05-11-2013 08:03 AM
80 1234
tools
    1.5Mb internet speed is enough for most people, too. All they do is pay bills and read yahoo news. I have about 50x that speed on my home internet and sometimes I utilize its full throughput. No, I don't need it, but the choice was there and I chose it. This thread is pointless. 16GB phones are a thing of the past. 128GB phones will be a standard choice in a couple years and there will be another thread called, 'For people who say 32GB isn't enough.'. Hahah.
    05-08-2013 08:28 AM
    Seems to be a lot of continued standards being "imposed" by people that are either light app users, non gamers, cloud lovers and all combined. How hard is it for people to accept some people are light app users and others are heavy app users, as well as all in between?

If the other carriers were more forthright with 32GB options (and offered them), these threads would have a lot less traffic. Well, up until the more heavy app users find out they were duped by carrier sales staff and Samsung telling them they can put apps on the sd card. That will be interesting, since a tiny fraction read forums or tech sites.

BTW, considering phone gaming is a billion dollar industry now and the chipsets are big on 3D, seems silly to impose an opjective assertion that gaming on a phone is stupid. Then again, that might be Samsung and the carriers new push back, once some people figure out they were mislead.
    paintdrinkingpete and Wilbur like this.
    05-08-2013 08:43 AM
    Seems to be a lot of continued standards being "imposed" by people that are either light app users, non gamers, cloud lovers and all combined. How hard is it for people to accept some people are light app users and others are heavy app users, as well as all in between?

If the other carriers were more forthright with 32GB options (and offered them), these threads would have a lot less traffic. Well, up until the more heavy app users find out they were duped by carrier sales staff and Samsung telling them they can put apps on the sd card. That will be interesting, since a tiny fraction read forums or tech sites.
    Yes. Information/knowledge is power. Unfortunately, consumers have handed their power over to the carriers.
    05-08-2013 08:47 AM
    First of all......WOW! I am content with 8GB storage. Music, photos, and videos are on my SD card. All my downloaded apps and small games (6 total games) are on the phone. I don't see a need for "Gaming" on a phone, period. If I want to Game then I'll turn on my XBOX 360 and play on the big screen. I don't go to my friends' houses and play on my phone like probably most people do. I actually go to hang out. Complaining about storage on a phone is assinine. Do you not realize that with more storage comes less battery? How? Let me see.......well, you're going to need a better processor and ram to handle the larger storage.....meaning what? Ohhhhh...........more battery usage. Wait a minute...........you hear that? Complaints about poor battery performance. Never ending cycle. Here's a suggestion. Solar Powered smartphones! That would solve all the problems right there. No need to keep the battery performance in mind. Just make everything faster, smoother, better....our battery will not DIE!

All I'm saying is don't complain when it is in fact YOU who put yourself in this situation.
    So by your logic Samsung and other device makers should not make any devices with more than 8gb usable storage to reduce battery usage?

Stored data in memory does not require power. If it did you would lose all your data when the battery is pulled.

I think the people that are defending having less storage are probably people who jumped on the S4 on day one and love their phone. Now with all this talk of less storage they feel they have to defend their decision and bash other who want more storage. Maybe they will feel they made the wrong decision?

Sumsung announced they would have 32gb models when they announced the S4. Other devices come with 32gb. All I want is Samsung and Sprint to sell what I want.

If you love your phone, cool. I am waiting.
    ScottsoNJ and Wilbur like this.
    05-08-2013 08:49 AM
    More to the point, what's the cost to Samsung just to use nothing but 64GB? $18 extra dollars per device? Subtract that from the cost of engineering 31 different models of the phone and my guess is it'd be more profitable just to have one device that has 64GB only, one kind of processor and works on every network (with minor carrier tweaking for the proprietary bits).
    On this type of scale $18.00 per device is huge. As a business owner here is what I would do, charge $50.00 more for the 32GB and $100.00 more for the 64GB version. Why? because people will pay it. I also think Samsung has this profit thing figured out but will thank you for your input.
    05-08-2013 09:04 AM
    After checking my 32GB GNEX storage 24GB available so I think I would be fine with the 16GB version. But I want the 32GB version anyway, because you never know.
    05-08-2013 09:09 AM
    On this type of scale $18.00 per device is huge. As a business owner here is what I would do, charge $50.00 more for the 32GB and $100.00 more for the 64GB version. Why? because people will pay it. I also think Samsung has this profit thing figured out but will thank you for your input.
    As a business owner, you don't know squat. Samsung has no clue. Wait a second, looking through my house... 2x Sammy monitors, 2x Sammy phones, Sammy microwave, Sammy washer/dryer, Sammy tablet, 32GB Sammy microsd card and planning on a Sammy SSD for my gaming rig. Perhaps they do have something after all.
    05-08-2013 09:22 AM
    First of all......WOW! I am content with 8GB storage. Music, photos, and videos are on my SD card. All my downloaded apps and small games (6 total games) are on the phone. I don't see a need for "Gaming" on a phone, period. If I want to Game then I'll turn on my XBOX 360 and play on the big screen. I don't go to my friends' houses and play on my phone like probably most people do. I actually go to hang out. Complaining about storage on a phone is assinine. Do you not realize that with more storage comes less battery? How? Let me see.......well, you're going to need a better processor and ram to handle the larger storage.....meaning what? Ohhhhh...........more battery usage. Wait a minute...........you hear that? Complaints about poor battery performance. Never ending cycle. Here's a suggestion. Solar Powered smartphones! That would solve all the problems right there. No need to keep the battery performance in mind. Just make everything faster, smoother, better....our battery will not DIE!

All I'm saying is don't complain when it is in fact YOU who put yourself in this situation.
    While I tend to agree with you about gaming, I also admit that it is personal preference. Some folks enjoy playing games on their phone, and therefore desire a device that can support it. Also, simply having more storage isn't going to really have any effect on the processor, RAM, or battery...at least not by just "being there" -- it's all about what's actively being run on the device, and someone with 16GB can run power-consuming apps just as much those with 64GB can (though maybe not as many at the same time!).

BTW, considering phone gaming is a billion dollar industry now and the chipsets are big on 3D, seems silly to impose an opjective assertion that gaming on a phone is stupid. Then again, that might be Samsung and the carriers new push back, once some people figure out they were mislead.
    I tend to agree with this. For many, if not a vast majority of users, 16GB *is* plenty of storage, but that doesn't mean that those whose intended usage requires more storage should shunned either.

Google talks a big game about cloud storage and how you shouldn't *need* large amounts of off-line storage on your device...but then they don't have a cloud solution for those who wish to purchase and play games with very large file sizes...they don't have a solution for folks like myself who travel a lot, and don't always have network access in the subway or on an airplane -- these would be perfect opportunities for me to enjoy media on my phone, but cloud storage doesn't do me much good it I have no Internet access.

Personally, I'm actually fine with 16GB. I know this because my 16GB Galaxy S3 still have plenty of space left...but I definitely get why some folks want more.
    05-08-2013 10:27 AM
    My Verizon Droid Charge -- TWO years ago -- with a 32Gb SD card was $299. At the time I bought it Verizon had a $50 discount so I paid $249. I expect the higher prices for more internal memory for a current Galaxy S4 to be exactly what you suggested.
    05-08-2013 11:04 AM
    So by your logic Samsung and other device makers should not make any devices with more than 8gb usable storage to reduce battery usage?

Stored data in memory does not require power. If it did you would lose all your data when the battery is pulled.

I think the people that are defending having less storage are probably people who jumped on the S4 on day one and love their phone. Now with all this talk of less storage they feel they have to defend their decision and bash other who want more storage. Maybe they will feel they made the wrong decision?

Sumsung announced they would have 32gb models when they announced the S4. Other devices come with 32gb. All I want is Samsung and Sprint to sell what I want.

If you love your phone, cool. I am waiting.
    I was hoping the op was joking and not serious, since the assertions are technically asinine (ironic, isn't it?). The power draw of 8gb or 64gb is very similar, due to the actual ram chip path itself is the heavier weight of power draw, rather than the actual size. Flash operates with address gates, so are not all active unless called upon by the OS or an app. Case in point, my 128GB iPad 4 does not drain anymore battery than my previous 64GB version. My undergrad core is computer electronics, so I at least have the delusion I know what I am talking about.

The biggest draw on a phone is the display, chipset and radios- not in any stretch of logic is it the flash size. You would have to go WAY up for the weight to shift.

Added: As far as the cloud discussion, Google has stated and other content providers is that the end game for cloud is data mining and content control. "They" do not want the consumer physically having anything local. They still want your money of course, but do not like the concept of true personal ownership of content. Really. Not talking small indie parties, but the bigger ones with the lawyers on retainer or on their payroll. The cloud is like a big farm to heard us consumers into. Moooo!

BTW, our data cap loving carriers LOOOOVVVVVEEE the cloud!
    Wilbur likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:24 AM
    Google talks a big game about cloud storage and how you shouldn't *need* large amounts of off-line storage on your device...but then they don't have a cloud solution for those who wish to purchase and play games with very large file sizes...they don't have a solution for folks like myself who travel a lot, and don't always have network access in the subway or on an airplane -- these would be perfect opportunities for me to enjoy media on my phone, but cloud storage doesn't do me much good it I have no Internet access.
    Exactly. 'The Cloud' is simply the internet re-branded. It's a marketing gimmick which companies, especially Google, have a vested interest in because they stand to profit from it, which is cool. Datacenter virtualization makes this a no brainer. But, to say the 'cloud' will make physical storage obsolete is a delusion I think many companies either suffer from or peddle to their consumers. Google pushes the cloud, but the carriers punish you if you want to use it by instituting download caps. Until the year 2030 or so where there is fibre everywhere, no bandwidth caps and wireless 50Gbps saturating urban areas, the cloud (internet) simply cannot work as physical storage and 16GB phones ain't enough.
    05-08-2013 11:26 AM
    16gb is usually enough for the average person during the span of life of the phone. 8gb is most definitely not for one to two years. So there is your answer.
    05-08-2013 11:52 AM
    What are you putting on your phone? I have quite a bit of apps and I'm not nearly close to filling up my internal memory! I agree that Samsung shouldn't be able to pass this off as a 16gb model but they can so oh well. Serious question tho, what are you guys putting on your phone? Haha

Sent from my ATT Galaxy S4
    Download 1 movie and a couple larger games, like Real Racing 3 and Dungeon Hunter 4 and you've used up almost all your space.

As an example, Transformers 3 was just over 4GB and each of those games are over 1GB.. You could argue that you can stream the video, but really, unless you're on LTE(with an unlimtied plan) or at home on WIFI), that's not really an option, so you'll want to store locally.

Plus, toss in a few podcasts and viola..Some of the video podcasts are over 1GB on average, like The Vergecasts.. you can see the need for more than 9GB of meager space.
    05-08-2013 12:00 PM
    Well, up until the more heavy app users find out they were duped by carrier sales staff and Samsung telling them they can put apps on the sd card. That will be interesting, since a tiny fraction read forums or tech sites.
    I was actually told by someone in a Sprint store that I could move apps to the SD card on the S4. I didn't really trust them specifically, because most of the time those aren't the most informed people around.

My big thing is I kind of want to use Google Music and pin a decent amount of my music. You don't have the option of where that stuff goes. It lives on the internal phone memory.

So it's not just games.

I don't see why people are so defensive against others wanting things that support different use cases than what they themselves have. Especially when Samsung announced the variety of memory configurations, and Sprint has in the past offered higher memory phones in the same product line.

