05-14-2013 11:22 PM
242 12345 ...
tools
    Attachment 67462

HATE ALL THE PHONEZ.

Folks need to chill. The HTC One appeared to get more love because it was first, and it landed at a relatively dead time, and because it was a bigger departure from previous HTC phones on the software side as well as all Android phones on the hardware side.

We're gonna cover the **** out of the GS4, just like we did the GS3. Remember that when folks start complaining about how many GS4 stories we're doing. Or how they might seem to be too simple, never mind that a buttload of first-time smartphone owners will be picking up a GS4.

As a soon to be first time GS4 owner (and smartphone owner), I appreciate the up-coming, reviews, and "GS4 For Dummies" articles that will be posted, as they will be very helpful to me!

EDIT: Will there be similar articles for the HTC ONE? Just wondering...I suppose there will be..my guess.
    Ah..... Help, How-To, and Tips for Android | Android Central
    BINGO!!!
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    05-08-2013 09:24 AM
    As a soon to be first time GS4 owner (and smartphone owner), I appreciate the up-coming, reviews, and "GS4 For Dummies" articles that will be posted, as they will be very helpful to me!
    Welcome Bob.
    05-08-2013 09:29 AM
    Man I told myself I wasn't going to jump in here....but here I go:

(Think Sam Kennison)

IT'S A PHONE!!!!! THIS IS A FREE SITE!! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!!! OH OAAHHHHHH!!!!

Ok that's better. ..

Seeing these forums turn into some Lord of the Flies warfare between the camps (because really its all quite juvenile don't you think?) is at the same time amusing and frustratingly sad to me. I know some of you are still making dinner reservations for the prom, but for the most part, we're all adults here I'm guessing. I love this site and have been reading Phil and the guys since my days with the Droid Inc (may she rest in peace). They're sort of these Android celebrities to me at this point: they go to the cool shows and conferences, have ALL the latest tech gear and get to play with it and report back to us. And that's why I value their opinion. Keyword = opinion, and you can call it bias all you want, but to me that implies 'agenda' and I just don't think that exists here. Also, I think its very important to remember the perspective these opinions are coming from. I would prefer a stand-alone review of the S4 for example without all the comparisons to the S3 or the One, but I think its unavoidable and of course in some cases the comparisons are helpful....I get that. So I know that going in and so what I do with the reviews is just sift through for the bits that matter to my decision. Yes the S4 is quite an iterative visual design, but I don't have an S3, so I don't care. Yes the One is aluminum and visually more appealing to a great deal of folks, but I look at the screen when I use the phone, so I don't care. I guess my overall point is that I wish the flamers and trolls and flaming trolls or slaggers or whatever you call them would just back up a sec and keep some perspective about this amazing technology age we're enjoying. All this bulls**t back and forth about my phone can beat up your phone reminds me too much of the whiny kids that kick my **** in Call of Duty...but i digress. Don't get your feelings hurt or your knickers in a twist because an editor of this FREE site that does ALL THE RESEARCH FOR YOU and then reports to all of us FOR FREE doesn't join Team Galaxy or Team One.... seriously.

/end rant
    karmamule likes this.
    05-08-2013 09:36 AM
    Attachment 67462

HATE ALL THE PHONEZ.

Folks need to chill. The HTC One appeared to get more love because it was first, and it landed at a relatively dead time, and because it was a bigger departure from previous HTC phones on the software side as well as all Android phones on the hardware side.

We're gonna cover the **** out of the GS4, just like we did the GS3. Remember that when folks start complaining about how many GS4 stories we're doing. Or how they might seem to be too simple, never mind that a buttload of first-time smartphone owners will be picking up a GS4.
    That was how I explained it earlier. The One is -different-. To a reviewer, that's exciting, especially when so much rides on the success of this phone.
    05-08-2013 09:36 AM
    Man I told myself I wasn't going to jump in here....but here I go:

(Think Sam Kennison)

IT'S A PHONE!!!!! THIS IS A FREE SITE!! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!!! OH OAAHHHHHH!!!!

Ok that's better. ..

Seeing these forums turn into some Lord of the Flies warfare between the camps (because really its all quite juvenile don't you think?) is at the same time amusing and frustratingly sad to me. I know some of you are still making dinner reservations for the prom, but for the most part, we're all adults here I'm guessing. I love this site and have been reading Phil and the guys since my days with the Droid Inc (may she rest in peace). They're sort of these Android celebrities to me at this point: they go to the cool shows and conferences, have ALL the latest tech gear and get to play with it and report back to us. And that's why I value their opinion. Keyword = opinion, and you can call it bias all you want, but to me that implies 'agenda' and I just don't think that exists here. Also, I think its very important to remember the perspective these opinions are coming from. I would prefer a stand-alone review of the S4 for example without all the comparisons to the S3 or the One, but I think its unavoidable and of course in some cases the comparisons are helpful....I get that. So I know that going in and so what I do with the reviews is just sift through for the bits that matter to my decision. Yes the S4 is quite an iterative visual design, but I don't have an S3, so I don't care. Yes the One is aluminum and visually more appealing to a great deal of folks, but I look at the screen when I use the phone, so I don't care. I guess my overall point is that I wish the flamers and trolls and flaming trolls or slaggers or whatever you call them would just back up a sec and keep some perspective about this amazing technology age we're enjoying. All this bulls**t back and forth about my phone can beat up your phone reminds me too much of the whiny kids that kick my **** in Call of Duty...but i digress. Don't get your feelings hurt or your knickers in a twist because an editor of this FREE site that does ALL THE RESEARCH FOR YOU and then reports to all of us FOR FREE doesn't join Team Galaxy or Team One.... seriously.

/end rant
    Glad you're interested in that. I'm about 1000 words into a review of the S4 that's aimed to do that very thing.
    dustinfrank likes this.
    05-08-2013 09:39 AM
    Attachment 67462

HATE ALL THE PHONEZ.

No Phil, just no. I won't hate all the phones. In fact I love all the phones.

I also dont think that the love for the HTC One had anything to do with it coming out first. It has to do with attitudes here from you and the staff.

If you hate touchwiz so be it. If you hate plastic, so be it. But if you want to spend 20 mins mocking the above and not teaching me about the S4, or helping me decide what pros and cons each phone has then I'll take my time going elsewhere for my info.

Phil, I love this site. I love you, Jerry, and Alax. But this year you lost my respect due to the antics displayed in your videos, reviews, and comments here in this forum.

I never had to dig so hard in finding out the truth about the HTC One and the Samsung S4 as in the past year or two.
    Want my respect back, stop being so dead set about this being about who came out first. Start reviewing the S4 as if we want to learn something and not hear your rants about plastic or the OS...it's working for Samsung well, why should they change just for you?

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!
    barryl85, tohio and txtoast like this.
    05-08-2013 09:54 AM
    I can't get a S4 or HTC One (yet.. Soon hopefully) but I went to the store and I liked the HTC One more. Not saying Samsung is bad (obviously) and I liked the S4. I just think the HTC One is a good phone and it's different so that's what has my interest.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    05-08-2013 09:56 AM
    I never had to dig so hard in finding out the truth about the HTC One and the Samsung S4 as in the past year or two.
    Want my respect back, stop being so dead set about this being about who came out first. Start reviewing the S4 as if we want to learn something and not hear your rants about plastic or the OS...it's working for Samsung well, why should they change just for you?
    Not really sure that that means, given that the HTC One and GS4 are, like, two months old, but OK. Or that we're "dead set" on anything because one phone came out first. And if anything, I feel like I'm the only kid in class *not* ranting about plastic or the OS.

Not sure where you're getting this from. Folks need to stop making so many assumptions about what we think.
    05-08-2013 10:02 AM
    Not really sure that that means, given that the HTC One and GS4 are, like, two months old, but OK. Or that we're "dead set" on anything because one phone came out first. And if anything, I feel like I'm the only kid in class *not* ranting about plastic or the OS.

Not sure where you're getting this from. Folks need to stop making so many assumptions about what we think.
    I think you might be surprised as people get to use the S4 more of what they might think, guys. Especially when there's a gorgeous 13MP camera with excellent software on it that now opens really quickly after the update.
    05-08-2013 10:12 AM
    I think you might be surprised as people get to use the S4 more of what they might think, guys. Especially when there's a gorgeous 13MP camera with excellent software on it that now opens really quickly after the update.
    Exactly. I don't think there's anyone here who hasn't said that about the GS4. (Speaking of which, where's my update! Damn Samsung. I'm going back to the .)

lulz
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    05-08-2013 10:14 AM
    Exactly. I don't think there's anyone here who hasn't said that about the GS4. (Speaking of which, where's my update! Damn Samsung. I'm going back to the <insert phone you hate here>.)

lulz
    One day removed and I'm not feeling the placebo effect. I wish they'd let us see the change log for this thing, but regardless it definitely improved the performance of the device. I saw Klug go crazy last night on Twitter trying to get that update. He's got 455 hours left.
    05-08-2013 10:17 AM
    waiting for someone to complain, if they havent already that Phil put the One fourth behind all the other phones in his pic. I see bias in that pic.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    05-08-2013 10:22 AM
    One day removed and I'm not feeling the placebo effect. I wish they'd let us see the change log for this thing, but regardless it definitely improved the performance of the device. I saw Klug go crazy last night on Twitter trying to get that update. He's got 455 hours left.
    I've seen the changelog. This is verbatim:

• Better touchscreen sensitivity.
    • Fixes to ISIS notifications
    • Multiwindow now off by default
    • S Health updated

But then again, why'd I bother checking on that if I hate the S4 so much?
    dustinfrank likes this.
    05-08-2013 10:24 AM

• S Health updated

Does better touchscreen sensitivty mean no more false taps? Uh oh, I mentioned a negative. Pitchforks are being brandished as we speak.
    05-08-2013 10:29 AM

• S Health updated

Phil, interesting but none of those would seem to account for substantially less RAM being used post-update. I think we are seeing about 300-400mb less RAM now which would make things speedier right?
    05-08-2013 10:29 AM
    Phil, interesting but none of those would seem to account for substantially less RAM being used post-update. I think we are seeing about 300-400mb less RAM now which would make things speedier right?
    Not necessarily.

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Aquila likes this.
    05-08-2013 10:32 AM

In the past it was easy for me to just come to this site and read or watch reviews from you guys and get an honest amount of feedback and info. This year, I had to dig real deep, even goto many other review sites, and still learned little to nothing. Why? Because unlike in the past, we only had forum trolls. This year, your staff has had issues here on this forum. Mostly its been Kevin. Yesterday it was Jerry.

As for assumptions, all it takes is for you to watch the video review of the HTC One and Samsung S4 to see just what I'm talking about. That special podcast on the S4 was nothing short of a joke, and I know you can do better.

maryjane2300 and tohio like this.
    05-08-2013 10:33 AM
    As a Note 2 owner, may I just say that mine is bigger than BOTH of yours?
    05-08-2013 10:34 AM
    Does better touchscreen sensitivty mean no more false taps? Uh oh, I mentioned a negative. Pitchforks are being brandished as we speak.
    Personally I find this whole issue silly.
    But go ahead and say something negative about the One in the One thread and see just how friendly they are over there. It wasn't pretty 2 or 3 months ago.

05-08-2013 10:39 AM
    That special podcast on the S4 was nothing short of a joke, and I know you can do better.
    That was our first time trying something like that. It was ... interesting. Next time we'll have cheerleaders in the background or something.
    05-08-2013 10:59 AM
    So many thoughts running through my head.

A) The Galaxy S3 (the one I own) got SO much coverage last year that I think S4 fans feel like they need just as much this year. But we need to respect and appreciate the fact that the competition is stiffer this year than it was last year. (My Opinion) Because of that, you might have to stand on your own two feet and be at peace with your decision more than you have been in the past when AC or other Android sites praised your S3. If you feel like Android Central (Phil, Jerry, Alex, etc..) isn't holding your hand through your Galaxy S4 ownership, that's your problem and something only you can deal with.

B) I prefer the HTC One as well, although I would shed tears of joy if I was able to own either device. So those of you who have been blessed with the S4 or the One, I wish you'd enjoy it instead of going ape shiz on fellow Android fans.

C) Even though I prefer the HTC One, I always thought fans of that device were the worst of all with flaming. Until yesterday and today reading these threads. I will say this though, I made a comment in a One forum and was irritated by a specific forum member and got one HE** of an infraction. I mean it was a doozy. Wont expire until early 2014 worth 35 points. And I know i'm biased, but it was nowhere near the level of other personal attacks i've seen in other threads here. However, I will accept my stripes and cower in the corner until 2014. I learned to not speak against the One or fans of the One.

D) I REALLY want the HTC One.

E) I REALLY want the S4.

Thanks for everything you guys do, AC. I appreciate the work you put into the site.
    05-08-2013 11:05 AM
    Lol I hear ya. I just get a kick out of people acting like these companies care. Those executives have lunch and vacation together while some will fight tothe death about which one is better.
    Back ti watching ESPN on my Vizio, it's way better than any brand out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 11:23 AM
    Lol I hear ya. I just get a kick out of people acting like these companies care. Those executives have lunch and vacation together while some will fight tothe death about which one is better.
    Back ti watching ESPN on my Vizio, it's way better than any brand out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    If you think Vizio is the best brand out there....I have a bridge over here in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you!!
    05-08-2013 11:28 AM
    Both phones are EXCELLENT! Its just what the person wants or needs.....its funny how we do this with phones, but if you buy a new car, everyone is like "awesome, congrats!" but they may not like the car, either way as long as your happy! Plus it keeps apple on its feet!!
    05-08-2013 11:31 AM
    There's just as much trolling in the One forums and the same kind of flame wars over there but the mods are not even handed. The mods don't weigh in on the many obvious flaws with the One but choose instead to incite in the s4 forums and then throw their hands up in shock and horror that some people take exception to their tactics. Jerry knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he created his post. He knew that by expressing his preference for the One in an S4 forum there would be reaction.

This isn't about his or Kevin's right to an opinion in the slightest. I respect and appreciate their opinions but wish they were more even handed in criticism of phones and users.
    Nah, I just read through the first page of each section (the One, and the S4), without trying to do any type of clean-up, just to get a feel for them (again). Definitely more bickering, arguing, and trolling in the S4 section. I'm not going to speculate why.

Jerry was expressing his opinion after spending a TON of time with the S4. He gave his exact thoughts and ideas as to why people were seeing some of the issues they were seeing. Why did he get attacked for saying he preferred one phone over the other? Was that fair? Is it fair when regular members get attacked or flamed for expressing their preference for one device over the other?

To prove my point, how many posts have you seen start out with "I know I might get some backlash" or "don't flame me" or something along those lines when the member KNOWS they are saying something people might not like. What does that say about us as a community that people are starting off posts like that? Not as individuals, but as a community. AC is known for being friendly and inviting for n00bs and pros alike, but lately what we've (the Mod team) been noticing is that this isn't the case. People in general have been far more confrontational, defensive, unhelpful, and just generally not very "nice".

Unfotunately, so do many of the One users. Are you an equal opportunity flamer?
    Yes. Your perception is not reality.

In the past it was easy for me to just come to this site and read or watch reviews from you guys and get an honest amount of feedback and info. This year, I had to dig real deep, even goto many other review sites, and still learned little to nothing. Why? Because unlike in the past, we only had forum trolls. This year, your staff has had issues here on this forum. Mostly its been Kevin. Yesterday it was Jerry.

As for assumptions, all it takes is for you to watch the video review of the HTC One and Samsung S4 to see just what I'm talking about. That special podcast on the S4 was nothing short of a joke, and I know you can do better.

Listen to the podcasts, read the written reviews. Watch the "How-to....." that have been done for the S4. Plenty of information out there. I'm sorry that you don't like Phil's explanation that he gave above. Some people DO understand what he said, and I thank those people.

As for getting a review "in a vacuum" why? Do you purchase phones in a vacuum? Are you not going to compare devices in the store before you buy them? Alex's review for the S4 had different sections for different parts of the phone, and was very well done in my opinion. I read both reviews, and came away well informed about each device. I think it's unrealistic to think that a reviewer's opinion isn't going to show through at all in a review.

Now, my real question is, because I said some things people might not like in this post, am I going to get flamed and labeled again? We'll see.
    bigdaddytee and Topgonzo like this.
    05-08-2013 11:33 AM
242 12345 ...