Advice needed re: MMS photos!

Tikatoo

May 4, 2013
Visit site
New to Android, coming from years of iPhones. People have sent me texts with photos. Able to read the texts but unable to download the photos. I got GO SMS Pro from the Play Store but even that doesn't work.

Galaxy S4 16gb, with AT&T. Can somebody help, please?

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Try to go into the app settings and enable auto download of photos.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

Tikatoo

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, when I take a photo and try to send it via message, I get a popup that says No network connection. Mobile data is disabled. This message will be sent when mobile data is enabled.

I have to turn on 4G in my house?

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're using stock make sure auto retrieve is selected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367898130025.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367898130025.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 25

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're using go sms that still needs to be selected to pull it into go sms. I use go sms personally just because I can do more

Tikatoo

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Aye, I went there and it was already checked. Tried unchecking, rechecking and restarting the phone. Didn't work :(. Am pretty upset at the moment, taking and sending pics via message is a big part of my smartphone use. And turning on 4G in my house that has fast wifi is not going to happen, I have a limited data plan :(

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked in the settings under connections>>> data usage >>> and made sure that Mobile data is checked ???

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
My brother has a Note 2 and when I send him pictures (from iPhone 5) I have to send the picture first and then send a separate text if I want to add words. If I send words and pic at same time, the samsung converts it to some type of movie file (the way he described it) and he can't see the picture.
I can send words and text at same time to his wife's HTC One. /shrug
:confused:

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
It has to be a setting somewhere because my three best freinds have iPhone and message both me and my neighbor who has the note 2 and we all receive photos. When I first got my Samsung I kept getting links to click to see pics but after playing with all my settings I finally got it to send and receive photos normally. I would have him check his mms settings in his messaging app. There should be a box to click for mms which is what photos are.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's this. ATT users discovered this on the S3 where mobile data has to be on (regardless of wifi) to send and recieve MMS. The iPhone just uses iMessage to send the photo so it bypasses the carrier... But android is using the carrier so the carrier wants mobile data to be enabled to work.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
Have you checked in the settings under connections>>> data usage >>> and made sure that Mobile data is checked ???

Tikatoo

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I would say it's this. ATT users discovered this on the S3 where mobile data has to be on (regardless of wifi) to send and recieve MMS. The iPhone just uses iMessage to send the photo so it bypasses the carrier... But android is using the carrier so the carrier wants mobile data to be enabled to work.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Yes, that is precisely what they told me at the AT&T store this morning! They spent time sending photos between S4 phones, and they wouldn't send or receive on their wifi. Mobile data has to be turned on. But, they assured me not a lot of data will be used...we shall see. Thanks everybody for all your help and fast responses :)

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
To summarize what has been discussed here before: MMS requires mobile data to be active in order to store/retrieve the non-text portion of the message because AT&T hasn?t implemented code in their server gateway to allow it to be accessed via the public internet. Same reason Google Voice can?t do MMS. Sprint (and therefore Virgin Mobile) has the support. And as someone said the iPhone isn't using standard sms/mms. BUT on AT&T data used for MMS does *NOT* come out of your data package--it is included in your sms/mms adhoc charges or message plan. Until AT&T gets around to changing their MMS server access, if ever, you have to either leave mobile data on or go toggle it on long enough to finish the MMS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech