S4 keyboard loading lag/flicker

wombat778

May 6, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago I got my first android phone after years of an iphone - an AT&T Galaxy S4.

In general, I am liking it, but there is one thing that is driving me a little bit nuts. Whenever the keyboard loads in any app (any keyboard, whether it be the Samsung stock one, Swiftkey or any other) the screen slightly flickers and it takes a second or so for the keyboard to pop up. At first I thought it must be normal, but then I went to a store and played with a demo model they had out. When opening the keyboard on the demo phone, they keyboard opened faster, with no flicker, and had a subtle animation showing it appearing rather than simply "popping" into view like it does on my phone. Note, however, that the demo phone had a message indicating that a firmware update was available but not yet applied, so maybe it was running older software than mine.

At this point, I am not sure if there is something wrong with my phone, my software, or whether this is normal. I have done a hard reset and reinstalled everything, but the problem still persists. I have also tried every combination of settings I can think of, and nothing seems to affect they keyboard lag/flicker. I have also tried enabling/disabling the various animation options in the developer settings panel to no effect.

I am hoping that others with the S4 (the AT&T model if possible) can either confirm or deny that this behavior occurs on their phones. I am still within the 14 day return policy, so if it is faulty I still have time to get a replacement. Thanks!

Vish Emson

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ya..has been happenin with mine too..generally it happens when the screen is up for a min or two...n when the screen b4ightness goes frm dim to bright..or vice versa...I had even given it for service..they updated it with the layest software itseems..but no change...I'm returning it..hoping for a replacement or a change of the display part..:(

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Might just be an issue with the phone itself. I can't really say; I use the stock 4.2.2 android keyboard instead and haven't had any issues.

grabyzz

May 30, 2013
Visit site
i also have the same problem, it's true you can't notice it when your brightness is high,but you put the brightness into auto and the power saver mode is on, then you can notice the flickering. imo, it's more to software problem, because it's only happens when the keyboard is on, if the keyboard doesn't show up, there is no flickering at all. i hope samsung release the update ASAP. btw, mine is unlocked version & i19500.

Atxelsv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
After several searches over the complete web without any clear answer I foud my real problem... It seems dropbox cause the whole problem... I disabled the option that syncronize my photos to the dropbox cloud and it really works!!!! Please try doing the same and give me a feedback... I dont know whats wrong with that service but my phone was flashing and waking up several times since I enable that option... I've been using my phone for about 3 hours without any screen flash or blink again... I hove this works for you guys... this is very anoying probblem... Regards...
A few days ago I got my first android phone after years of an iphone - an AT&T Galaxy S4.

In general, I am liking it, but there is one thing that is driving me a little bit nuts. Whenever the keyboard loads in any app (any keyboard, whether it be the Samsung stock one, Swiftkey or any other) the screen slightly flickers and it takes a second or so for the keyboard to pop up. At first I thought it must be normal, but then I went to a store and played with a demo model they had out. When opening the keyboard on the demo phone, they keyboard opened faster, with no flicker, and had a subtle animation showing it appearing rather than simply "popping" into view like it does on my phone. Note, however, that the demo phone had a message indicating that a firmware update was available but not yet applied, so maybe it was running older software than mine.

At this point, I am not sure if there is something wrong with my phone, my software, or whether this is normal. I have done a hard reset and reinstalled everything, but the problem still persists. I have also tried every combination of settings I can think of, and nothing seems to affect they keyboard lag/flicker. I have also tried enabling/disabling the various animation options in the developer settings panel to no effect.

I am hoping that others with the S4 (the AT&T model if possible) can either confirm or deny that this behavior occurs on their phones. I am still within the 14 day return policy, so if it is faulty I still have time to get a replacement. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy