06-28-2017 07:08 PM
374 ... 56789 ...
tools
    i think so, since then I've only had one sim message, and that's right after i used a cache cleaner after uninstalling a game, going from 3-4 messages a day to 1 in 2 weeks caused by cache cleaner, is a fix
    01-24-2015 11:08 AM
    Hi All,

I can also confirm that applying pressure where the SIM/SD Card reader RIBBON is what makes the fix work, not the SIM card tray itself. This fix worked with a friend's S4 which was having the exact same issue. Mine has been working fine for about a month or so (previously it was having the SIM card error multiple times daily).

It doesn't really matter what you use, however I used a cut up piece of foam (earplug) to apply pressure to the area with the ribbon. My foam was about 0.4cm thick. See the below photo and please note that it was taken with a webcam so the orientation is reversed to what it really looks like.
    Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected-1-25-2015-1-09-38-pm.png

Happy fixing.
    dkeven, Jens Madsen and olatunde like this.
    01-26-2015 12:52 AM
    Hi All,

I can also confirm that applying pressure where the SIM/SD Card reader RIBBON is what makes the fix work, not the SIM card tray itself. This fix worked with a friend's S4 which was having the exact same issue. Mine has been working fine for about a month or so (previously it was having the SIM card error multiple times daily).

It doesn't really matter what you use, however I used a cut up piece of foam (earplug) to apply pressure to the area with the ribbon. My foam was about 0.4cm thick. See the below photo and please note that it was taken with a webcam so the orientation is reversed to what it really looks like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-25-2015 1-09-38 PM.png 
Views:	2701 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	160714

Happy fixing.

I've tried this and it's now working again AMEN you're a life saver!!!!!
    nguyenrt99 likes this.
    01-26-2015 05:44 PM
    I just found this thread today, as I have been experiencing the same issues the past 3 days. I'm going to try this method first. I'll let you know if it worked.
    01-29-2015 02:09 PM
    I agree 100% I noticed the same thing - the error happens more frequently when I use certain apps. The phone gets really hot and starts with the damn sim error message!
    01-30-2015 09:03 AM
    I cut a piece of paper of the size of the sim card. I inserted it in the sim card slot in the back of the sim itself
    01-31-2015 12:11 PM
    I was having the same problem, though it was caused by a jerk kitten knocking my phone into the sink. I was able to fish it out and pull it apart before water got into anything important... or so I though. Once thoroughly dried and pieced together it wasn't recognizing the SIM card. I tried restarting, clearing the cache, and any of the tactics listed through this thread, to no avail. As a child of the Nintendo NES generation, I pulled out the SIM card, rubbed the gold parts with an eraser and blew like hell into the spot it lives in. Miracle of miracle... that's what works. May not for anyone else, but perhaps it will!
    01-31-2015 01:13 PM
    Hi,

I had the same problem and tried everything (inserted a new sim, cleaned the partition cache, read endless posts, etc...)
    Now I have installed this free App called "Bluetooth connect & Play" search for it on Google Play

(I'm not related to this App in any way) and since then, I don't get any reboots

My guess is that there is something wrong with the Bluetooth software in the S4.

Please let me know if that helped you out.
    Downloaded the bluetooth share n play app restarted phone and bingo it worked lol cheers
    02-07-2015 04:39 AM
    Hello,

When my Samsung S4 gave me repeated NO SIM CARD errors, I thought I would have to sell my phone for parts. BUT I was able to get it working. It has been up for three days. No problems.

1 - I did an online chat with Samsung. Not much help.
    2 - I went to the Rogers dealer and they gave me a new SIM. It worked for about 12 hours. Then the error came back.
    3 - Some sites suggest doing the VOL + HOME menu / Clear Cache and / or factory reset. That did nothing, other than waste time.
    4 - I placed a strip of business card behind the SIM. That would work for short periods, but I think that was a fluke.

What DID work was the following:

You take apart the phone, including the white interior back plate, including the eight or so little screws.

Turns out that there is a heat related issue that makes it so that the ribbon cable connector that makes the SIM card and the microSD card tray NOT communicate with the mainboard. Maybe there is some slight warping. Anyway. Look at this image:

Attachment 151038

Literally, I trimmed a piece of a guitar pick, and glued it to the black strip on the plastic phone backing. Then, when the phone is reassembled, it puts enough pressure on the ribbon cable assembly that the phone begins working. It was a ten minute fix, and it seems to be holding up just fine. I would try that fix before replacing the SIM tray.
    After 2.5 months of my phone needing to reboot multiple times a day and trying every other solution, I finally tried this last week and it seems to be fixed (knock on wood). It's been around 5-6 days now without needing a reboot. Too bad I didn't try this before trying the factory reset solution!
    Linda Leon likes this.
    02-08-2015 06:49 PM
    Thank you so much for posting your solution! totally worked for me!
    02-11-2015 02:46 PM
    Guitar pick trick didn't work for me. Well it did for half a day now back to rebooted every 2-3 hours. I want my S4 back!!! Now that said, I glued to the ribbon cable connector rather than the phone backing which could be applying uneven pressure or pressure in the wrong place. So there is a ray of hope.
    k8108 likes this.
    02-13-2015 10:48 AM
    I HAVE FIXED THIS ON MY PHONE

I have not seen anyone mention this and my phone now seems to be function so this looks to be a solution and one that sounds entirely logical.

I did 2 things:

1) Booted in safe mode (hit down volume on restart until it boots into safe mode)
    2) Go to settings/storage and hold cache... clear cache.
    3) Change your APN settings. Look up your carrier's APN settings and enter them in your phone EXACTLY as they have them written.
    4) Navigate to Settings >> More Networks >> Mobile Networks and once in that screen... hold home and power buttons simultaneously (it will take a screenshot... but keep holding)... then the screen will go black and eventually your phone will reboot. I presume this clear the mobile cache or something of that description. It doesn't delete the APN settings you entered previously.

Either way... doing all of the above fixed my phone.
    02-17-2015 02:51 PM
    I just started to have this error,

I'm curious to know if, after adding pressure to the ribbon, anyone who has tried this fix has gotten any of the errors.
    02-19-2015 06:11 PM
    Hi All, Trevor checking in again with an update. My earplug/foam solution to put pressure on the ribbon is still holding up and working fine. In the past two months I've have my phone reboot twice however adjusting the foam around a bit gives it another month or so before it reboots.

Also, remember to place the foam/earplug piece on the left side of the phone (when you are looking down on it) as that is where the Sim card/SD card tray ribbon connects to the motherboard. Another poster mentioned to use a guitar pick (which probably works too) however I think the foam applies more even pressure and easier to find at any hardware store.
    olatunde likes this.
    02-21-2015 11:09 AM
    I've had my note 4 for two months and over the last week, minimum two times a day up to five times, I've been getting the message about it not detecting my Sim card then it needs to restart. I never moved any apps to my SD card and I never broke into my phone. The only thing I changed was the outside case (to the one that has the peek view). I took off the case, took out the Sim card then gently pressed down on the metal mount that houses the Sim card. (I figured it could have loosened up when the Verizon employee touched it or maybe my case doesn't make the housing very secure). Then I carefully reinserted my sim card. So far I have not had any more pop up messages. It's worth a try before going through the hassle of factory restarts or installing a new mount.
    02-22-2015 08:52 PM
    I have had issue of the GS4 asking for a reboot after "SIM Card Not Detected" error.
    Nothing to do with ROM, cache clearing, SIM itself, anything anyone has brought up. I've tried it all.
    After reboot, it will work, until the next time, which can be hours, days, or withthin minutes, has nothing to do with heat. Happens even just sitting in winter.
    It used to not do this.

So I opened the phone, cut a small 1/8" thick piece of soft ear plug foam (not the hard yellow/orange) bought from Auto parts store for $1. The form will compress considerably and fit in just fine.
    I put it on the connector plug for the SD/SIM board. If you look, Samsung out in a thin pad to apply pressure on that connector. But it was really thin.
    The connector is next to LED Flash and right above the SD card slot.

Now after more than 24 hours I have no more "SIM not detected" errors. Before it will crop up multiple time everyday without fail.

I hope this works for you all. Remember. It must be soft ear plug foam. It compresses and expands as necessary and applies pressure equally. Guitar picks or paper will not work as well as foam.
    My guess is that after normal use, heat, dropping phone, etc. The tiny connectors are not very secure anymore. So even if the boards were replaced, if the connectors are not pressure secured, they won't make good connection and loosen itself.
    JessBird likes this.
    02-23-2015 09:49 PM
    Hi All,

Happy fixing.
    Thanks! this has really worked for me. One week and counting and no more "SIM not detected. Restart" pop-ups!
    JessBird likes this.
    02-24-2015 01:34 PM
    Hi everyone -
    I posted this on the XDA forums as well. It's too early to say if it's a "fix" or not.

There appears to be two revisions of the SIM Card flex cable: rev0.3 and rev0.5. You can see it on the SIM card module, in small font. Most vendors on amazon/ebay/etc do not specify the revision #. It would be funny if they are all providing the earlier revision.

There are a couple vendors that explicitly sell both revisions. in the US, I found the vendor "phonepartsusa" to sell rev0.3 and rev0.5; there are probably more vendors. I just bought a rev0.5 cable, which clearly has rev 0.5 printed on it. I switched my rev 0.3 cable for a rev 0.5 cable a couple days ago and the problem appears gone.

Obviously it's too early to call this a fix, and I'll provide a report later: 7 days, 14 days, etc. Or maybe the problem will return.

What I am curious about, for people that replaced their SIM Card flex cable and who saw the problem re-occur: can you check to see if you have a rev 0.3 or rev 0.5 flex cable? (just pop the cover off, and look for small text that identifies the revision). I'm mostly looking for someone else who has tried a rev0.5 cable either successfully or non-successfully. If there is no such person, then I appear to to be doing a unique experiment.

In all forum posts on the Sim Card error problem, I've only seen statements like "I tried a new sim card reader and the problem returned" which makes no mention about the revision.

Hopefully on to something, we'll see.....
    -marc
    02-25-2015 03:10 PM
    Yes. me. I am going to try a lower capacity sim card and see if that fixes it. I'll let you know what I find out.
    02-25-2015 10:58 PM
    Hi everyone -
    I posted this on the XDA forums as well. It's too early to say if it's a "fix" or not.

There appears to be two revisions of the SIM Card flex cable: rev0.3 and rev0.5. You can see it on the SIM card module, in small font. Most vendors on amazon/ebay/etc do not specify the revision #. It would be funny if they are all providing the earlier revision.

There are a couple vendors that explicitly sell both revisions. in the US, I found the vendor "phonepartsusa" to sell rev0.3 and rev0.5; there are probably more vendors. I just bought a rev0.5 cable, which clearly has rev 0.5 printed on it. I switched my rev 0.3 cable for a rev 0.5 cable a couple days ago and the problem appears gone.

Obviously it's too early to call this a fix, and I'll provide a report later: 7 days, 14 days, etc. Or maybe the problem will return.

What I am curious about, for people that replaced their SIM Card flex cable and who saw the problem re-occur: can you check to see if you have a rev 0.3 or rev 0.5 flex cable? (just pop the cover off, and look for small text that identifies the revision). I'm mostly looking for someone else who has tried a rev0.5 cable either successfully or non-successfully. If there is no such person, then I appear to to be doing a unique experiment.

In all forum posts on the Sim Card error problem, I've only seen statements like "I tried a new sim card reader and the problem returned" which makes no mention about the revision.

Hopefully on to something, we'll see.....
    -marc
    i changed my old sim tray for a rev 0.5 one and was no problem for a couple of days but then started again unfortunately so for me did`nt permenantly fix it for me just short time fix.
    02-26-2015 06:43 AM
    i changed my old sim tray for a rev 0.5 one and was no problem for a couple of days but then started again unfortunately so for me did`nt permenantly fix it for me just short time fix.
    Crap, you are right. For me as well, the rev 0.5 cable did not solve the problem, and a couple days after I installed it I got the dreaded error / reboot. I think it was an interesting thing to try, but it appears the rev 0.5 cable is NOT a solution.

Wondering if, with an unlocked bootloader and a custom kernel, if the "error" can be worked around via software or a kernel that knows about the problem. Obviously it's software that forces a phone to reboot. I wonder if due to the widespread occurrence of this problem, it could be used to leverage Samsung into opening the device up. Probably wishful thinking.

I'm going back to my Galaxy S3; so annoyed I blew $200 on an S4 from ebay. It looks like the Galaxy S5 may also suffer from the same problem, or at least there seem to be a couple reports so far.
    -marc
    02-27-2015 08:58 PM
    Hi All,

Happy fixing.
    i have also tried this method a couple of days without the mesage but has started again now. i change my battery when flat as i have a spare and noticed now the sponge is pretty flat and probably not pushing down as it was when first fitted.
    just an update i fitted another foam piece in place and have again had no rests asked where before i was getting one everytime i put in my pocket so as far as i am concerned itd is defintely the ribbon needs pressure to be kept on to stop the reset message.will have to fit something hard plastic to keep constaint pressure to ribbon connector point.
    BPryce likes this.
    02-28-2015 05:46 AM
    Hey all,

Just thought I'd post what fixed it for me. I tried most of the items suggested (cache clear, reset, paper in sim slot, bluetooth app?, etc), but as found on other sites what fixed it is pressure on the ribbon cable location.

You can see if this will solve your problem easily without taking your phone apart with some double sided tape (for thickness and easy application). You can see I put a small strip just beside the LED and it only creates a small bump on the back of your case. I've gone an entire week since the fix without the issue coming up again where it would happen about twice a day previously.

Hope this helps others!
    Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected-img_20150301_083152.jpg
    Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected-img_20150301_083235.jpg
    Jordan Tucker1 likes this.
    03-01-2015 07:39 AM
    A week now and still no Sim error. Earplug foam on the SIM connector plug really works.
    Just have proper plastic tool to crack open the screwed in cover (after removing screws) so you don't damage it.
    03-01-2015 10:35 AM
    Hi

I've been looking this thread since a few months ago expecting to find a solution because i've been experience this issue since november.

My phone is out of warranty and I took it to a repair center. The guy there change the sim resistors twice but it didn't work, because it worked fine just 1 or 2 days, so I thought that's it for my phone, but, i don't remember in which forum read about an app that check the sim status constantly and it worked for the user. So, i downloaded on google play "Sim Card Info" and it has been a week with no Sim Card Removed message again.
    03-01-2015 05:14 PM
374 ... 56789 ...