06-28-2017 08:08 PM
374 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I just had the same problem .. theAT&T store tried to fix the problem and contacted their Level 2 Technicians who confirmed a "known issue" exists with the Galaxy S4. There IS NO fix. IF it's NOT under warranty it's your problem to fix at a cost. Horrible customer service !
    05-16-2015 07:38 PM
    have a Note 4 with the recurring Sim Card Error Message.. anyone know where the best place to put a piece of foam or whatever to apply pressure..
    05-17-2015 08:48 PM
    Hi, I just finished reading all 10 pages of this thread, and I didn't see this one... first, let me explain: I bought a used T-mobile S4 on eBay, and within a day or so had the first SIM card error. Restarting fixed it, and for a couple days it did it about once per day, but then yesterday (I've only had the phone about 5 days) it was doing it really frequently, every twenty minutes or so. I found this thread and started reading. I installed that Bluetooth Connect and Play app (mentioned previously in this thread), which did not help. Blowing into the SIM card slot got it going until this afternoon, but then it was not recognizing the SIM card even after restarting. In a panic, because I drive around for work and I need my phone, I tried:
    Blowing in the SIM card slot again
    Removing the SD card
    Clearing the cache
    Putting a piece of cardstock behind the SIM card
    Leaving the battery and SIM card out for a bit, in case it needed to cool down
    And pressing on the empty SIM card slot.
    None of those things fixed it.
    Then, I drove to a hardware store and purchased a small Philips screwdriver and I removed all the screws, but when the gray plastic didn't come off easily, I chickened out and decided to wait till I could watch a YouTube video (the screen glass is cracked in the corner, so I was afraid of messing up the screen). But then I sort of remembered reading about booting it in safe mode, and I thought I would try it, I held down the power, the home button and the volume down all at once, and then it said something about installing an OS, so I hit volume down which was cancel. After that the SIM card worked! When I got a chance I started watching some YouTube videos, because I still wanted to try putting some foam or something to press down the ribbon connector. In one video's comments, a person called iFix Galaxy wrote about the SCREWS being the problem! (I never put mine back in, btw) they said try removing the one closest to the SIM card, but if that didn't help remove them all and add them back in one by one until you figure out the minimum screws you can have out and still have it working. I don't know if my weird boot had something to do with this fix or not.
    Anyway, mine has been working about 6 hrs now, and I've got my fingers crossed that this is it!! I do plan to replace some of the screws, and I might still try putting in foam. I wanted to share this fix and I'm curious to see if it helps anyone else.
    05-20-2015 09:53 PM
    It is been 4 weeks since I applied Steve Cormier's solution (piece of plastic behind the connector).
    All these weeks my S4 didn't suffer anymore of those N0 SIM card errors.
    I pretty sure this really solved the issue I had with my S4!
    Thanks Steve!
    05-21-2015 05:09 AM
    Having read through these pages looking for a solution myself I thought it couldn't do any harm to share my experiences.
    In a nutshell I've had the issue twice over the last 18months with the same phone.
    The first time I got the "insert a valid sim" message repeatedly over a period of a week or two,I read as many forums as I could in an evening then opted to simply ditch any unnecessary apps and bingo! No problems for months!
    Last week that all changed and the issue has reoccurred, much worse than before, shutting down maybe 4 times a day until yesterday to slightly confound the issue I did 2 things either of which may be contributing to a possible solution.
    First, I again dumped all unnecessary apps, Second I have decided to let the battery do it's thing more and not put it on charge at every available opportunity just in case there is a heating issue at play. 48hrs on, for the first period in a week or 10 days all is well!
    I will try to remember to report on progress if either I get another message or if after a week there is still no issue.
    Kol
    05-21-2015 10:03 AM
    Known issue. I took my phone in and they tried replacing the sim. When that didn't work, they just issued me a new phone(refurbished of course).
    05-21-2015 12:51 PM
    After 1,5 year performing just perfectly, my S4 started showing this SIMcard issue a week after upgrading to Lollipop.
    Just typical behaviour: sometimes 5 times in a day, sometimes 3 days without the issue, making you think the problem was solved.

- Vodafone support in the Netherlands said it was a known issue - I had to reset to factory defaults > this did not help at all.
    - Vodafone support now said: "It is a known issue, please contact Samsung Support."
    - Samsung said: "It is a known issue, please take your phone to a repair point." (Dynafix in the Vodafone store in Maastricht)
    - Dynafix employee said: "It is a known issue, in the past we've tried to replace the SIMcard-slot, but that didn't work. We'll have to send it in to Dynafix repair centre." - He didn't now what they were going to do to fix it.
    - I've just received news from Dynafix, they've examined my S4 and guess what? They've discovered that my phone had moisture damage and because of that warranty was void! They didn't even make the effort to make me an offer to have it repaired.
    Now we all know this "moisture damage thing" is just "stieren poep" (=Dutch for bull droppings). The picture, they've included, indicating this "supposed" damage is no-where near the SIMcard holder flatband cable connector.

But what can one do?
    When I get my phone back from repair (unrepaired), it's directly off to the guitar-store to get me some picks.

I'll keep you posted.
    Hi Johnny,

I could write this in Dutch, because I'm from Belgium, but I'll stick to English.
    My phone started to to report "No Sim Card" (of "simkaart verwijderd of zoiets") and the frequency with which it happened increased each time requiring a reboot to fix it until it show the message right after a reboot. The phone also got very hot at the top, near the antenna.

After trying all kinds of things, actually all the things I've read here on this forum like save mode, deinstalling apps, replacing sim cards with different operators (Telenet, Base, Aldi, now Mobistar), replacing sim card reader, installing different ROMS, ... I finally gave up and then I found out that my phone still had warranty (I bought it seconded handed).

It got fixed by Dynafix. I can only say they truly did a great job. Good service. I guess the replaced the antenna unit or something. It worked for a couple of weeks. Then the phone broke again. I sent it back over to Dynafix. It was fixed again: new motherboard, it read. It worked for a couple of months.

Two days ago all of a sudden the "no sim card" message reappeared and now it has happened over 5 times :-( It's completely random although something must trigger it.

I guess I must be doing something wrong with it but I don't know what.
    05-24-2015 02:24 AM
    Hello everyone. I have a Galaxy S4 and have experienced this same MAJOR HEADACHE of the phone randomly saying "No Sim". I have read the entire thread and tried every method of resolution without success, from clearing the cache in recovery mode to putting a backer behind the sim. I have taken the phone to a third party service centre and paid $99NZD to solve this and the technician replaced the sim reader but the "No Sim" problem just continued. I took the phone back four times (each time the problem would reoccur) and have been told now, he cannot fix it. I'm so sick of this and cannot devote anymore time to it as it is really hindering my day to day life!! I'm going to part with more money (over $1000NZD) and buy a new phone now. Then I will have to deal with getting all of my data off the S4 and onto the new phone with Samsung Kies which is also a headache!! I'm going to take pleasure taking to this S4 with a sledgehammer!! F**K YOU SAMSUNG AND YOUR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS!!
    05-24-2015 06:54 PM
    lol as soon as I ran sim card info the error popped up.
    05-26-2015 06:07 PM
    I started getting this issue after tightening all the screws in the back of my phone. The tighter I did them the more frequent the Sim/Reboot message would come up. I found after I backed off the 2 screws above the battery and leaving the rest done up firm the error messages stopped.
    It seems that there is a contact issue within these phones when flex or pressure has been applied.

Edit: Error message returned
    05-30-2015 12:51 AM
    I've just been thinking about this issue and the batteries came to mind.

The batteries in these phones cop a real hiding when all the apps are running, wifi, bluetooth gaming ect so to me its possible that a hard flogged battery could drop enough voltage to momentarily stop powering the sim tray. These devices are very power hungry and the Sim tray might be the first place a voltage drop is felt in the phone.

In radio controlled model applications I have seen lithium batteries under heavy load drop up to half their voltage and then return back to normal voltage when the load is lifted. Under the same load the older batteries dropped to a lower voltage than newer ones. Same thing could be happening to these batteries under a heavy load scenario.

Anyway I've put a new battery in and for 48 hrs I've had no Sim Error messages.

Could be another dud lead or its possible that low battery voltage spikes could be the entire problem...
    06-01-2015 04:09 AM
    Hey all!

I think I am close to solving my own problem with the "removed sim card" and I think I know how!

A few weeks ago, I had this problem once, maybe twice a day. Later, this happened more like 5 times a day!
    So three days ago, I decided to take the card out and used wifi all day. What do you think? No message! The sim card holder remained cold all the time, so I put some contact spray on the card, left it to dry and put a piece of paper behind it, in the phone, to find out if it was a contact related problem. After more than a day, the error came back, but with my flipcover on. Again, the sim felt warm. So, now two days ago, I ripped the back of my phone and put the thing back into its cover, but with a folded piece of paper in between. Just now, he gave the error again, the paper was almost flat and again, (the phone was charging), the sim was pretty warm.. So I folded the piece of paper again and so, I will keep trying until it stays away for good the next two months. Then, it is time for something else but Samsung! ;-P

So I think heat is the problem and this happened since my update to android 5. Coincidence? I don't think so! :-)
    06-01-2015 04:53 PM
    We haven't finalized our price yet but it's approximately $200 CDN

Wow that seems a steep price. That is more than the phone is worth
    06-03-2015 12:12 AM
    This is such an elusive problem. A bunch of theories and a bunch of people who have "fixed" it although for many it returns.

Mine just keeps happening randomly. I used to think it was physical because always happened when I put phone in tighter jeans pocket. I thought the phone was flexing a bit on the card. But now it sometimes happens just when I am holding the phone. Part of me wants to think it is a software conflict. All I know is it is annoying and I'm still looking for a fix.
    06-03-2015 05:27 PM
    Well ,I am a guitar player so ,I am gonna try the pick trick tonight. I bought a set of precision phone repair tools last year and haven't really used them much ,as cell repair is super tricky.This one looks like it may be doable for a ham hand like me.Thanx for the tip.
    06-03-2015 06:11 PM
    Hello,

When my Samsung S4 gave me repeated NO SIM CARD errors, I thought I would have to sell my phone for parts. BUT I was able to get it working. It has been up for three days. No problems.

1 - I did an online chat with Samsung. Not much help.
    2 - I went to the Rogers dealer and they gave me a new SIM. It worked for about 12 hours. Then the error came back.
    3 - Some sites suggest doing the VOL + HOME menu / Clear Cache and / or factory reset. That did nothing, other than waste time.
    4 - I placed a strip of business card behind the SIM. That would work for short periods, but I think that was a fluke.

What DID work was the following:

You take apart the phone, including the white interior back plate, including the eight or so little screws.

Turns out that there is a heat related issue that makes it so that the ribbon cable connector that makes the SIM card and the microSD card tray NOT communicate with the mainboard. Maybe there is some slight warping. Anyway. Look at this image:

Attachment 151038

Literally, I trimmed a piece of a guitar pick, and glued it to the black strip on the plastic phone backing. Then, when the phone is reassembled, it puts enough pressure on the ribbon cable assembly that the phone begins working. It was a ten minute fix, and it seems to be holding up just fine. I would try that fix before replacing the SIM tray.

This fix looks to have solved my issue where the phone would show "cannot find sim card". Glad I found an actual physical fix and not just "reboot into safe mode", or "uninstall this program and then install this one" stuff. Not to bash those that have found fixes via a software update. I personally prefer hard fixes. Especially when a device is giving me a "cannot be found" or the device randomly reboots itself. Loose connections and bad cards are the culprits about 90% of the time IMHO.
    jliedl likes this.
    06-12-2015 08:17 PM
    Been having a similar problew with my Samsung s4. Took it to my service provider and they noted that the battery was a very tight fit. He replaced the sim card adapter (tray you put small sim cards in before sliding into the phone). The battery easily went back into the phone and now works perfectly. He said that sometimes the adapter can be warped over time resulting in the sim card not lining up perfectly. The whole process took less than 5 minutes to fix and was free of charge.
    06-17-2015 10:37 PM
    I had the same issue with my S4 where at least everyday it was saying "SIM card not detected". So I did what many said seemed to work, put a small piece of double sided sticky foam tape cut about 3/8" long and 1/4" wide and stuck over the SIM/SD Card reader RIBBON and snapped the plastic back on. It's been weeks now (about 3 - 4 weeks) and not once has that error message popped up! What a fast and simple fix. If it pops up again, I will probably repeat the same method as the foam may flatten out some over time. I was going to use the earplug foam but figured the adhesive foam would be just a bit more "firm" to apply a more even pressure. Try it, what do you have to loose!
    06-19-2015 06:52 PM
    I had this problem with my S4 shortly after one of the updates. I was convinced the update caused it and I felt like the phone was hotter than it should be under load. Anyway I reluctantly tried most of the quick fixes like card in the right place and non worked. Still convinced this is software related, I took someone's advice and installed "Bluetooth connect & Play" from the play store and ran it once. To my amazement I had no errors for a week. After a week I thought I would see what happened if I took it off - the phone lasted all of thirty seconds before the error came back. I reinstalled the app and over 2 weeks later and no error! Too much of a coincidence I think! Anyway I registered just to post this and maybe help someone else out too :-)
    06-23-2015 08:50 PM
    Hello all. I have had this problem with my S4 for months and tried every solution I could find. I believe I found a solution. The problem seems to be with the sim card holder. You can either replace this piece, which may the best solution, or do what I did. The Sim card holder needs to have pressure put on it to keep the connection. I have an Otter Box case so I was able to roll up tape to about 1/8 of an inch thick and place it in between the phone and the Otter box, above the sim cards location. I waited 6 weeks before posting this to be sure. I've only lost sim card recognition once in this time. I recently removed it to see if the problem returned and it happened 12 times that day. I hope this works for you.
    06-25-2015 11:56 AM
    STEVE,

I have followed your solution. It worked perfectly.
    Thank you very much!!

Lizandro
    06-30-2015 03:14 AM
    I think you are correct. My s4 started doing this after the new update, and i really think heat is causing this.

I thought it was a particular ago, but i keep all my apps closed now, but i tend to notice the phone hot with the problem. Any way to downgrade to the software to the, my phone is not rooted.

But I'm also thinking my batter my have expanded and possibly cause this issue too. I may buy a cheapo knock off to test.
    07-05-2015 09:22 AM
    Wow you save me a lot of trial and error.

What I did, so far

factory reset.
    downgraded firmware back 2 revisions.
    put in a brand new OEM battery

all without progress. My serial ends in 431829 it seems to be in the problematic range. My phone is out of warranty but this looks like a design flaw.
    Any progress for you?
    07-10-2015 11:36 AM
    are you still up and working? i may try this fix soon.
    07-10-2015 12:15 PM
    Hi I really didn't understand how to put the earplug there can you explain to me how to put it please
    07-19-2015 08:23 PM
374 ... 89101112 ...