Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What surprised me most was that Jerry killed it.
I think what Jerry did was the smartest move. We could of let the thread go on and on and ended up with handfuls of MUCH deserved infractions for insulting, trolling and language but we stopped it before it got to that point.

I mean lets face it, nobody here is ever been shy about circumventing the language filters or getting ugly and personal in their attacks so if we can see its going to turn out badly and we can minimize the outcome then its best we react fast.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying you need to agree with me at all. Take me out of this. You were concerned with the reports you were hearing about "lag" and regardless of people stating the contrary, you kept on with it. You listen to the people, apparently. Now they release an update and the people are reporting the exact opposite. Someone says they fixed the supposed "lag" issue and you're the only one I've seen so far that's even mentioned the change log and that if it's not there, maybe it isn't fixed.

All because you want them to be thorough. So your need for them to care about your experience with a device you don't own/review prompted you to point out that a performance fix wasn't listed on the change log when a user states they fixed it. When an uncounted amount says they fixed it. Here I thought you listened to the reports from other people?

What you're doing is back tracking. I never said you had to agree with me. I said you seem to talk a lot about this phone and it's issues based off of what you've heard, but ignore the positive and punctuate the negative. I'm all for it, too. It's hilarious because it's like clockwork. I'm not even telling you to stop doing it, but you probably have this wide-eyed look at the screen from surprise and shock when someone calls you out on it. You shouldn't.

Bold - Because many people WERE (and still are) reporting the issue. There are two sides. People can report they don't have a problem. Other people can report that they do. You have to listen to both sides, but most of the time you choose not to. You punctuate the positive.

Italics - Now you're being device and manufacturer specific. I was being general. As in, I want ALL companies to be more thorough with changelogs. Maybe stop thinking I'm trying to attack Samsung. My comment about changelogs was directed at EVERY MANUFACTURER.

Underline
- I don't ignore the positive. There are quite a few people that rave about the positives all over these forums. What would my voice add to that mix? The few that are having issues have been previously shouted down. As I've stated before, the negatives (big or small) can't be ignored. The people having issues shouldn't be ignored. But yet it still happens.

For the rest of the underline, nope, not surprised. I don't feel called out. Your response is exactly what I expected it to be. You'll never see how your posts come across from my perspective, and I'll probably never see my posts from your perspective.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Bold - Because many people WERE (and still are) reporting the issue. There are two sides. People can report they don't have a problem. Other people can report that they do. You have to listen to both sides, but most of the time you choose not to. You punctuate the positive.

Italics - Now you're being device and manufacturer specific. I was being general. As in, I want ALL companies to be more thorough with changelogs. Maybe stop thinking I'm trying to attack Samsung. My comment about changelogs was directed at EVERY MANUFACTURER.

Underline
- I don't ignore the positive. There are quite a few people that rave about the positives all over these forums. What would my voice add to that mix? The few that are having issues have been previously shouted down. As I've stated before, the negatives (big or small) can't be ignored. The people having issues shouldn't be ignored. But yet it still happens.

For the rest of the underline, nope, not surprised. I don't feel called out. Your response is exactly what I expected it to be. You'll never see how your posts come across from my perspective, and I'll probably never see my posts from your perspective.

So why are you ignoring the problems on your favored device? Why not accuse HTC of being "shady" for speaker grills falling off when they claim a unibody construction? Just be even handed, that's all I ask.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So why are you ignoring the problems on your favored device? Why not accuse HTC of being "shady" for speaker grills falling off when they claim a unibody construction? Just be even handed, that's all I ask.

? Was htc being shady? Is there a widespread problem with the speakers popping off?
I don't think so. I mean I'm just looking at this neutrally. Or trying too.
Htc spoke of a unibody frame that from what pictures appeared to clearly indicated that speakers were not attached to the back.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
? Was htc being shady? Is there a widespread problem with the speakers popping off?
I don't think so. I mean I'm just looking at this neutrally. Or trying too.
Htc spoke of a unibody frame that from what pictures appeared to clearly indicated that speakers were not attached to the back.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Surprise! The buttons are different pieces too. So is the screen.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The videos of the unibody being milled out of aluminum don't include the speaker grills. That's clear as day. They actually have a separate video showing them being milled as a separate piece (I saw that when I saw Iron Man 3 last night). I get what you're saying, but you picked a poor example. Pretty sure (ONCE AGAIN) that I've acknowledged that the One isn't perfect. People have had to have devices exchanged. I can ACKNOWLEDGE that the device that I own (not mine in particular, but other peoples) isn't perfect and has problems. That's more than I can say for some folks, honestly.

If you want to keep bringing up "shady" then cool. I'm glad you have to go that far back to find evidence of me (not really even) bashing Samsung. Still waiting on someone, ANYONE, to quote me saying that the S4 is a bad or terrible or bug-ridden device. Anything along those lines, actually, would work. I've said that it has performance issues. I've said that I don't like the materials (that's an opinion and preference, not a bug), I think I've said that I prefer LCD displays somewhere along the way, too. But I haven't said the S4 is terrible, not worth the money, or anything like that.

Nitpicking my quotes again, too.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Underline

Who is still reporting the issue? The people who don't have the update? Seriously. That's like me saying my One was overheating (it was), but then reporting it to be an actual issue with the phone even if most everyone else can't replicate it. Read the forums here, XDA, pretty much everywhere; people are either saying it's much faster now or it wasn't lagging to begin with.

I never said you didn't care about all manufacturers in the same light. I'm talking about this specific situation. It's called keeping things in context.