If 16GB is fine for you, why act like people who want more are making a big deal out of nothing? I don't get it.
    gabbott likes this.
    05-08-2013 01:05 PM
    removed
    There IS a perfect phone (for me): the Samsung Galaxy S4 32GB. It was supposed to be available in stores April 30 for $250. I do hope we see it before the end of the world. And I'm running on a GS2 with a cracked screen which was submerged in water not too long ago. I'm as patient as they come, but do enjoy having consumer choice.
    dd_terry likes this.
    05-08-2013 01:30 PM
    Being an audiophile and a gaming freak, 16GB of internal storage just isn't enough. Of course, there is the option to insert a high-capacity external microSD card for media, but many brands seem undependable (many cards from certain brand names such as SanDisk IMO are prone to failure) and the ever-increasing size of data an application takes up is of no help either.
    05-08-2013 06:38 PM
    Actually, using some of the logic from others on these boards and especially this thread, I am just going to get the 16GB model. It should be lighter. If you fill up the 32GB model, it may become too heavy. 2500 music files would obviously weigh much, much more than 500 or so. And movies are made of video AND audio, so those would be twice as heavy. If you do the math, the 16GB model has 9GB of space, so it should be approximately 3.5x lighter when full of data than the 32GB. And since I keep my phone in my pocket, I won't need to buy a sturdier belt.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    05-09-2013 08:54 AM
    So let me get this straight. People complain about phones not having SD storage and dramatize the whole situation like the world will end. Now...S4 has SD storage, but now you people ***** about not enough internal storage. Complain much? You dont like having the 16gig, well sit your *** down and wait for the 32 or 64 instead of crying like a little *****. Fact of the matter is there is no completely perfect phone out there to suit your taste and need. At some point you whiny ***** are going to complain about something. If it aint about storage, its going to be about software. If it aint about software, its going to be about how the phone looks cheap in plastic. No one is forcing you to buy the damn phone. You dont like it, tough, its your money, buy something else. It aint the end of the f*cking world. Get over it.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II
    In a way, it's apples and oranges. SD Card expansion provides a great alternative to off-load large amounts of media, whereas internal storage is required to run apps. No SD card support means having to store all media on internal storage, so obviously having it does help to make a 16GB more manageable, but the inclusion of SD support doesn't factor in one way or the other on having sufficient space to run all of your apps, especially if you're into high def games.

This is actually specifically what folks are griping about...Google and the manufacturers and carriers go on about cloud storage, which is useless when it's not available, or having SD card support to compliment phones with less internal storage, yet apps can't be loaded to it. Sure, having access to both is great, and even a must-have feature for many, but because those options are not ubiquitous, always available, and/or fully functional for all types of storage needs, neither of those options will replace the need for larger internal drives.

It would be like going to the car dealership and complaining that the windows in your car won't go down, and having the salesman tell you that never need to roll the windows down because the car comes with an air conditioner.
    rushmore and Aquila like this.
    05-09-2013 09:11 AM
    Actually, using some of the logic from others on these boards and especially this thread, I am just going to get the 16GB model. It should be lighter. If you fill up the 32GB model, it may become too heavy. 2500 music files would obviously weigh much, much more than 500 or so. And movies are made of video AND audio, so those would be twice as heavy. If you do the math, the 16GB model has 9GB of space, so it should be approximately 3.5x lighter when full of data than the 32GB. And since I keep my phone in my pocket, I won't need to buy a sturdier belt.
    Hey, based on your logic you are either Samsung's spokesman, or the training director for Verizon CSRs
    05-09-2013 09:24 AM
    It would be like going to the car dealership and complaining that the windows in your car won't go down, and having the salesman tell you that never need to roll the windows down because the car comes with an air conditioner.
    LOL! Perfect analogy. I don't EVER roll MY windows down, nor do 75% of our consumers. Why would YOU ever need to???
    Aquila likes this.
    05-09-2013 09:34 AM
    I was actually told by someone in a Sprint store that I could move apps to the SD card on the S4. I didn't really trust them specifically, because most of the time those aren't the most informed people around.

My big thing is I kind of want to use Google Music and pin a decent amount of my music. You don't have the option of where that stuff goes. It lives on the internal phone memory.

So it's not just games.

I don't see why people are so defensive against others wanting things that support different use cases than what they themselves have. Especially when Samsung announced the variety of memory configurations, and Sprint has in the past offered higher memory phones in the same product line.

