Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected

Mukesh Joshi

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
yes i m having a problem coz when m choosing mobile networks it is displaying "insert sim cerd to access mobile network" even when the sim is already in the phone

Milt89

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Anyone having this issue also use a large capacity/high speed microSD? I've also had microSD issues, and wonder if the heat is the SD's fault.

Antti_K

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
HOHOHO! Merry Christmas :D and stuff! (time to buy a new Samsung? or not...

I´ve had this "Sim removed-" problem on my GT-I9505 LTE here in Finland for about 3 weeks for now. I have noticed that the phone gets really really hot (like 60 celsius or more!!!) around the SIM- slot at some random time of the day. I roam very much allover the 2g,3g and 4g-areas around my neighborhood and might it be really a problem with some overheating components... I´ve had a Sandisk 8GB Class4 MicroSD card in but now i removed it and reflashed my phone to the newest 4.2.2 Firmware and hope for the best. I will be informing the results here!

I´f it seems to be working, i´ll report here. If not, i´ll still report. O:)

Cheers,

Antti

MVMinGA

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought my children brand-new Galaxy S4 Minis for Christmas at the AT&T store.

They opened them up happily. My daughter's works - no problems.

My son's gets "No SIM Card" error and he's unable to make a phone call.

These are BRAND NEW phones.

I am very unimpressed at the moment. Advice?

Joe Noxon

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected FIX

I tried this and the first time I used a thin piece of plastic (about credit card thickness) I had no issues for around 1 week and then they started again. I just put a thicker piece of plastic in there yesterday and so far so good. there is a noticeable warp in the back of my phone though. i don't really care as long as it functions.

My wife and I got the phones just over a year ago so I am stuck for another year. she has never had any issues like this but mine does. after reading through these posts I don't think I would want to bring it back to AT&T just to get a sim card that will die anyway. I hope this can just keep it going for another year or an actual "fix" is found instead of a workaround.

fast96

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have not posted here very often, but I will try to help. My s4 started to have this issue in the last week. My phone is a year and a half old, has been thru many software customizations. NEVER had this issue till now. I've had all the different stock ROMs on it, as well as cyanogenmod 10 & 11 . Recently went back to stock, it that was a month or so ago. Yes, my phone gets hot from time to time, but they all do. AT&T wanted to replace/fix the phone for $200 because it's out of warranty. That's crap. I will post an update when I get my replacement sim card slot. EBay for $5 delivered. Watch the video on YouTube for galaxy s4 disassembly. I have repaired many tablets, laptops, and I phones. It's easy. I don't know if this will fix the issue, but for $5 and 15 minutes worth of effort, we will see. BTW I got this error on both android 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 and the tech at ATT said it was hardware related. Give me a few days to post results

fast96

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Follow up #1
Since I have to wait for the new sim/sd slot card to show up, I thought I would check things out on the inside of the phone. Bear in mind I am a 66 year old machine tool builder and a wanna be geek. This thing is super easy to take apart, just be deliberate and patient. Watch the video. All you have to do is disassemble to the point where you can see the connector for the card to motherboard. There is a short ribbon cable that connects the two. Looking at mine VERY closely, from the side, I could see that the ribbon side of the connector was just a little higher (raised). I'm only talking about the connector being a couple of degrees tilted in reference to the motherboard. So, I assumed that when I had a small drop a couple of weeks ago, I might have loosened it a little. The connector has a small black foam pad on it, which probable is designed to apply a little pressure to the connection. When I applied a little force to "seat" the connector, it sat right down and looked parallel to the motherboard. I then thought about keeping it there. I am sure these phones are designed to have zero, or "near" zero clearance. So I applied a small piece of duct tape (1/8 x 1/4") to the matching area of the cover/frame. This area is also a black rubber pad built into the underside of the cover. I think this should keep the connector seated. Fingers crossed. LOL
I will update in a week or so.
Dan

fast96

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I know it's early, but this worked. No sim card remover errors for more than a day. It may not be everyone's problem, but if you don't at least try this to fix it, you may be missing out on a cheap fix. The connector on my phone was only a very little out of position, but apparently that was enough. I will only update if I get additional problems. If you know other forums that have a topic like this please pass the info on. Zero dollar repairs are the best. :)

Chad Jensen1

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
This can't just be a Kit Kat Issue. I'm running on 4.3 and am also getting this error. I'll be trying the fix that Steve Cormier posted earlier, later today.

fast96

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, I spoke too soon. Last night and today I got 3 more sim card removed errors. The replacement card reader showed up, so I installed it. It had exactly the same markings and rev level, and it is working now. I am crossing my fingers that it continues to work. If you do this repair, be careful removing the old one. It sits on a sheet metal platform and is held in place with 2 sided tape, hair dryer will help warm it, don't bend the metal platform or bend the locating tabs. I will wait a little longer to report this as a success , but will also report if it fails. I really like this phone, and have 6 months to go before I can upgrade, I'll be pissed if it needs a motherboard.

adrian davila1

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected FIX

Hello,

When my Samsung S4 gave me repeated NO SIM CARD errors, I thought I would have to sell my phone for parts. BUT I was able to get it working. It has been up for three days. No problems.

1 - I did an online chat with Samsung. Not much help.
2 - I went to the Rogers dealer and they gave me a new SIM. It worked for about 12 hours. Then the error came back.
3 - Some sites suggest doing the VOL + HOME menu / Clear Cache and / or factory reset. That did nothing, other than waste time.
4 - I placed a strip of business card behind the SIM. That would work for short periods, but I think that was a fluke.

What DID work was the following:

You take apart the phone, including the white interior back plate, including the eight or so little screws.

Turns out that there is a heat related issue that makes it so that the ribbon cable connector that makes the SIM card and the microSD card tray NOT communicate with the mainboard. Maybe there is some slight warping. Anyway. Look at this image:

View attachment 151038

Literally, I trimmed a piece of a guitar pick, and glued it to the black strip on the plastic phone backing. Then, when the phone is reassembled, it puts enough pressure on the ribbon cable assembly that the phone begins working. It was a ten minute fix, and it seems to be holding up just fine. I would try that fix before replacing the SIM tray.

You are the man. This permanently fixed mine. Thanks. Referring to adding the guitar pick on the plastic.

ewil99

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Mine fails constantly while running and NOT on startup. I recently had the SIM changed, which didn't solve the problem. I just tried the recovery/clear cache suggested above. I'll have to wait to see....

Sam Souhami

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I have the fix people,,, I tried all the software route,,, it's hardware, pop out the sim card press on what holds it in firm but no to firm...push sim card back in,, mine has been OK for 2 weeks now.. a T mobile guy told me that is a common hard ware prob with S4 the holder get lose,, bending it in a tag fixed it

Benjy Ruzz

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
When I first had this issue Samsung refused to see that there was a problem with this product i would send it off for repair then recieve it back with a letter saying they had repaired the problem and ran diagnostics and the problem had been solved after having it back for an hour I was surprised to see no sim after two repairs and a argument about sending it in again they replaced it i haven't had this issue for ages until today but luckily I upgrade in 3 months so I'm only a little annoyed.

Posted via my garbage Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited:

Radiolaire

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi fast96, I would really like to know what is the status of your repair as of today, two weeks after the replacement of your card reader in your S4. My story is exactly the same as Steve Cormier's.
Thanks,

Radiolaire

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
While I wait to hear back from fast96 (posted 12-31-2014) to see if the replacement of the sim card tray has fixed the problem, I will try removing my 64GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card from my S4. First thing I did when I got the phone 15 months ago was inserting that card and I also always tought that my phone seemed to be overheating. There is a causal connection.
I just want to add that I find very disappointing Samsung's reaction to my calls to client service: they are not even interested in opening a ticket on this issue.

Charisamc

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I have tried everything with my S4 and Sim Card error. I just installed the app, Bluetooth Conncect and Play. Hoping that it works. I also think it is related to bluetooth or wifi connectivity.
Wondering if you have had any issues since you tried this.

Sword9mm

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I've had this message for about 2 weeks, and looks like I've fixed mine, going on 4 days with no sim/reboot message

I'll go through exactly what i did
first i cleared the cache via power/volume button, but i still got the message, so i doubt that did anything

then i opened app manager and cleared the cache of Galaxy apps app, i pushed the disable button it but it wanted to install the original version so i canceled that... I'm just saying exactly what i did here

then i opened the Galaxy apps app, the one that looks like a box w rainbow U, and turned OFF "auto update apps"

no message now for days, considered fixed

*you've got to clear the cache before changing the settings as clearing the cache will reset your settings

TLDR:
1) app manager - galaxy apps - clear cache
2) open galaxy apps app - settings - turn off auto update apps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol