Galaxy S4 - touchwiz UI RAM hog

ShinAsurada

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys, when I restart then clear ram, the OS uses 0.90/1.82 GB of the RAM.

This is crazy. When I start a chrome browser and maybe whatsapp. I'm at 1.2GB.

Chrome sometimes hog up to 400mb with only 1 tab open.

What on earth is going on with this phone?

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys, when I restart then clear ram, the OS uses 0.90/1.82 GB of the RAM.

This is crazy. When I start a chrome browser and maybe whatsapp. I'm at 1.2GB.

Chrome sometimes hog up to 400mb with only 1 tab open.

What on earth is going on with this phone?

nothing. Chrome is a ram hog, switch to the other browser if it bothers you.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
That seems to be the reason for lag if anyone sees any -- people have found the lag to disappear when they clear apps and stop services like Smartstay and whatnot.

Resource hog! =/

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately , this is the trade off with getting a touchwiz phone. You have to sacrifice performance for all the features. If you dont like it, install a custom rom or get a diff phone.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Not the case on my nexus 4. 30 tabs open and running like a champ.

You are describing two very different things. On your Nexus 4, interact with a few tabs, load some pages, and then check the RAM usage. (Tabs can be backgrounded, so they may not really use memory if it's a fresh start of Chrome.)

It should run like a champ on both the S4 and the Nexus 4, but that doesn't mean Chrome is not using RAM.

I have also been surprised at how much RAM these new phones use. When it's mostly idle, my Galaxy S III uses about 3 times total RAM available on my Galaxy S. It's just a number, though, and I've never run into problems with Android not having resources available for applications.

As they say, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately , this is the trade off with getting a touchwiz phone. You have to sacrifice performance for all the features. If you dont like it, install a custom rom or get a diff phone.

Do not agree with this post. Try running a different Home Launcher before replacing the phone. I use Apex because it does not stay in the Running Apps, it stays in the Cashed apps. I believe Nova does the same. Try it and you'll see a difference.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR Maxx HD.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Having owned the s3 (I know this is the s4, same concept) since launch I can tell you touchwiz is a ram hog. And no switching home launchers won't help, as that ram consumption comes from touchwiz specific services that run in the background.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Do not agree with this post. Try running a different Home Launcher before replacing the phone. I use Apex because it does not stay in the Running Apps, it stays in the Cashed apps. I believe Nova does the same. Try it and you'll see a difference.

Well, we see things differently, but thank you for at least being civil and not flaming me for stating my opinion.

voodoochl

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten my ram usage as low as 692 MB after shutting off the stuff I don't use like S-Voice and clearing the ram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-02-00-50-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-02-00-50-47.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 79

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
This is just wrong. I have both an S 4 and a Nexus 4, the S4 completely destroys the Nexus 4 on speed in every aspect of the phone even with touch wiz. More RAM being used is not a bad thing. I can have 55 tabs open in Chrome and multi windows on 1 screen with a 1080p video playing at the same time and still chrome performs perfect with zero lag. Stock does seem to use less resources, but not so much so that the N4 even comes close to keeping up with the S4.

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I think it's because of touchwiz, my LG Optimus g uses 1.05/1.82 now with tapatalk, chrome and messaging running.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jaylicay

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm new and don't know much about phone systems. I have Samsung Galaxy S4 and I want TouchWiz to be remove. Google will be releasing Galaxy S4 "google edition" can I update/upgrade my phone to have the system like the GS4 google edition?

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I agree the two launchers I use are apex and nova both paid versions and love them it cut down on my lag didn't completely remove it but helped I also use them on my one

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pat Ferdinandi

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 Red. I've cleared ram (twice), shut down apps with android app killer (twice), and went to each downloaded app and cleared cache (watch facebook...that keeps a lot in cache). I still have ram at 1.68/1.78gb with only wifi, sound, screen rotation, sync, powersaving, and mobile data selected. None of the fancy stuff like air gesture or smart scroll.

That is a bit high. The lowest I've seen is 1.5gb!

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz