06-28-2017 07:08 PM
374 ... 12131415
tools
    Or maybe you could tell us which exact chip is in question and we could fix ourself.
    02-12-2016 08:46 PM
    Probably this one
    Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected-mobo.png
    02-15-2016 06:05 AM
    I have read plenty on this and have tried all the tricks. I have BTW fixed my phone.
    It appears that a certain lot of S4 phones were more susceptible to this problem. IMEI numbers with the last 6 digits in this range: 000000 - 560000.
    Hello.
    I want to buy a used S4 I9506.
    The imei number is 353224062300859
    h t t p : // w w w . imei . info / ? imei =353224062300859
    TAC: 353224 FAC: 06 SNR: 230085 CD: 9

So, my question is. Which number should not be in the range of 000000-560000
    The serial number is 230085
    TAC number is 353224
    CD 9

so, which number should I check when I buy a used phone?
    Thank you
    02-15-2016 07:36 AM
    This really is a design flaw, although I doubt that it's any kind of planned obsolescence. Of course it's not wise to state that a single fix will solve everyone's issue, but certainly my experience is that the inner foam reinforcement is the way to go in most cases. The key to this is to not do this just inside the case backing but remove the inner bezel as was suggested previously in this thread. The other important thing is adequate foam thickness. A minimum of 1/16th" is required. In my case and the others I've done, I used 2 layers of 3M heavy duty adhesive tape (red) cut to the exact size of the top of the on board sim card cable plug. A simple test is, that when you re-install the inner bezel it should actually bow up a little. Replacement of the 9 screws will bring it down. Also be careful when you remove the bevel. I haven't seen it but I've heard they can break. I've done my own and a dozen others and every unit is weeks into functionality with no sign of the dreaded message.

If you're reticent to effect the repair and you're in the GTA, look me up and I'll be happy to do it. Takes about 10-20 minutes. I'm not exactly an expert, but I do have a little unexpected experience fiddling with phones.

Feel free to contact sb@steveboyd.ca if I can answer any questions. The process is quite simple.

Steve...
    02-15-2016 12:06 PM
    bubbbab - thank you for your response, I have tried that method too, and still I have the "NO SIM" Error
    02-16-2016 12:00 AM
    Oh, sorry to hear that. I'm sure you did this well but just in case, I had two occasions where friends had done their own and the thickness wasn't adequate. After re-doing it, there have been no issues. Jut FYI.
    02-16-2016 05:18 AM
    I have the same problem with S4 “SIM card removed- restart” – every 20 minutes! It’s very irritating and very inconvenient! Requested a new SIM from my mobile provider but it didn’t solve the problem. It’s obviously a software problem and SAMSUNG should take a responsibility for selling this faulty model S4 and replace it with new phones. Why customers should suffer?
    02-23-2016 05:13 AM
    You're right it should be covered. But it's not a software problem. It's a hardware issue. The foam fix seems to do the trick on every unit I've seen.
    02-23-2016 05:42 AM
    @ Verngator: Great ''brute force" tip!

Just lost my still new G4 and had to fall back on an old S4 in the house. The No SIM message popped up a day or so after getting a new SIM for my old number. Turned out to be a contact issue... pressed down on the SIM cover plate as you suggested and presto, back on line!

As others have experienced.... the phone store attendant tried a new SIM, tried to upgrade me to a new phone--but that is too costly now--and then sent me down the 'replace motherboard' path.

Thanks for helping me to use my brains and try some brawn.
    02-23-2016 12:21 PM
    @SonofThoreau good that it works. I've seen many do that with temporary positive results. If the problem reoccurs then take out the bezel and apply the more permanent fix which references the mboard connector.
    02-23-2016 01:41 PM
    Here's my two cents. I would go with the flow here and say it's shotty solder work from the factory. I read somewhere else they used a cheaper alloy solder on these boards, and if correct, over time with the heating and cooling, some joints will crack. I experience the problem about once a day, only if I do this. This time of year is cold here, below freezing, so when I get to work I go to my work truck, put my phone and stuff on the doghouse (dash) and start it to let it warm up. When I come back, 9 times out of 10 I have to do the restart. With the cold, metal contracts and any cracked joints are left making an even larger cracked joint, leaving it more of a chance it's unable to make a connection. When truck is up to temp. the solder/metal would expand back to a normal state to more solid connection and all is good. If I leave my phone in my pocket, I do not get this. For others that get this more often, it could be due to a more severe cracked joint or multiple cracked joints, and vice versa. Because of the cheap alloy solder used on these could be a reason why the problems re-occurs even a rehot/reflow, unless new solder is applied, which would be very very difficult to do on the small components.
    03-04-2016 05:25 AM
    With your issue being so temperature sensitive, a cold solder joint does seem to make sense. Speaking for myself and the few phones I've done, ambient temperatures don't seem to play a role, albeit operating temperature may or may not be part of the catalyst. In your particular case, which seems to be the exception not the rule, your diagnosis seems flawless to me.
    03-04-2016 07:18 AM
    A few of the phones that came in here had tried that unsuccessfully.
    03-10-2016 06:11 AM
    I have encountered the same problem as well
    During my classes i wanted to check the time on my phone when suddenly it popped on my screen this notification: no sim card detected so i had to restart my phone, it worked a little bit until my next class when it happened again...at first i got really angry cuz i haven't had any clue what could be the problem, also some of my classmates told me that it can be the sim card's fault but it wasn't, i tried another sim cards too and it was futile
    The next day i went to a service and those guys told me that i have to change the hardware but it costs a lot and that is a common problem on samsung galaxy s4
    Therefore i don't recommand you to buy a s4, maybe it runs perfectly, no lags, bugs but as long as you will encounter these kinds of problem in time is not worth to buy this device.
    03-18-2016 03:02 PM
    I have the same problem and these Samsung s4 are junk. I now understand why everyone is buying iPhone. I tried all the cures and the only thing that helps me is doing a factory reset and then, not using the phone for anything but calls. No wallpaper, no apps, no nothing. The popup always comes back and then gets progressively worse. I would have been better off with a cheap flip phone.
    03-18-2016 06:30 PM
    You've tried pulling the bezel and foaming it? No change?
    03-18-2016 09:38 PM
    I've had the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and even more problems concerning the performance. I fully reset my phone and it works quite good again! Have you ever tried to reset it or at least clear the cache?
    03-20-2016 11:16 AM
    Hey guys, this is my first post here and unfortunately a sad one

Received my S4 on Saturday and have been loving it ever since, great piece of tech!

Until about lunch time today it was working great, but now it seems to not be able to recognize when a simcard is inside it.

At first I thought maybe my sim died, so I put it in another phone and it worked. I then also tried a different sim in the S4 yet it still didnt detect it.

When I pull down the notification bar, where it should say my service provider it instead says 'No Service'. When I try and go to my mobile data settings it tells me to insert a simcard to access it, even though the simcard is plugged in. As such when I go to 'About Phone' settings it says all the usual, No SIM, No Service etc etc.

This is my first Android phone after switching from Apple, so I am not too familiar with how to tackle this situation, so I come here desperate for your help!

Is there away to completely reinstall the OS? That should rule out the problem being software and route it down to a hardware problem. If thats the case, I guess ill just have to get it replaced.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT : Also, in the top right corner where my signal bar and internet icon should be, it instead has that icon similar to a No Entry icon.
    Mine did the same thing. Luckily T-mobile sent me a replacement phone free of charge. There are certain serial numbers with this problem. IMEI numbers with the last 6 digits in this range: 000000 - 560000 I believe. I've since upgraded my device, but I hope this helps.
    03-20-2016 12:31 PM
    I removed the two small screws above the battery and it actually seems to be working. Thanks.
    04-07-2016 02:57 PM
    Interesting. Based on results with the hack fix removing those screws would either do no good or possibly make it worse. Hey whatever works for you. ☺
    04-07-2016 03:30 PM
    I have a different phone (Note 5), but the exact same issue. Others have posted that it may be hardware (SIM slot) or software. When it started happening to me I called Verizon and went through the same trouble shooting that got me nowhere. After replacing the SIM card they sent, the problem continued and I wondered if it was simply not enough pressure on the SIM card against the contacts. I put a piece of clear tape on the back of the SIM card and trimmed it so there was no overhang and put the card back in the slot. My problem went away for over a month (was happening 3-6 times a day). It came back when I loaded the Flipboard news app. After uninstalling the app my problem went away.
    04-13-2016 11:18 AM
    Well,
    I gotta say, I was ready to crack this S4 phone in half. With-in 60 days as a brand new phone, ($700.00 and change) MetroPCS replaced the phone with a (not new) phone. With-in 90 days, I had a second, not new replacement, and inside of 120 days of THAT with what WAS a brand new phone, I had a third, not new replacement. I didn't tweak any software, but I tried everything else imaginable, including the stupid piece of an ear plug solution. NOTHING WORKED until I read your input @ Android Central. I didn't use a guitar pic, just a piece of grocery rewards card cut to fit with a tiny piece of foam behind that for the extra pressure. The top people at Samsung should be taken out for an afternoon of electroshock just to get em back on track, just for letting a flaw like this slide...

Thanks alot ! ! !

Dan
    06-08-2016 09:48 PM
    If I wasn't having so much success (25+ units) with the foam under the bezel on top of the on board sim card pop connector, I would honestly try simply pulling the board and reflowing the solder on that connector. Gut is telling me that might do it but I don't want to argue with success thus far.
    06-08-2016 10:46 PM
    Just reporting that the chopped up heavy/thick guitar pick seems to be holding up and preventing the error. In two weeks of heavy use, as well as physical activity (running ~5miles a couple times) the error has only happened once. (Roughly at the 7 day point). Continuing to monitor ....

I think this is consistent with other people's experiences jamming other things on top of the flex cable. (Tape etc), that the error comes back just way less frequently.

Previously it would happen once or twice a day, at very inconvenient times (with no warning or cause, just sitting on the table even), which really caused me to hate the phone and want to throw it at the wall...

My current impression is that there may not be a way to *perfectly* fix the problem but rather minimize its occurrence. It is a great phone so I am glad it is still usable for the most part, and really good hardware.

Still interested to hear other people with longer term solutions, and if the error was completely or mostly eliminated ......

Happyish for the time being!

-mxasf
    Mine has the no Sim detected message. But in my case I can still use my phone to make and receive calls, contacts still there. And use the internet. But with out 4g my phone runs slow
    07-03-2016 12:23 AM
    Hello guys,
    Just wanted to inform you that solution from gsmhosting is definitely right one (after i tried all the others and failed).

My phone at first had intermittant "no sim card" problem - which I have fixed with a foam trick. But it was just for a while.
    Later the phone didnt recognise my sim card at all. Found that some sim cards are working (older ones, probably not voltage sensitive), but not the ones from my carrier.
    Tried hardware reset, new modem firmware, new ROM, all the software tricks mentioned here. I have even tried changing sim card reader - no luck there either.

Finally the trick with reheating the offending IC worked like a charm. (Asked a friend with a professional hot air solderer to do it).

Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected-s4-sim.jpg
    07-16-2016 03:46 PM
374 ... 12131415