and can hardly do anything on my phone because it dies in 8 hours(!)

- - - Updated - - -

How's your network coverage? Remember that LTE drains your battery more than 3G/HSPA+, especially if your LTE signal is low. If you wanna test this out, change your phone's setting to only connect to 3G network, not 4G and see if that makes a difference.
    How do I change the settings to 3G?
    Attached Thumbnails Have youbeen having battery issues?-screenshot_2013-05-06-12-47-28-1-.jpg   Have youbeen having battery issues?-screenshot_2013-05-06-12-47-37.jpg  
    05-06-2013 11:41 AM
    The biggest problem is the screen: even on ultra low light it drains the battery like mad.

The battery lasts forever when the screen is not on.
    05-06-2013 01:19 PM
    From the pictures, yeah...your signal is crappy...

To change to 3G-only, go to Settings, More Netwoks, Mobile Networks, Network Mode... There you can change to GSM/WCDMA instead of LTE/GSM/WCDMA.
    05-06-2013 01:27 PM
    No issues with my phone. Keeps a good charge all day, with some to spare by late evening.
    05-06-2013 01:28 PM
    From the pictures, yeah...your signal is crappy...

To change to 3G-only, go to Settings, More Netwoks, Mobile Networks, Network Mode... There you can change to GSM/WCDMA instead of LTE/GSM/WCDMA.
    The only options i have under mobile networks are:
    Mobile Data
    Data Roaming
    Access point names
    Network operators

There is nothing like Network mode....ugh sucks!!
    05-06-2013 01:36 PM
    Weird...which model do you have? Mine's i337 but with Telcel (Mexico) ROM, not AT&T's... I've seen the option in an international i9500 version, too... Maybe your carrier decided it wasn't good for you to tinker with that and disabled the option
    Ruchi td likes this.
    05-06-2013 01:48 PM
    What carrier, what state and hows the LTE coverage? Im big on social media and can hardly do anything on my phone because it dies in 8 hours(!)

- - - Updated - - -

How do I change the settings to 3G?
    For you have a good amount of screen time your battery isn't to bad.. The weak data hurts sure. However you can't compare yours to the "fitmom" user because her phone was on wifi.. 24/7 for those battery stats so that explains why hers was so extended.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    05-06-2013 01:50 PM
    I haven't had any issues with it. To begin with the battery life wasn't as good as expected but after using a battery Monitor and seeing which apps were using the battery I rectified the problem.

I think people are expecting the battery to last an unrealistic amount of time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-06-2013 02:03 PM
    For you have a good amount of screen time your battery isn't to bad.. The weak data hurts sure. However you can't compare yours to the "fitmom" user because her phone was on wifi.. 24/7 for those battery stats so that explains why hers was so extended.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    You are probably right, but my screen usage is totally unrealistic. 70-80% screen usage is phoney to me espcecially when my phone screen was off all night...Other people's screens are only taking up 40-50 percent of their battery usage. My phone has been on battery for 10 hours now and the charge is down to 5%...
    05-06-2013 03:53 PM
    I haven't had any issues with it. To begin with the battery life wasn't as good as expected but after using a battery Monitor and seeing which apps were using the battery I rectified the problem.

I think people are expecting the battery to last an unrealistic amount of time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    How much are you getting out of your battery life? All my features are switched off so what really then is the point of getting the much touted S4 when I cant use any of the features. The phone should atleast last a full day close to 15-16 hours with a beast of a battery like that.
    05-06-2013 03:55 PM
    Hey OP, you are going to get a lot of 1d+ pics from several users. Pay attention to those users pics. Those screenshots will show that they use the S4 as a glorified iPod TOUCH.

If you have a weak 4G in your town, you will lose a hellish amount of battery life. also, if you make phone calls, you will lose a lot of battery. You used Pandora? That requires a signal to get the data. That will kill your battery.

If you go to non fanboy sites, even go to the official Sprint forums, it's pretty much confirmed what I had feared; the S4 has a weak cell radio in it.

Oh, one more trick, most of the 1d+ users, have the screen set to auto, or all the way down, have apps that kill most of the function, and they shut off most of the stuff when not used. Like, no syncing email, airplane mode when not online, etc.

This is coming from a very jaded Ex Samsung Fanboy, with a family of ex fanboys. Wife, kids, and best friend have had every Samsung Android phone out, plus the Instincts before them.

In other words, if you use your S4 like an iPod Touch, or a dumb phone, you will get a great battery life, with 4+ hours of screen time, if you use it as a phone or internet device, your battery will suck. It's better than the S3, and much better than the S2, but that's about it.

Wait for the fangs to come out and flame me, but just look at the screen shots.... The truth is there.
    05-06-2013 05:13 PM
    It is odd that you have such high screen time but nothing in your the list would be using screen time aside form whatsapp. I'm sure you have other apps in the list if you could scroll down and take another screen shot but their amount of usage would be super low. Which makes me wonder if something is causing the screen to turn on and you aren't realizing it?
    05-06-2013 05:54 PM
    Plus disable all the pre-loaded software will save a ton of battery life
    05-06-2013 06:01 PM
26 12