06-28-2017 07:08 PM
374 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I changed my SIM card to a non NFC card a few months ago and had no problem since!

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-28-2014 07:10 AM
    I have not posted here very often, but I will try to help. My s4 started to have this issue in the last week. My phone is a year and a half old, has been thru many software customizations. NEVER had this issue till now. I've had all the different stock ROMs on it, as well as cyanogenmod 10 & 11 . Recently went back to stock, it that was a month or so ago. Yes, my phone gets hot from time to time, but they all do. AT&T wanted to replace/fix the phone for $200 because it's out of warranty. That's crap. I will post an update when I get my replacement sim card slot. EBay for $5 delivered. Watch the video on YouTube for galaxy s4 disassembly. I have repaired many tablets, laptops, and I phones. It's easy. I don't know if this will fix the issue, but for $5 and 15 minutes worth of effort, we will see. BTW I got this error on both android 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 and the tech at ATT said it was hardware related. Give me a few days to post results
    12-28-2014 12:43 PM
    Follow up #1
    Since I have to wait for the new sim/sd slot card to show up, I thought I would check things out on the inside of the phone. Bear in mind I am a 66 year old machine tool builder and a wanna be geek. This thing is super easy to take apart, just be deliberate and patient. Watch the video. All you have to do is disassemble to the point where you can see the connector for the card to motherboard. There is a short ribbon cable that connects the two. Looking at mine VERY closely, from the side, I could see that the ribbon side of the connector was just a little higher (raised). I'm only talking about the connector being a couple of degrees tilted in reference to the motherboard. So, I assumed that when I had a small drop a couple of weeks ago, I might have loosened it a little. The connector has a small black foam pad on it, which probable is designed to apply a little pressure to the connection. When I applied a little force to "seat" the connector, it sat right down and looked parallel to the motherboard. I then thought about keeping it there. I am sure these phones are designed to have zero, or "near" zero clearance. So I applied a small piece of duct tape (1/8 x 1/4") to the matching area of the cover/frame. This area is also a black rubber pad built into the underside of the cover. I think this should keep the connector seated. Fingers crossed. LOL
    I will update in a week or so.
    Dan
    12-28-2014 05:29 PM
    Okay, I know it's early, but this worked. No sim card remover errors for more than a day. It may not be everyone's problem, but if you don't at least try this to fix it, you may be missing out on a cheap fix. The connector on my phone was only a very little out of position, but apparently that was enough. I will only update if I get additional problems. If you know other forums that have a topic like this please pass the info on. Zero dollar repairs are the best. :-)
    12-29-2014 11:29 PM
    This can't just be a Kit Kat Issue. I'm running on 4.3 and am also getting this error. I'll be trying the fix that Steve Cormier posted earlier, later today.
    12-30-2014 03:33 PM
    Well, I spoke too soon. Last night and today I got 3 more sim card removed errors. The replacement card reader showed up, so I installed it. It had exactly the same markings and rev level, and it is working now. I am crossing my fingers that it continues to work. If you do this repair, be careful removing the old one. It sits on a sheet metal platform and is held in place with 2 sided tape, hair dryer will help warm it, don't bend the metal platform or bend the locating tabs. I will wait a little longer to report this as a success , but will also report if it fails. I really like this phone, and have 6 months to go before I can upgrade, I'll be pissed if it needs a motherboard.
    12-31-2014 04:13 PM
    Hello,

When my Samsung S4 gave me repeated NO SIM CARD errors, I thought I would have to sell my phone for parts. BUT I was able to get it working. It has been up for three days. No problems.

1 - I did an online chat with Samsung. Not much help.
    2 - I went to the Rogers dealer and they gave me a new SIM. It worked for about 12 hours. Then the error came back.
    3 - Some sites suggest doing the VOL + HOME menu / Clear Cache and / or factory reset. That did nothing, other than waste time.
    4 - I placed a strip of business card behind the SIM. That would work for short periods, but I think that was a fluke.

What DID work was the following:

You take apart the phone, including the white interior back plate, including the eight or so little screws.

Turns out that there is a heat related issue that makes it so that the ribbon cable connector that makes the SIM card and the microSD card tray NOT communicate with the mainboard. Maybe there is some slight warping. Anyway. Look at this image:

Attachment 151038

Literally, I trimmed a piece of a guitar pick, and glued it to the black strip on the plastic phone backing. Then, when the phone is reassembled, it puts enough pressure on the ribbon cable assembly that the phone begins working. It was a ten minute fix, and it seems to be holding up just fine. I would try that fix before replacing the SIM tray.
    You are the man. This permanently fixed mine. Thanks. Referring to adding the guitar pick on the plastic.
    Daniel Anghel likes this.
    01-02-2015 07:19 PM
    Mine fails constantly while running and NOT on startup. I recently had the SIM changed, which didn't solve the problem. I just tried the recovery/clear cache suggested above. I'll have to wait to see....
    01-08-2015 10:38 AM
    I have the fix people,,, I tried all the software route,,, it's hardware, pop out the sim card press on what holds it in firm but no to firm...push sim card back in,, mine has been OK for 2 weeks now.. a T mobile guy told me that is a common hard ware prob with S4 the holder get lose,, bending it in a tag fixed it
    ewil99 likes this.
    01-08-2015 01:30 PM
    When I first had this issue Samsung refused to see that there was a problem with this product i would send it off for repair then recieve it back with a letter saying they had repaired the problem and ran diagnostics and the problem had been solved after having it back for an hour I was surprised to see no sim after two repairs and a argument about sending it in again they replaced it i haven't had this issue for ages until today but luckily I upgrade in 3 months so I'm only a little annoyed.

Posted via my garbage Samsung Galaxy S4
    Radiolaire likes this.
    01-15-2015 07:16 AM
    Hi fast96, I would really like to know what is the status of your repair as of today, two weeks after the replacement of your card reader in your S4. My story is exactly the same as Steve Cormier's.
    Thanks,
    01-15-2015 04:46 PM
    While I wait to hear back from fast96 (posted 12-31-2014) to see if the replacement of the sim card tray has fixed the problem, I will try removing my 64GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card from my S4. First thing I did when I got the phone 15 months ago was inserting that card and I also always tought that my phone seemed to be overheating. There is a causal connection.
    I just want to add that I find very disappointing Samsung's reaction to my calls to client service: they are not even interested in opening a ticket on this issue.
    01-15-2015 05:22 PM
    I have tried everything with my S4 and Sim Card error. I just installed the app, Bluetooth Conncect and Play. Hoping that it works. I also think it is related to bluetooth or wifi connectivity.
    Wondering if you have had any issues since you tried this.
    01-15-2015 06:03 PM
    They don't deserve your money. Just carry a USB battery charger with your non-Samsung device!
    01-15-2015 07:01 PM
    I've had this message for about 2 weeks, and looks like I've fixed mine, going on 4 days with no sim/reboot message

I'll go through exactly what i did
    first i cleared the cache via power/volume button, but i still got the message, so i doubt that did anything

then i opened app manager and cleared the cache of Galaxy apps app, i pushed the disable button it but it wanted to install the original version so i canceled that... I'm just saying exactly what i did here

then i opened the Galaxy apps app, the one that looks like a box w rainbow U, and turned OFF "auto update apps"

no message now for days, considered fixed

*you've got to clear the cache before changing the settings as clearing the cache will reset your settings

TLDR:
    1) app manager - galaxy apps - clear cache
    2) open galaxy apps app - settings - turn off auto update apps
    01-16-2015 02:15 PM
    While I wait to hear back from fast96 (posted 12-31-2014) to see if the replacement of the sim card tray has fixed the problem, I will try removing my 64GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card from my S4. First thing I did when I got the phone 15 months ago was inserting that card and I also always tought that my phone seemed to be overheating. There is a causal connection.
    I just want to add that I find very disappointing Samsung's reaction to my calls to client service: they are not even interested in opening a ticket on this issue.
    Almost two days without the SD card and my S4 has been running ever since without giving me the "SIM not detected" error. My phone does not overheat anymore.
    01-17-2015 03:31 PM
    Thank You, this just saved me a ton of money.
    01-18-2015 12:17 AM
    TLDR:
    1) app manager - galaxy apps - clear cache
    2) open galaxy apps app - settings - turn off auto update apps

I was wondering if your fix is still working. I recently switched from Verizon to ATT and got my wife an S4 from Ebay. Started getting the error message yesterday. She is not happy.