Again, who is still having issues? I've been transparent about the issues this entire time. In fact, I put up a thread addressing it, keeping it in perspective, and offering temporary fixes until the update I said would happen soon. It happened. Not to mention the fact that are -you- really helping anyone? You couldn't discern whether the phone was lagging or stuttering before or after the update because it's not in front of you. Instead, you pass around word of mouth instead of actual experience and it seems to directly contradict what people who actually have the phone are saying. Odd.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Who is still reporting the issue? The people who don't have the update? Seriously. That's like me saying my One was overheating (it was), but then reporting it to be an actual issue with the phone even if most everyone else can't replicate it. Read the forums here, XDA, pretty much everywhere; people are either saying it's much faster now or it wasn't lagging to begin with.

I never said you didn't care about all manufacturers in the same light. I'm talking about this specific situation. It's called keeping things in context.

Again, who is still having issues? I've been transparent about the issues this entire time. In fact, I put up a thread addressing it, keeping it in perspective, and offering temporary fixes until the update I said would happen soon. It happened. Not to mention the fact that are -you- really helping anyone? You couldn't discern whether the phone was lagging or stuttering before or after the update because it's not in front of you. Instead, you pass around word of mouth instead of actual experience and it seems to directly contradict what people who actually have the phone are saying. Odd.

Ehh I still have lag every now and then.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I like this thread better when everyone is mad at Kevin instead of me.

:)

Oh we still love you. Heck, feel free to say what you want about any phone. Just keep what you're saying in context and on topic. Once you go off typic tho, all bets are off and you'll get the same results as in your last thread.

*hugs*

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Bold - I'll use your own example then. It doesn't matter if it can really be replicated. If you have an issue, and can prove it if need be (not to us, but in case of an exchange or something) then it's an issue. You can most definitely post about it in the forums. That's why they're here.

My context was different than yours. You're keeping it in the context that best suits your argument. Nice try. This thread (that you created) was about S4/One bias. Not just one manufacturer. I just kinda went back to the OP.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't get mad at someone when they give an honest experience/comparison with phones they've actually used/owned/reviewed.

I think the idea that one has to own something to have an opinion of it is wrong. 2 examples, one extreme and one directly on point; both illustrate the distinction between knowledge and possession. Clearly we know people can own something and know next to nothing about it, otherwise we'd all be engineers and physicists in order to watch television or drive a car. The reverse is also true. I can study the teachings of others about whatever subject and gain knowledge about it, without necessarily having to repeat every experiment myself.

1. I have never owned a slave, but I know I'd rather not have slaves than have slaves. I can confidently advocate the correctness of my position to anyone contemplating such a purchase, despite never have been in their position directly.
2. I have never owned an iPhone. I've played with several, but never an iPhone 5. That being said, I know, through reviews and comments people have made about it, that nothing changed in iOS therefore I can logically extrapolate that it is still wildly inferior to just about every major Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean flagship device out there.

There is obviously a point where this stops, because clearly you can't describe how something feels, having never felt it... but you can quote trusted sources on their findings. This is why it is not necessary for every human to go to the moon; we sent some people and some robots and got some data and can give everyone a review of what it is like and what things we might be able to find useful varies.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Bold - I'll use your own example then. It doesn't matter if it can really be replicated. If you have an issue, and can prove it if need be (not to us, but in case of an exchange or something) then it's an issue. You can most definitely post about it in the forums. That's why they're here.

My context was different than yours. You're keeping it in the context that best suits your argument. Nice try. This thread (that you created) was about S4/One bias. Not just one manufacturer. I just kinda went back to the OP.

No, it's not an issue, it's an isolated incident. A defect, maybe. If I read that I wasn't the only person having those issues (and honestly, it may be an issue with the One because I didn't bother to look into it much because I knew I was exchanging it), I'd think there was something wrong with the One period, not just my particular unit. There's a difference between a few people having an issue and there being a widespread issue. There's a difference between isolated incidents and something that requires a fix. Is it an issue for that person? Sure, but they may need to return their device. They may need to do a factory reset.

We've been talking about the change log as it pertains to Samsung's update this entire time as it pertains to you and I . That's the context we've discussed and that's the context I kept it in.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can't get mad at someone when they give an honest experience/comparison with phones they've actually used/owned/reviewed.
So because Kevin O'Quinn doesn't own the S4 he has no grounds to give a well researched opinion on it? However he is a One owner, Nexus 4 owner, previous HOX owner and many other devices & tablets so I think he has just as much ground to give opinion as anyone else here.

By the way did I mention I like to drink Pepsi and a majority of the world says Coke is better?

pixeline

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I think we are so so lucky to have two such great phones to choose from. And I am sure which ever one you choose it will be right ... for you ;)

In Denmark where I come from we have the same discussion. Not quite so heated - but it can get pretty ugly too. And I can't for the life of me understand why!

I personally am a Samsung girl ... but at the same time I really wish HTC the best of luck! They have made some great phones in the past and I hope with all my heart they'll make a come back with the One! Does that make me a freak ;)?

pix

Tapatalk@SGS3

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For the record --

I talk a lot with Kevin outside of AC. He's a friend. A lot of times we'll talk about our kids, or cars, or TVs, or even Android. I've heard him say more than once he's extra hard on Samsung because he holds them to a higher standard. I agree, and that's why I'll give Oppo or Sony a pass for including an SD card instead of building a 64GB version, but think Samsung is wrong for doing it. Samsung can do better.

Kevin's a Samsung fan. In fact, I still have one of his old Samsung Android phones here we swapped around for. That craptastic HSPA+42 version of the Vibrant, I think. If he's being overly critical (I don't see it, but like I said I know Kevin and maybe I can take what he says the way he means it) maybe it's because he expects everything Samsung does to excel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis