I was wondering my my NFC tags didn't work and now I know. The S4 doesn't support the older version of tectiles. I guess an update is coming in a few weeks to make it backwards compatible.

See here for yourself

Samsung Galaxy S4 doesnt support older NFC TecTile tags. Awaits Arrival of TecTile 2
    05-07-2013 10:42 AM
    I was wondering my my NFC tags didn't work and now I know. The S4 doesn't support the older version of tectiles. I guess an update is coming in a few weeks to make it backwards compatible.

See here for yourself

Samsung Galaxy S4 doesnt support older NFC TecTile tags. Awaits Arrival of TecTile 2
    Is that just with a specific app? Can you use NFC tasker, or the phone itself doesn't just recognize it?
    05-07-2013 11:27 AM
    It has nothing to do with the App you use, it is the actual NFC chip.

TecTiles were made with the Mifare Classic tags, which many phones do not support because they are not a standard NFC chip type.
    TecTile 2 will adhere to the official format and also support more NFC phones.

The hardware inside the S4 (Broadcoms BCM2079x) is not able to read Mifare tags.
    Parafly likes this.
    05-07-2013 01:58 PM

See here for yourself

Hi! I'm new here - been lurking a lot. Just got my first Samsung and love it, however, this is annoying news. I ordered the TecTiles and just got them yesterday. So after reading this I tried them out and sure enough, I get the message they are not compatible. I was really looking forward to setting these up. Does anyone know of any tags that are currently out that are compatible.
    05-07-2013 04:40 PM
    Hi! I'm new here - been lurking a lot. Just got my first Samsung and love it, however, this is annoying news. I ordered the TecTiles and just got them yesterday. So after reading this I tried them out and sure enough, I get the message they are not compatible. I was really looking forward to setting these up. Does anyone know of any tags that are currently out that are compatible.
    Basically, any NFC tag that is type 1-4 will work with the S4. Examples: UL, NTAG203, Topaz512.
    The UL has about 48 bytes of memory, NTAG203 has 144 bytes, and Topaz has 454 bytes. I recommend the NTAG203 because it has a decent amount of storage, fast and is compatible with all NFC devices.
    You an find these tags here.
    Alice Stribling likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:08 AM
    Just some additional info: the new Tectile 2s that are coming out are likely to be NFC Forum Type 4 tags. If the rumors are true, these chips are going to have at least 4kb storage which would at least somewhat justify their inflated cost.

For another alternative for everyday user friendly NFC tags, check out the Shop4NFC store.
    05-08-2013 10:19 PM
    This is a bummer! Luckily the S4 does work with the NFC tag for the Nexus 4. I have those also, and downloaded NFC tasker to my S4 and the tags for my Nexus 4 work fine. It is a bummer that the S3 and Note 2 tec tile tags are not compatible with the S4 tags...

These are the ones I have that work with the S4:

Amazon.com: TagsForDroid 10 NFC Tags + 1 NFC Key Chain + Stickers (NTAG203): Everything Else
    05-14-2013 05:46 PM
    Does anyone know what chips the TecTiles 2 ended up using? I heard they were Type 4 but I'm curious as to how much they hold and which tags they actually are.
    09-04-2013 02:45 PM