Hoping your fix is still working.

Thanks

Wm.
    01-19-2015 12:17 PM
    really hoping Fast96's would report back...

seems so many people have same problem, yet no one has found real solution... strange.
    01-20-2015 05:08 AM
    Can this many galaxy's have a connection issue with the sim card!? What is Samsung going to do about it?
    01-20-2015 07:43 AM
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TRY IT. WORKED FOR ME.

I had this problem from start of 2015 (Summer here in New Zealand)

My Galaxy S4 LTE 19505 would say no sim card and restart device etc.

It would be intermittent, coming and going, sometimes just re inserting the sim card worked, for a while.

Until today. It was permanently not picking up my sim card. Nothing I did fixed it.

I tried factory reset. I tried clearing the cache in recovery. I tried packing out the sim card with paper etc. I tried a different sim card.

I just read this post from a user above

"I have the fix people,,, I tried all the software route,,, it's hardware, pop out the sim card press on what holds it in firm but no to firm...push sim card back in,, mine has been OK for 2 weeks now.. a T mobile guy told me that is a common hard ware prob with S4 the holder get lose,, bending it in a tag fixed it"

So what I did was take my sim out of the tray/slot, then pressed firmly all over the sim card holder area, bending it downwards a little bit.
    I then re-inserted my sim card and it works perfectly now for 5 hours and no problem.

From not working at all to working for 5 hours.
    01-20-2015 03:59 PM
    dont get your hopes too high
    I tried putting strip of tape on top of sim card to make it more tight fit, which probably does samething as pressing down on sim holder.
    it didn't fix.
    I dont think it has anything to do with sim card making good or bad contact
    Radiolaire likes this.
    01-20-2015 04:45 PM
    I have tried too. Did not work for me.
    01-20-2015 08:53 PM
    Almost two days without the SD card and my S4 has been running ever since without giving me the "SIM not detected" error. My phone does not overheat anymore.
    Well! My solution, removing the SD card worked for 4 days. The problem restarted. "Unable to detect your SIM card. Your device will restart to check for your SIM card". I am putting back my SD card.
    Next step is to to order a new SIM and SD card tray and replace it.... I am not convinced it will work. I have a feeling that I would need to change the motherboard: an avenue I want to avoid because I read the part is very expensive. I prefer to invest in another device.
    I forgot to mention that I had a Note 2 before my S4 that also had serious hardware problems: it was freezing all the time. Why did I get another Samsung? I should not have, that was a mistake!

Their client service is so upsetting, my device is only 15 months old... They say they have a policy of not helping customers that have a device older than one year. I think that their products are not warrantied long enough. I had experimented about the same story with my Note 2.

I will keep you informed if I ever resolve this problem. No matter what happens, this will be last Samsung product that I will purchase.
    01-20-2015 10:10 PM
    I've had the same problem as the rest of you and tried most everything. I suspected a bad SIM/SD card reader, because my phone was dunked in a lake this summer -- but the problem only really got bad just recently, several months after that event and after the phone was cleaned and returned to service.

So, I started to think it was software related, particularly because it worked great for about 6 hours after getting a new SIM card, but then went into the same loop again.

I may have a fix. At least, several days later, it is still working fine. No matter whether I charge all night (and it gets warm) or if I have it in my pocket or whatever. Here's what I did.

I rebooted into safe mode. Removed any excess apps. In particular, I uninstalled a Klondike solitaire game from Softick. Rebooted normally.
    Since that time, it has only shown me a "SIM not inserted" error once.

I don't know that it is that app precisely, but I did try to download and install it again, and the problem returned. So I guess I'm saying that it may be other apps as well, which are, for some unknown reason, not playing well with 4.4.4.

Give it a try. Your mileage may vary...

Liz
    01-21-2015 11:13 AM
374 ... 45678 ...