If 16GB is fine for you, why act like people who want more are making a big deal out of nothing? I don't get it.
    This has my interest. I don't pin a lot of music but but I do pin some for times that i am out of coverage or for plans that have bad or no internet. I just assumed that I could pin to my SD card but never really thought about it. I am going to have to opt for the 32GB model for sure now. Thanks
    05-09-2013 09:57 AM
    Started this petition yesterday to show Sprint how much interest there is for 32 and 64gb S4's.

If you want to see these higher capacity phones please sign the petition:

Petition Sprint should sell the Samsung Galaxy S4 32gb and 64gb versions
    05-09-2013 10:23 AM
    I am very mad.
    I am almost full already.
    My music and photographs are on the sd card.
    I heard the bbc is addressing the false advertising issue with the 16gb vs what we actually get.

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4... there is none better!
    Attached Thumbnails For people that say 16gb isn't enough....-uploadfromtaptalk1368209593193.jpg   For people that say 16gb isn't enough....-uploadfromtaptalk1368209612672.jpg  
    05-10-2013 01:13 PM
    Well I have to chime in. Everyone here has made some very valid points. On both sides. I bought a 16GB S4 on pre-order. So did a lot of people. Why? because its a hot phone, and Samsung and their supporting carriers know it. Fact is, I have to live with the device for the next 18-24 months. Now I have to ask myself the question. Will this be enough for my needs or not? I also have a 32 MB sd card installed. Again, I find myself rationalizing if this will work for me or not? Yeah, Samsung says you can expand the memory, however you can't put apps or games on it. Now I'm not a gamer, BUT I would like to have the option of placing games on it IF I CHOOSE TOO. Or, anything else I wanted to for fear of running out of space down the road. That's the game I'm playing now and I can't help but feeling like I got served in some small way. I'm a grown-a*s man and I take full responsibility for my actions. But I feel the right thing to do was offer the different versions of the phone when they initially launched. Let the consumers decide at the get go what would be the best solution for their individual needs. Not sending out 16 GB versions with 9 GB available and telling folks to get sd cards. That's called a cop-out folks! Plain and simple. Now I have an opportunity to get the 32 GB version in the next 24 hrs and now I'm really torn because its only available in black mist. Frost white ( the phone i currently own) is not available. This is going to sound petty but if i had wanted the Black Mist, i would have bought it ! So its my thought that they, (Samsung and the providers) should shoulder a little of the responsibility here. its 2013. 9 GB of internal memory IMO is slowly but surely not the norm anymore. Especially within this next contract period.
    just my $.02.
    Wilbur likes this.
    05-10-2013 08:28 PM
    Well I have to chime in. Everyone here has made some very valid points. On both sides. I bought a 16GB S4 on pre-order. So did a lot of people. Why? because its a hot phone, and Samsung and their supporting carriers know it. Fact is, I have to live with the device for the next 18-24 months. Now I have to ask myself the question. Will this be enough for my needs or not? I also have a 32 MB sd card installed. Again, I find myself rationalizing if this will work for me or not? Yeah, Samsung says you can expand the memory, however you can't put apps or games on it. Now I'm not a gamer, BUT I would like to have the option of placing games on it IF I CHOOSE TOO. Or, anything else I wanted to for fear of running out of space down the road. That's the game I'm playing now and I can't help but feeling like I got served in some small way. I'm a grown-a*s man and I take full responsibility for my actions. But I feel the right thing to do was offer the different versions of the phone when they initially launched. Let the consumers decide at the get go what would be the best solution for their individual needs. Not sending out 16 GB versions with 9 GB available and telling folks to get sd cards. That's called a cop-out folks! Plain and simple. Now I have an opportunity to get the 32 GB version in the next 24 hrs and now I'm really torn because its only available in black mist. Frost white ( the phone i currently own) is not available. This is going to sound petty but if i had wanted the Black Mist, i would have bought it ! So its my thought that they, (Samsung and the providers) should shoulder a little of the responsibility here. its 2013. 9 GB of internal memory IMO is slowly but surely not the norm anymore. Especially within this next contract period.
    just my $.02.
    Now you have me scared. What if Verizon offers their 32Gb model only in ... [gulp] ... white?? I want the black one !!
    Aquila and skiner5246 like this.
    05-10-2013 08:35 PM
80 1234